Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Placer county removed its state of emergency declarion and forced the resignation of the County Health Officer.https://content.govdelivery.com/att...%202020-194.pdf

I'm not super versed in legalese, but I am want to know if my interpretation of this is correct.

1) They gave authority to manage the state of emergency to the Health Director at the beginning of the year, but took it back this week.
2) The state of emergency is rescinded.
3) They added clauses about covid being a personal responsibility and each individual is responsible for their own risk.
4) CDC and statewide guidance is still in effect? (this is the main part I do not understand)

It looks to me like all this does in effect is cut off state funding that we would have received by being declared an emergency. It also appears as though it absolves business owners, event planners, schools, etc of any legal liability or responsibility to follow any of the state guidelines, and grossly undermines workers rights.

Am I correct?

eSporks fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/ZavalaA/status/1304504802303332353

quote:

BREAKING: Gov. Newsom signs law allowing inmate firefighters in California to have records expunged, clearing the way for them to become professional firefighters once they are released from prison.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

wow right on time

NOT

lmao :d2a:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
"Where did you get your firefighting experience? Can you provide me a reference?"

"uhhhhh....."

Wow it's great that we expunged them surely they'll get hired by FD's now with no discrimination

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

eSporks posted:

It looks to me like all this does in effect is cut off state funding that we would have received by being declared an emergency. It also appears as though it absolves business owners, event planners, schools, etc of any legal liability or responsibility to follow any of the state guidelines, and grossly undermines workers rights.

Am I correct?

I just read it through, all this does is suspend their local orders, which means state orders are now controlling. They don't have the authority to indemnify local schools or business owners to ignore state orders about closures and they say as much in the second to last paragraph, where they declare that all state orders remain in effect. Most of the rest of the declaration is just a historical rundown and some whining about the state government being mean to them.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I just read it through, all this does is suspend their local orders, which means state orders are now controlling. They don't have the authority to indemnify local schools or business owners to ignore state orders about closures and they say as much in the second to last paragraph, where they declare that all state orders remain in effect. Most of the rest of the declaration is just a historical rundown and some whining about the state government being mean to them.
Weird. It's being reported by most local news as them challenging Gavin Newsoms tyranny over our rights as citizens and small business owners. Or that's what most of the quotes from the council are saying.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jaxyon posted:

"Where did you get your firefighting experience? Can you provide me a reference?"

"uhhhhh....."

Wow it's great that we expunged them surely they'll get hired by FD's now with no discrimination

lol exactly

do better with your loving supermajority. guarantee these people jobs

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

"uhhhhh....."

dont worry the white ones will be hired :heritage:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

eSporks posted:

Weird. It's being reported by most local news as them challenging Gavin Newsoms tyranny over our rights as citizens and small business owners. Or that's what most of the quotes from the council are saying.

I haven't read the reporting on it, just the resolution you linked, but they have no legal authority to do any of that. That your local yahoos are grandstanding about how they're totally leading the New American Revolution on behalf of their right to get COVID isn't all that surprising, it's not like they can do anything but grandstand. I guess they could also refuse to enforce the state orders locally, though the resolution you linked doesn't mention that. And even if they did take that step it doesn't stop the state from sending its own enforcement in if it feels like fining people/businesses.

Here's where you can see what is and isn't allowed to open: https://covid19.ca.gov/safer-economy/

Edit: and even if the county board is saying it won't enforce, are they backed by mayors? City councils? The county DA? The county board isn't all powerful and there are a bunch of other elected officials who may or may not play along with this.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 11, 2020

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

eSporks posted:

It's just like the vote from the powerless Orange County Board of Education a couple of months ago saying that students should return immediately to in-class teaching, COVID is overblown, and masks and social distancing are harmful.

It meant nothing. It was just conservative performance art.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

I think the biggest impact will just be the general confusion created. I just looked up articles and they all have headlines like "Placer County Ends Public Health Order" or similar, so there are going to be a bunch of people who see that and think that everything is back to normal even though there are still several state orders that are still active.

Expect to see even more maskless idiots during your next shopping trip.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

While it looks like a good thing this has a ton of caveats on it which boil down to "if the court you got sentenced in feels like it but if not that's cool too." Source.

quote:

This bill would allow a defendant who successfully participated in the California Conservation Camp Program or a county incarcerated individual hand crew as an incarcerated individual hand crew member, and has been released from custody, to petition to withdraw their plea of guilty or plea of nolo contendere and enter a plea of not guilty. The bill would make persons convicted of specified violent felonies and sex offenses ineligible for relief. The bill would allow the court, if the defendant is eligible for relief, to dismiss the accusations or information against the defendant at the court’s discretion and in the interest of justice and would release the defendant from all penalties and disabilities resulting from the offense, except as provided. In granting this relief, the bill would require the court to order the early termination of probation, parole, or supervised release if the court determines that the defendant has not violated any of the terms or conditions of their release during the pendency of the petition.

quote:

(b) (1) The defendant may file a petition for relief with the court in the county where the defendant was sentenced. The court shall provide a copy of the petition to the secretary, or, in the case of a county incarcerated individual hand crew member, the appropriate county authority.

quote:

(c) (1) If the requirements of this section are met, the court, in its discretion and in the interest of justice, may permit the defendant to withdraw the plea of guilty or plea of nolo contendere and enter a plea of not guilty, or, if the defendant has been convicted after a plea of not guilty, the court shall set aside the verdict of guilty, and, in either case, the court shall thereupon dismiss the accusations or information against the defendant and the defendant shall thereafter be released from all penalties and disabilities resulting from the offense of which the defendant has been convicted, except as provided in Section 13555 of the Vehicle Code.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Yup, it's up to a judge, and the bill also allows time for the local DA's office to file objections. So expect most counties to have a Deputy DA assigned to challenge each and every one of these requests. And I mentioned it earlier in the thread but I'm certain there will be a strong racial element at play for who can actually get this relief.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it looks like the main thing this law will do is force the state board in charge of licensing EMTs to allow anyone who can jump through the hoop of judge approval to qualify to take the exam

apparently they otherwise make felons wait ten years, and you need your EMT license to be a firefighter

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
But hey at least we're providing access to having your record expunged! :suicide:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I think the biggest impact will just be the general confusion created. I just looked up articles and they all have headlines like "Placer County Ends Public Health Order" or similar, so there are going to be a bunch of people who see that and think that everything is back to normal even though there are still several state orders that are still active.

Expect to see even more maskless idiots during your next shopping trip.
This exactly. I caught wind of it because someone said they visited a car dealership and no one was wearing masks. The business owner said the order was lifted.
This all just looks like horrible community relations and a lovely PR stunt. The board rep in my district, Kirk Uhler, has promoted conspiracy theories on twitter. He says that makes are dangerous, cause co2 build up, and regularly encourages people not to wear them. Hes in the bluest part of the county too!
Some digging leads into a bunch of other shady poo poo about him, he took thousands in donations from real estate developers during a year he ran unopposed.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article245609865.html

quote:

Gore said that businesses and residents are still obligated to follow state COVID rules, but she said the county does not intend to enforce those rules itself, even if it receives complaints from residents about businesses. It would be up to the state, Gore said, to step in if, for instance, the state believes a restaurant or hair salon is violating state rules or guidelines for operations.
So yea, the messaging is definitely that they won't enforce anything.

The Health Advisor also resigned over this.

quote:

Sisson’s resignation comes a day after Placer County was downgraded from the most state’s most restrictive level of coronavirus monitoring to the second most restrictive, allowing some businesses and schools to reopen.
The timing of this is also odd to me, right when we move lower on the list anyways. Like they are trying to take credit for something that was already moving in that direction.

https://www.sacbee.com/community/roseville-placer/article245577155.html

quote:

“I want people to know that we care about people’s lives, but we also care about all the other effects that this pandemic has had and this shutdown has had on the lives of our community,” Gore said. “These numbers do not warrant a local health emergency. They do not. And if we don’t say something to the governor, if we don’t stand up and say this is not correct, who else can do that?”
Really, really poor messaging. The emphasis is on sticking it to Newsom and downplaying the virus.

As far the city, doubtful. Roseville is fairly large suburb right outside of Sacramento. Last week during the city council meeting the Mayor went on a rant about how the covid restrictions are too confusing and one day its this, one day its that, and how somebody in charge needs to make up their minds so the public can know whats going on. (hello, you are in charge!)
From the very beginning they have been really flippant too. Back in april they wanted to hold an outdoor concert, but not call it concert. If we call it something else, it will be ok.

UHG. This place sucks. I will say a lot of businesses have done OK, we finally put outdoor seating patios in downtown. The people suck though, lots of pickups with trump and confederate flags and mask compliance is only about 75% and tons of soccer moms are still lining up outside pilates.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 11, 2020

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

a+ moves from the Newsom social media team, i am in awe

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/1304237742256136193

Corporations and wildfires dump more CO2 into the air every quarter than all the cars in the world combined.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Sydin posted:

There are far better points I could make about how loving stupid everything about that is, but instead I'm just imagining the PG&E power infrastructure in 10 years trying to handle this gigantic influx of FEV's and :lol: good luck charging between the rolling blackouts that hit every other hour.

Every year PG&E loses another lawsuit. The judgement is put on hold pending the outcome of the following year’s lawsuit. Wall St. securitizes the payouts for pennies on the dollar. Traders create a secondary derivatives market leveraging the original judgements 100x. Governor Reid Hoffman guarantees the stability of the PG&E settlement market after it crashes following a particularly wet winter caused by the collapse of the jet steam. CalPERS reinvests the majority of its funds in the now AAA-rated settlement market. The CPUC allows PG&E to file claims directly against retirement funds, mortgages, and savings accounts to pay for safety and infrastructure fees paid out as bonuses to executives. Lyft and Uber pay their Valued Driver Affiliates in energy credits at one of the PG&E public energy facilities set up after the backlash from the first full calendar year of blackouts. Governor Logan Paul reorganizes the police national guard under CAL FIRE to carpet bomb tent cities who continue to defy the state’s ban on grilling and heating fires without appropriate carbon offsets. The California Supreme Court upholds the move as a valid response to infringement on the energy rights of Facebook and its server farms. Chief Justice Elon Musk writes the majority opinion. Enigma89 defends the decision.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

bawfuls posted:

We don’t want anyone to make money in real estate. Just like we don’t want people to make money on healthcare. It’s a basic human need, it should be decomodified.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

NWS Bay Area is a surprisingly excellent Twitter account, as I've learned in recent weeks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Did you see when Phoenix NWS was taunting them?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

No! That sounds funny, if you have the link handy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/NWSPhoenix/status/1302924959329574913

It's a thread; don't just read the one.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/JackDeTate/status/1303713606530297858

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

literally unbelievable

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/1304503083968331776

someone really ought to do something. great photo btw. so, what do you do for a living?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

so, what do you do for a living?

Construct a biography suitable for a presidential candidate

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

literally unbelievable

someone really ought to do something. great photo btw. so, what do you do for a living?

"Living" is taking a bit of license when referring to GovBot over here.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Doc Hawkins posted:

literally unbelievable

Digging the jacket, though.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I don't need to read past the first, since this hardly the first time Berkeley has been over 90F. It's stupid posturing.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

hahaha libs get ownd cali burns

*dies of 130 degree induced heat exhaustion in 5 years on a potato farm in Nebraska *

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Doc Hawkins posted:

literally unbelievable

If you're gonna just do vanity photos Newsom give us something to look at, take your shirt off

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

xcheopis posted:

I don't need to read past the first, since this hardly the first time Berkeley has been over 90F. It's stupid posturing.

96 degrees at 4am in Berkeley is not normal

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Rah! posted:

96 degrees at 4am in Berkeley is not normal

I didn't say it was.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

We need radical public solutions to forestry and wildfire prevention. If only there was a way to free up significant money at state and local levels that could be reallocated for this by defunding any agencies that are extremely unpopular and/or murderous...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

adoration for none posted:

If you're gonna just do vanity photos Newsom give us something to look at, take your shirt off

nice try, but he only takes pic-framing advice from his team of highly trained maintenance technicians

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

xcheopis posted:

I didn't say it was.

you sure did brush it off like its no big deal lol

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Rah! posted:

you sure did brush it off like its no big deal lol

No, I brushed off the idiotic posturing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

We need radical public solutions to forestry and wildfire prevention. If only there was a way to free up significant money at state and local levels that could be reallocated for this by defunding any agencies that are extremely unpopular and/or murderous...

Yeah but then how are we supposed to get slaves volunteer prisoner firefighters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

That's a super heavy military and vet district in San Diego, and the challenger lost in 2018 by a fair amount.