Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
This recent article about Lumineth allies drops a hint on how Gargant Allies work. Each allegiance can take a single named Mega-Gargant in their army - Order and Destruction get the wonderfully named Bundo Whalebiter, a Kraken-eater Gargant. Presumably Destruction gets access to all of these named Gargants if they want. They presumably take up your Allies point budget, judging by the theme of the article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
We saw their points in GH2020 and they cost 480-490 so i imagine theyll get a note on their datasheet they can ally even over your budget just like Gortrek.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
I could really use some advice on a project I've been contemplating for awhile now. I really love the vibe of the old Warhammer Black Dragon with a rider, but hate the dragon himself (mostly his derpy head). So I want to create something to stand in for it, using a different dragon model. But, I've had no end of trouble trying to figure out how to do a conversion. I'm generally no good with green stuff since I'm still a novice with it.

This is the dragon I picked up to replace him, so now I just need to figure out how to create or kitbash a saddle + character to work with it. I'd prefer not to also have to buy the Black Dragon kit as I've no guarantee it would even work with mine, but if that seems to be the best idea I may have to.

Does anyone have any ideas for how it'd be best to proceed? Ideally I want a really badass dark elf sorceress or something on there in a saddle, so I'd been looking through saddles to see if there were any I could maybe cut away some of the dragons neck to fit in just above his wings but couldn't find any that seemed to come alone, plus there'd be no guarantee they'd work with another figure (the bow legged stance isn't exactly easy to find/convert in my experience so far!)

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I started painting a Slaves to Darkness Warcry warband in january. Then Covid happened and instead of being one of the many things I can do for fun, mini painting became the only thing.

Unfortunately I've only managed to squeeze in a couple of games with them during lulls in Covid, but this too shall pass.

Special thanks to Splintered fang for being so poo poo at Warcry that they made me pick up a STD starter. That escalated quickly.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
My favorite way to play age of sigmar is picking up models I've painted and noticing mistakes, that's it, it's a lot of fun

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Harvey Mantaco posted:

My favorite way to play age of sigmar is picking up models I've painted and noticing mistakes, that's it, it's a lot of fun

There are no mistakes, just unique details.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

How do Nighthaunt sit in terms of competitiveness? Thinking about putting together a small force since by the time I finish painting them it will probably be possible to play games in person again. I'm not looking for like min-max tournament stuff but I also don't want to play an army with bad powercrept rules unless they're at least bad in a really fun way.

Also how the hell do people even transport their armies around for games anymore, looking around at 2k lists it seems like every army has like 3-4 gigantic centerpiece minis that are like 2 feet tall and covered in extremely fragile fiddly bits.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Nighthaunt core are pretty bad but legion of grief from the forbidden power book is actually quite solid. So use that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Nighthaunt suffer from the being one of the first 2e books.

Hope they get a good pass next time around. Going by the Lumineth and how good they are bravery shenanigans I feel the next nighthaunt release could focus a bit more on that.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I want to care about Lumineth but... why cows Gdubs, why...

I ended up picking up an Arkanaut Frigate because I just love the model and the idea of sky dorfs in general. Any good Kharadron Overlords lists? Are they decent on the table? Really just looking for excuses to buy more airships.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

orphean posted:

I ended up picking up an Arkanaut Frigate because I just love the model and the idea of sky dorfs in general. Any good Kharadron Overlords lists? Are they decent on the table? Really just looking for excuses to buy more airships.
A friend has been dominating the local meta with variations of:
12 Endrinriggers / Skywarden
20 Arkaunaut
20 Thunderers
Endrin with harness
Endrin with suit
Navigator
Khemist
3 Gunhaulers
2 Frigates
1 Ironclad
He has been playing KO since the beginning of the faction, so the new battletome was a godsend for him. The mobility and shooting are just awesome, and I'm still sore about that time he basically erased two-thirds of my OBR army with a double turn and some hot dice.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Had no clue about an AOS thread. Been playing a lot of aos on the west coast and now the midwest since 2.0 came out. Been playing Seraphon, Stormcast, and Fyreslayers for the most part. Taking a break from painting aos at them moment but thinking of my next projects. Been getting in games with the new seraphon book and its been fun as someone whos been playing seraphon since pre points days. Will post some painted pictures later, at work right now. What is every one working on? I need to set some painting goals and get back into things, is that a thing we do in this thread?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Had no clue about an AOS thread. Been playing a lot of aos on the west coast and now the midwest since 2.0 came out. Been playing Seraphon, Stormcast, and Fyreslayers for the most part. Taking a break from painting aos at them moment but thinking of my next projects. Been getting in games with the new seraphon book and its been fun as someone whos been playing seraphon since pre points days. Will post some painted pictures later, at work right now. What is every one working on? I need to set some painting goals and get back into things, is that a thing we do in this thread?

I'm workin on some Lumineth spearboyys right now but theyve been taken a while to paint.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm looking between my understrength Idoneth I was in the middle of rebasing, and 40k 9th edition, and my wallet. It's a bad time.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I'm rushing to finish my OBRs before my Lumineths start arriving.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I just realized that "osseous" means "made of bone", so a "Ossiarch" is a bone-ruler.

So the name of the Ossiarch Bonereapers is Boneruler Bonereaper. They're the boneguys. What do they want? Your bones. Where do they live? In the bonecities. What is their equipment made of? Bones. What ammo does their artillery fire? Bones.

Boney bone bones boner boney bone. A fractal made of bones. The closer you look, the more bones you see. Bones.

bones

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

This is the company that gave is Ferrus Manus (iron hands), the iron-handed Primarch of the Iron Hands.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Geisladisk posted:

I just realized that "osseous" means "made of bone", so a "Ossiarch" is a bone-ruler.

So the name of the Ossiarch Bonereapers is Boneruler Bonereaper. They're the boneguys. What do they want? Your bones. Where do they live? In the bonecities. What is their equipment made of? Bones. What ammo does their artillery fire? Bones.

Boney bone bones boner boney bone. A fractal made of bones. The closer you look, the more bones you see. Bones.

bones

Hold on I gotta check your Bone BIN (Bone Identification Number)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

orphean posted:

Cows are cool.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Geisladisk posted:

bones

The perfect opponents for my Slaughterbound Bloodreavers.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Thanqol posted:

The perfect opponents for my Slaughterbound Bloodreavers.

Not Bloodbound Bloodreavers? (With Bloodblades?)

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I managed to order the dice :smug:

Also, cursory glance tells that the lumineth could be pretty strong I think. They got some really cool rules at least. Fight twice etc.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Not Bloodbound Bloodreavers? (With Bloodblades?)

Next we need some skin guys and we'll be well on our way to a functioning human being!

(Epidermistress Skinbarons)

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Thanqol posted:

Next we need some skin guys and we'll be well on our way to a functioning human being!

(Epidermistress Skinbarons)

"Dear, I knitted this lovely elfskin cape for you, it'll keep you warm in the battle."

"KHORNE CARES NOT FOR CAPES it's lovely thank you."

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

MonsterEnvy posted:

Cows are cool.

They are, but also cows are only one section of the army. In theory there should be other troop choices with different elements and non-bovine associations...someday, I guess? Someone mentioned a swordmaster model in one of the new Warcry releases but I haven't found any info about it yet.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Not Warcry, Underworlds. Lumineth are the Order half of the new seasons start box https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/08/22/warhammer-preview-online-shadow-iron-broken-realms/

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Has there been any indication of when we’ll get a look at the other new Underworlds stuff? I’d love to see the rest of the new Seraphon war and.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Next preview maybe? Hard to say really.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/09/13/sunday-preview-an-arena-of-death-and-an-epic-quest/
The arena expansion for Underworld goes up for preorder next weekend though.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

orphean posted:

Every model in the army would look better if you swapped the head with an old High Elf helmet

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Silhouette posted:

Every model in the army would look better if you swapped the head with an old High Elf helmet

I wanna argue, but....uhh...yeah, they would.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Silhouette posted:

Yeah; I feel kind of tempted to buy one to see if I can use one of my spare HE heads instead; maybe someone else has already done it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Posted this in the wrong thread originally, but I really like the Heldenhammer paint scheme. I've heard they're a pretty viable faction/subfaction to play assuming you bring along a lot of shooters. Anyone have opinions on the ranking of Stormhosts?

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
Heldenhammer is a good pick because of the extra activations, generally used with a hard-hitting shooting unit. Not picking a named host and going with the 'Staunch Defender' general trait to stack saves is an older trick. The other hosts were all very similar with the exception of Hammers of Sigmar having a lot of named characters (all of which you would take more for flavour than tabletop power). Bear in mind that Stormcast is an old, old book now and, in general, newer armies get a lot more unique tricks/traits out of their sub-faction pick.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Good info, thanks. I just got the three pack of Stormcast to play around with paints, I haven't settled on a faction. Someone suggested Beastclaw Raiders because of the low unit count, but I've also heard good things about Seraphon and Maggotkin. Argh, all the AoS factions are so good stylistically though!

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
My wife and I are thinking about taking up painting Ham Mans for a winter hobby. I've got a lot of random unpainted stuff lying around, but I like the idea of having a pair of armies that we could throw against each other while waiting out the plague. After looking around at the various armies in both GW games, we figured that Gloomspite Gitz and Bonereapers aesthetically appeal to us the most. Is there any advice on buying kits that are relatively matched and don't require a multi-hundred dollar upfront investment?

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 22, 2020

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Personally, I wouldn't sweat the specific kits and just make sure that the combined points values of the units you each get are the same. Hypothetically that should balance things for you. You can use Warscroll Builder to help you work out small lists and help plan your purchases. Generally, Gloomspite are a kind of horde army so you have lots of cheap lovely guys, though you can play them with more big things like Arachnarok spiders, Trolls and Mangler Squigs, etc. The Bonereapers are at the other end of the spectrum, being elite skeleton constructs which cost a lot of points resulting in smaller lists.

Start Collecting box sets are a relatively cheap ($95 USD) to get a small starting force for most armies, but I don't think the Bonereapers have one yet being a really new army.

If you were thinking making small armies is beyond the scope of what you want to do, and just get one box of troops each, a better idea might be to check out Warcry. Its the skirmish scale battle game for Age of Sigmar, and there are rules for the Gloomspite and Bonereapers.

A box of the regular Mortek Guard, and a box of Boingrot Bounders should make playable warbands, and if you can track down the rule book and the respective faction cards that's a fun game that plays real quick.

Lasting Damage fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 22, 2020

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Personally, I enjoy Warcry a lot more than AoS. It’s one of my favorite games now.

EDIT: get this box if you want to do gobbos: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warcry-Gloomspite-Gitz-2020

It’s $50 and contains the entire $50 squig hopper kit, plus $20 worth of Sneaky Snufflers and all of the gobbo cards. It’s direct-only now but a ton of stores still have it on the shelves.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 26, 2020

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Any ideas on what old school/ current school GW models would work for a Elven Cleric DnD character?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Professor Shark posted:

Any ideas on what old school/ current school GW models would work for a Elven Cleric DnD character?

For currently in stock stuff: One of the new alarith stoneguard if you can replace the head or clip off the bull head topper. Dark eldar llhamaean with some kitbashing.

Older stuff: Alarielle on foot though she's more of a mage. Caradryan's armor looks right but he's holding a halberd and a giant helmet.

Here's a site I found with some older model pictures. A lot of the characters, like Teclis, could be good with some weapons changeups.

There are a ton of non-GW elven cleric models out there but hopefully this gives you a start and somebody has better ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

bagrada posted:

For currently in stock stuff: One of the new alarith stoneguard if you can replace the head or clip off the bull head topper. Dark eldar llhamaean with some kitbashing.

Older stuff: Alarielle on foot though she's more of a mage. Caradryan's armor looks right but he's holding a halberd and a giant helmet.

Here's a site I found with some older model pictures. A lot of the characters, like Teclis, could be good with some weapons changeups.

There are a ton of non-GW elven cleric models out there but hopefully this gives you a start and somebody has better ideas.

Awesome, thanks for this!