Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

From my understanding of how plots work in the game, you cannot actually "stop" them. What it does is instead make them more likely to be discovered (which gives a significant penalty to success chance), reduces plot power (which makes it take longer to fire), and has a chance of discovering agents involved (which gives you a chance to arrest them and reduce plot power and success chance).

Oh, in that case, maybe he can only discover plots aimed directly at me, not my children. Yeah, still seems like about half my plots get "discovered" along the way, while I don't think I've ever discovered someone else's.

Thanks to everyone replying to my constant questions, btw. I swear I'm getting decent at this game :)

Martout posted:

my court physician just "healed" my gout by cutting my leg off

thanks buddy!

I've had gout. I can't say I didn't consider losing a toe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The more I play, the more skeptical of the fervor system I become. In my current game, Catholicism has almost been wiped out by Waldensian and Insular (and me, to be fair).

Edit: Wait, you cannot disinherit someone if they're a different religion than you? That's... very strange.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 11, 2020

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

strong bird posted:

yeah. form the faith without it and then (probably a good idea to wait until you get the Schism event):

add_doctrine doctrine_ (hit space and it will give you a list of doctrines)

doesn't seem to work. doctrines is stuff like marriage laws and whether or not you have a spiritual head, tenets is stuff like communion, armed pilgrimages etc

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 11, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
For your Crusader Kingdom, just make up your own christian faith with Islam Syncretism, bing bong so simple.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Whorelord posted:

doesn't seem to work. doctrines is stuff like marriage laws and whether or not you have a spiritual head, tenets is stuff like communion, armed pilgrimages etc

add_doctrine is definitely the command you just need to find the tag

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

After like 70 hours of playing I finally united Ireland, and then had a faction war happen basically right after that.

But I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do now. Scotland and Britain have a lot more power, and more levies than I do so taking them over seems like it'd be a pain.

Do I just start building out my various Duchies/Earldoms/Counties? My tax rate is horrendous. I learned a lot over restarting over that period of time but just no clue of what to do next.

e: I'm still insular christianity and stuff too - Like there's so many things I could build towards

dreffen fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 11, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I find something pretty odd about piety being used to reform religions or change religions. Like, if I'm pious, I'm getting those points by behaving in such a way that my religion wants me to already. On the one hand, suddenly going against all of that should tank my piety (thereby explaining the expense), but....... why would I want to convert/rebel at that point? It seems like it's promoting you to act wildly out of character.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

dreffen posted:

But I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do now. Scotland and Britain have a lot more power, and more levies than I do so taking them over seems like it'd be a pain.

Ally with one and go after the other.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

I find something pretty odd about piety being used to reform religions or change religions. Like, if I'm pious, I'm getting those points by behaving in such a way that my religion wants me to already. On the one hand, suddenly going against all of that should tank my piety (thereby explaining the expense), but....... why would I want to convert/rebel at that point? It seems like it's promoting you to act wildly out of character.

heresiarchs are usually priests historically so that makes some sense

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Chewbot posted:

Oh, in that case, maybe he can only discover plots aimed directly at me, not my children. Yeah, still seems like about half my plots get "discovered" along the way, while I don't think I've ever discovered someone else's.

I've definitely seen popups regarding plots discovered against my courtiers, but I don't know whether my spymaster contributed in that case or not. I wouldn't expect him to do anything for plots against children who have their own land or have moved to other courts though.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Imagine yourself if some drunkard preacher from a small town who no one's ever heard of proclaimed that he knew what God really wanted, you lot are all wrong, I have the true faith right here! Would anyone follow him? Not many, and they'd be called crazy. But now imagine if the Pope suddenly said that. A lot more people would listen. In essence, having a stockpile of Piety symbolizes you being a person of high spiritual authority who people are inclined to trust when you're telling them God wants you to reform the religion.

Of course, once you've done that, you've already asked people to take a big step and follow you in the reformed faith, so the next religious commandment you make is going to be a little harder to push through...

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 11, 2020

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

dreffen posted:

After like 70 hours of playing I finally united Ireland, and then had a faction war happen basically right after that.

Do I just start building out my various Duchies/Earldoms/Counties? My tax rate is horrendous. I learned a lot over restarting over that period of time but just no clue of what to do next.

e: I'm still insular christianity and stuff too - Like there's so many things I could build towards

Building up is a good idea. Another easy target if they’re still independent are the Welsh duchies.

That said, you want to make sure that you don’t conquer all of a potential kingdom while you’re still under Confederate Partition, or the realm will get broken up when you die.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Broken Cog posted:

The more I play, the more skeptical of the fervor system I become. In my current game, Catholicism has almost been wiped out by Waldensian and Insular (and me, to be fair).

Edit: Wait, you cannot disinherit someone if they're a different religion than you? That's... very strange.

I think the system is fine. It produces results that seem reasonable if your faith falls to such low fervor. I just think it’s kinda borked for Catholics on the numbers side such that it usually breaks. I like that Catholicism could have a bad run and end up being eaten up by a million heresies, but it’s obviously bad that it happens regularly.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't know if non-stop Asatru incursions are the problem, or if it's just bad luck with constant bad priest popups, but in three games I've never seen Catholicism come out looking like they belonged in Europe.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Anno posted:

I think the system is fine. It produces results that seem reasonable if your faith falls to such low fervor. I just think it’s kinda borked for Catholics on the numbers side such that it usually breaks. I like that Catholicism could have a bad run and end up being eaten up by a million heresies, but it’s obviously bad that it happens regularly.

Then at least a heresy popping up should give a bunch of fervor to the parent religion so it doesn't happen constantly.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
im gonna assume there is no converter for CK3 to EU4

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
also how have none of you bastards started a lets play! poo poo!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thank you, 7-year-old girl, for this message, which I was able to flip into a +15 opinion bonus across the realm

My current ruler is high learning and while the lifestyle is providing some nominal bonuses to development, I'm mainly churning out faith so I can declare war on all the minor rulers who in previous generations had been allowed to flourish with their own faiths. War has been extremely profitable, and I'm training my heir in the Martial education to continue this.

I fought a war against rebellious vassals but actually punishing them was incurring too many opinion penalties for tyranny and it was more profitable to ransom them and let them go about their business afterwards. Meanwhile I'm happy to get peasant revolts because they're easy to put down and executing their leaders allows me to gain dread for fear-based rule without anyone caring. It's actually pretty grotesque :negative:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I can appreciate how in my court filled with beautiful, herculean geniuses, everyone are just super swole

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

verbal enema posted:

also how have none of you bastards started a lets play! poo poo!

Imagine you'd want to wait for at least one patch first, especially if it breaks savegames.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Kanfy posted:

Imagine you'd want to wait for at least one patch first, especially if it breaks savegames.

drat!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What about if those of legitimate birth started a let's play

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Anno posted:

if your faith falls to such low fervor.
The problem is that "falling to a low fervor" is caused by things that do not seem plausibly to lead to it. The main causes of fervor reduction are 1) large size of the faith, and 2) successful holy wars.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Strudel Man posted:

The problem is that "falling to a low fervor" is caused by things that do not seem plausibly to lead to it. The main causes of fervor reduction are 1) large size of the faith, and 2) successful holy wars.

I think those both seem reasonable as ways of keeping the sandbox of the world active and changing things up. Isn’t the issue with Catholics more that their fervor consistently gets tanked by that Sinful Priest event?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The way great holy wars take a big chunk out of your fervor even if you win is a bit weird to me. "Oh yes, our religion is really the true one, it is perfect, our fervor is maxed, so let's bring the truth to the filthy infidels! [five years later] Wow, we sure won that war. Truly, God has proven that our beliefs are just and right by granting us this victory! Or did he? Actually now I'm not so sure anymore..."

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Sometimes you’re playing this game and your 9-year-old ruler gets targeted by two separate wars of religious conquest and a border war from the Khanate of Bulgaria all at the same time.

Game still owns though, specially because I can say things like “Khanate of Bulgaria.”

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I dont have CK3 but i wanna say thats like representing people chilling out over killing heathens after they killed a buncha heathens but that just gets me more hyped to kill heathens

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Anno posted:

I think those both seem reasonable as ways of keeping the sandbox of the world active and changing things up. Isn’t the issue with Catholics more that their fervor consistently gets tanked by that Sinful Priest event?

There really should be some way to bounce fervor back up a bit without deliberately losing holy wars though.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Anno posted:

The "sinful priest" event is not actually triggered by having a sinful priest. Rather, there's a constant 6% chance per month to fire EITHER sinful priest or virtuous priest; the fork between which of the two actually triggers is decided primarily by the number of counties following the religion. (Though it's also influenced by the actual head of faith being sinful or virtuous). Once the religion has more than 200 provinces, you can statistically expect it to bleed fervor over time.

I can see what their intentions were, but I'm not thrilled with the implementation.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 11, 2020

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Also, hyper-focusing on a single type of man-at-arms (in my case, pikemen/landsnechts) seems pretty effective. Stackwiped an army 4x my size with only 30 deaths. (The 36 appears to be an error, when I look at the detailed breakdown)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Look forward to the next 400 years consisting of your idiot viking vassals sailing down the coast of Europe, taking over a million scattered tiny counties around the Iberian peninsula and the Black Sea, and then making you defend their claims from their pissed-off neighbors.

Speaking of which, the exclave independence rule is starting to piss me off. Apparently, even with the second highest setting, Denmark and Sweden are apparently allowed to keep their single-county conquest around the Mediterranean, whereas I (playing as Italy) instantly lose control of anything built up in northern France or England. Also, the Italy that came before me had large portions of central Europe that it didn't lose…

So god only knows what's going on with that rule. At least it would be nice to have a “lost to independence” warning along with the succession partition and “lost control on vassal death” warnings. Grumblegrumblegrumble.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Tippis posted:

Speaking of which, the exclave independence rule is starting to piss me off. Apparently, even with the second highest setting, Denmark and Sweden are apparently allowed to keep their single-county conquest around the Mediterranean, whereas I (playing as Italy) instantly lose control of anything built up in northern France or England. Also, the Italy that came before me had large portions of central Europe that it didn't lose…

So god only knows what's going on with that rule. At least it would be nice to have a “lost to independence” warning along with the succession partition and “lost control on vassal death” warnings. Grumblegrumblegrumble.

What is that rule, exactly? I'm playing as Scandinavia and whenever I pan down to the continent I keep finding more tiny little exclaves I apparently control. I also constantly have like 10 peasant factions, all too weak to actually do anything, so I mostly just ignore them.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I believe the exclave rule applies to the top level independent ruler. Vassals that hold overseas stuff but have their capital still back home basically skirt the rule.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Wait, so my commander gets the crusader trait, but all the knights who were there with him don't? That's stupid. Also, I kinda think maybe you should have the option of making your character participate in combat as a knight without being commander, since what if I'm just a strong, dumb guy, and I want my military genius vassal to do the thinking for me

Anno
May 10, 2017

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The way great holy wars take a big chunk out of your fervor even if you win is a bit weird to me. "Oh yes, our religion is really the true one, it is perfect, our fervor is maxed, so let's bring the truth to the filthy infidels! [five years later] Wow, we sure won that war. Truly, God has proven that our beliefs are just and right by granting us this victory! Or did he? Actually now I'm not so sure anymore..."

I just think of it as American politics. One party does super well, gets complacent/people get mad, then they lose and people get renewed interest, back and forth.

So people win a holy war but then kinda get complacent and see the corrupt religious leaders handing out the spoils of the war for favors and political purposes and lose some faith etc.

The amount could probably be lessened a bit tho.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

What is that rule, exactly? I'm playing as Scandinavia and whenever I pan down to the continent I keep finding more tiny little exclaves I apparently control. I also constantly have like 10 peasant factions, all too weak to actually do anything, so I mostly just ignore them.

Exclave independence. With usual Paradox clarity:
  • Limited — Rulers at peace will lose disconnected land on succession unless it's part of their de jure territory or is connected to the capital by one county or a naval path.
  • Significant — Rulers at peace will lose disconnected land on succession unless it's part of their de jure territory or is connected to the capital by a naval path.
  • Total — Rulers at peace will lose disconnected land on succession unless it's connected to the capital by a naval path.
It's supposed to help against border gore and blobbing, but it really doesn't because of how it so rarely does anything for various reasons.

lurksion posted:

I believe the exclave rule applies to the top level independent ruler. Vassals that hold overseas stuff but have their capital still back home basically skirt the rule.
That would explain some of it. Maybe. I'll have to check but that would definitely be a good way of cheesing it as a top-level ruler: make sure to hand out exclaves in tiny portions and only to people who have something “back home” to tie it to. Or just be at war at all times, I guess. :black101:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

strong bird posted:

the more i play and think about it the less i like the embarkation system. its really a cop-out and it facilitates extremely bad AI behaviour like using it as dunkirk circa 867 AD and allowing really stupid wars to be level-pegging and making intercontinental alliances viable instead of rare. im sure the king of scotland would love an alliance with byzantium but it shouldnt happen because it should be prohibitively expensive in gold and men to sail 10k men from constantinople to meath. but the AI doesnt take that into consideration and theyll happily spend 4 months sailing across the known world to make the alliance happen

There is literally no reason not to have a naval combat system in game. It doesn't have to be complicated or give you lots of capabilities but it needs to reflect the fact that there were still naval battles in the middle ages instead of hand waving it away.

PepperKeibu
May 1, 2009

Whorelord posted:

It works but the tenets begin with tenet_ rather than doctrine_. You can type add_doctrine, then press space, then hit tab and the possible doctrines including tenets will be displayed

strong bird
May 12, 2009

im not certain about naval warfare being neccessary but its stupid that, lets say Venice or whatever has the same naval capacity as some tribal opm up in the frozen wastes

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

strong bird posted:

im not certain about naval warfare being neccessary but its stupid that, lets say Venice or whatever has the same naval capacity as some tribal opm up in the frozen wastes

Like the innovation system is right there to give Vikings, Italians, byzantines and arabs good boats at an age appropriate level but it's like they just want to not have to deal with naval units at all when it's obviously part of the setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Has anyone done the needful and made a mod where you can buy a dog or cat yet?