Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
It's me I like to spend my time doing silly gossip and looking at cat picture on my computer screen instead of working, booooo-rriiiiiiiiing hehehehe :sissies:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Just got a text

quote:

There is a slight increase in Covid cases in our area. Please keep carefully to government guidelines to protect yourself from COVID 19. Do not gather in groups of more than six inside or outside. Keep to only two households indoors. For the latest Covid-19 advice please visit https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

When it says "our area" does it mean Britain?

Cause I'm in London and I'm pretty sure London isn't actually that badly affected by the recent spike

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

kecske posted:

love 2 use the threat of authority via my presence to intimidate subordinates

Dude they couldn't bunk off work for half an hour. Call me when he's threatening to dock their wages for taking a toilet break over 15 minutes long.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
management loving sucks and I'm glad I don't have to do it any more

especially because I hate conflict so if someone did a lovely job I'd just tell them it was fine and then redo it myself later

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Gonzo McFee posted:

Dude they couldn't bunk off work for half an hour. Call me when he's threatening to dock their wages for taking a toilet break over 15 minutes long.

if someone can be proved to not be doing their work then theres workplace procedures for that. going "if im not here to hold their faces to the grindstone then they must not be doing anything" is a supreme boomer mindset

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Problem is as a manager you're put in a lovely position by the higher ups.

If you're offered to be a manager in a job like, say, software development, where you might already be earning 50 or 60k it's easy enough to turn down, because you're likely already living comfortably, and I know people who've done this because they didn't want the responsibility. If you're working at somewhere poo poo, like a retail, fast food place, or numerous other places like small offices etc. you're probably paid like poo poo in the first place, and you might only get like 2 quid an hour more but it's often both:

a) Enough money to make a difference (2 quid an hour on top of 8 or 10 quid an hour as a base level worker is a significant percentage increase) and
b) The only way of advancement (and pay increase).

Plus, if you turn it down, well the company might have to hire someone else from outside the business, who will then be in charge of you, who, being hired directly into a middle-manager position, is likely to be an arsehole. Also sometimes in shittier workplaces, if you turn down a managerial position, you can eventually get fired because the higher-ups feel like you've wronged them, or it brings into question your work ethic, or whatever.

So like, mostly people who end up in middle manager jobs are not really suited to it, don't really want to be managing other people, but can't really turn it down.

So now you've found yourself a manager of a small team - maybe just a couple of people, and now it's you who has to answer to the higher ups if your department/team doesn't get the work done. Also it's very often the case that the manager doesn't spend all of their time managing, it's just that you're doing exactly the same work as the people you manage, but you're also responsible for co-ordinating and making sure that the desired volume of work gets done and maybe some other admin-type stuff. So if people under you are slacking, you have to pick up the slack of doing the actual work, AND you're responsible to the higher-ups for these other people's behaviour.

I've made a lot of suppositions here and I don't necessarily know what CB's sitch is exactly, but I don't *necessarily* think he's being an office Nazi or whatever. It sounds to me like CB's colleagues might be being uncomradely.

As a more general point though I don't think that AMAB - they often are but quite often I think it's just a lovely position they're forced into by capitalism. We're all in precarious positions, until you're at the point where you're ready to retire and you've got enough of a pension or savings or whatever that you don't ever have to worry about working anymore - and it feels like many of us will never get to that point.

There are other ways to handle things in CB's situation but if, as I suspect, CB is just barely elevated above his colleagues then again it's a lovely position where you assume all of the responsibilities of managing people without having any real authority over them, often because if you tried to assert authority over them it would just sour the whole team dynamic.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Even if I accepted all of those suppositions as valid, none of them seem to be solved by skipping lunch just to gently caress with your employees.

Don't gently caress with your employees. If you need to discipline them, discipline them. If you need to help/train them, do that. Don't play mind games with them.

We're too late into capitalism, but a lot of this could have been solved by "don't pay people who organise the work more than people who do the work".

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Just got a text

Cause I'm in London and I'm pretty sure London isn't actually that badly affected by the recent spike

It's increasing all over the UK now, it's merely worse up north.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
With the number of people getting on increasingly crowded trains without wearing masks, I doubt it'll be long before Nodnol gets hit hard.
Bonus points to the bored shitless police officer texting on his phone rather than actually paying any attention to the people coming into the Tube station on my way home. Bravo, shitwit.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

blunt posted:

Even if I accepted all of those suppositions as valid, none of them seem to be solved by skipping lunch just to gently caress with your employees.

Don't gently caress with your employees. If you need to discipline them, discipline them. If you need to help/train them, do that. Don't play mind games with them.

We're too late into capitalism, but a lot of this could have been solved by "don't pay people who organise the work more than people who do the work".

As somebody else already said, "loving with your employees" in this case means "not letting them freely bunk off for half an hour".

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

kecske posted:

if someone can be proved to not be doing their work then theres workplace procedures for that. going "if im not here to hold their faces to the grindstone then they must not be doing anything" is a supreme boomer mindset

It's hardly the Pinkertons though is it?

Ober thought it'd be a funny story, it got rebuffed, no reason to focus on it for pages at a time.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Gonzo McFee posted:

I think you're all reading too much into a dude loving with people for a laugh that causes no harm.

Managers loving with their underlings can eat a bag of dicks

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 11, 2020

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

blunt posted:

I agree with most of your post but on this last bit: organising work is less intrinsically meaningful than doing work. If I build a cabinet I have the sense of achievement that comes with a job well done. If I’m in charge of A B and C who build cabinets where is that sense of achievement supposed to come from? If they’re good enough they did it themselves and if they’re poo poo enough that wood flinches from their grasp then it’s just my fault now they are poo poo. The only place I as a manager add any value is if they’re in the sweet spot of good enough to learn and bad enough not to know it all already. This is a good model for a lot of skill based jobs but not all.

I suppose there’s a hypothetical species of mentor aliens who don’t need to have done anything but get their entire sense of self worth from developing others. But that’s not us.

So we pay people more if they can manage well because (A) it’s not a very fun thing to do; and (B) when you layer that on top of not everyone being able to do it well, it’s a small pool.

That’s the bit that makes sense, then capitalism gives us “everyone who is a manager is paid well because otherwise it would embarrass the bad ones and we have to care about that because they are Real People” which only works due to certain assumptions about who constitutes a Real Person.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's hardly the Pinkertons though is it?

Ober thought it'd be a funny story, it got rebuffed, no reason to focus on it for pages at a time.

Definitely an overreaction here.

For all we know these girls are just nepotism placements by the gentry that ober works with and have as much interest in doing work as they do

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

As somebody else already said, "loving with your employees" in this case means "not letting them freely bunk off for half an hour".

who gives a poo poo if they bunk off for half an hour or not? "you MUST be working at 100% for every minute you're at work" is some serious :capitalism: poo poo

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

WhatEvil posted:

Yup. OP didn't mention that work was behind or deadlines were being missed or customers were raising complaints, or any of the other things that managers would be concerned about, so I took it as OP is envious that their employees have more time to bunk of than (s)he does. "If I can't enjoy myself neither can you".

It's the office equivalent of "if you've got time to lean you've got time to clean".

I'm sticking with be an adult and talk to your subordinates instead of playing mind games with them. Final answer Jeremy.

Beefeater1980 posted:

I suppose there’s a hypothetical species of mentor aliens who don’t need to have done anything but get their entire sense of self worth from developing others. But that’s not us.

So we pay people more if they can manage well because (A) it’s not a very fun thing to do; and (B) when you layer that on top of not everyone being able to do it well, it’s a small pool.

Yeah I largely agree with what you've said, but I assume that [most of] the people who really excel at being good managers probably do find developing people meaningful (I've certainly worked with software Dev managers who do).

The rest of them - the bad ones - are there because it pays more (or they get off on having power over others, granted this is a small minority). They'd be better served in another role/profession but they stick around because middle management is just the right balance of pay/workload/golf trips.

As an aside, hell is being a call center floor manager. There's not enough money in the world to pay me to go back to that. That job is the embodiment of being poo poo on from all sides (and yes I took the promotion because it was more money and less work than being a phone jockey and gained zero self worth from it)

blunt fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 11, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Everyone's allowed to wind people up a tiny bit every once in a while and the strawmen being built around Ober's extremely mild "Lol I've slightly annoyed two subordinates" story are starting to blot out the sun.

gently caress knows what you'd think of my policy of changing people's desktops to catman (blast from the past for the LF crew there) rather than going through the formal disciplinary process if they leave their machines unlocked.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

blunt posted:

Yup. OP didn't mention that work was behind or deadlines were being missed or customers were raising complaints, or any of the other things that managers would be concerned about, so I took it as OP is envious that his employees have more time to bunk of than (s)he does. "If I can't enjoy myself neither can you".

It's the office equivalent of "if you've got time to lean you've got time to clean".

I'm sticking with be an adult and talk to your subordinates instead of playing mind games with them. Final answer Jeremy.

Yeah this is fair I was looking for the actual consequences of his colleagues not doing stuff and would still be interested to know it.

And Obe if you were just pissed off but not actually justified, you know, that’s ok. We all have those moments.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Everyone's allowed to wind people up a tiny bit every once in a while and the strawmen being built around Ober's extremely mild "Lol I've slightly annoyed two subordinates" story are starting to blot out the sun.

gently caress knows what you'd think of my policy of changing people's desktops to catman (blast from the past for the LF crew there) rather than going through the formal disciplinary process if they leave their machines unlocked.

The Catman of Greenock?!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Better hold on to your sides to stop them from splitting everyone;
https://twitter.com/mattforde/status/1304369734901784576

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's not harassment, that's appropriate security training.

We used to have a webpage we'd pull up that counted the number of seconds it had been open. Whoever had the highest total each week had to bring in biscuits in Monday.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

The Catman of Greenock?!

:nws: He's pale enough to be from there I suppose:nws:

Orlando Furioso
Nov 7, 2012
The local Birmingham lockdown guidance makes no sense whatsoever (what a surprise) and the messaging is just confusing and contradictory. I can't meet my brother in either his or my house where we can be certain about cleanliness and Covid controls but I can freely meet up with him to go shopping or for a pint/meal in a restaurant places which are allegedly "Covid secure".

Having seen a bunch of people in the local supermarket just giving zero fucks about following any sort of social distancing or wearing a mask, and seeing a restaurant being linked to 25 cases in the area, I cannot see how that is lower risk at all?

Its just a loving shambles all around.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Kiss of death tbh.

Wish they'd stop trying to revive the dead political satire of old and instead give money to young fresh faced comedians who aren't friends of Russel Howard.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

70 million people. Ish. In the Uk.

Mostly Tories.

We done.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Kiss of death tbh.

Wish they'd stop trying to revive the dead political satire of old and instead give money to young fresh faced comedians who aren't friends of Russel Howard.

It was always going to be poo poo. This is more a little post-it-note confirmation of that than anything.

Soley relying on name recognition and nostalgia, and appealing only to those who still think HIGNFY is biting satire.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 11, 2020

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
New spitting image will have a hilarious musical number called "I've never met a nice European"

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Hold a chlorinated chicken in the air....

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And it'll still be called left wing comedy because it doesn't entirely consist of fellating conservatism and doing Jamaican Countdown.

Julio Cruz posted:

who gives a poo poo if they bunk off for half an hour or not? "you MUST be working at 100% for every minute you're at work" is some serious :capitalism: poo poo
taylorism bitch

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It'll be released in 2022 and half the punchlines will still be "But at least he's not Jeremy Corbyn" with no hint of self reflection at Boris doing anything heinous.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
"And what about the vegetables?"

"We say no to Brussels."

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pesky Splinter posted:

Oh come on the Oasis reference is a step too far, Trevor Bastard is getting lazy now.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh come on the Oasis reference is a step too far, Trevor Bastard is getting lazy now.

I'm sad to say that the Trevor Bastard Expanded Universe, is actually just The Universe, now.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the gen xers are finally getting into position which can decide culture and commission exciting new projects , except theyre all bereft of ideas because theyve always been under someone else for 40 years and anything new like tik tok just scares them

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

This is informing... mainly the LD result.

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1304512260237332481?s=20

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Beefeater1980 posted:

I agree with most of your post but on this last bit: organising work is less intrinsically meaningful than doing work. If I build a cabinet I have the sense of achievement that comes with a job well done. If I’m in charge of A B and C who build cabinets where is that sense of achievement supposed to come from? If they’re good enough they did it themselves and if they’re poo poo enough that wood flinches from their grasp then it’s just my fault now they are poo poo. The only place I as a manager add any value is if they’re in the sweet spot of good enough to learn and bad enough not to know it all already. This is a good model for a lot of skill based jobs but not all.

That’s the bit that makes sense, then capitalism gives us “everyone who is a manager is paid well because otherwise it would embarrass the bad ones and we have to care about that because they are Real People” which only works due to certain assumptions about who constitutes a Real Person.

it's not unknown; in e.g. facilities the staff manager is often less well-paid than the tradespeople on the ground

still, it's not going to be common because, generally speaking, an organisation exists because it's not two or more smaller organisations instead. In cases where management is 'easy' or at least easier in some sense than maintaining the internal command economy that exists within any company, the logical endpoint is that the manager-subordinate relationship becomes a client-vendor relationship

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

weird that they asked the Tories twice

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Julio Cruz posted:

weird that they asked the Tories twice

Got roughly the same answer though.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Just got a text

I’m in London too and didn’t get a text, so it must be a smaller region than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Why is it a sherman firefly? Why is it not a glorious BRITANE churchill or cromwell?

Or the best tank, the crusader, because the turret is a funny shape.

Because the Firefly was actually good OP. We didnt have anything as good till the Comet.