Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Sex Skeleton posted:

Everyone's a bloodbag until the real bloodbag shows up.

:lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm roughly 10000 posts behind on the thread (stuck in march); how much will I enjoy browsing this?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

priznat posted:

I’ve heard armadillos can be a real threat to cars and drivers too, when startled they reflex jump to about windshield height and are pretty solid so can just cannonball right through when the car is going at speed.

In theory. In my experience they startle when the car gets directly over them. WHAM, right into the bottom of the vehicle. Fun fact: armadillos explode like blood-filled watermelons when that happens.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

madeintaipei posted:

In theory. In my experience they startle when the car gets directly over them. WHAM, right into the bottom of the vehicle. Fun fact: armadillos explode like blood-filled watermelons when that happens.

Yeah, seemed unlikely but there is that million to one shot.. They’d have to get spooked well enough in advance.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Grouchio posted:

I'm roughly 10000 posts behind on the thread (stuck in march); how much will I enjoy browsing this?

Having been there it's pretty good but the best stuff is always the new stuff with the live discussion.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

haveblue posted:

It's a kangaroo guard, they can weight 100-200 pounds. And you really, really don't want your truck to break down in the middle of the outback when you could be hundreds of miles from civilization.

Living somewhere besides australia, I don't think of them as real animals until I check out the 24 hours of Bathurst and there's a roo strike on the long straight coming down the mountain.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

priznat posted:

Yeah, seemed unlikely but there is that million to one shot.. They’d have to get spooked well enough in advance.

I can see it being more of a problem in Texas, with long roads through open country. We have the same kind of animal in Florida. I've hit two of them, both at night on roads with heavy vegetation to either side.

They can't see very well. A few have bumbled into me leaving for work early in the morning. *Rustle, rustle, rustle*, *bump*, *boing*, "HOLY poo poo!" I don't know that they have much to be afraid of here. Gators and maybe coyotes? IME, dogs give them a wide berth.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

madeintaipei posted:

In theory. In my experience they startle when the car gets directly over them. WHAM, right into the bottom of the vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAGbrM-MMRk

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Living somewhere besides australia, I don't think of them as real animals until I check out the 24 hours of Bathurst and there's a roo strike on the long straight coming down the mountain.

living in Denmark I'm occasionally reminded of them because they pop up in the wild here once in a while since there's apparently tons of small zoos and private owners that keep them but they're poo poo at building proper fencing.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

nature is so beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBpsZYwjsk8

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qggow9YadL1r0uzl6.mp4

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Like a glove

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Al Jazeera - One man’s journey to heal the scars of Beirut’s blast
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=318181782768639

Short video following the recovery of one of the people who filmed the Beirut explosion from his flat, and who a lot of us wondered about if they survived or not.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

PhotoKirk posted:

Armadillos are pretty cool. I've only seen a couple live ones in the last 40+ years in here Texas. We had one in our parking garage one day, I shared some apples with him.

One of the coolest sights I remember seeing was an armadillo rooting around in my parent's backyard. Neighbor's cat walked up to sniff it, bat at it a few times before the 'Dillo just gave it a look and went back to searching for food while the cat walked away visibly upset that it couldn't play with or eat the strange creature.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Grouchio posted:

Just go through the whole thing, there's plenty that deserves a look and it doesn't get reposted.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Alkydere posted:

One of the coolest sights I remember seeing was an armadillo rooting around in my parent's backyard.

My dogs chase them and headbutt them like a soccer ball. I have a big one with no tail that lives under a dead tree by my creek. He comes up and roots around under my fig tree at night.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Grouchio posted:

I have bad news about the how following months will pan out. Stock up on toilet paper and buy shares of Zoom.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I have bad news about the how following months will pan out. Stock up on toilet paper and buy shares of Zoom.

Also stay well away from Beruit.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Close but no conflagration. This is from my town, Talent which is adjacent to Phoenix. The flaming forklift is right in front of one of the two dispensaries that burned down. Winds were crazy, embers raining down a mile from the fire. A lot of people saved their houses and god knows how many other people's by stomping little fires and dousing with stored water. Phoenix got hit hard too but I assure you this video is from Talent.

Come visit! It's lovely!!!

I'm hole up in a cabin in the mountains, no AC, the smoke just got here. My apartment complex was spared but the cops told me I have to leave. No power no water no sewer. Police won't let you in but they'll let you out so if you sneak through the backroads you can check on your property and then just scoot past the cops and back onto the freeway. Gonna try that tomorrow before going to work. I left my sleep apnea machine behind...

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

BBQ Dave posted:

Close but no conflagration. This is from my town, Talent which is adjacent to Phoenix. The flaming forklift is right in front of one of the two dispensaries that burned down. Winds were crazy, embers raining down a mile from the fire. A lot of people saved their houses and god knows how many other people's by stomping little fires and dousing with stored water. Phoenix got hit hard too but I assure you this video is from Talent.

I'm hole up in a cabin in the mountains, no AC, the smoke just got here. My apartment complex was spared but the cops told me I have to leave. No power no water no sewer. Police won't let you in but they'll let you out so if you sneak through the backroads you can check on your property and then just scoot past the cops and back onto the freeway. Gonna try that tomorrow before going to work. I left my sleep apnea machine behind...

Best of luck. The orange sky here in the bay area was pretty cool but having it feel like night time all day yesterday was unsettling.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

BBQ Dave posted:

Bet you weren't thinking of this scenario when you chose your username.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

They're just refueling/rearming is all

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ewiley posted:

Thought I was going to watch a live-streamed OSHA death this morning. The Portland Head Light in Maine has a live webcam and had some missing shingles.

https://youtu.be/yzeyaL-pC18

Fixing them in 32F weather with no harness seems like a bad idea?

What, just cuttin’ shingles while up on the ladder, nbd

Update: he survived!

For reference i think the cam is pointed at one of the sheds, so not very high off the ground

I remember taking rock pics there for a college report 3 years ago, god drat

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

AFewBricksShy posted:

At the University of Pittsburgh there's a sculpture called Skyscape hanging from the ceiling of Posvar Hall (they may have renamed it in the 20 years since I've been there). I never liked walking under it, it was right around the time that the Final Destination movies were becoming popular.

We used to refer to it as the mobile of death.
Reminds me of the chair art piece at University Southern Maine.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

CommieGIR posted:

"Rollback plan? We don't have no god damned rollback plan"

There's redundancy in place. They don't have to work that fast, they're just showing off. Even then, there's like a hundred of them. For at least the last twenty five years it's taken three guys to do a cut, probably longer considering how often att upgrades their cos (which is next to never since they fired all their IBEW techs and use contractors)

All the guys in that video were union electricians. Now there's only one IBEW guy in the building, and if the union rep comes in all the contractors scatter because they're moonlighting since the hall doesn't have tech work for them. It's a fuckin sad mess

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/xa0uc1s.gifv

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 14 hours!)

Winklebottom posted:

living in Denmark I'm occasionally reminded of them because they pop up in the wild here once in a while since there's apparently tons of small zoos and private owners that keep them but they're poo poo at building proper fencing.

Forhelvede hvor

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

Forhelvede hvor

Fyn and Jylland mostly

Latest sighting was two weeks ago

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Taste test video in case you have a bunch of cesium chloride laying around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJh9yTIBY48

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Taste test video in case you have a bunch of cesium chloride laying around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJh9yTIBY48

This is great

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Don't watch this video before going to bed, or if you have a fear of small spaces

People going through small passages in caves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdwOsSPvq9g

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Whooping Crabs posted:

Don't watch this video before going to bed, or if you have a fear of small spaces

People going through small passages in caves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdwOsSPvq9g

I won't be watching it ever. Not before bed, not after waking up, never. I get anxious just reading a story about people going through tight cave passages.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Everyone thinks they're a sign makler until the real forklift operator pencils in the back half of the vehicle. And a hat.

_____! fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 12, 2020

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

https://i.imgur.com/8smFyYy.mp4

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Batterypowered7 posted:

I won't be watching it ever. Not before bed, not after waking up, never. I get anxious just reading a story about people going through tight cave passages.

I can't even do Augustus Gloop in that chocolate pipe. The og Willy Wonka could be cut to make an OSHA training video pretty easily.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Having lived next to a stud farm, I'm getting very unsettling flashbacks from this.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

what exactly are we looking at here?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/cXa9rtk.mp4

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Ok but like what IS this, i've seen it pop up in a few threads and I have no earthly idea what it could be other than a muppet getting a boner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Memento posted:

what exactly are we looking at here?

I think it's an inflatable liner to repair cracked pipes without having to dig them up.