Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I guess they're hoping there's a similar niche to something like Terrace House just waiting to be plumbed, but honestly I dunno. That price point is prohibitive and most people I know think he's a Godzilla villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Ultraman looks pretty good, flipping though it. Holy cow Michael Cho has some gorgeous interior art for the backup he is doing.

Looks way better than Web of Venom Wraith.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rhyno posted:

This took me a second to process without the previous post. I was like "how do you run out of curiosity?"

Sometimes life just beats you down.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

This took me a second to process without the previous post. I was like "how do you run out of curiosity?"

You grow old.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

In South East Asia, my generation grew up with Ultraman and we all know him. Hero saves city from Kaiju weekly is something we could easily get on board!

Not sure how it'll penetrate the Western market though. Like here, it was Ultraman and Power Rangers and on a lesser scale Kamen Rider.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

lol the Ultraman comic sure is an American comic.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Today's Ms. Marvel was an extremely Spider-Man comic, and I mean that in the best way possible.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Today's Ms. Marvel was an extremely Spider-Man comic, and I mean that in the best way possible.

That was a really, really good issue, yes!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gripweed posted:

lol the Ultraman comic sure is an American comic.

Sounds cool!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, Magnificient Ms. Marvel continues to be good. I'm kind of wondering if it's and Outlawed in general are leading up to a 'My Name is Kamala Khan, and I've been Ms. Marvel since I was 15 years old' moment.

ASM #48/849...was also quite good, although definitely setting things up for the back-to-back milestone issues in October.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lurdiak posted:

Sounds cool!

They made the earth defense organization morally suspect with dark secrets, Fuji is a rookie instead of a respected equal member of the team, Shin is a hot shot with everything to prove instead of just a regular guy. And in the Ultra Q backup they replaced plucky lady reporter Yuriko with a new character who is a monster hunter with an electric sword. They made changes from the original Ultraman and the standard Ultraman format to make it feel more like a American comic.

I'm not opposed to that, but I do hope the USP's dark secrets are cleared up quickly and not actually that dark.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I hope they eat babies

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay fine, I read Guardians of the Galaxy and it's hella great. You loving win again, Al Ewing. :doom:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

Okay fine, I read Guardians of the Galaxy and it's hella great. You loving win again, Al Ewing. :doom:

Secretly hoping he does Immortal Hercules. Hulk has been the main character of Immortal Hulk for too long, Greg Pak had the right idea.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Is herc gamma powered

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

site posted:

Is herc gamma powered

The Greek gods could be...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Yvonmukluk posted:

You mean The Reckoning War? Nope! I'm guessing Slott was gambling on becoming a big name that he could make his crossover idea. I guess writing Spider-Man wasn't enough clout to make his linewide crossover happen.

I think that the Tactigon that was meant to be the other part of it hasn't ever come up again after the Initiative except as a macguffin in one random miniseries. Maybe Felicia could steal it (if you don't mind becoming Slott's mortal enemy, Vulpes).

Apparently I asked this too soon. Solicits for FF 25 imply that its the start of the Reckoning War.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Someone on my FB feed was saying that the next MCU big bad across movies should be Knull and it made me realize that there’s people out there that like Knull and now I’m ready for this world to loving end.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Black cat "relaunch" announced

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1304541399967305731?s=19

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Someone on my FB feed was saying that the next MCU big bad across movies should be Knull and it made me realize that there’s people out there that like Knull and now I’m ready for this world to loving end.

The symbiotes are the worst thing to come out of the 90s. or 80s or whatever.

It's the worst idea Marvel's had and because they're "edgy" and "cool", people need them all the time now.

It's not a Spider-Man cartoon or game or movie or anything without Venom being the main villain over everyone else and eventually the entire city is Venom.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Fortunately, since Knull was introduced in Venom, the likelyhood of him becoming an MCU villain is slim, because I think he technically comes under Sony's remit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
MCU Spider-Man films being all about Tony Stark bullshit is far worse than whatever Venom bullshit you're pretending the movies would be about. There's also 7 Spider-Man movies and exactly one of them has Venom in it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Fortunately, since Knull was introduced in Venom, the likelyhood of him becoming an MCU villain is slim, because I think he technically comes under Sony's remit.

That only increases his chance of appearing though in Venom 3 or whatever since the Venom villain pool dries up pretty quick after Carnage.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Skwirl posted:

MCU Spider-Man films being all about Tony Stark bullshit is far worse than whatever Venom bullshit you're pretending the movies would be about. There's also 7 Spider-Man movies and exactly one of them has Venom in it.

8 Spider-Man movies, counting Spider-Verse.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

8 Spider-Man movies, counting Spider-Verse.

I meant live-action, but let's count that one too because it's the best and also doesn't have any Venom bullshit in it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ironically, the Venom movie is better than any of the Spider-Man movies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Ironically, the Venom movie is better than any of the Spider-Man movies.

Spider-Man 2 (the Raimi/Toby Maguire one) and Into the Spiderverse are better than the vast majority of superhero movies in general, so I'm not gonna take your word for it, but it does make me want to watch Venom.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Skwirl posted:

Spider-Man 2 (the Raimi/Toby Maguire one) and Into the Spiderverse are better than the vast majority of superhero movies in general, so I'm not gonna take your word for it, but it does make me want to watch Venom.

Venom feels like it came from a universe where the Blade movies were the start of the superhero movie boom instead of the X-Men movies.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Venom feels like it came from a universe where the Blade movies were the start of the superhero movie boom instead of the X-Men movies.

I believe they were. I always thought the X-Men movies were pretty bad though.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Venom works because Tom Hardy is all in. He is carrying they whole movie on his shoulders. Also, it has a really goofy tone that I appreciate.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I’m glad Ms Marvel is back! I gather that Miles is Miles Morales and that there’s a one off comic called Outlawed that ties in with the current arc. And that there’s a series called Champions going since 2016 with Ms Marvel in it :eyepop: that is handling this main arc. Is it worth picking up Outlawed at least do you guys think, for the very casual fan?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I’m glad Ms Marvel is back! I gather that Miles is Miles Morales and that there’s a one off comic called Outlawed that ties in with the current arc. And that there’s a series called Champions going since 2016 with Ms Marvel in it :eyepop: that is handling this main arc. Is it worth picking up Outlawed at least do you guys think, for the very casual fan?

If you like the more recent issues of Ms. Marvel you might very well like the Miles Morales comic since they're both written by Saladin Ahmed. Pretty much everything tying into Outlawed is either by him or by the very talented Eve Ewing so if you like the characters and the premise, then yeah! It'll probably be pretty enjoyable. It bears noting that the first issue of Outlawed came out way back in March-- the whole thing has very much been delayed by COVID so it is still in the very early stages of the story.

Champions has been around through a number of recent relaunches and creative teams-- the version that ties into Outlawed hasn't started yet (I think?) so issue #1 will be coming out on October 7th barring more delays. That's also going to be by Eve Ewing though, who, again, rules, so it's a safe bet that it'll be a solid fun comic.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Is the Champions that's kicking off with Outlawed still just a mini-series? I thought there was some confusion on that point.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
There are going to be armies of kids loving that demonic angel look for Knull. I still remember when every teen had their hastily photoshopped dark angel persona advertised somewhere online.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Don't do this to us.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Is the Champions that's kicking off with Outlawed still just a mini-series? I thought there was some confusion on that point.

Is it still a mini if it ends before they get to 12 issues?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Saladin just posted this

https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/1304611778609979399?s=19

So if you're reading miles'and Kamala's books looks like you're gonna be reading outlaws anyways

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Ugh, reading orders.

On a more terrifying, but also more positive note; I think Immortal Hulk remains the best book being put out by either of the big two right now, really interested in what Ewing's cooking in the Immortal She-Hulk one-off.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dan Didio posted:

Ugh, reading orders.

On a more terrifying, but also more positive note; I think Immortal Hulk remains the best book being put out by either of the big two right now, really interested in what Ewing's cooking in the Immortal She-Hulk one-off.
I assume (if Slott's going to stick to the Reckoning War 'canon' he set up in his She-Hulk run) that one-off will be setting up for Reckoning War, since apparently She-Hulk was a player in setting it into motion.

Considering some of Slott's comments about this being a story he had an idea for since he was 12, I'm trying to think of other stories writers came up wit at that age. There's Geoff Johns making Superboy partially a clone of Luthor, of course, but apparently the beginnings of what would become Crisis on Infinite Earths were come up by Wolfman when he was 7. So, um, no pressure, Dan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

So long as it's written by Al Ewing and no one's going to put a gun to my head afterwards and force me to purchase a Slott comic, I'm fine.