Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I definitely have but it’s usually not the huge money they probably put into this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Mandrel posted:

that sequence was so loving weird. I couldn’t tell what the hell the controls were or what it wanted me to do, and the input lag and feedback is so poor it was nearly impossible to tell if what I was doing was actually affecting anything or if it was the wrong input. also I don’t know if there was supposed to be like, a backdrop but it was basically just a black screen with vague clouds flying by until the space station shows up. and yeah the sound mixing was so bad you could barely hear the music

it’s really fascinating what a state most of the game is in including some of what should be it’s big set pieces. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it in a released game. and I own Enter the Matrix.

Hey now, Enter the Matrix wasn't that bad. For its day.

:smith:

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Mandrel posted:

that sequence was so loving weird. I couldn’t tell what the hell the controls were or what it wanted me to do, and the input lag and feedback is so poor it was nearly impossible to tell if what I was doing was actually affecting anything or if it was the wrong input. also I don’t know if there was supposed to be like, a backdrop but it was basically just a black screen with vague clouds flying by until the space station shows up. and yeah the sound mixing was so bad you could barely hear the music

it’s really fascinating what a state most of the game is in including some of what should be it’s big set pieces. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it in a released game. and I own Enter the Matrix.

My game crashed like halfway through that mission and I was dreading having to do the start over again, but for some reason the game took pity on me and when I relaunched the game it just went immediately into the Tony rescuing Steve cutscene even though when it crashed I wasn't near the cutscene trigger.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Finally picked this up after being gone a week on duty, and I’m enjoying it more than the beta. Sure, it’s janky as all hell, and the art style is abysmal, but it does scratch that itch. I’ve only unlocked about half the cast, so I’ll wait to give my impressions of their controls, but right now I’d say Iron Man is my least favorite to control, even tho I love his rockets. They should’ve just gotten the Anthem flight team to handle him.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Mandrel posted:

I would bet that whole sequence was originally intended to be much more involved, but got cut back to what we got as they either couldn't get it to work or ran out of time/budget. But they had to leave something in there as it is such an important transition to the story.
I spent 90% of the sequence with it yelling at me I was going the wrong way, but there was never really any threat or implication that I was about to fail.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I finished the campaign, and I did love it, but the game certainly has it's flaws. For me, the biggest is still the damaged power fantasy. Being the Avengers in this often feels sorta helpless. Like, when I finally got to start kicking rear end with Cap, that should have been a really AWESOME moment, where I sprung into action and started dropping fools like it ain't no thang. Only, what actually happened was, it wasn't entirely clear that a cutscene had ended for like a quarter of a second which was PLENTY of time for me to get stunlocked with missiles / bombs and go really low on health, and nervously perform shameless hit and run tactics on a group of mooks.

Like, I don't want the game to be 'easier', but it's a bit... odd... when as THE INCREDIBLE HULK!™ you get one shot by some random robot "not especially lifting up" a spiky frost hammer. That specific example is kind of on me because I hadn't upgraded my equipment at that point, but, then again, I never had the ... nanites? Whatever the resource is, to do it much, until that point VERY late in the game, and previously whenever I'd spent it to upgrade something I would immediately find a new bit of kit that rendered the upgrade useless so....? It just feels very uneven, and when it's punishing it's BRUTALLY so in a way that makes you feel incredibly puny. A lot of the rest of the time it's glorious though.

Related: As Nat in her training, the very last thing I had to beat was a random mook with a shield. Since the 'run at them and press O' move doesn't EVER work, what are you meant to do? Does she even have that move? Or was I meant to be doing something else? I feel like once all these sorts of 'how was I meant to not die there?' questions are answered, this game would be amazing.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think it would be pretty impossible to have a game with all six characters playable that makes them all feel roughly similar in game power level while still making them all feel like indestructible superheroes.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm pretty sure the jump over shield guy is hold O, not press O. But as Widow, just bait them into a yellow move and counter them with a throw or shoot them with heavy pistol instead. gently caress the shield dodge.

fadam posted:

I think it would be pretty impossible to have a game with all six characters playable that makes them all feel roughly similar in game power level while still making them all feel like indestructible superheroes.

I think his point is basically that none of them feel particularly heroic because the combat is focused on being absurdly lethal at random.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

!Klams posted:

Related: As Nat in her training, the very last thing I had to beat was a random mook with a shield. Since the 'run at them and press O' move doesn't EVER work, what are you meant to do? Does she even have that move? Or was I meant to be doing something else? I feel like once all these sorts of 'how was I meant to not die there?' questions are answered, this game would be amazing.

She has the shield vault. That only works on guys with riot shields though. The big robots with energy riot shields, you need to parry or hit them from behind (which you can't do solo since they'll always look at you.)

Orv
May 4, 2011

fadam posted:

Zaodai posted:

I think his point is basically that none of them feel particularly heroic because the combat is focused on being absurdly lethal at random.

I mean I get why people are disappointed by the feel of the characters not just mowing down everything in their path but it wouldn't be much of a game at that point. Even the Prototype games, which are probably the best follow-ups to Hulk: Ultimate Destruction had enemies that you couldn't just mow through in a split second.

The lethality is pretty rough though, yeah. I've gotten 100-0'd a few times just by getting caught in the wrong place by two Elite Synthoids doing their underarm laser thing and instantly deleting me. It's not a great feeling.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
You can hold triangle with any character to do a charged up attack that breaks shields as well, bit slow so liable to get interrupted by some shithead shooting you but it's an option sometimes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

For Hulk at least Rage will make him shrug off non-yellow or red attacks while charging his up I think? Kamala's dodge should too but I'm not sure if her dodging interrupts her charge-up.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Random gripe: the item rarity system is trash. In what world is a costume that literally everyone that plays the game gets “rare”?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I've been playing this game for a little while now and I love it. It just might be the game that finally gets me to stop playing Anthem so much

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

I've been playing this game for a little while now and I love it. It just might be the game that finally gets me to stop playing Anthem so much

Ah, a true ICR game connoisseur

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Orv posted:

I mean I get why people are disappointed by the feel of the characters not just mowing down everything in their path but it wouldn't be much of a game at that point. Even the Prototype games, which are probably the best follow-ups to Hulk: Ultimate Destruction had enemies that you couldn't just mow through in a split second.

The lethality is pretty rough though, yeah. I've gotten 100-0'd a few times just by getting caught in the wrong place by two Elite Synthoids doing their underarm laser thing and instantly deleting me. It's not a great feeling.

Yeah, it's basically what everyone's said, it's not that I wanna be able to just mow everything down, and really I think my comment on the hulk death was probably a separate point that muddied the waters.

What I mean is: There needs to be orchestrated points in the game (and, there ARE, just, more? More obvious ones? I dunno) where it introduces a concept and it introduces it as loving BADASS instead of 'have a go working out what this does while you get sniped with 3 lasers'. It basically explains everything in the game after you've had to do it / use it for the second or third time, at which point it's sort of annoying. So like, I think they get the bifrost introduction right, the first time you ever get to do it, it's to do something awesome. Likewise playing as Hulk for the first time, the nature of the fight means you just smash the crap out of everything and everyone and it looks and feels amazing. It's quite soon that you're playing as him in an enclosed space where basically everything explodes in a shower of sparks when you touch it, and it just FEELS like you are the Hulk. It's not the game being 'easy' as much as it is having set sequences that aren't really meant to serve as a challenge, but are to illustrate just how powerful you can be in this world. The mission with Tony shooting up all the stuff outside your house with Banner and Kemala running amok beneath you FEELS great, it's hectic and actually kinda difficult, but you can FLY and you've got an Iron Man suit to take them out with! You FEEL powerful, even if you're losing the fight. Even with Nat Sneaking into AIM HQ, going invisible to take out a solitary guard, like that would never be difficult without going invis, but you FEEL like a super spy at that point, it's great! I don't feel like Cap ever gets anything like that. He even gets a few of the opposite, where you fight that airborne tank thing, that you have to use jump pads to get on top of, and you just WISH you could play as Iron man cos it would all be over in seconds instead. Later, you spend a while running, jumping, working you way through the AIM base at the end to get up onto the transmitter, and you have to fight your way through and solve a puzzle to get stuff in place to form a ramp so you can run up to it, and you make your massive jump! And.... there's Iron man and Thor just flying by... . I never WANTED to be Steve Rogers for any reason, and I feel like that's a mistake. The others didn't suffer it so completely, but in places they did, and I just think that's the biggest shame of it being pushed. I reckon Arkham Batman would beat them all in a fight, and Kratos wouldn't even break a sweat making GBS threads on these guys. I know that isn't really fair and is a stupid 'my dads bigger than your dad' thing to say, I only mean it to highlight that I think there's an element to this that's not just 'bad guys falling through the floor' that needs patching, but I DO genuinely think it's not far off and if they do keep at it with updates it has just the BEST potential! Like, if they ever make a sequel I think it might be my favourite game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The first Cap mission you're talking about actually lets you play as anyone.

Subpar Superhero
Nov 27, 2013

the hunger games
I get what people are saying about difficulty. It’s one of the game’s many many problems. It isn’t even about difficulty so much as the game having really annoying combat encounters/enemy design.

There are ways to cheese this, especially at higher levels. Think another poster said it’s all about building up stun for takedowns and that’s basically it. I mean it’s cool that you can avoid a ton of damage doing this, keeping your ult up indefinitely, but it turns a lot of combat into a quicktime event.

Unfortunately you end up having to do this because the game is full of so much bullshit. The moments where you can actually get into the scrum, do combos and perfect dodges, etc are so rare because the game throws a bunch of garbage at you.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

How do you build up stun I guess I don’t understand how that mechanic works.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Invalid Validation posted:

It's the meter below enemy's health bars. Damage increases it, and some abilities (Ironman's lasers and ScarJo's machine guns) build it faster than they do damage.

Subpar Superhero
Nov 27, 2013

the hunger games

each enemy has a little white meter under their health bar that fils up as you hit them. when it fills up it then starts to degrade, and it’s during this period of time that you can perform a takedown. some gear has stun damage on it. one of the stats helps to build up stun too (intensity?), but you can get a good amount from the specializations. just look for the stuff that says +stun damage and start using those powers/moves a lot. you’ll see a big difference.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!

RatHat posted:

Yes you’ll have enough points to max everything. Well, you SHOULD, but there’s a missing skill point bug going around right now...

The bug is I believe is caused by putting a point into your ultimate abilities before the game just gives it to you for free during the campaign.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Other people have mentioned it, but the big thing about this is that most characters have a Takedown spec that makes enemies drop Heroic Orbs when hit with a Takedown. So the meta is build stun, do takedown, get orb, repeat, as you use and regain Heroics. Also Takedowns restore HP so you're keeping yourself alive at the same time.

Captain America also has a skill where instead of needing to Stun for Takedowns, as long as he's got his Ult active he can Takedown an enemy that is below 40% health, and you can spam it and keep his Ult going forever with some other skills set.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Interesting, I’m just right after the campaign. How hard is it to solo higher levels cause the matchmaking seems bad?

Subpar Superhero
Nov 27, 2013

the hunger games

Interesting, I’m just right after the campaign. How hard is it to solo higher levels cause the matchmaking seems bad?

not hard at all. there are some frustrating parts, like elite villain sectors can be very annoying, but it’s all doable solo.

edit: the final, final mission actually has to be done solo. which is bizarre. but here we are.

Subpar Superhero fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 11, 2020

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You can actually get an AI teammate taken out for good in the villain sectors if they get hit with a heavy area attack when downed, I didn't expect that

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.
So I swear I saw somewhere that red attacks could just not be blocked or parried, but now doing the Cap HARM room, it seems possible you just have to get a perfectly timed one? Does that go for like AOE attacks, and for other characters dodge/parries? Sometimes it feels pretty impossible to get out of an AOE in time, some of the attacks come out real fast, so if you can block them reliably that should help me survive a lot more, sometimes it feels like the AI does a bunch of them all together and I die real fast.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
God the Torpedo modifier (projectile damage greatly increased) is a game over as Hulk when basically every baddie on the map is either a drone, turret or jetpack guy.

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

The doctor said I was too muscular to be aborted

Campbell posted:

God the Torpedo modifier (projectile damage greatly increased) is a game over as Hulk when basically every baddie on the map is either a drone, turret or jetpack guy.

nah dog just throw a supercharged rock at em

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

It is kinda bizarre, but your AI teammates sync to your Power, but their levels and skills are set to whatever they are when you're playing as them.

So if your Hulk is level 10 and has a few skills here and there, if you play another character and have Hulk with you, he's level 10 and has those skills.

The AI isn't good but they are much more effective when they're level 50. I'm trying to get every character to 50, and I bring the ones who already are, and they're actually not as bad as they used to be.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also their orb spawning stuff works as AI, so while it's probabaly annoying to do every time if you want to tackle something hard, swap their specialties if you have them so they spawn orbs for you.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I totally agree with all the comments about annoying combat design. They really needed more fodder and fewer snipers, it doesn't much sell the superhero fantasy when the Incredible Hulk gets taken out by Generic Drone #11379.

!Klams posted:

Widow starts with a frag grenade move that breaks shields- hold down the power attack button and she'll throw a grenade out. It has a really tiny AoE though.

Turra posted:

So I swear I saw somewhere that red attacks could just not be blocked or parried, but now doing the Cap HARM room, it seems possible you just have to get a perfectly timed one? Does that go for like AOE attacks, and for other characters dodge/parries?
Yes, but with some characters (Kamala and Widow I think?) you have to spend a skill point to unlock their "perfect parry" counter. Those work on every attack with an indicator, but you'll eat poo poo if you mistime on a red attack.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
gameplay would be improved 100% if enemies were unable to stun the player at all. have the damage register or whatever, but getting chain stunned or stunned right when you're about to finish a combo is dumb and makes the game feel like poo poo

you basically either go for a full ranged/heroic orb build to avoid that or a full takedown/heroic orb build

at the endgame its really the only two options

also if you crash you can't reconnect to your friends game, so have fun doing the whole mission or having him quit out to restart with you. no mid-mission join in/drop out is extremely frustrating. wouldn't be so bad if the game didn't crash constantly I guess

also, maybe don't fracture your multiplayer playerbase through different missions - just have DO HIVE MISSION or DO VAULT MISSION buttons for fucks sake so it matchmakes a lot easier

probably the worst implementation of multiplayer I've seen for a game like this

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 11, 2020

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

Dr. Bonertron posted:

nah dog just throw a supercharged rock at em

Attempts to lift giant rock - is interrupted to death. Manages to lift rock - is shot out of my hand.

Worth noting I was trying a +7 elite vault so yea that prolly helped.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
gently caress my poor impulse control, dropped 20 bucks to get widow two costumes. Got her gear level at 117 currently!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
normally I'm a sucker for good costumes (please don't look at my fuckin warframe account) but I don't think I've seen a single costume in this game I'd spend a buck on

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I'm spending my ingame earnings on takedowns, myself. Can only wear one costume at a time but will definitely see a lot of the takedowns!

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I think they really need to reduce enemy ranged-attack accuracy massively, dudes sniping you out of mid-air feels like bullshit when you're flying around at speed. On that note they should probably just remove normal enemies being able to shoot you out of the sky at all. I really hope they address some of this stuff but lol. I won't get my hopes up.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 11, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Seedge posted:

I'm spending my ingame earnings on takedowns, myself. Can only wear one costume at a time but will definitely see a lot of the takedowns!

I wish you could turn some off. I want to only use the Widow pushover one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

I wish you could turn some off. I want to only use the Widow pushover one.
having different takedowns take different amounts of time was certainly a decision