Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Smoked a couple of butts yesterday. Was going to do them either Sunday or Monday, but weather was looking lovely so decided to move it up a few days. Really should have made that decision earlier in the day, but I threw them on at noon. Took this pic at 10pm and wasn't able to pull them until 2am. Wrapped them tight in butcher paper, foil and towels after pulling them and went straight into a cooler. Took it out at 10 this morning and they were still holding strong at 160 and came out perfectly.

Gonna give the new vacuum sealer a workout later this afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I need a quick 101 on smoker boxes and the like.

I have a 10lb brisket that's too big for my portable smoker and my Smokey Joe. I do have a 4-burner gas grill that's likely big enough. So basically I can just get a smoker box or pellet tube (I know Amazen gets recommended), load it up with its fuel, and set it on the grill?

My grill doesn't have lava rocks or any surface under the grills to set it on under the burners, except the drip tray. If it's essential to set it under the grills, I could bridge it across two of the triangular heat spreaders over the burners.

Otherwise I'd set it above burner 1, and then the meat above the other burners. I'm thinking I'd only turn on burner 1, but I'm open to advice. I'll make sure to have enough propane on hand.

What would be the best box/tube for a long, low and slow cook? Can/should I just use the smoker box from my existing smoker?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

LiquidFriend posted:

Meh quality, but great smoke flavor. I don't regret buying one.

I just got mine setup.

Hope to do ribs on Monday.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Put wood chunks on a disposable aluminum tray or cast iron skillet and stick that on top of the burner, and below the grate. Stick the meat on top of the grate. It's difficult to get a grill low enough to smoke and not easier than an actual purpose built smoker, but it will do the job.

You can also set up a hot plate similarly and just stick a box over it, making a smoking shelf out of grilling skewers through the box.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
The new season of Chef's Table on Netflix is all BBQ, highly recommend the first episode about Tootsie Tomanetz, the 85 year old legendary pitmaster at Snow's BBQ in Lexington, TX. A lot of good backstory, and some amazing looking BBQ. I have yet to make it out there, it's a fairly short drive for me - I'll have to remedy that soon.

I should fuckin' hope so!

Sneeing Emu fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 7, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Lol. Whomever writes those must get a kick out of it. I think Twister lists "Dangerous winds" or something similar.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I upgraded to the ThermoWorks Smoke and I think my issues with crazy long stalls might have been due to a bad temp reading on the grill. Same setup I've been doing recently that had me dialed in at 225-240 on the old thermometer was around 180-200 on the Smoke.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Dango Bango posted:

I upgraded to the ThermoWorks Smoke and I think my issues with crazy long stalls might have been due to a bad temp reading on the grill. Same setup I've been doing recently that had me dialed in at 225-240 on the old thermometer was around 180-200 on the Smoke.

Good choice on the upgrade, the Smoke is easily the best thermometer I've used. That's wild your previous setup was that far off, though. What were you using previously?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

qutius posted:

Good choice on the upgrade, the Smoke is easily the best thermometer I've used. That's wild your previous setup was that far off, though. What were you using previously?

ThermoPro TP-20. It very well could have been factors outside of the probe/thermometer that affected those cooks. But I was having to close vents drat near shut to keep it at 225 on the old setup. And things were taking so long I'd end up having to blast it to 275-300 to finish the cook.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can you run them both at the same time to see how much they differ?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Can you run them both at the same time to see how much they differ?

Well that's a novel idea. I completely didn't think of that after boxing up the old one to sell. :doh:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Anybody here have a Fireboard? Heavily considering getting one as a birthday present to myself. They look like they function well and have a good app which is my chief complaint about the Weber iGrill thing that I have now (plus its range blows).

My question about it (and all fan controllers in general): when you use a fan in your smoker, what do you set the top vent to? wide open? open half way?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bob A Feet posted:

Anybody here have a Fireboard? Heavily considering getting one as a birthday present to myself. They look like they function well and have a good app which is my chief complaint about the Weber iGrill thing that I have now (plus its range blows).

My question about it (and all fan controllers in general): when you use a fan in your smoker, what do you set the top vent to? wide open? open half way?

Fireboard and the new Gurus are good choices, in addition to the Thermoworks Smoke and Billows. The new Guru has an app too, which I have and really like.

Usually the top vent is wide open, but I’ve found with my Summit Charcoal sometimes I have to go to half since its pretty efficient.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bob A Feet posted:

WSM 18.5” here. I’ve used the fireboard2 with the pit viper fan for 2 cooks and it’s been great. Easily maintained 225 without issue.

The top vent was fully open.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I fukken love my fireboard.

No fans though.

My old boss has one fanned up with kamado joe and says it is heaven.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Fans are required for the complete experience with any of these gizmos.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Ultimate Mango posted:

I hope they are in stock then, you should have said that 8 months ago!

Oh well I learned some stuff.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have an electric smoker, so I disagree a little.

I love my fireboard and would get the smoke/billows accessory if I ever get a bge or other charcoal smoker.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

toplitzin posted:

I love my fireboard and would get the smoke/billows accessory if I ever get a bge or other charcoal smoker.

Your version of a fan would be getting a PID installed.

It’s crazy how I had temp swings of plus/minus 25 degrees using an electric versus the 5 degree swings using my WSM+ pit viper fan + fireboard. It’s awesome.

Only thing that’s a downside is the need to refuel if I’m cooking a shoulder or brisket.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone do a chuck until its pulled beef?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I've done it a few times. Very hit or miss since chuck can dry out easily.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I have. put some rub on, once it hits the stall I wrapped it with veggies, beer, and Worcester. Cook until it pulls apart easy. Came out good.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

FogHelmut posted:

http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

nwin posted:

Your version of a fan would be getting a PID installed.

It’s crazy how I had temp swings of plus/minus 25 degrees using an electric versus the 5 degree swings using my WSM+ pit viper fan + fireboard. It’s awesome.

Only thing that’s a downside is the need to refuel if I’m cooking a shoulder or brisket.

Mine's pretty stable already.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

toplitzin posted:

Mine's pretty stable already.

drat, mine looked like it was having a seizure.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I can’t loving wait for this Fireboard. You guys got me pumped up!

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Forgot to post my work from Labor Day!

Who likes big beefy ribs?

Just salt and pepper

Right before pulling

After resting an hour

The prize!

Easily my favorite BBQ cut to smoke. Beef ribs > all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We don’t eat much beef any more, but when we do I want to eat those.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

toplitzin posted:

Burn the Witch!!!!

But seriously, I know BBQ Guru made an electric PID for your kind, but that was like back in the dark ages when I got my OG two knob Competitor.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Did it this weekend. Got impatient and threw it on the grill around 185 and pulled it off at 198 and it didn't pull. It sliced and had decent flavor so it was fine. The next day for an experiment I put the leftovers in the oven at 275 and waited for it to hit 205, at which point it still didn't pull and was dryer. Lesson learned :shrug:

When I was doing my chuck this weekend I remembered this recipe existing but couldn't find it. Bookmarked! I think my biggest problem was that I didn't have a disposable pan and didn't want to gently caress with cleaning a normal pan, so I treated the meat like a pork butt and just wrapped it after the stall, but I think sitting it in a pan with its own juices and veggies is key to retaining moisture.

Bob A Feet posted:

I can’t loving wait for this Fireboard. You guys got me pumped up!

Anyone use a HeaterMeter these days? I ordered the kit as an excuse to 3d print something, so I've got lots of soldering in my future. Definitely looks leaps and bounds ahead of the Linksys router hanging off of CapnBry's smoker on the first page of this thread.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I still use one! I’ve only updated it once in the last 7 years—to fix a WIFI issue. It works great for me but every time I pull it out I think “I should see what updates there are”

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Yes, via kenji's method.
I've done both the smoker only and the SV combo method with great success.

The Food Lab: Meet Barbecue Beef Chuck, Brisket's Cheaper, Easier Cousin

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

toplitzin posted:

Yes, via kenji's method.
I've done both the smoker only and the SV combo method with great success.

The Food Lab: Meet Barbecue Beef Chuck, Brisket's Cheaper, Easier Cousin

Thanks for the link. Going to try that out soon.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
This weekend has been a rollercoaster. Due to late plans being made, the pork but I unfroze got moved from being smoke Friday night for Saturday to being smoked Saturday for Sunday. I just got notification that I may have to evacuate for a hurricane (or protect an airplane by evacuating it) tomorrow morning so I moved up my smoke time to right loving now because I don’t have any room in my freezer for it now! Plus I’d like to at least have it for breakfast if anything before I go.

Thank you fireboard! I’m hoping you make this process easy. I say that as I completely overshoot my target temperature (225, sitting at 250 now) during the start.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Feel like I can’t ever properly time a pork butt. Started smoking at 2:30 this morning and I’m still stalled at 175. Into foil and into the fridge it will go and I’ll finish it in the oven tomorrow.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ControlledBurn posted:

Feel like I can’t ever properly time a pork butt. Started smoking at 2:30 this morning and I’m still stalled at 175. Into foil and into the fridge it will go and I’ll finish it in the oven tomorrow.

Never heard of chilling it mid-cook. Curious how it works.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

I did it once before and it worked out okay. Less than half ideal, but kids get angry about the idea of an 11pm dinner time for some reason.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My pork shoulders are consistently done at about 2 hrs an lb or so. Keep in mind it's hard to overcook a pork shoulder to the point it's bad. Last one I did was about 8lbs and I actually planned for about 20 hrs to dinner. It was fantastic.

Generally when doing a cook for the kids or whatever I smoke the day before and then just cook in a crock pot for 2ish hours before serving. It's not as good as fresh out of the smoker but it works for timing.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

ControlledBurn posted:

Wow 17 hours and you’re still at 175? How many pounds is the butt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Stall into the fridge is a bold move.