Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
If only there were some way to impose a hard cultural limit to such things, perhaps by starting an arms race in regards to the greatest thrust and penetration ratios :quagmire:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Don't be such a 那个

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-54107329

"The suspension of a US university professor has ignited a debate over the use of a seemingly innocuous Chinese word.

Professor Greg Patton at the University of Southern California (USC) was telling students in a communications lecture last month about filler, or pause words, such as 'err', 'umm' or 'you know' in English."

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kharnifex posted:

Don't be such a 那个

"The suspension of a US university professor has ignited a debate over the use of a seemingly innocuous Chinese word.

Professor Greg Patton at the University of Southern California (USC) was telling students in a communications lecture last month about filler, or pause words, such as 'err', 'umm' or 'you know' in English."

That’s pretty messed up but I’m gonna guess that it’s not pronounced Na (nah) Ge (Gee) lol

I’m bad with languages but when I see it written that’s how I see it.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

MarcusSA posted:

That’s pretty messed up but I’m gonna guess that it’s not pronounced Na (nah) Ge (Gee) lol

I’m bad with languages but when I see it written that’s how I see it.

Those es are pronounced like the first half of Bayou Billy's death sound in the terrible nes games 'Bayou Billy'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDuuq05TrfE

If you play Bayou Billy for 5 minutes that sounds gonna get drilled in your head so it's a good way to remember

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BrainDance posted:

Those es are pronounced like the first half of Bayou Billy's death sound in the terrible nes games 'Bayou Billy'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDuuq05TrfE

If you play Bayou Billy for 5 minutes that sounds gonna get drilled in your head so it's a good way to remember

So guh?

The first part is still Nah?

Nah Guh?

Obviously I’m missing how it’s supposed to sound because from the article it definitely sounds like yeah... just seems weird how it’s written.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

nah becomes nei when spoken sometimes,

Here's what got him fired, he says it correctly in the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M0aD78sw8U&t=26s

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What a dumb innocent thing to suspend somebody over. It's not even China specific. Anybody who knows more than one language knows there are crossovers. What a bunch of idiots in the USC faculty.

gently caress the Wumaos trying to make it a China thing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BrainDance posted:

nah becomes nei when spoken sometimes,

Here's what got him fired, he says it correctly in the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M0aD78sw8U&t=26s

It’s probably because I know what he’s saying but it sounds like ne-ga and even the transcript on the side of the video is saying the same thing.

Seems like a weird thing to get fired for especially since the transcript is showing the word.

:shrug:

Obviously it’s something people should be aware that Chinese people say commonly since as the article pointed out it’s caused issues in the past.

Weird.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I'm not sure more people being aware is going to help it. The response from the dean was like 'the professor used this Chinese word' then immediately jumped to a thing about vile language and horrible words etc etc. So he is aware, it's not a misunderstanding.

Which is a very weird way to go about it in a country with no official language, giving preference to the meaning of a sound in English at the expense of other languages, especially at a school with students who speak that as their native language. It's like language supremacy or something. To me, personally, and the way I think of racism, the schools response is what's racist.

The dean there now got his job after the last dean was pushed out after a racism scandal I think. So that's probably a part of it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I was more speaking about the professor using the word and explaining its meaning to the students so that they would be aware of its meaning when speaking to audiences in other languages.

Obviously this didn’t work though lol.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
im p sure everyone who goes to china has the "why the gently caress do they keep saying the n word into their phones" moment

Anyway the university's reaction is absurd

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 11, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
or, a moment of gee i wish the in laws would stop having trouble finding their words amongst each other while guestering off in a direction that happens to be where a black family is seated at the restaurant last year

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The University is backpedaling and trying to claim he's not suspended, but the whole thing is stupid because the dean implied that the Chinese word was itself hateful and it's like gently caress you.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I have definitely witnessed a foreigner in China saying it to be deliberately edgy.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget
The Century Of National Humiliation.

Kharnifex posted:

Don't be such a 那个

Just wait till they lose their mind hearing someone talking about other people’s siblings in a conversation and says “Your older brother”.

nong fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 11, 2020

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

MarcusSA posted:

Seems like a weird thing to get fired for especially since the transcript is showing the word.

:shrug:

You have a bunch of college kids who are having an online competition to be the "most woke", and stuff like this goes viral quick given the media climate. Any university would do the same to avoid looking racist and having a massive protest on their campus to fire the prof.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

To get back to Tzi Ma chat, I'm listening to him on Leonard Maltin's podcast and he has a real New Yawk accent. I guess I've never heard his real accent before.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
hah yeah when i was in china for the first time on semester abroad i asked the teacher on the first night why everyone was going around repeating the n-word over and over

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Speaking of language crossovers...
https://i.imgur.com/QpiwCiW.gifv

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Blistex posted:

You have a bunch of college kids who are having an online competition to be the "most woke", and stuff like this goes viral quick given the media climate. Any university would do the same to avoid looking racist and having a massive protest on their campus to fire the prof.

Photography professors hurrying to update their materials before they get to the section on Photoshop and the technique of "crushing the blacks".

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Pham Nuwen posted:

Photography professors hurrying to update their materials before they get to the section on Photoshop and the technique of "crushing the blacks".

:eyepop:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

Geography professors accidentally leaving the name of Niger off the map.

Also I hope they don't find out what the Spanish word for black is.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
well I live right next to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negros_Island

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

hakimashou posted:

im p sure everyone who goes to china has the "why the gently caress do they keep saying the n word into their phones" moment

Yeah. I told students heading to the US about it, you can't expect everyone to be aware that it isn't the n word just around in public, but uh. Lol at that university.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Guy Axlerod posted:

Also I hope they don't find out what the Spanish word for black is.

linguistics professor fired for teaching Latin roots

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
for anyone who doesn't know, in chinese 'that' 那个 is pronounced either 'na ge' or 'nei ge'. and people tend to say it over and over to fill time like saying 'umm' or 'like'. and as someone mentioned 'your brother' 你哥 is 'ni ge'

one of those odd things when you don't know what's going on but not a big deal

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Guy Axlerod posted:

Geography professors accidentally leaving the name of Niger off the map.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

poe's

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

poe's this

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/689501187191734283/754122714289012806/1599862662747.webm

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Wait, Xi is Kratos?

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
It doesn’t even have be a foreign word that sounds like a slur to get you in trouble.

Wikipedia posted:

David Howard incident
On January 15, 1999, David Howard, an aide to Anthony A. Williams, the mayor of Washington, D.C., used "niggardly" in reference to a budget. This apparently upset one of his black colleagues, who misinterpreted it as a racial slur and lodged a complaint.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

HerStuddMuffin posted:

It doesn’t even have be a foreign word that sounds like a slur to get you in trouble.

honestly, just retire niggardly. stingy works just fine.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
More people know that word because of its resemblance than any other way.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

oohhboy posted:

What a dumb innocent thing to suspend somebody over. It's not even China specific. Anybody who knows more than one language knows there are crossovers. What a bunch of idiots in the USC faculty.

gently caress the Wumaos trying to make it a China thing.

Korean is famous for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNkpdRF0OFI&t=94s

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 12, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Quote is not edit.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

lol, this is great

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Every Chinese diplomatic board doing any kind of PR with the english-speaking west should have at least 1 fluent English speaker on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hainan_Island_incident#Letter_of_the_two_sorries

quote:

The "Letter of the two sorries"[28] was the letter delivered by the United States Ambassador Joseph Prueher to Foreign Minister Tang Jiaxuan of the People's Republic of China to defuse the incident. The delivery of the letter led to the release of the U.S. crew from Chinese custody, as well as the eventual return of the disassembled aircraft.[20]

The letter stated that the United States was "very sorry" for the death of Chinese pilot Wang Wei (王伟), and was "very sorry" the aircraft entered China's airspace and that its landing did not have "verbal clearance".[29]

Also, lol

quote:

The United States stated that it was "not a letter of apology," as some state-run Chinese media outlets characterized it at the time, but "an expression of regret and sorrow".[2]

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:lol: that event was totally the Chinese pilot fault, dude thought he was top gun. The recon pilot is an absolute boss.

The Chinese has both recorders and refuses to release them which tells you everything.

:lol: wut

quote:

In addition to paying for the dismantling and shipping of the EP-3, the United States paid for the 11 days of food and lodging supplied by the Chinese government to the aircraft's crew, in the amount of $34,567.89.[38] The Chinese had demanded one million dollars compensation from the U.S. for the lost J-8 and their pilot, but this was declined and no further negotiations were held.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

BrainDance posted:

Luonan county, border of Shaanxi and Henan.

I dropped a pin in Luonan on google maps because I wanted to see how rural the area looked and this dude was just taking a picture of the person who took the panorama lol.
Is that this Beijing bikini with trench-coat? :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

CHINA!