Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Euphemism treadmill. It doesn't have to start as a slur to end up as one anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I don't think that line even had the potential to mean anything transphobic when the game originally came out and tbh I still don't get how a joke internet term for crossdressers has become what it is today.
Surely you're not talking about the word that started as a 4chan "joke" (slur) towards trans people and carries the kind of implication that gets trans people murdered, because if you were talking about that word you'd look like a real rear end in a top hat.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Threep posted:

Surely you're not talking about the word that started as a 4chan "joke" (slur) towards trans people and carries the kind of implication that gets trans people murdered, because if you were talking about that word you'd look like a real rear end in a top hat.

I heard it used in reference to plain old crossdressing dudes who did an abnormally good job of it, no gender identity stuff involved, most commonly in the context of anime -- nothing more, nothing less -- for well over a decade before I ever heard it leveraged as a transphobic thing. I... have kind of a hard time believing it originated as a slur? But if so, I guess I'm just glad it's a term I rarely had cause to use.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I heard it used in reference to plain old crossdressing dudes who did an abnormally good job of it, no gender identity stuff involved, most commonly in the context of anime -- nothing more, nothing less -- for well over a decade before I ever heard it leveraged as a transphobic thing. I... have kind of a hard time believing it originated as a slur? But if so, I guess I'm just glad it's a term I rarely had cause to use.

The implication of the term is that they're deceiving straight men, which at its root is the same sentiment that fuels transphobic hate crimes and killings. That's why it's considered it a slur.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

When people on 4chan were posting pictures of female-passing pictures and revealing the genitalia with an Ackbar image macro they weren't checking in advance what those people's gender identity were, they were just being assholes

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

People keep bitching about trap so I just switched over to femboy since I was tired of arguing about it

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

I meant more like, the whole arc from FF7, or that infamous banned episode of Pokemon where James is wearing the inflatable gag, but alright, I guess I shouldn't be surprised to find there was never a great deal of consideration in its use.

In my defense I never ventured into "revealing genitalia" threads on 4chan because why the gently caress would anyone do that

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I meant more like, the whole arc from FF7, or that infamous banned episode of Pokemon where James is wearing the inflatable gag, but alright, I guess I shouldn't be surprised to find there was never a great deal of consideration in its use.

None of those things used that word at all and it's always been a bad word in that context

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

"Trap" is transphobic, stop it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

People keep bitching about trap so I just switched over to femboy since I was tired of arguing about it

imagine ppl getting annoyed with you using an offensive term and then also imagine your response to that being to argue lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

running head first into the steam thread to announce unprompted how mad i am about not getting to say trap anymore

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Alright, well. I guess I see what the stink is around the term these days.

Meanwhile I'm wondering how Disgaea 4 made it all the way to Steam release without me noticing and I still can't find anything on Steam promoting it despite that I already own two of the games from the series on there -- yet the D5 port was hyped to hell for over a year and shoved in my face constantly, including two separate limited demo releases, until the rancid fart that was its launch.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Alright, well. I guess I see what the stink is around the term these days.

Meanwhile I'm wondering how Disgaea 4 made it all the way to Steam release without me noticing and I still can't find anything on Steam promoting it despite that I already own two of the games from the series on there -- yet the D5 port was hyped to hell for over a year and shoved in my face constantly, including two separate limited demo releases, until the rancid fart that was its launch.

I feel like a broken record repeating this so often for so many games, but "it's on game pass (for PC), game pass is good". Unless of course you want to own and/or mod the game, then buy it on steam for sure.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

This version of D4 also replaces a transphobic line with "I think we've all grown a little in the last few years", which is good.

If it's the one I think it is, it's even better than that it's a really good update of the line

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

If it's the one I think it is, it's even better than that it's a really good update of the line

Yep, that's the one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Metal Wolf Chaos XD: mission 2 gives you weak weapons, no ammo refills, and I didn't know I had a melee attack like a doofus so yeah. welp.

Ultimately it really shows its age and I'm just not up for playing more of it when I could watch an LP instead. Glad I found that out finally after owning it since it dropped.

EDF 5: the insane difficulty spikes are really annoying and I wish the red frogs didn't have a weird stunlock, and I want to love this game but I really think EDF 4.1 was better balanced. sigh. anyways me and power crystals are powering through because when it's good it's GOOD.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
drat I bought Control Ultimate Edition last week and devoured it in like 5 days. Love pretty much everything about it, it's been a while since a game hit me like that.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Should I go for Disgaea 4 or 5, thread? I remember playing a few hours of 1 back in the... DS? I think?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Azran posted:

Should I go for Disgaea 4 or 5, thread? I remember playing a few hours of 1 back in the... DS? I think?

Honestly I think 5 is a better game overall, for having better systems, story (wow, actual character growth in a Disgaea game and not just saying catchphrases over and over!) and UI improvements.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I almost won a second game of Talisman then it took everything from me at the last minute and made my stupid baby who cheated and teleported to the last area then teleported back out because doing that set the earth on fire fight the King of the Dead lmao

I love you Talisman

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Stux posted:

imagine ppl getting annoyed with you using an offensive term and then also imagine your response to that being to argue lol

you are consistently the worst poster on these forums

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

stop and think why I would use those two terms stux

you waste

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

EDF 5: the insane difficulty spikes are really annoying and I wish the red frogs didn't have a weird stunlock, and I want to love this game but I really think EDF 4.1 was better balanced. sigh. anyways me and power crystals are powering through because when it's good it's GOOD.

shoot their right arms

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 12, 2020

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Is greedfall any good btw I see it's on deep discount and I've had it on my wishlist for a while.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Grapplejack posted:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

oh god what have I started

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm confused. This game is called Trap Legend, but it doesnt seem to be transphobic

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

exquisite tea posted:

In fact I'm appreciating their writing more by the minute experiencing the (deep sigh) humor in Wastelands 3.
Aha. Knew all that praise would wear off once people experienced the actual writing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm still glad I never looked into Disgaea

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm still glad I never looked into Disgaea

I never cared for the numbers tbh, when they get disgaea big it starts to get confusing

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Azran posted:

I'm seconding 5 being just better than 4.

I think there isn't much reason to go for 4 instead 5 unless you really just want the maximum amount of disgaea but 5 already has a billion of hours of stuff to do if you get into in so that isn't really needed.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I'm at a point in my life where I don't have time for most of these super long games. Thank goodness for mods and trainers/CE.

Also, if you don't care about achievements, just use the Gift Bag perks in D:OS 2. One of them gives everyone Pet Pal.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Azran posted:

I had this big list, but I'll keep it short. Get 5 because it does away with a lot of the more tedious parts of the earlier games (random stats on items in the shop, having to vote to get better/weaker shops. You can't make negative progress reincarnating at the wrong time).

Hwurmp posted:

shoot their right arms

Shoot a leg as well cause they just love running to the other half of the map the second they drop their weapons and wait until they regen.

E: Hell shoot a leg first and while they're in the process of falling go for the arm

Leal fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 12, 2020

Voltek
Apr 19, 2013
I have a craving for driving large farm machinery and see that Farming Simulator 19 is on sale. Is it worth picking up? Should I consider getting the Platinum expansion or any dlc?

I was tempted to put more hours back into My Summer Car but I think I've had my fill of suffering in the Finnish 90s.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Violently tumbling out of a nearby cabinet and breathlessly saying Farming Sim 19 is on gamepass.
edit: or was it a free epic game? there's so much to keep track of

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Violently tumbling out of a nearby cabinet and breathlessly saying Farming Sim 19 is on gamepass.
edit: or was it a free epic game? there's so much to keep track of

19 was indeed free on Epic, but Gamepass has Farming Simulator 17

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

stop and think why I would use those two terms stux

you waste

sorry just looked like u were running in to pop off about it, my apologies

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Voltek posted:

I have a craving for driving large farm machinery and see that Farming Simulator 19 is on sale. Is it worth picking up? Should I consider getting the Platinum expansion or any dlc?

I was tempted to put more hours back into My Summer Car but I think I've had my fill of suffering in the Finnish 90s.

I think it's worth it. You will probably have a pretty good idea within the 2 hour refund window.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the DLC. There are like a billion amazing mods that are free and add tons of content (and the game is really mod friendly). Most of the DLC is basically 'this other farm equipment brand's stuff'. I mean, it's fine if you care about that and are a fan of a specific company that isn't included in the base game, but for most of us who know nothing about farm equipment brands their are plenty of options in the base game + mods.

There may have been a new DLC pack or two since I last played so you could research them a little bit, but just know before you get in that the modding community for that game is basically at a Skyrim level of adding new equipment, changing gameplay features, adding new maps to play on, etc.

e: also once you get into the game I highly recommend looking up the Courseplay mod (or even just something more simple like the Follow Me mod). These mods make a huge quality of life change with your AI helpers and if used properly can make it easy to manage a very large farm with lots of equipment and fields. As fun as the game is to chill out to, eventually you will get tired of slowly driving a combine back and forth to harvest a field of wheat. The game has built-in AI helpers to take over and help, but Courseplay basically allows you to program them like robots to take care of your fields and do lots of other stuff.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 12, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Leal posted:

Shoot a leg as well cause they just love running to the other half of the map the second they drop their weapons and wait until they regen.

E: Hell shoot a leg first and while they're in the process of falling go for the arm

Or pop their heads off with Gallics and 150mms before they close to shitgun range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Incidentally, Wasteland 3 has perfectly bearable writing with occasional dips into Borderlands miasma and occasional highs (so pretty much every game), and you shouldn't let it sour you on the game as a whole. It's fun, especially on gamepass.