Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Alchenar posted:

The glitches are all in the form of 'Badgie often stops working'. That's setup to Rutherford and Tendi being in a dangerous situation and needing Badgie's help and he glitches out and they're stuck by themselves, not sudden murder spree

I'd say the fact that he went on a murder spree means that one of his glitches is going on murder sprees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

His pivot to self-awareness was triggered by being smacked in the face. Makes sense he'd be violent.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Super Deuce posted:

References aren't jokes. TV isn't Tumblr.

I dunno, they got some laughs out of me :shrug:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I dunno, they got some laughs out of me :shrug:

The best part about this weird argument is my initial comment actually included "the references were a bit much BUT" :haw:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

His pivot to self-awareness was triggered by being smacked in the face. Makes sense he'd be violent.

And when safeties go on he's suddenly peaceful and joyful. When he should have retained his violence but safeties are on and he couldn't do anything.
Well, according to all the episodes they referenced in holodeck

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The best part about this weird argument is my initial comment actually included "the references were a bit much BUT" :haw:

Yeah I don’t think anyone’s saying that they shouldn’t try to maybe tone down the top-10 namedropping.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

He was faking it, biding his time until the safeties are turned off again. I bet he'll show up again much later in the series, kind of like their Moriarty.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Yeah I don’t think anyone’s saying that they shouldn’t try to maybe tone down the top-10 namedropping.

IMO it works when it's not 10-at-once. Mariner literally just listing Trek characters at the end of ep1 was too much, for example.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

AntherUslessPoster posted:

And when safeties go on he's suddenly peaceful and joyful. When he should have retained his violence but safeties are on and he couldn't do anything.
Well, according to all the episodes they referenced in holodeck

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
poo poo how did I miss it

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

That was a really fun episode.

Oh, there's certainly stuff to nitpick if you're so inclined:
  • They never did say what was so important about this century-old salvage. What, are they worried these junk scavengers are going to learn the secrets of the old-rear end click-clack duotronic computer?
  • A plain computer core suddenly gaining the ability to absorb human brain patterns and move around and speak and fight and forcibly assimilate new technologies like a mini-Borg was a bit of a stretch.
  • Why didn't Rutherford and Tendi say "Computer, give me a phaser rifle" and vaporize Badgie?
  • The references, as usual, were laid on a little thick.
But you know what? I don't care about any of that. I was entertained throughout. It's a humor piece set in the Star Trek universe, and that is this show's first best destiny.

Also, I predict the whole "Starbase 80" thing will become a rather popular reference in fandom.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Now that you mention it, Rutherford could have activated his implant's bad rear end fighter mode but he didn't. Also, I hope that since it's a Vulcan implant, he'll eventually bust out the Vulcan death grip nerve pinch.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The implication is that Badgie is deadlier by far than several Borg.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Powered Descent posted:

They never did say what was so important about this century-old salvage. What, are they worried these junk scavengers are going to learn the secrets of the old-rear end click-clack duotronic computer?

I'll say in case the hard drives weren't scrubbed. Maybe one still potentially has the record of Spock's DNA file and they don't want an alien race to clone him because there's already too many in the universe.

But I totally agree that the episode was good enough that you only notice these things after it ends and you analyze the episode.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Maybe they need old stuff to repair Starbase 80, that loving shithole

(I like that they introduced something here that may or may not pay off, but totally adds to the canon: Starbase 80, where no one wants to go.)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Why the wreckage was important was senior officer poo poo, they even wondered if they'd ever be told. Lower decks officers get ordered to do things they may not have the clearance to understand

Maybe there was unsecured omega directive protocols on board

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

ashpanash posted:

(I like that they introduced something here that may or may not pay off, but totally adds to the canon: Starbase 80, where no one wants to go.)

the guy shouting off-screen was what really made that joke land with me

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

wait are you arguing that because "rarely" doesn't equal "never" that it's not a good observation? Like because we have seen the holodeck used for training a few times in an ocean of Mark Twain simulations, that saying "hey the holodeck is good for all sorts of stuff!" is a dumb point? I genuinely cannot parse what you're trying to say here.
We've seen it enough to infer that it's actually used for training quite often, we just don't see it because it's usually not very interesting. Like, we don't have to see Barry Allen tidying up his house at super speed in every episode of The Flash to realise that he probably does it off-screen all the time, because we've seen him do it at least once.

So yes, it's a dumb point that makes no sense from that character.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 11, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

e: you know what nevermind, I'm just going to enjoy the show and discuss it with the other people who do ITT

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 11, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ashpanash posted:

And Deep Space 3 which is apparently rockin'.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

[*] A plain computer core suddenly gaining the ability to absorb human brain patterns and move around and speak and fight and forcibly assimilate new technologies like a mini-Borg was a bit of a stretch.

I don't think it was actually assimilating stuff, it was just chewing on it. It was dumb. Like Fletcher.

I assume the brain pattern thing was done by the helmet.

The prehensile tentacles I got nothing for, but let's be honest it's not the weirdest thing starfleet's done.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 11, 2020

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

e: you know what nevermind, I'm just going to enjoy the show and discuss it with the other people who do ITT

Tiggum posted:

We've seen it enough to infer that it's actually used for training quite often, we just don't see it because it's usually not very interesting. Like, we don't have to see Barry Allen tidying up his house at super speed in every episode of The Flash to realise that he probably does it off-screen all the time, because we've seen him do it at least once.

So yes, it's a dumb point that makes no sense from that character.

Isn’t it funny that we as fans think it’s funny that Worf gets denied often. It sure would be great if the universe acknowledged us as TV viewers.

It’s really frustrating this is what TV has become. Self references to “reward” fans of their “knowledge” of something. Film and TV is an artistic medium but instead we’re shovel fed this faux gratification bullshit to make fans think they’re part of it. Imagine if Frasier made a joke about Niles and Daphne being a Sam and Diane. Hahahah get it, because we use that as a term for potential TV couplings, wouldn’t it be funny if Frasier did it! Hey Chachi be careful not to jump that shark *wink*.

Hey guys this is like a Q when something blah blah blah, despite in universe very few are meant to know of Q, but because we the viewer know of it, they have to reference it for jokes. It’s honestly the laziest garbage style of writing that I can’t believe people seem to enjoy. Haha they cum in the holodeck!!!!! These are only jokes at best when talking about the show, not in the drat show.

They could write actual jokes that aren’t just telling us out of universe observations of itself, but instead this. This show is honestly a Reddit thread in cartoon form.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Martytoof posted:

Without detracting from the argument that fan service references are going to be played out really quickly if they’re not sprinkled in more carefully and less obviously, I don’t think just making up canon non-TV-episode references would work for jokes at all.
Just wanted to mention that, since you were replying to me, I agree with you on this, which means the referential humor in general just needs to be trimmed for some better written jokes.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Super Deuce posted:

Isn’t it funny that we as fans think it’s funny that Worf gets denied often. It sure would be great if the universe acknowledged us as TV viewers.

It’s really frustrating this is what TV has become. Self references to “reward” fans of their “knowledge” of something. Film and TV is an artistic medium but instead we’re shovel fed this faux gratification bullshit to make fans think they’re part of it. Imagine if Frasier made a joke about Niles and Daphne being a Sam and Diane. Hahahah get it, because we use that as a term for potential TV couplings, wouldn’t it be funny if Frasier did it! Hey Chachi be careful not to jump that shark *wink*.

Hey guys this is like a Q when something blah blah blah, despite in universe very few are meant to know of Q, but because we the viewer know of it, they have to reference it for jokes. It’s honestly the laziest garbage style of writing that I can’t believe people seem to enjoy. Haha they cum in the holodeck!!!!! These are only jokes at best when talking about the show, not in the drat show.

They could write actual jokes that aren’t just telling us out of universe observations of itself, but instead this. This show is honestly a Reddit thread in cartoon form.

Why are very few meant to know of Q? It's a godlike being known to gently caress with Federation ships including the flagship multiple times. It would be insane if every single Starfleet person did not know of Q.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

socialsecurity posted:

Why are very few meant to know of Q? It's a godlike being known to gently caress with Federation ships including the flagship multiple times. It would be insane if every single Starfleet person did not know of Q.

You'd think there would be a safety brie... oh. Maybe not.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

socialsecurity posted:

Because it’s what the universe has established.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Super Deuce posted:

Because it’s what the universe has established.

Where/When was this ever mentioned?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

socialsecurity posted:

The opposite was established: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BVFW4nugkc

ETA: in the beta-canon autobiography of Picard he says that he and Dr Crusher agreed to invite Q to their wedding because if they hadn't then he'd just have shown up anyway. Then there's a footnote from Q saying that they're right, he would have. Then there's an footnote from the editor saying they don't know how the previous footnote got into the document, and they can't get it out.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 11, 2020

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

socialsecurity posted:

When Sisko mentioned to Kira he heard of him in a briefing and she and Jadzia both look dumbfounded. Kira isn’t Starfleet sure, but Jadzia being having no clue means something. Same as the fact Sisko has to mention he only knew of him from a briefing and has to defer to someone with direct experience with him.

But it’s okay because we saw it on TV so it makes total sense for it to be a joke to say Hahahah Q over and over.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Super Deuce posted:

When Sisko mentioned to Kira he heard of him in a briefing and she and Jadzia both look dumbfounded. Kira isn’t Starfleet sure, but Jadzia being having no clue means something. Same as the fact Sisko has to mention he only knew of him from a briefing and has to defer to someone with direct experience with him.

But it’s okay because we saw it on TV so it makes total sense for it to be a joke to say Hahahah Q over and over.

One character didn't know 15 years prior in universe, is the basis of your scathing essays against this cartoon show. Take a step back man and look at what you are doing.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

socialsecurity posted:

One character didn't know 15 years prior in universe, is the basis of your scathing essays against this cartoon show. Take a step back man and look at what you are doing.

Being honest about how bad the writing is? Is that what I should take a step back from? Because something is a cartoon gives it an excuse for being bad?

Oh btw in that Voyager episode it starts with only Janeway knowing who or what Q is.

The point is that saying Q!!! isn’t a drat joke. It’s like you didn’t read anything else in the post.

Listing things we, the viewer, have seen that can be considered silly isn’t a joke. This show has had no jokes yet.

Edit - how long before a joke about lizards maybe being future people and someone else says to ignore that happened?

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 11, 2020

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
By the time of Lower Decks, Q is no longer anon.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Payndz posted:

By the time of Lower Decks, Q is no longer anon.
This isn't a joke because we don't know that Qanon existed in the Star Trek universe because we never saw anyone say so on screen :agesilaus:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Other reasons this episode was better: Mariner and Bomlier were dialled back like 50%. They're a lot more watchable when they're Futurama-dysfunctional rather than Rick & Morty-dysfunctional.

Show self awareness joke - the show straight up acknowledged the problem that 'Mariner should not want to be in Starfleet' and then rushed straight past that point without resolving it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Super Deuce posted:

Being honest about how bad the writing is? Is that what I should take a step back from? Because something is a cartoon gives it an excuse for being bad?

Oh btw in that Voyager episode it starts with only Janeway knowing who or what Q is.

The point is that saying Q!!! isn’t a drat joke. It’s like you didn’t read anything else in the post.

Listing things we, the viewer, have seen that can be considered silly isn’t a joke. This show has had no jokes yet.

Edit - how long before a joke about lizards maybe being future people and someone else says to ignore that happened?

Please stop watching this show, it's not making you happy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Please stop watching this show, it's not making you happy.

This one does not spark joy.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Alchenar posted:

Other reasons this episode was better: Mariner and Bomlier were dialled back like 50%. They're a lot more watchable when they're Futurama-dysfunctional rather than Rick & Morty-dysfunctional.
I've never seen Rick & Morty, but the more I hear about it the less I want to. It just sounds appallingly cynical and nihilistic and cruel and "oh, does this OFFEND you?" :smug: edge-lordy. (Twentysomething me would probably have loved it, but now...)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Payndz posted:

I've never seen Rick & Morty, but the more I hear about it the less I want to. It just sounds appallingly cynical and nihilistic and cruel and "oh, does this OFFEND you?" :smug: edge-lordy. (Twentysomething me would probably have loved it, but now...)

I mean this is broadly true, but it still is very funny on occasion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I think my favorite part of this episode was when Badgey couldn't stop threatening to kill Rutherford even as he lay dying in his arms, slowly succumbing to the cold as it sapped away his (virtual) life force.