Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's awfully pointy. I think I will pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ben Nevis posted:

Seems like it'd be hard to fit the glass in your rectum.
If you think getting it in is hard...

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Cyril Sneer posted:

I have no idea where to ask this, so I'll try asking here: I legitimately enjoy fortune cookies as a cookie. They're nice and light, and have just the right amount of crunch and sweetness. Does anyone know where to get bulk, unwrapped fortune cookies? I say unwrapped because I know you can get packs of them individually wrapped but that's kind of stupid/wasteful. Alternatively, is there an equivalent cookie/biscuit that is effectively the same recipe, minus the fortune cookie gimmick?

BrianBoitano posted:

I'd email/tweet at some manufacturers. Googling a bit shows nada to buy unwrapped. Seems easy enough to try baking yourself though!

This might scratch that itch, texture-wise if not flavor-wise. Bonus that sesame oil is in fortune cookies and these have sesame seeds.

So I bought those coconut rolls from Costco, and they're legitimately really good. Crispier than fortune cookies, which is not better or worse, just different. Did you ever find bulk fortune cookies or a similar-enough stand-in?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

Oh god, you've awoken long suppressed memories from my childhood.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I hope your butt is doing better now

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

litany of gulps posted:

Oh god, you've awoken long suppressed memories from my childhood.

Happy memories, I take it.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

I’ll pass, after the salsa mess.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Curious if you guys have any good dishwasher stories. Not the machinery, the people. I have tons I'd share if there is any interest. A few teaser titles:

New employee introduction at the Friday staff meeting (featuring a rap of Russel Crowe)
Plants cast shadows, Paul (prop bets with the dumbest millennial in Seattle)
Bowls in different area codes (a story about ceramics and a tradition of truth or dare in an old fine dining restaurant)
JNCO, too big to fail (featuring a fight with the ASPCA on the streets of Seattle)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

PG-13 SEX DUNGEON posted:

Curious if you guys have any good dishwasher stories. Not the machinery, the people. I have tons I'd share if there is any interest. A few teaser titles:

New employee introduction at the Friday staff meeting (featuring a rap of Russel Crowe)
Bowls in different area codes (a story about ceramics and a tradition of truth or dare in an old fine dining restaurant)
JNCO, too big to fail (featuring a fight with the ASPCA on the streets of Seattle)

Don’t have any, would love to read.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I want you all to know that forums moderator Grand Fromage just posted a meme in a more localized chat asking if people prefer ranch or ketchup on tamales. At the risk of a probe for mod sass I don't feel like this is ok. I love GF, but actions have consequences.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

post the meme

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I mean, between the two?

Ranch, no question.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Depends, is a tamale a sandwich? :grin:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Brute Squad posted:

post the meme

No.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

:colbert:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
See. My hands are clean.

GF I appreciate you have been going through Things but that's no reason to lash out like this.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

mods??

wait, poo poo

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
GF remember people love you. You don't need to put ranch on tamales.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Did I just become part of a weird marketing campaign for a horrible liquid

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't blame you for being broken by 2020, but I'm still dispappointed.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I made ranch the other night because I realized I hadn't had any in years and I had a bunch of roasted greenbeans in front of me, and you know what? It was amazing. If I had some ranch in front of me and some tamales in front of me I'd absolutely go hog wild.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Homemade ranch on an idiot salad (wedge) is a good thing. Shelf stable ranch on, for example, tamales, is not.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

This upsets me because the blue and red are not properly divided by the source of their letters

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Hawkperson posted:

This upsets me because the blue and red are not properly divided by the source of their letters

what do you have against kratchup?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

PG-13 SEX DUNGEON posted:

:justpost: in the industry thread.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The only condiment I want on tamales is mustmayostardayonnaise.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The woman coughing into the hand you know she's going to use to fish out a nugget she dropped into the ranch

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I’m responsible for making a meatless sauce for chicken parm tomorrow. It’s for a dinner with friends and we’re each cooking something. I’ve never made a meatless sauce before. Can I just follow my normal recipe without the meat? For reference:

1lb ground beef
6oz can tomato paste
6oz water
24 oz tomato purée
Head of garlic - minced
1 onion - diced
2 tsp honey
Penzey’s Italian herb seasoning
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Salt & pepper
Cayenne or gochujang
Fresh basil

Brown the beef. Yank it out. Sauté the onions for a few minutes. Throw the garlic in for a few minutes. Add the meat back. Salt and pepper. Add tomato paste, puree, water, honey, and spices. Simmer for 2 hours, more if you want a thicker sauce. Add the fresh basil at the end and mix it in there.

Sometimes I’ll do a 50/50 beef and chorizo mix which is really good and probably a sin against Italian cuisine.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

If you want to keep a similar-ish texture you can mince up a bunch of mushrooms (I like doing this a lot) or grab a package of vegetarian beef crumbles which are really not that conspicuous in stuff like sauces. Otherwise looking at the recipe I think you'd be totally fine just leaving out the meat.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How Wonderful! posted:

If you want to keep a similar-ish texture you can mince up a bunch of mushrooms (I like doing this a lot) or grab a package of vegetarian beef crumbles which are really not that conspicuous in stuff like sauces. Otherwise looking at the recipe I think you'd be totally fine just leaving out the meat.

I’ve never done the mushroom thing. Does the type matter? It sounds interesting and I’m gonna give it a try. Maybe add them when I add the garlic?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I’ve never done the mushroom thing. Does the type matter? It sounds interesting and I’m gonna give it a try. Maybe add them when I add the garlic?

Something basic and easy like cremini or plain old white mushrooms should be fine but I think shiitakes are nice for this. I probably wouldn't use anything fancier than that unless it's on hand just because it's going to be diced up and kind of overwhelmed with sauce, you just want something with a nice meaty bite and some earthy flavor. I usually add them a little bit after the garlic-- maybe a minute at most-- and then let them do their thing for about 10 minutes so they can release most of their liquid. After that I think you should be able to stick to the rest of your recipe as is. I like to dice them up pretty small but it can be great with larger chunks too-- I do this for like, vegan stroganoffs.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

How Wonderful! posted:

For chicken parm I'd just do a basic red sauce even if I wasn't going for a vegetarian sauce. Like I don't think I've ever had chicken parm with a meat sauce. Not that there's anything wrong with it or anything, just making the point that a meatless red sauce with chicken parm isn't some weird substitution or something, it's how I'd expect the dish to be made.

Like tomatoes, some olive oil/a hunk of butter, like half an onion, a handful of garlic cloves, simmer for 45 minutes or so. Adjust with salt (I'd use fish sauce if not going for vegetarian) and sugar if that's how you swing. Boom basic red sauce. Specifically the 45-minute-or-so basic red sauce. Versus, for example, the super à la minute red sauce where you just heat tomatoes in a fry pan with some garlic or w/e, just long enough so they get soft enough to smoosh with a wooden spoon, and finish with some basil chiffonade or whatever. Or an all-day Sunday gravy or whatever. None of which I'd exactly blush to serve with chicken parm.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Any recommendation for a table top 2-burner electrical stove for a kitchenette? I currently have this, and I have had to open it up multiple times to fix some of the dog-poo poo wiring. Things have now corroded to a point where I want to buy something new that will not have this issue. My only requirements are (1) electric, (2) two hot plates, (3) 900+ W per hot plate, (4) quality wiring that won't fall apart after only 2 years. I am flexible on the price.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 16, 2020

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

What are your pots and pans made of?
An induction burner will be safe/more flexible than a hot plate but you need to have pots/pans made of ferrous metals (cast iron, steel, some stainless) not aluminum.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-ic18db-double-countertop-induction-range-cooker-120v-1800w/177IC18DB.html
I have no idea if this one is any good or not but it's the cheapest "professional grade" 2 burner on that site. If you really wanna splurge they have some that are like 4 grand.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Thumposaurus posted:

What are your pots and pans made of?

Some of them certainly look like aluminum, but I am not sure. Either way, they are due for an upgrade anyway.

I took a look at the site, and I should have added another criterion: It should not be significantly bigger than 20" x 13". I would be happy with buying two individual ones as I rarely use two burners at the same time.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Stick a magnet on them if it sticks it'll work on an induction burner:science:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Thumposaurus posted:

Stick a magnet on them if it sticks it'll work on an induction burner:science:
Or buy induction and use it as an excuse to buy new pots and pans if they don't work :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Honestly, just get two separate Duxtop inductions. I’m usually not a fan of induction, but if you want that sort of power, along with the other features, a single burner induction is the way to go. Just get two, and put away the one not in use.