Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will LiS2 feature more dead/deabeat parents than LiS1/BTS?
Yes
No
Paul Zuvella, what you are asking it literally not possible.
View Results

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Maybe I will if I have enough time! I'm currently posting instead of doing grantwriting work like I should be doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

exquisite tea posted:

I vote make a new thread called something like "Dear Esther, Tell Me Why Life is Strange in the Woods" and call it the emotional narrative adventure megathread.
Now see if you can squeeze What Remains of Edith Finch in there too.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Wasn't there some other Dontnod game that was announced and supposed to be released before this? Some alan wake wannabe thing?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Wasn't there some other Dontnod game that was announced and supposed to be released before this? Some alan wake wannabe thing?

Twin Mirror? No idea, last I checked the release date just says “2020”.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Twin Mirror is still scheduled for 2020 (but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed back).

The last thing that came out about it that I heard was it was going to be episodic but they decided to rework it so they can release it all at once.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Watching the first bit of Tell me Why, seem's like a slow burn but one thing that is really sticking out is how... bad the voice work is. The dialogue is so stilted and awkward.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Tell Me Why trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sdkupSpo9t0

And a bit of information on Episode 2:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/01/xbox-game-pass-coming-soon-september-2020/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 3, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the second episode is out now

Edit: Neat, the recaps are told in the form of a fairy tale similar to how LiS 2’s were.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 4, 2020

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ep 2 was a bit of a let down after Ep 1. Didn't feel like anyone of the revelations were particularly interesting and nothing much seemed to happen. Also the whole archive search minigame was boring as gently caress.

But sad that nobody else seems to be playing this as it pretty much is Life is Strange 3.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Ep 2 was a bit of a let down after Ep 1. Didn't feel like anyone of the revelations were particularly interesting and nothing much seemed to happen. Also the whole archive search minigame was boring as gently caress.

But sad that nobody else seems to be playing this as it pretty much is Life is Strange 3.

I plan to once I actually get my hands on an Xbox One (my PC can’t run it and I don’t feel like upgrading for the sake of a single game) but for now I’m just watching it via online playthroughs.

This episode did seem to have a little more story bits at least and I am kind of curious how the whole Mad Hunter subplot is going to go (the most recent episode seems to imply he’s the twins’ deadbeat father).

But yeah, it’s kind of a shame this is Microsoft exclusive (and since they published the game its likely gonna stay that way) as this is almost literally a Life is Strange game in all but name (right down to illegally digging through someone’s files in search of information).

I’m hoping the game keeps the multiple ending aspect as well (which I imagine it will considering the times where Alyson and Tyler have conflicting memories about something and you have to choose who you want to believe).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 7, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The final episode of Tell Me Why is out now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So if anyone's played the Tell Me Why finale are there multiple endings like in the LiS series? If so, does it all come down to one big choice at the end or are there other factors that determine what you get?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

So if anyone's played the Tell Me Why finale are there multiple endings like in the LiS series? If so, does it all come down to one big choice at the end or are there other factors that determine what you get?

There's one big choice at the end, then little things in the each ending change depending on some of the smaller decisions you've made along the way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

There's one big choice at the end, then little things in the each ending change depending on some of the smaller decisions you've made along the way.

Yeah, that’s what I gathered (basically it’s kind of like BTS where there’s one main ending but it has little variations here and there depending on your choices).

That said, I have heard there’s another ending if the twins don’t have a good relationship with one another but I haven’t been able to find any footage from that yet.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 10, 2020

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Wrote a review of Tell Me Why: https://pixelhunted.wordpress.com/2020/09/11/tell-me-why-pc-2020/

Thought it was great and basically a must-play if you're a fan of Life is Strange. It's way more limited in scope (and probably budget) than other DontNod games but that works in its favour. I also think it deals with Tyler really well as while his character is informed by being trans he's never defined by it.

I hope we get more three-episode weekly release games from DontNod like this. A huge improvement on LiS2.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Agreed, the characters were decent for the most part and there was an actual sense of mystery that was kind of absent from LiS 2. It was a good way of scratching the Life is Strange itch until if/when another proper game ever comes out.

While it’s not officially connected, it basically hits a lot of the same notes you’d expect from a Life is Strange title and there’s nothing really preventing you from putting it on the series timeline if you really wanted to (taking place two years after the original game).

Regardless of whether LiS proper ever continues beyond the current comic I hope DontNod keeps making more games like this in the future.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 11, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also while I haven’t found any video footage of this yet, according to a user on Reddit there’s another possible ending you can get:

quote:

I finished it late last night but the main points were:

- Aly stays at the house. Dresses like Mary-Ann, which was pretty jarring after her fabulous sweater collection the rest of the game.

-Aly has cleaned up and starting claiming the space as her own.

-You can wander around and look at things, and send pictures to Tyler/Michael, who were living together in Juneau for me. There's a pic of the two of them on the fridge in Xmas outfits and a pic of all three in 2016 New Years glasses, which were cute to find.

-You start by calling Tyler to catch up after the 6 months since the end of the game. Tyler and Michael are happy in Juneau. I can't remember what Tyler is doing but it's a short epilogue for their story.

-The "objective" is to sit at Mary Ann's desk and write the "final chapter" of the Goblins story. Which I found weird, because Aly closed the book and grabbed a new notebook, and started writing about her life as a solitary Goblin in the woods...

Additional notes:

-You can go down to the docks but nothing happened when I did. Leo's grave is grown over. You can sit on a bench near it and have a brief voice convo with Tyler (if you kept the voice active, presumably)

-You can't go into the barn, and there's really not much else to do around the house.

-I guess Aly's panic attacks and visions have stopped, but there was less resolution to that whole story line than I would have liked.

Also, some of the choices that I think influenced it/achievements I got:

-Twins4lyfe

-Did not tell Eddy Aly killed MaryAnn

-Chose Aly's version of the memory (I was really torn on this)

-Kissed Michael as Tyler

-Forgave Tessa

-Didn't confront Sam, just listened

-Opened up to Michael about what was going on, and I thought had made mostly choices supporting Aly moving on from Delos??

-Chose to let the potential buyer see the house

Edit: Found a video: https://youtube.com/watch?v=n6y8cytpgec

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 12, 2020

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

Also while I haven’t found any video footage of this yet, according to a user on Reddit there’s another possible ending you can get:

Edit: Found a video: https://youtube.com/watch?v=n6y8cytpgec

drat, that's a lot of effort put into an ending that most people won't get.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

drat, that's a lot of effort put into an ending that most people won't get.

Yeah, near as I can tell if you play through normally you’re basically guaranteed the Tyler ending while the Alyson ending requires a bit more effort.

The actual final choice in the game is more like the one from BtS where it only changes the first two scenes of the ending. I kind of like the way they did this to be honest, makes it feel like your choices actually matter a bit more.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ugh i missed one collectible thats so annoying bro

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Super No Vacancy posted:

ugh i missed one collectible thats so annoying bro

that is hella annoying.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tell Me Why does have some sort of Collector’s Mode where you can go back to specific parts if you missed something right?

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Soooooo...

I failed to collect all the wooden figurines and thus couldn't solve the puzzle involving them in Episode Three.

Could anyone tell me what the reward is returning them to their rightful place?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eshettar posted:

Soooooo...

I failed to collect all the wooden figurines and thus couldn't solve the puzzle involving them in Episode Three.

Could anyone tell me what the reward is returning them to their rightful place?

As far as I've heard, you get an achievement and nothing more.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

Larryb posted:

As far as I've heard, you get an achievement and nothing more.

So our journey was never about the destination. It was about the fairy-tale themed souvenirs we collected along the way.

Gotcha.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i got a rare cheevo for the ending i got so for me it was about the destination

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I finally got around to playing Life is Strange 2, and it’s extremely bad in my opinion.

I hope the upcoming West Virginia murder mystery game is better, but the whole “mind palace” as game mechanic thing isn’t making me very hopeful.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 15, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

General Dog posted:

I hope the upcoming West Virginia murder mystery game is better, but the whole “mind palace” as game mechanic thing isn’t making me very hopeful.

Wait, what game are you referring to here?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Larryb posted:

Wait, what game are you referring to here?

Twin Mirror, the next Dontnod game? Am I describing it right?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Also I replayed Life is Strange and Before the Storm a few weeks ago (which is what prompted to me finally give LiS2 a try). While I still like parts of Before the Storm, I forgot how much it falls apart in that last episode. I think the soundtrack must be why I remembered it so fondly.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I went in expecting Before the Storm to be pretty bad, but I was pleasantly surprised. There are issues and it's limited by what it could do as a prequel, but I'm more glad it's around than wishing it was never made.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

General Dog posted:

Twin Mirror, the next Dontnod game? Am I describing it right?

Ah right, forgot about that one.

Anyway, it has its problems but I personally enjoyed BtS for what it was. Hell, I honestly wouldn’t mind if Deck Nine took another crack at the franchise one day.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think Chloe was a character worth revisiting, and I think BtS does some good work with her, but Rachel Amber just ends up being a bit of a cipher (in a negative sense), and the last episode feels like it suddenly tries to pack 2-3 episodes worth of content in and ends up totally nonsensical in terms of how the story about Rachel’s family is resolved.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah BTS actually ends in the second episode when Chloe and Rachel decide to run off.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

General Dog posted:

I think Chloe was a character worth revisiting, and I think BtS does some good work with her, but Rachel Amber just ends up being a bit of a cipher (in a negative sense), and the last episode feels like it suddenly tries to pack 2-3 episodes worth of content in and ends up totally nonsensical in terms of how the story about Rachel’s family is resolved.

The resolution of BtS isn't great, though I don't think any of the Life is Strange games really nail the ending. I think Rachel ended up being an amazing character and I loved the chemistry between her and Chloe. I liked them as a pair more than Chloe and Max cause for me Max was just kind... okay. Rachel felt way more of a fully realized character probably since Max was so much of a player stand in. I was fully invested Chloe and Rachel's relationship. One of my top two scenes takes place in BtS when Chloe and Rachel are just talking on the train (the other being the talk between Sean and his mom in LiS2). Also I really liked Rachel's character design, especially with the striking blue feather earring. At the end of the day I enjoyed BtS more even if some of the stuff in the third episode was bad, because Rachel and Chloe's relationship was just so well done. The only thing that could've made it better really is Ashley Burch actually voicing Chloe, it's a shame the strike was happening at the time.

I'm still off the opinion that the after credits stinger was unnecessary and it left a really sour taste in my mouth to end the game on.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah BTS actually ends in the second episode when Chloe and Rachel decide to run off.

Still waiting on the alternate reality sequel where Chloe and Rachel go off to California and the entire three episodes are just living happily ever after, thank you in advance Dontnod or BtS devs

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think that’s the premise for the LiS comics?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think that’s the premise for the LiS comics?

Speaking of which, those recently started back up again now under the new title “Life is Strange: Partners in Time”.

But yeah, the current arc has Max stuck in an alternate reality where she’s living with Chloe and Rachel in California and the events of Season 1 never happened.

People don’t talk about the comic too much here but it’s decent enough in my opinion.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 15, 2020

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I guess one problem I had with Rachel and Chloe's relationship is that Rachel is a pretty chaotic presence in Chloe's life. She walks in, immediately (indirectly) gets her expelled, and sweeps her up in family drama and the local drug trade- friendship with Rachel is costly, and Chloe is someone who already can't afford to give too much more of herself. In a way, it's an interesting role reversal for Chloe from LiS, but it also makes their relationship a bit hard to root for. Rachel Amber is this girl who has everything, is beloved by all, and can be all things to all people, but also (mostly unwittingly) becomes this parasitic influence in the life of Chloe, whose life has already been knocked off its axis. That's not an inherently bad story, but the idea that Rachel is kind of a bad friend for Chloe ultimately goes unexamined.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Full disclosure about Life is Strange 2- I haven't actually finished the last episode yet, but episode 4 (the one where Daniel has to be rescued from a cult) is the absolute nadir of the series thus far. Just abysmal storytelling, no recognizably human behavior from any of the characters across the board; just 90 minutes of Sean, Daniel, and the cult leader in competition for the dumbest person alive. (Some of the stuff with Sean and his mom is okay)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's because with the power of hindsight you can already see the end from the beginning. At the time Rachel entered her life, nobody else gave a poo poo about Chloe. The fact that in three years their relationship would deteriorate doesn't change the significance of Chloe seriously needing someone like Rachel during the events of BTS. It's important to remember that despite their flaws, they're both still kids, and BTS comes down pretty hard on the side of Rachel genuinely caring for Chloe. I find myself feeling the most sympathy for Rachel in LiS because when all is said and done, she's the one who gets murdered, and there's nothing you can do to reverse that.