Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gaunab posted:

A lot of trouble for Passengers could have been solved by the writers just saying Jennifer Lawrence was also accidentally thawed out.

They could even have split the difference, where he needs to thaw SOMEONE to help save the ship, and picks her.

That's lovely enough to be the Complication for a romance plot, but is more of a lovely situation than a crazy-evil choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

oldpainless posted:

For a romance done right might I suggest Twilight

More like oldloveless.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

HopperUK posted:

It would have been such a *good* horror movie, too. I'm still kind of baffled as to how so many dudes didn't see what he was doing. Once in a while you realise that there are quite a few men who don't really think of women as, like, *people*, and it's really disquieting.

The really loving weird thing about that movie, I tried convincing my wife it's really hosed up and not romantic. She thinks it's romantic as hell. I love my wife to no end, but nobody can make me :psyduck: as hard as she can.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
More like Leaveyourwife.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Does the "to me, you are perfect" scene in Love Actually have the same division on gender lines?

Coz, whilst I enjoy the movie for what it is, I think that scene/plotline is creepy and gross as hell. And am not alone in this A dude who, when employed as the wedding photographer of his friend, spends the entire ceremony concentrated on the bride, and then creepily declares his love for her, with hints of "He's not good enough for you" and "nobody will love you like I do"

But there are also huge amounts of people who think it is sweet and romantic etc.

And it is replayed in a godawful comic relief thing they did recently with all the characters all growed up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFjzbvW6rUg
Seriously. This is loving awful, and devoid of anything resembling humour, wit, or warmth.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Does the "to me, you are perfect" scene in Love Actually have the same division on gender lines?

Coz, whilst I enjoy the movie for what it is, I think that scene/plotline is creepy and gross as hell. And am not alone in this A dude who, when employed as the wedding photographer of his friend, spends the entire ceremony concentrated on the bride, and then creepily declares his love for her, with hints of "He's not good enough for you" and "nobody will love you like I do"

But there are also huge amounts of people who think it is sweet and romantic etc.

And it is replayed in a godawful comic relief thing they did recently with all the characters all growed up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFjzbvW6rUg
Seriously. This is loving awful, and devoid of anything resembling humour, wit, or warmth.

There are very few 'good' Hollywood depictions of healthy romance from either direction. I imagine a gender swap would likely make it way worse.

It feels like from the standard fare in r/relationship people end up convinced those hosed up relationship dynamics are normal and sane and end up in really toxic and lovely situations as a result of it.

I think the most memorable one to me is How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days which was just loving gross as hell for a portrayal of any kind of normal or healthy relationship dynamic.

And also 40 Days and 40 Nights, where the guy gets 'raped' by his ex-GF so she can win a bet and the whole thing is shown as him cheating on the girl he was interested in and he has to run to her and beg forgiveness and she only 'forgives' him because he proves how special their time was.(speaking of gender swaps that would turn a movie into a loving dark horror film)

pentyne has a new favorite as of 07:36 on Sep 11, 2020

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I’m confused and can someone do the effort post of what happens in Passengers because you all keep sayings it’s a romantic movie when the plot sounds like it needs Sigonary Weaver to show up with a pulse rifle.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

pentyne posted:

There are very few 'good' Hollywood depictions of healthy romance from either direction. I imagine a gender swap would likely make it way worse.

It feels like from the standard fare in r/relationship people end up convinced those hosed up relationship dynamics are normal and sane and end up in really toxic and lovely situations as a result of it.

I've said it a thousand times, romcoms have so much to answer for. Where do you even begin?

The whole 'one true love' idea is definitely the most toxic and omnipresent thing.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Comstar posted:

I’m confused and can someone do the effort post of what happens in Passengers because you all keep sayings it’s a romantic movie when the plot sounds like it needs Sigonary Weaver to show up with a pulse rifle.

Chris Pratt plays a passenger on a sleeper ship on a 200 year journey that is awakened 120 years early due to a malfunction. He spends a year completely alone except for a robot bartender until he spots Jennifer Lawrence in a pod and becomes infatuated with her after reading her file. He wakes her up and lies to her that her pod malfunctioned too, meaning he just doomed her to spend the rest of her life alone with him. She eventually falls for him but then he reveals what he did and she is naturally pissed and demands he stay away from her. However, they are interrupted by Lawrence Fishburne waking up and them finding out that there are multiple malfunctions that will destroy the whole ship. Fishburne dies, they save the ship and they find that they can use Fishburne's code to put Lawrence back into hibernation. She refuses and it ends 88 years later with everyone waking up and Lawrence narrating over what a great life she had all alone on a ship with a psycho.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

AceOfFlames posted:

Chris Pratt plays a passenger on a sleeper ship on a 200 year journey that is awakened 120 years early due to a malfunction. He spends a year completely alone except for a robot bartender until he spots Jennifer Lawrence in a pod and becomes infatuated with her after reading her file. He wakes her up and lies to her that her pod malfunctioned too, meaning he just doomed her to spend the rest of her life alone with him. She eventually falls for him but then he reveals what he did and she is naturally pissed and demands he stay away from her. However, they are interrupted by Lawrence Fishburne waking up and them finding out that there are multiple malfunctions that will destroy the whole ship. Fishburne dies, they save the ship and they find that they can use Fishburne's code to put Lawrence back into hibernation. She refuses and it ends 88 years later with everyone waking up and Lawrence narrating over what a great life she had all alone on a ship with an psychoincurable romantic sweetiepie.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Also her file was full of "honey you work too hard, when are you gonna find a man?" letters and videos from family and friends so he knew she was single.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Gap Cycle also had a ton of rape in the first book, and the rapist went on to be a major protagonist. Stephen Donaldson really loves rape in his books.

He's talking about the Gap Cycle. There's an essay in the back of book 1 explaining how it was inspired by the Ring Cycle.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

pentyne posted:

And also 40 Days and 40 Nights, where the guy gets 'raped' by his ex-GF so she can win a bet and the whole thing is shown as him cheating on the girl he was interested in and he has to run to her and beg forgiveness and she only 'forgives' him because he proves how special their time was.(speaking of gender swaps that would turn a movie into a loving dark horror film)

I went to read the plot on wikipedia and the sources led me to this ama of the writer Rob Perez where, when asked about the rape scene, he replies

quote:

um, this is awkward. i wrote that so i take full responsibility. i didnt shoot it so thats the director but its pretty much what was on the page. -the scene was in no way a statement about women abusing men (isnt that category called kathy bates?), its a natural, if dark, end of act two for a sex comedy. - we had a lot of very intelligent people, writers, producers, directors, studio folk, etc. - think of different solutions to the problem and this was what we all determined was the best. im sorry if you didnt like it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

If that's what a group of "intelligent people" "determined it was best" then FIND ANOTHER GROUP.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I actually forgot it was only a year before he unfroze her.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Jedit posted:

He's talking about the Gap Cycle. There's an essay in the back of book 1 explaining how it was inspired by the Ring Cycle.

Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tunicate posted:

They could even have split the difference, where he needs to thaw SOMEONE to help save the ship, and picks her.

That's lovely enough to be the Complication for a romance plot, but is more of a lovely situation than a crazy-evil choice.

"Wow, the [technobabble] needs to be inverted on the phased plasma array or the ship will implode! Let's look at the crew manifest and see who has the skills to save everyone. Okay, there are only two people - some fat old guy or this beautiful young woman. I pick her."

There. Now you get a shameful reveal for why she specifically was awakened without coming across like Chris Pratt: Space Rapist.

EDIT: Of course, that's still not good good. But it's a drat sight better than what they went with.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Sep 11, 2020

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"Wow, the [technobabble] needs to be inverted on the phased plasma array or the ship will implode! Let's look at the crew manifest and see who has the skills to save everyone. Okay, there are only two people - some fat old guy or this beautiful young woman. I pick her."

There. Now you get a shameful reveal for why she specifically was awakened without coming across like Chris Pratt: Space Rapist.

EDIT: Of course, that's still not good good. But it's a drat sight better than what they went with.

Gonna be honest I'm glad we sidestepped a national conversation about whether or not, if he did have to wake up one of them and they were equally qualified, using an arbitrary criteria to make the choice carries a moral weight given that either way he was going to gently caress over someone's life and so on. At least Space Rapist is pretty straightforward

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The problem isn't they needed a "good" reason for Pratt to wake up a women it's that it was presented as ultimately romantic. The explosive reveal that he stole her life is then completely derailed by the ship needing fixing which in the process of doing she decides she loves him and will give up her life to be with him.

The "good" ending would've been he just puts her in the spare cryo tube while she's knocked out and she wakes up with everyone else and realizes he did the only thing he could to make it right and let her have her live back.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Why did a ship that is meant to house people in cryo-sleep for 20 years even HAVE a bar and robot bartender?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

Why did a ship that is meant to house people in cryo-sleep for 20 years even HAVE a bar and robot bartender?

IIRC they were supposed to wake up a month before landing and have a luxury space cruise experience.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Did the ship not have a setup for a support crew to get unfrozen and refrozen periodically, to make sure that everything is still running?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jedit posted:

Weird, I don’t think my copy had that. I figured he just had yet another series that was full of rape because that would be the least surprising thing ever.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Schubalts posted:

Did the ship not have a setup for a support crew to get unfrozen and refrozen periodically, to make sure that everything is still running?

"The AI will handle it" - Elon Musk

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Garrand posted:

I went to read the plot on wikipedia and the sources led me to this ama of the writer Rob Perez where, when asked about the rape scene, he replies

god drat i read the rest of the comment thread about that and now i want to break this fucker's jaw.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

god drat i read the rest of the comment thread about that and now i want to break this fucker's jaw.

lmao he gets so hung up on the fact that the person criticizing him named their reddit account "asspants" :decorum:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

pentyne posted:

The problem isn't they needed a "good" reason for Pratt to wake up a women it's that it was presented as ultimately romantic. The explosive reveal that he stole her life is then completely derailed by the ship needing fixing which in the process of doing she decides she loves him and will give up her life to be with him.

The "good" ending would've been he just puts her in the spare cryo tube while she's knocked out and she wakes up with everyone else and realizes he did the only thing he could to make it right and let her have her live back.

They could have kept the tension by having both woken up by accident, Pratt’s character figures out a way to put her back under but is torn about doing it and being alone so he doesn’t tell her. Still a betrayal, but a bit more understandable one since deliberately choosing solitary life is a harder sacrifice than “don’t be a creepy bastard and wake up somebody because you’re horny”. Hell, would work even without the romance that way, nobody wants solitary confinement.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Weird, I don’t think my copy had that. I figured he just had yet another series that was full of rape because that would be the least surprising thing ever.

It's an interesting little essay on the creative process. The whole series is a good adaption of Wagner's Ring Cycle to science fiction. It carries some very heavy content warnings beyond the rape stuff, but it rises above. It's actually less awful than the original.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

mllaneza posted:

but it rises above. It's actually less awful than the original.

I’ve just always enjoyed the way Donaldson doubled down on people hating the hero of his first book being a rapist by having the hero of his next book be a much more prolific rapist. Master troll.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Love, Actually Is, Actually piss. It is one of those weird movies where I see so little of value in it it’s genuinely baffling when someone says they enjoy it

Like Chappie

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Calico Heart posted:

Love, Actually Is, Actually piss. It is one of those weird movies where I see so little of value in it it’s genuinely baffling when someone says they enjoy it

Like Chappie

I like Chappie, I bet you hate Short Circuit too

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Chappie, the movie, was worth it for Chappie, the character.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r16kyb4FF9g&t=777s

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

rydiafan posted:

Chappie, the movie, was worth it for Chappie, the character.

tbh I thought it was a good movie in general.

the title character/Copley's performance is obviously the big deal, but everything around him is a decent little action movie in and of itself. Blomkamp does good poo poo.

e: it also helps that i can stand Die Antwoord, if you can't at least tolerate them you're going to really loving hate that movie

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The We Bare Bears movie aged badly immediately on release. Taking a good comedy show that stretches a premise for 11 minutes to feature length wasn't going to work anyway but they ended up making it a thin metaphor for discrimination and Trump's family separation policies. The day is saved in part by the Good Cop who arrests the evil federal agent and helps save everybody.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the other hand, the Coneheads movie from decades ago actually aged surprisingly well - I first watched it a few years ago. It basically involved aliens coming to Earth and being stuck there longer than they wanted to be, so long it takes generations for them to be picked up. They become entrenched in US culture, and most people end up liking them pretty quickly, it's just one government agent who initially obsesses with them because they are undocumented, and even then when he's facing a promotion he is willing to ignore them, the only reason he doesn't is that the person promoting him wants him to finish his outstanding cases first, and they are one of them. The agent doesn't actually care by that point, he's just been given an ultimatum, so has to follow through.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Coneheads was one of the better SNL skits too.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

tbh I thought it was a good movie in general.

the title character/Copley's performance is obviously the big deal, but everything around him is a decent little action movie in and of itself. Blomkamp does good poo poo.

e: it also helps that i can stand Die Antwoord, if you can't at least tolerate them you're going to really loving hate that movie

I was just really pissed that Sigourney Weaver’s role was so terribly written. All the B writing for the rest of the movie was fitting but seemed jarring with her.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It was really dumb at the end of Chappie when the bad guy takes his psychic link fighter out for a spin and immediately grabs onto a couple joysticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MadDogMike posted:

would work even without the romance
Every TV and film writer needs to have this printed out and taped to their monitor as a constant reminder.