Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

how can I make a certain domain and all subdomains open in edge and everything else in firefox in windows 10

I want to keep all my work bs away from my personal browser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
dont work on your personal pc wtf lol

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

eh it's easier than hooking my laptop up to my monitor/keyboard/mouse

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

id look for either a program that acts as a url handler in the windows default program panel or if its a login thing, there used to be addons that would switch engines in firefox and chrome per domain

personally i hooked my monitor to my work and home machines (auto input show first on) and grabbed some spare peripherals. a kvm would probably be fine, too, if your work system allows one

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pram posted:

dont work on your personal pc wtf lol

my personal pc is vastly more powerful than what the school issued to me.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

hmm yeah a kvm might be easier. see if I can find a good one

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

my stepdads beer posted:

hmm yeah a kvm might be easier. see if I can find a good one

kvms are overpriced and lovely for usb and hdmi but you can get separate usb and hdmi switches that work fine at a fraction of the cost.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my monitor has a kvm built into it. it has 2 usb inputs for 2 compys and a built in usb hub. you use the OSD to map the video input from each comp to its corresponding usb input so when u change video inputs it swaps the internal usb hub to the same comp. it works really well.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

my stepdads beer posted:

eh it's easier than hooking my laptop up to my monitor/keyboard/mouse

it's stupid but i remote desktop to my work laptop. works well enough (unless I test something with heavy network usage)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Shaggar posted:

my monitor has a kvm built into it. it has 2 usb inputs for 2 compys and a built in usb hub. you use the OSD to map the video input from each comp to its corresponding usb input so when u change video inputs it swaps the internal usb hub to the same comp. it works really well.

Good for switching between your lunix and macOS

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
how in the world would i switch between the same OS??!?!??

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

bobbilljim posted:

it's stupid but i remote desktop to my work laptop. works well enough (unless I test something with heavy network usage)

lol this rules

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

how in the world would i switch between the same OS??!?!??

lol

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

my stepdads beer posted:

lol this rules

I should note that you have to use the old remote desktop app that is included as a windows feature. The new one in the app store seems to be a complete rewrite so while it has a desirable feature that the old one doesn't (ability to use ctrl + alt + down in remote PC) it also doesn't work for poo poo and lacks multi monitor support

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

bobbilljim posted:

I should note that you have to use the old remote desktop app that is included as a windows feature. The new one in the app store seems to be a complete rewrite so while it has a desirable feature that the old one doesn't (ability to use ctrl + alt + down in remote PC) it also doesn't work for poo poo and lacks multi monitor support

you mean sending ctrl+alt+del via RDP? that's always been possible, the shortcut is ctrl+alt+end

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
hey i just came across this today, haven't tried it yet but looks like a great idea

https://haim.dev/posts/2020-07-28-dual-monitor-kvm/

it's a hybrid software+hardware kvm that switches monitor inputs with software when you switch your usb inputs with hardware

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cold on a Cob posted:

hey i just came across this today, haven't tried it yet but looks like a great idea

https://haim.dev/posts/2020-07-28-dual-monitor-kvm/

it's a hybrid software+hardware kvm that switches monitor inputs with software when you switch your usb inputs with hardware

huh wow thats pretty clever! it doesnt seem like much work to put together

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Pile Of Garbage posted:

you mean sending ctrl+alt+del via RDP? that's always been possible, the shortcut is ctrl+alt+end

Nah I use ctrl+alt+(down / up arrow ) to duplicate lines of text in visual studio. Due to some weird poo poo apparently the old one will not let you send that, even though theres a setting that you would think would let you do that

https://superuser.com/questions/327...ost%20computer.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Agile Vector posted:

huh wow thats pretty clever! it doesnt seem like much work to put together

i tested it out and it works quite well with one monitor

however it can't control one of my hdmi ports on my samsung monitor. the port works but ddc doesn't seem to work over it vOv. so I gotta get another displayport cable to try multi-monitor support. unfortunately if i'm reading the docs correctly it seems that for each pc/mac you have to use the same ports on both monitors i.e. pc1 -> hdmi1 on all monitors, pc2 -> hdmi2 on all monitors, etc

also my other hdmi port is at a non-standard address or something, so I had to pass 0x5 instead of 0x11 or whatever the correct one is for hdmi vOv weird

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 12, 2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
helping gf setup a side hustle :: anyone willing to recommend a domain name company? i use namecheap but i heard someone say that’s no good

and how to go about using gmail for the email? use gsuite? probably good way to go to have a few users right?

keeping it simple is key

i mean i know those will work but tell me if i’m a fuckin idiot.. regarding my opinion on this but also regarding anything else

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i use iwantmyname

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

I havent had any trouble with namecheap. not that i use my domain hardly

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
namecheap and gsuite are fine. office 365 is also good but iirc pricing usually is a slightly higher than google, though most levels includes desktop office apps and some other handy stuff that you might want

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
The only issue I've had with namecheap is that if you use their email aliasing they will do some filtering on their end, maybe it's better now idk. If you're going to have GSuite handle your mail that's not an issue.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks mates you’ve made my day

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

echinopsis posted:

helping gf setup a side hustle :: anyone willing to recommend a domain name company? i use namecheap but i heard someone say that’s no good

and how to go about using gmail for the email? use gsuite? probably good way to go to have a few users right?

keeping it simple is key

i mean i know those will work but tell me if i’m a fuckin idiot.. regarding my opinion on this but also regarding anything else

I used namecheap and fastmail for my business and it was great. Nice thing about not using Gmail is that it's less confusing to manage the different accounts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
turns out cant use namecheap for .co.nz
anyway now the problem is updating the mx records on the domain website and having google be able to see them. i’m pretty positive i’ve done it right but just wondering if changes haven’t propagated idk.. honestly this domain website my gf chose before i got there seems kinda lovely 😩

it’s quite possible that i’ve done it all right but simply needs time right? shouldn’t but gf called the service and they said it was good at their end and blamed google. i’m wondering if they’re a clown outfit

pointsofdata posted:

I used namecheap and fastmail for my business and it was great. Nice thing about not using Gmail is that it's less confusing to manage the different accounts

yep lol. create the account in an incognito tab so it’s not tempted to link this to that as admin of who and why

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
loving useless kiwi internet companies

kim dot com :argh:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

https://metaname.co.nz/ try these guys, u probably know them since u r also from chch

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobbilljim posted:

https://metaname.co.nz/ try these guys, u probably know them since u r also from chch

might end up using this one 🤔

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

why the gently caress does windows have so many keyboard layouts and laguages and show teh stupid fuckign laguage tray and have win+space switch layouts??? I dont have any other languages/ keyboards set up its such a piece of poo poo!!!

ps if u know how to fix this then cool but otherwise just venting its all good

e: OK why in the absolute gently caress does that disappear from the tray when i focus on remote desktop huh???? why do these things interact

e2: so i installed the languages and kb layouts it was showing in settings, then removed them again and it seems to be chill for now

bobbilljim fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 14, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Ever since I found a third Pi 3B+ I've been meaning to do something that would use all three (the two were previously used for PiHoles doing independent DNS and semi-failover DHCP with a p.iffy rsync-based failover script) so now I think I'm going to try to make a K8 cluster and run PiHole thereon!

:woop:

E: hopefully this will let me also have some free processor to do (other stuff I'm not sure about yet)?

E2: Is K8 literally just "Beowulf but :yaybutt:"?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
from what i understand docker showed up, people wanted to start doing cluster poo poo with tons of tiny dockers, you had this big format war with fleetd and a bunch of competing systems, and kubernetes ended up winning out because people like a thing with a weird name they can say 899 times a day

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

a dude I used to work with and who I chat with from time to time has a bunch of youtubs and blog posts about kubernetes on rpi. his namea jeff geerling

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2020/raspberry-pi-cluster-episode-2-setting-cluster

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Update to previous:

About an hour into building the cluster I noticed that one of the three was freezing every 15-20 minutes. After replicating the behavior by rotating mSD (the same unit froze no matter which mSD card and the cards did not cause freezes on the other two Pis) I suspect this one might have gotten fried when BVMTH discovered the circuit breakers for our apartment last week (which is consistent with the periodic drops in DNS service which originally caused the maintenance).

I'm back to two independent PisHole until I figure out if it's even worth doing a two-node K3/K8 cluster.

:sigh:

E: Still need to set Unbound back up as well.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 27, 2020

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

Update to previous:

About an hour into building the cluster I noticed that one of the three was freezing every 15-20 minutes. After replicating the behavior by rotating mSD (the same unit froze no matter which mSD card and the cards did not cause freezes on the other two Pis) I suspect this one might have gotten fried when BVMTH discovered the circuit breakers for our apartment last week (which is consistent with the periodic drops in DNS service which originally caused the maintenance).

I'm back to two independent PisHole until I figure out if it's even worth doing a two-node K3/K8 cluster.

:sigh:

E: Still need to set Unbound back up as well.

you check the power supply as well?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jenny Agutter posted:

you check the power supply as well?

I swapped power supplies (well, wall warts) at least once but fucker kept freezing.

:shrug:

E: Based on records of the MAC address it was the oldest one of the three so I suppose it was just the machine spirit's time to return to union with the Omnissiah's glory?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 27, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So it looks like there would be some advantage to even a 2-node cluster (mostly in that, having done it, I'll have set up a cluster before so the next and next &c. &c. should be easier), I have some PTO scheduled for the third week in November, I'll try to get it stood up during that.

Am I correct in thinking that doing kubernetes (K3 which is a sawn-off K8 for IoT and poo poo) will be a better option than Docker Swarm?

Will this be the first step on the road of degeneration towards me becoming a worse-posting Methanar? Only time will tell!

:ohdear:

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
the thing that pushed me off of docker swarm was that it wasn't possible to run multiple services on the same port on the same node. if that's not a problem for you then go nuts. portainer was a nice UI for swarm.

k8s, on one hand, was more complex to set up, on the other hand MetalLB solves that problem really nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

chmods please posted:

the thing that pushed me off of docker swarm was that it wasn't possible to run multiple services on the same port on the same node. if that's not a problem for you then go nuts. portainer was a nice UI for swarm.

k8s, on one hand, was more complex to set up, on the other hand MetalLB solves that problem really nicely.

Can you have a hybrid on-prem/cloud thing or does a cluster/swarm/whatever have to be either fish or fowl? These are just Pis for local use and my traffic is miniscule so load balancing isn't a huge concern although it might be fun to get some VMs in a couple of free-tier clouds added in? I'm not cloud-native or whatever, sorry.

:shrug:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 30, 2020