Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Bigsteve posted:

What actually happens if my PSU isnt enough? Does it just bluescreen? Or does a portal to hell open up in my case?

If it's a quality PSU, a breaker trips in the PSU and your PC shuts off. If it's a no-name 7 year old China special that came with your $50 case?....who knows. lovely PSUs have fried boards before, so that's a possibility, although it's not terribly likely.

For the most part it just turns off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
best case system shuts down before damage
worst case some small explosions and fried components

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
You can definitely get things like blue screen/crashes without full shutdown if things like the voltage sags too much under load. PSU problems can present tons of different ways.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bigsteve posted:

What actually happens if my PSU isnt enough? Does it just bluescreen? Or does a portal to hell open up in my case?

First you'll smell it: It will smell like electric heat, or like burning plastic. It may take several minutes for your nose to pick up these smells. The screen may flicker or display artifacts. Eventually a loud crack will be heard--this is the PSU breaking its watts barrier; if you look in your case at this time, you may notice sparks launching from the PSU. At this point, it is too late. Your best bet is to pull the power cable out of the computer, but the PSU will have enough electricity built up inside that even this may not be a solution; it may continue to spark and smolder. The PSU may vibrate or rattle, even after being disconnected from any power source. Your best bet is to immediately evacuate the room, because I've seen them explode like pipe bombs, throwing hot slag across the room that can burn in excess of 2,200 F. I've seen a PSU literally melt through the floor of a second story room.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Bigsteve posted:

I once had a busted power strip, and my computer would just flip off at load, basically. No damage that I'm aware of. This was with a top-of-the-line Seasonic PSU.

Wasn't easy to troubleshoot because it seemed like any regular shutoff, except it happened over the course of a second.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

First you'll smell it: It will smell like electric heat, or like burning plastic. It may take several minutes for your nose to pick up these smells. The screen may flicker or display artifacts. Eventually a loud crack will be heard--this is the PSU breaking its watts barrier; if you look in your case at this time, you may notice sparks launching from the PSU. At this point, it is too late. Your best bet is to pull the power cable out of the computer, but the PSU will have enough electricity built up inside that even this may not be a solution; it may continue to spark and smolder. The PSU may vibrate or rattle, even after being disconnected from any power source. Your best bet is to immediately evacuate the room, because I've seen them explode like pipe bombs, throwing hot slag across the room that can burn in excess of 2,200 F. I've seen a PSU literally melt through the floor of a second story room.

Jesus christ, what are you doing that you're seeing PSUs turn into literal bombs?

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've seen a PSU literally melt through the floor of a second story room.

correction this is the worst case

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
look, everyone has a fetish okay let the guy write fanfic it doesn't hurt anyone.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Has someone pulled together the most recent leaked numbers and the historical ones and shown how 10x0 through 30x0 compare? Would be nice to have it in one chart.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

axeil posted:

Jesus christ, what are you doing that you're seeing PSUs turn into literal bombs?

I had one do this years ago when I built my 2nd ever computer - had a cheap Enermax case that came with a power supply & it died a few months into use. Powered up, hear a loud crack & saw sparks shoot out the power supply, I unplugged it as fast as humanly possible. Thankfully no chain reaction to other parts but that was the first & last time I ever used a PSU that came bundled with a cheap case...lol

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Bigsteve posted:

Might BSOD or the PSU might just turn off the machine without warning.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Subjunctive posted:

Has someone pulled together the most recent leaked numbers and the historical ones and shown how 10x0 through 30x0 compare? Would be nice to have it in one chart.

Wait til Monday and we’ll be buried in a million charts and comparisons.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Sphyre posted:

slam buy the 3080

The Sphyre Promises are becoming Sphyre Threats.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

i just do a rough 2070S->1080 rule of thumb which should work out for your upgrade as well, see the leaked chinese benchmark for now where they include 2070S comparisons

Angry-Alphs
Feb 24, 2019

Bigsteve posted:

Untill today I ran an Rm550x with a Vega 64 which I undervolted. Every time there was a driver update it would refer to its default power-hungry settings. Sometimes I would forget to force the undervolt again but I'd get two helpful reminders:):

1) The very very loud buzzing noise coming from the PSU which I'm hoping was coil whine.

2) The occasional BSOD or sudden loss of complete power.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Sharp announces 120 inch, 8K 120Hz display

In case you needed something for your new RTX3090 to run.

"Recommended pricing of the product has not been announced"

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

AirRaid posted:

Note that it will also only do 8k or 120hz, not both at once, due to HDMI 2.1 bandwidth limitations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
OLED or bust baby

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

HDMI 2.1 can do 8k 120hz 10bit, with DSC

At that resolution the compression probably isn't noticeable, and besides running that uncompressed would require a 128Gbps link

That's probably not happening unless we start running fiber between our sources and displays

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Incessant Excess posted:

Note that it will also only do 8k or 120hz, not both at once, due to HDMI 2.1 bandwidth limitations.

HDMI 2.1 can actually do up to 10k@120Hz.

But you're right that the TV in question can do 4k@120Hz or 8k@60Hz. My guess is that the PHY boards to support 8k@120k haven't been made yet. But apparently Japan is targeting 8k@120Hz for the Olympics, so we'll probably see them trickling out in the near future (admittedly at astounding cost, no doubt).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Taima posted:

OLED or bust baby

All I want for a monitor is 3440x1440 21:9 Oled, between 29 and 34 inches. I don't expect to see one produced for like 60 years.

edit: or MicroLED instead of OLED, I'm not picky

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 11, 2020

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Found a 3090 listing on Newegg.ca. Quite the deal at $2,600+ CAD

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

EK just announced a block for the FE cards, in addition to the reference block they already announced

https://twitter.com/EKWaterBlocks/status/1304480184905732098

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Zero VGS posted:

All I want for a monitor is 3440x1440 21:9 Oled, between 29 and 34 inches. I don't expect to see one produced for like 60 years.

edit: or MicroLED instead of OLED, I'm not picky

I could see consumer OLED monitors within a few years, lots of cool theoretical advances happening in that space!

MicroLED is completely dead in the water for multiple reasons imo but we might get somewhat affordable consumer sizes in say 5-10 years.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

6.59% of surveyed Steam users are on 1440p

It just seems common among us because we're in a thread specifically for more hardcore users

that’s actually quite a large number considering Steam is dominated by laptops and net cafe PCs

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

shrike82 posted:

there's a reason why Nvidia is trying to make 8k gaming a thing

8k is such a waste of time, 33 megapixels is well beyond the point where spatial resolution hits diminishing returns

I'd rather have 4k240/HDR 12 bit w/ full ray tracing

movax
Aug 30, 2008

repiv posted:

EK just announced a block for the FE cards, in addition to the reference block they already announced

I am so excited to get back into watercooling. I'm ignoring all blower chat and just planning on being liquid cooled on a 3080 or 3090.

I actually realized I needed to get the ASUS M.2 breakout PCIe card for my plan of using U.2 NVMe Drives -> M.2 adapters to work correctly, as the mobo 1) has the heatsink covering the M.2 slots, 2) I wouldn't have had enough CPU PCIe lanes for all the drives otherwise. So, can't just go hog wild blocking up all the slots sadly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Malcolm XML posted:

8k is such a waste of time, 33 megapixels is well beyond the point where spatial resolution hits diminishing returns

8K on a big projector might be good though!

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

that’s actually quite a large number considering Steam is dominated by laptops and net cafe PCs

yep steam stats can't be taken at face value due to sampling bias

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

8K on a big projector might be good though!

true whomst among us doesn't have an IMAX video dome?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fuf posted:

sorry this has probably been discussed to death and maybe there's no clear answer but do I really need to buy a 750w PSU for the 3080 or is 650w enough?

if it's a high-quality 650W that can actually deliver 650W then it's fine. 3080 spec is 320W, your processor probably isn't pulling more than 200W, that gives you 130W of headroom.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

AirRaid posted:

Wow that thing barely weighs more than me at 454 lbs. What sort of VESA arm do you guys think I'll need??

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

Yeah, 8k on a monitor that sits ~24" away from my face is overkill. 8k would be baller for a large format TV, though, which is probably where it's gonna stay for a considerable while. People (apparently) are willing to pay $10k+ for a big rear end TV in a way that no one is for a monitor for non-medical-imaging use.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

shrike82 posted:

https://i.imgur.com/qH5CV0i.mp4

this is the cooling you'll need for a 3090

what is this?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

repiv posted:

Considering how short the PCB is I'm looking forward to seeing some extremely compact watercooled builds

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Rinkles posted:

what is this?

It's a PC being cooled by the $10,000 per liter 3M fluid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8LViTM5kM8

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Rinkles posted:

what is this?

two phase immersion cooling

Spoiler: it gets everywhere and that fluid isn't that nice inside your lungs

asetek makes a killing selling AIOs to datacenters since watercooling is so efficient

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Malcolm XML posted:

Yeah even 1440P is really pretty much a good sweet-spot overall but certainly at least 4K@140 HDR full ray tracing would be great and probably a solid plataeu. I really don't think 240hz wil make a difference because you really start getting serious diminishing returns after 120HZ too, but then again I haven't seen a 240 monitor in person.

But yeah HDR seems like it would be nice, I dont follow tech poo poo much but is there a reason that HDR has been virtually non-existent on PCs?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

repiv posted:

Now what is left to see is how easily it is to remove the cooler from a FE card, and how it looks with the power connector at that funny angle. I'm already using a custom loop with a full cover block on my GTX 1080, and planning to upgrade to a 3080. I'm not in a hurry and can wait till stock stabilizes even into next year to see if any good options with full cover blocks preinstalled from the manufacturer show up, but good to know if I lose patience there will be a full cover block option for the FE cards if it comes to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Indiana_Krom posted:

Now what is left to see is how easily it is to remove the cooler from a FE card, and how it looks with the power connector at that funny angle. I'm already using a custom loop with a full cover block on my GTX 1080, and planning to upgrade to a 3080. I'm not in a hurry and can wait till stock stabilizes even into next year to see if any good options with full cover blocks preinstalled from the manufacturer show up, but good to know if I lose patience there will be a full cover block option for the FE cards if it comes to that.

Apparently NVidia sent out nicely worded warnings to reviewers that if they intended to do teardowns, they needed to be "very careful" not to damage the cards. Considering that the 20-series FEs were a bear to work with, I don't think it's going to be any better this time around.

Full cover blocks have already also been announced for AIB cards, though EK and co haven't specified which exact AIB cards will be supported yet. I'd expect we won't see the pre-installed full blocks from AIBs themselves for several months yet.