Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

fknlo posted:

I think it will be looked upon more fondly as time goes by just like every single other M car.

I've soured on the E9x M3. That era of 3 series just looks ugly to me now. It hasn't aged gracefully like the E46 did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cojawfee posted:

I've soured on the E9x M3. That era of 3 series just looks ugly to me now. It hasn't aged gracefully like the E46 did.

they don't look great to me but S65 is rad

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

they don't look great to me but S65 is rad

Which is why I want to cram one into a 1er.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that guy is lying to you fyi

Wow, so skeptical! Sounds like a thorough inspection will be called for regardless.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

willroc7 posted:

Wow, so skeptical! Sounds like a thorough inspection will be called for regardless.

If someone ever says "it's really simple to fix, just needs to be reset/a 50 dollar part" and they haven't done it yet, why do you think that is?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I owned one. You can check my post history in this thread for my experience with it. I really liked it. It turned me fully on to the brand. Something always breaking but it also taught me a lot of how to wrench. Cooling system stuff as mentioned. Literally every suspension bushing. The big thing to look out for with this will be the upper rear shock mounts. The 98 should have the little plates that are reinforced but if someone is really caning the thing they will punch through the sheet metal. It is a nasty failure and a horrific repair that is beyond the abilities of most capable wrenches. You will always be working on something with it. It will always need attention.

Buy it. Everyone should buy M3's. All M3's are good and cool and you should rehome an M3 today!

Thanks there is a lot of good information in your post history, such as the rear strut tower stuff. How much did you buy yours for and ballpark how much did you spend on maintenance? How long did you own it? Would you recommend saving up and going straight to a V8 M3?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The E36 is great, the poo poo interior was mostly on early E36 cars and none of those are M3s. Get one.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
me, someone who didn't want to buy an airbag reset tool just to sell a car

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BraveUlysses posted:

me, someone who didn't want to buy an airbag reset tool just to sell a car
Yeah, I'd always be wary of someone selling a car saying it "just needs X" when X would be easy to fix and costs nearly nothing.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Big Taint posted:

The E36 is great, the poo poo interior was mostly on early E36 cars and none of those are M3s. Get one.

Eh, my '97 has a pretty dogshit interior. Mechanically it's been great other than the GDCS. A lot of them have issues with the VANOS variable valve timing but I guess I've been lucky. Still sees occasional track days with 190k miles.

Buy one, upgrade the radiator, install poly bushings and good brake pads, and go chase down Porsches on the track.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

wolrah posted:

Yeah, I'd always be wary of someone selling a car saying it "just needs X" when X would be easy to fix and costs nearly nothing.

i wasnt being ironic, i did do this very thing in 2007 because i didnt want to buy a peake tool that cost over 100 bucks just to sell a 328i. guess what, i sold it without incident!

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

WOAH.

Wera torque wrench?!

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Big Taint posted:

The E36 is great.

My E36 has 288k miles and it routinely sees the redline whenever it is driven. I wouldn’t describe as great but it has certainly proven
to be robust.

It will see its first autocross next month.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Crunchy Black posted:

WOAH.

Wera torque wrench?!

I went shopping at KC Tools and got some superior German wrenchery

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

willroc7 posted:

Thanks there is a lot of good information in your post history, such as the rear strut tower stuff. How much did you buy yours for and ballpark how much did you spend on maintenance? How long did you own it? Would you recommend saving up and going straight to a V8 M3?

The last part: Yes.

They're probably about the most amazing value of dollar-to-performance car you can buy right now, and they sound and drive like a baby supercar. Somewhat Heroic will probably back me up on this. Clunky dump truck startup, race-car gronking diff if you turn while cold, the whole bit, and then when they've gone 8 miles to get fully warm, you hit the "M" button on the steering wheel and throw it to 8300rpm through the first 3 gears every chance you can.

https://clyp.it/x0oxyt1b

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

jink posted:

I went shopping at KC Tools and got some superior German wrenchery

Nice man the price isn’t as crazy as I assumed it would be either.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Big Taint posted:

ooh, how do you like the Knipex wrench pliers?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Big Taint posted:

Dad's 1998 E36 M3 has a bit under 100k miles, it was his daily driver for a few years now it is just for fun drives and track days. He's put on just over 10k track miles and has had no issues. I still think they're good looking cars and keep my eye out for a clean one.

Big Taint posted:

Tip for great WERA tools is buy them from Germany. If you have Amazon prime shipping is free, might be free without I'm not sure. Probably not worth it for the little stuff but if you're buying multiple or the bigger expensive stuff it can be.
Amazon US $175.83 - https://www.amazon.com/Wera-075604-...99822522&sr=8-1
Amazon DE €103.12 or $122.31 - https://www.amazon.de/-/en/05075604...ps%2C269&sr=8-3

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I really like the design language of Wera, but I really need to get my hands on the screw drivers before ordering a ton as I see people complaining about the grip. If I like it though.... god help my wallet. Wiha is supposed to be good, but I don't really like the look of the screw drivers (lame reason I know). Then there are all the Gedore, Hazet etc that are great. At least it's easy to get quality tools here in Europe.
Gotta get me some Knipex stuff as well. Going to either go vintage or new quality in the future. No more cheap Walmart-esque chinesium stuff.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

User Error posted:

ooh, how do you like the Knipex wrench pliers?

they are amazing

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

willroc7 posted:

How reliable are e34 m3’s? I understand their sort of the bastards child of the m3 lineup, is that correct?

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/d/elyria-bmw-m-sedan-e36/7183306675.html

late to the party on this one, but that is a pretty good deal, even for that mileage and “lux” package interior… the airbag light is likely from what BraveUlysses mentioned; even unplugging a seat sensor while the car has 12v will trip it. You can reset it either with the Peake tool, or with a BMW GT1, which is basically a shop laptop… Make friends with a tech at a dealership and it shouldn’t take more than five minutes. Very robust engine, mine has 198K on it and all I’ve done is regular maintenance, bulletproof the cooling system and replace the Vanos (and little stuff like an alternator)

whaddya think a reasonable offer on this would be? I’m pretty tempted but $13+k seems pretty high for a non-runner

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
12k seems good imo, find a motor for 5k and do the bearings, clutch and motor mounts

really hated that I'm unemployed...I have the free time to do three work but it would be irresponsible to spend my money on it

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

is there anywhere to get classic BMW posters?

I would love to find this one for example

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 15, 2020

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I got this one on Ebay a few years ago and had it framed. There are tons of poster sellers there.

that was easy

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bmw-2-Ltr-...6cAAOSwjR5aw4Zi

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 15, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

on the other hand, perhaps a nazi-era BMW poster is in poor taste.

this one is really cool unfortunately

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 15, 2020

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Well I found one with a V8 in it, but it's not an M3...
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/bridgeport-2001-bmw-6-5-series-wagon-ls/7196272728.html

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

That's going to be the most reliable way to get a V8 in a BMW.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
2 pictures of a 21k engine swapped car lmao

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
There are more pics here: https://app.leftbankreps.com/vortec-powered-2001-bmw-525i-sport-wagon-6-speed-bridgeport-57865/unbranded

I always wonder what ECU swaps like this use and if it has a functional OBD2 port so I can get an inspection in my state and drive it on the street. And if the swap and wiring were done in a way that makes it repairable and no more of a basket case to fix than a normal 20 year old V8 BMW, which while fragile and complex, is at least documented.

Super cool car though.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

That’s a good point. I do have emissions odb2 checks where I live so it may be a non-starter. It’s so cool though.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
In my experience an extra $100 or so will help with those pesky emissions problems. YMMV though.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Diametunim posted:

In my experience an extra $100 or so will help with those pesky emissions problems. YMMV though.

Interesting, what state? I live in NH, where the penalty for not Living Free is Death, and even our inspections always have an OBD check. If the emissions readiness checks fail it is impossible for to get a sticker. You can have a car with no cats and a flashed ECU to force the readiness (common with Subarus), and that will pass as long as the inspector doesn’t actually figure out that the cat is not there and fail it. A friend in MA goes through the same ordeal with his supercharged S2000 on an AEM ECU. He actually disconnects the supercharger and runs it on the factory ECU for the inspection...it runs like poo poo but runs long enough to pass.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Some states have loopholes that let you bypass emissions. Collectors insurance is how it is done in Arizona.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Owner states,
"Thanks I beleive it will it has the gm plug for the harness and it also has an emissions sticker on it from pa

The car was built by precision plus auto works in Bensalem, the Ls harness is completely standalone from the bmw the gages work from the gm pins adapting to the the bmw inputs and I'm not quite sure if it went through a tailpipe I think pa is just a visual inspection "

Cats are in place in the exhaust but hollowed out.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Some states have loopholes that let you bypass emissions. Collectors insurance is how it is done in Arizona.

I just discovered that when you buy a used car in Colorado that you have to get emissions done again even if it's current on that. Nice racket.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I haven't had an emissions check in 20 years. :patriot: for IL (outside of Cook County)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Here in Ohio you used to have to take the car in to a state-operated station where it'd get a visual inspection and a gas cap check, then either a sniffer run on rollers for older vehicles or a plug-in check for '96+.

For the last few years as the 25 year exemption got closer and closer to the '96 model year they've been adding plug check stations at local auto service chains as well as self-serve stations, presumably the state-run test centers will close down soon once everything that's required to be tested has the ability to be plugged in.

Of course as you can imagine, a self-serve station lets you get away with anything as long as the ECU is happy about it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fknlo posted:

I just discovered that when you buy a used car in Colorado that you have to get emissions done again even if it's current on that. Nice racket.

It is done that way here in Arizona if you change the city it is registered in :rolleyes:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I love to do my emissions via text message

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Isn't this why people set up LLCs in Montana or South Carolina or wherever states that let you register without inspection at all? Also sales tax too I guess?