Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Don't forget the human element here. We can look at every Corp like a machine that just spits cash out at closing. But some families have people that just so not want to let it die and will basically ruin themselves or waste decades to fix a failure that is unfixable. Fry's would be better off turning their stores into warehousing locations and do same-day home delivery for electronics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm not smart in business but I kinda think the pandemic had little to no effect on Fry's Electronics since they already shifted to that weird consignment model and gave up on having trivial things like computers, televisions, and up to date graphics cards.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
There were lots of reasons, but the consignment model had a big part in HH Gregg’s demise. That, and completely loving up outsourcing their logistics. The software integrations between the ERP and the logistics vendor were completely broken on the vendor side, so after about two months they literally had no idea what inventory they had and where it was.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1304230948851142657

i guess they're desperately trying to hold on until the ps5 launches

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Kmart only has thirty-six stores left but they might last through Christmas

https://twitter.com/MichaelLisicky/status/1303182523321724929

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

overmind2000 posted:

Cool tweet. Lots of words and brands there.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

overmind2000 posted:

Pretty certain those are all Seritage-owned stores so 'Fast' Eddie Lampert is trying to strip the copper wiring (last few dollars) before he's got to shutter them for good.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

overmind2000 posted:

In Canada, A&P didn't die, they were acquired by Quebec supermarket chain Metro up here.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Here’s what happened with A&P they were bought by a German company Tengelmann Group. They hosed over the employees way back like the seventies and eighties. My dad was one of the non union employees that got hosed when they killed pensions.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I too like reminiscing about corporate brands cause I’m a capitalist shill.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

It's weird how one of the last remaining KMarts is in International Falls, MN of all places, but they were still open last I visited

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

My dad worked for them at the time and was one of the employees hosed. They also fired him for meeting with union reps.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The union got him his job back, but he didn’t want to work at a location where the manners were willing to illegally fire him. So my parents picked up and moved to FL. He worked as a boat painter and they lived in a small trailer. My mom got pregnant and dad needed to get health insurance so back to retail grocery he went with Kash N Karry. Publix had a delay before benefits would start. Later after my mom had my sister health problems from a job she had as an early X-ray technician started. She’s actually part of the Mayo Clinic’s study of this. After that he could never change jobs to avoid pre existing conditions for health care, so he stayed with KnK as they got bought and turned into other chains. He retired when COVID started. At retirement he was making very close to the same hourly wage that he did way back at A&P.

Is that reminiscing about brands enough for ya?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Invalid Validation posted:

Don't like thing I don't deem worthy of liking!

That's also not what a shill is.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 12, 2020

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Doctor Teeth posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1304230948851142657

i guess they're desperately trying to hold on until the ps5 launches

I'm amazed they've hung on this long between Amazon and my ability to impulse buy and download any game for a modern console or PC that catches my eye instantly while sitting on my couch in my ginch. What purpose do they serve?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

PT6A posted:

I'm amazed they've hung on this long between Amazon and my ability to impulse buy and download any game for a modern console or PC that catches my eye instantly while sitting on my couch in my ginch. What purpose do they serve?

Low income people without broadband internet

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

PT6A posted:

They arbitrage people's second-hand game sales. They are a pawn shop.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I went into a gamestop for the first time in years and was shocked at how bad the prices were. Even accounting for shipping, used copies of games on eBay and Amazon were much cheaper.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
I wonder if one of the 300 stores will be one of the two Gamestops in my local shopping center. One used to be a different store a long time ago, Electronics Boutique maybe, the other was originally a Gamestop. Now the EB store is a Gamestop and the Gamestop store is a Gamestop, so there are two Gamestops on the same strip not more than fifty yards from one another.

With luck they'll both close.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PT6A posted:

You can't download a Funko Pop

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Games? The money these days is on all those limited plushies!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Silly Burrito posted:

You can't download a Funko Pop

Well, actually...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.n3twork.funkopopblitz&hl=en_CA

https://apps.apple.com/ph/app/funko-pop-blitz/id1491812087

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

TheScott2K posted:

I went into a gamestop for the first time in years and was shocked at how bad the prices were. Even accounting for shipping, used copies of games on eBay and Amazon were much cheaper.

You are absolutely correct. I have two Friendly Local Game Stores near where I live, and both are quite a bit more than ebay/Amazon. I understand why, but given that these days nobody has any money except the ultra-rich and everyone is drowning in medical and educational debt, saving :fivecbux: or :10bux: is a big deal.

Occasionally one finds a good deal, however. I picked up a copy of Condemned 2 for PS3 at my FLGS a few months ago for $5, and I was able to get physical copies of the Infinity Engine games for Switch much cheaper at Gamestop than digitally online, believe it or not. Apparently BGI/BG2 and IWD/PS:T were only released physically in NA at Gamestop.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

FCKGW posted:

I've talked about it before but my local regional mall is loving packed at all times and always busy (it even has two movie theaters and the only Rainforest Cafe left on the west coast!) but I think it's more a case of it being built at the right place at the right time and catering more to middle/lower class shopping habits with outlet stores and discount retailers.

Here's the anchor stores:
Dave and Busters
Nordstrom Rack
Restoration Hardware
Uniqlo
Marshalls
Burlington

As someone who grew up in that area and has many fond memories of that mall and those theaters, this makes me happy. A small group of us from my junior high even had a year-end celebration at that very Rainforest Cafe. Now that it's been almost 7 months: Mall still busy? Anything changed? Also, out of curiosity, which one of those anchor stores took over the spaces that used to be the Virgin Megastore and Sam Ash Music?

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Beefeater1980 posted:

PE works like this (source: spent 10 years doing PE deals as an M&A lawyer)

- Identify a company that you can sell at as high a multiple of your purchase cost as possible in x years. When I was in the field it used to be 5-7 in theory but every firm I worked with aimed for 3 or fewer. The real easy money in the early 2010s was pre-IPO investments: companies that were already about to be sold to the public markets but needed a famous investor like a well known fund.

- lock the seller/founder in with an exclusivity contract while you rush to do due diligence (kick the tyres), sign a binding contract to buy it and get your funding in place

- borrow as much of the funding as you can get away with, so that you can do even more deals with your LPs’ (investors’) actual cash

- cut the cost of your borrowing by promising to give the lender a mortgage/charge over the shares or assets of the company you’re buying. Why yes, this does mean you are buying a large chunk of the company with its own assets.

- make a large one-off investment in the company. Typically this is used to get it ready for an IPO (eg you blow a fortune on marketing to get it from big in the state to big in the country, hire a CFO who knows the IPO market and is liked by outside investors etc).

- run the company as cheaply as possible until you can sell it for your target multiple.

The collapses occur when the money runs out too soon: the large one off investment doesn’t work, or is too small, or the market isn’t as good as they thought, or the founder takes the investment and goes on holiday to Barbados with his mistress instead, or gets overambitious and decides that instead of using the money to build 2 more factories like was agreed he’ll secretly leverage the rest of the company to build 25 and then mismanage the building so badly that the company has 25 half-built factories and no money, and all that borrowed money still needs to be paid back.

Either the PE fund goes begging to its LPs for more money or they desperately try to cut loose by scrapping the company for residual value. It’s entirely possible to kill a viable company this way. Get it right though and you can makes 1500+% profit on the total invested in like 3 years, and you get to keep 20% of that. So people keep on trying.

The bolded part is essentially what happened with Fairway (a local supermarket here in the NYC area) after they got acquired. They went from a handful of operations that seemed to be self supporting to "LETS OPEN 250000 locations because this is of course Neo Whole Foods and we can't lose!" I always figured it was more insidious than just them having eyes bigger than their stomach.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

PT6A posted:

I unironically like going in for the apparel and posters and poo poo, which they picked up from ThinkGeek. However, rather than leaning into the successful thinkgeek part of the business, they decided to rebrand ThinkGeek to gamestop and take it to retail oblivion with the rest of the business.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

OctaMurk posted:

I unironically like going in for the apparel and posters and poo poo, which they picked up from ThinkGeek. However, rather than leaning into the successful thinkgeek part of the business, they decided to rebrand ThinkGeek to gamestop and take it to retail oblivion with the rest of the business.

OMG I worked at GameStop for ~10 years from 2004 to 2014 and have so many thoughts about this. There was a level of flailing for anything and everything in the early 10s and they dropped an insane amount of money acquiring stuff and just throwing poo poo at the wall assuming one of them would stick and become the future of the company. The ThinkGeek apparel, going hard into toys/$300 pre-order only Harley Quinn statues, cloud gaming, cell phone plans, it was crazy, getting fired from there was the best thing that ever happened to me. It was just amazing how insanely loving stupid so many people actually running things at that company were, and from I'm gonna say like 2010 or so on the left hand had no idea what the right hand was doing.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Sup, getting fired from GameStop buddy. I was there from 05 to 10, and we joked back then that it would eventually turn into PointsStop, and all they’d sell were points cards. Then they bought Kongregate, and had that stupid Zork game... the writing was on the wall then that nobody in the executive levels had any clue what to do.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Retrowave Joe posted:

Sup, getting fired from GameStop buddy. I was there from 05 to 10, and we joked back then that it would eventually turn into PointsStop, and all they’d sell were points cards. Then they bought Kongregate, and had that stupid Zork game... the writing was on the wall then that nobody in the executive levels had any clue what to do.

I won a trophy for giving away so many of the sign up cards for that Zork game. I loving loved that, what was the deal there? "We bought Kogregate and are all into this free to play Zork game, people will play flash games on Kongregate and uh, that will uh somehow uh make us profit." lmao

If you go to the official Legends of Zork URL today, Google still has it come up as Legends of Zork | RPG whatever but it's a completely unrelated gaming listicle site now.

I remember they did another game called GANGSTA ZOMBIES.

Net10 was the best though, started working with this company called Net10 so that we could set up tables at the entrances of stores where Net10 phone cards would be sold. I had moved back to Brooklyn at the time so like of course any GameStop had like a zillion cell phone shops where you could get a way better deal on a phone plan. We always referred to it as Net0. :lol:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

What was Gamestop reasonings for gutting Thinkgeek?

The original website/store had some cool unique items, and it was easy to browse, and often had some nice deals. I remember buying some stuff there for my nephews or friends especially around the holidays.

But once Gamestop bought it, they completely gutted the site, added it to Gamestop.com and now it's impossible to browse it. The selection of items available is minuscule, and none of it appears to be available for shipping (in store pickup only what the gently caress?? its 2020 how do you not offer shipping :psyduck:) I mean look at this garbage. https://www.gamestop.com/toys-collectibles/thinkgeek

ThinkGeek seems like something that could have been brought up to be a really valuable brand for Gamestop. Enabling them to move from just selling video games and into becoming a Geek/nerdy popculture center. And instead they killed it.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

What was Gamestop reasonings for gutting Thinkgeek?

The original website/store had some cool unique items, and it was easy to browse, and often had some nice deals. I remember buying some stuff there for my nephews or friends especially around the holidays.

But once Gamestop bought it, they completely gutted the site, added it to Gamestop.com and now it's impossible to browse it. The selection of items available is minuscule, and none of it appears to be available for shipping (in store pickup only what the gently caress?? its 2020 how do you not offer shipping :psyduck:) I mean look at this garbage. https://www.gamestop.com/toys-collectibles/thinkgeek

ThinkGeek seems like something that could have been brought up to be a really valuable brand for Gamestop. Enabling them to move from just selling video games and into becoming a Geek/nerdy popculture center. And instead they killed it.

Managers have no real idea how to manage after decades of internalizing that cost cutting is as valuable as r and d

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

PurpleButterfly posted:

As someone who grew up in that area and has many fond memories of that mall and those theaters, this makes me happy. A small group of us from my junior high even had a year-end celebration at that very Rainforest Cafe. Now that it's been almost 7 months: Mall still busy? Anything changed? Also, out of curiosity, which one of those anchor stores took over the spaces that used to be the Virgin Megastore and Sam Ash Music?

Sam Ash is surprisingly still there. H&M took over Virgin and expanded to include both sides of the racetrack.

I haven't been there since corona hit but I don't see it slowing down anytime soon.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

FCKGW posted:

Sam Ash is surprisingly still there. H&M took over Virgin and expanded to include both sides of the racetrack.

I haven't been there since corona hit but I don't see it slowing down anytime soon.

Great! Thank you!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

Managers have no real idea how to manage after decades of internalizing that cost cutting is as valuable as r and d

This was very much the case with GameStop, they dropped a ton of $$$ acquiring or making deals with various things like I had posted earlier, then like immediately after implemented each of those things (or not at all) in the cheapest+shittiest way possible.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

This was very much the case with GameStop, they dropped a ton of $$$ acquiring or making deals with various things like I had posted earlier, then like immediately after implemented each of those things (or not at all) in the cheapest+shittiest way possible.

I hope someone eventually writes a book or long form investigative piece on the fall of GameStop. They have been flailing for so long that I think it would be a really interesting read

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

I hope someone eventually writes a book or long form investigative piece on the fall of GameStop. They have been flailing for so long that I think it would be a really interesting read

Do you think Reggie will have any effect on their decision making? I feel like either that was Reggie taking advantage of easy money on a sinking ship or he honestly thinks he can turn the whole thing around.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

As someone who doesn't game and has only been in a Gamestop once or twice in my life, isn't the slow death of Gamestop just related to the fall of physical media in general? PC games were first and console is quickly completing that transition. If you main bread and butter is reselling used media and then people are buying less media in the first place, doesn't that just spell the death of your business no matter what you do?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Yeah they were always doomed in the long run for that reason but they also made a whole host of incredibly stupid decisions along the way.

Also Reggie is no dummy, he's definitely there to cash fat checks while the company winds down.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Just need to pivot harder into the vinyl figurine marketsphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Shocked that a used games store whose used game prices are somehow worse than locally-owned stores isn't selling enough games to pay the bills