Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Wheeee posted:

the gently caress is worf doing on ds9

i don't remember which one exactly since most of the details of the tng movies are unable to stick in my head anymore but in Insurrection I think quark has to take worf back to the enterprise like a mom dropping her kid off at school and then leaving and it's the funniest poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/SalehaMohsin/status/1303871708634509313?p=v

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rewatching Starship Troopers; apart from everything else I'm impressed by how good the 1997 CGI looks

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Starship Troopers was a masterfully crafted movie, the cheesy daytime soap pastiche was intentional.

Much like Aliens, it holds up because it's legit good

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the boys s2 is insane hbo watchmen continues to be btfo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Wheeee posted:

Starship Troopers was a masterfully crafted movie, the cheesy daytime soap pastiche was intentional.

yeah it's not aliens good but even ignoring the satire its a pretty decent cheesy action flick

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Farm Frenzy posted:

the boys s2 is insane hbo watchmen continues to be btfo

they pretty perfectly hosed with any casual viewer who didn’t know what Stormfront’s whole deal was (as in the comics) and was assuming she’d be A Good Supe. good poo poo.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i watched that cuties movie that caused all that stir a few weeks ago and its really good! too bad it got smeared as pedo bait by a bunch of 4 chan psychos

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I mean netflix probably shouldn't have explicitly advertised it as pedo bait

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

DoubleDonut posted:

I mean netflix probably shouldn't have explicitly advertised it as pedo bait

Sorry, it's part of the culture war now so you can't complain about Netflix being garbage.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

been watching TOS for the first time in a while, the 1080p versions, it's really loving good

season 2 is so great

It was never really my thing but it is really clicking with me on this watch through, I am just loving it

easily some of the best trek

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

its sad that disney would never dream of burning him by making a donation to fight those things in america

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

in Republican circles doesn't human trafficking only refer to Q stuff now

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Rewatching Starship Troopers; apart from everything else I'm impressed by how good the 1997 CGI looks

A surprising amount of it is practical stuff. The big bug fight early on has a bunch of real puppet things and a ton of people with prostheses that whoopsie doodle off when the puppet hits them.

I vaguely remember a thing on tv about them setting a record for amputee actors or something when it came out.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

I watched a lot of discovery channel in the mid 90s and there was a show called movie magic or some poo poo that detailed a lot of effects for movies and the science behind them

there were great episodes on alien resurrection, con air, independence day and starship troopers

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dr. Killjoy posted:

they pretty perfectly hosed with any casual viewer who didn’t know what Stormfront’s whole deal was (as in the comics) and was assuming she’d be A Good Supe. good poo poo.

Based on name alone im guessing they are a nazi

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Wheeee posted:

the gently caress is worf doing on ds9

Something something Dominion something something Klingon War something something WE NEED A KLINGON EXPERT

and then he stuck around.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

worf is also the fulcrum upon which the politics of the entire klingon empire pivot

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Egg Moron posted:

worf is also the fulcrum upon which the politics of the entire klingon empire pivot

really set the stage for black panther

loving those coups to install a friendly power

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

really set the stage for black panther

loving those coups to install a friendly power

how dare you

Martok is a man of the people

and he only has one eye which is really cool

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Clip-On Fedora posted:

how dare you

Martok is a man of the people

and he only has one eye which is really cool

tbf he didn't just, like, open some stem training centers on bajor

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

tbf he didn't just, like, open some stem training centers on bajor

Okay look

C'mon

The Bajorans needed a place to learn Mok'bara

It's like the ultimate form of martial arts and yes it was Worf's idea to open them but that doesn't mean Martok's a puppet of the federation or anything

How are they supposed to move up in the world without the job skills they learn by practicing Mok'bara!?

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

took some mushrooms and my friend showed me three documentaries

Brazil -- Superb. Really got the texture of reality.

John Wick -- Terrible. Worst move I've ever seen. Took 40 minutes to establish the dead wife had a dead dog. Worse than "Transformers: Dark of the Moon".

Kung Fu Hustle -- Inspiring. Admire the villagers and their struggle.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I showed John Wick to my friend and he said the choreography in that movie was bullshit and lame and he could do it better with less money.

You know what? He was right!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Okay look

C'mon

The Bajorans needed a place to learn Mok'bara

It's like the ultimate form of martial arts and yes it was Worf's idea to open them but that doesn't mean Martok's a puppet of the federation or anything

How are they supposed to move up in the world without the job skills they learn by practicing Mok'bara!?

the funny part is that minus the job skills thing and plus "raiding and pillaging skills" and it sounds like honest klingon advice

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
favorite Klingon trait is that contrary to any notions of public hygiene they have giant vats of wine that they scoop up with goblets like a high school punch bowl minus the ladle

that and the hardcore sex

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!
i would assume anything that alcoholic is sterile

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bloodwine is super strong, too.

Hodgepodge posted:

the funny part is that minus the job skills thing and plus "raiding and pillaging skills" and it sounds like honest klingon advice

Funny thing is that it's a repeated theme that 50 years of occupation have led to a lot of Bajorans having few skills outside 'guerilla warfare' so coming in to teach them martial arts sounds like it might make the problem hilariously worse

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Egg Moron posted:

I watched a lot of discovery channel in the mid 90s and there was a show called movie magic or some poo poo that detailed a lot of effects for movies and the science behind them

there were great episodes on alien resurrection, con air, independence day and starship troopers

Yeah I used to watch the same poo poo when I was a kid it was great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TamqltQhw60

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is that it's a repeated theme that 50 years of occupation have led to a lot of Bajorans having few skills outside 'guerilla warfare' so coming in to teach them martial arts sounds like it might make the problem hilariously worse

sisko is an inferior prophet yes

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I dunno, it sounds like you're describing a group of go-getters with plenty of fire in their bellies, and training them in new methods of self-actualization can only make things better!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh poo poo, it's Akorem Laan!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Egg Moron posted:

i watched the poo poo out of that show when it was syndicated and mainly covered older movies, had a fun time learning about forced perspective and matte paintings as a youth

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i liked the part in John Wick where the cool song played while he killed some guys.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah to the point that there's at least one entire episode about how Bajorans are ready to drop everything and go back to being guerrilla fighters as soon as they face even the slightest bureaucratic hurdle from the new government.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

vyelkin posted:

Yeah to the point that there's at least one entire episode about how Bajorans are ready to drop everything and go back to being guerrilla fighters as soon as they face even the slightest bureaucratic hurdle from the new government.

To be honest, we could learn a lot from them

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

wes anderson’s room looks so wes anderson

always weird to see baumbach and gerwig together

https://twitter.com/nick_newman/status/1304837420119097347?s=21

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Wheeee posted:

It's easily the best in the trilogy. The final one leans too hard into the parody and just makes it obvious.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

duz posted:

i watched the poo poo out of that show when it was syndicated and mainly covered older movies, had a fun time learning about forced perspective and matte paintings as a youth

Yeah! The episode for escape from LA really was cool, much better than the movie

Showing Kurt Russell shooting all those baskets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

pentyne posted:

It's easily the best in the trilogy. The final one leans too hard into the parody and just makes it obvious.

While I'd personally agree that Aliens was the most entertaining film in the trilogy, Alien was a phenomenal and incredibly influential film.

Starship Troopers, much as Robocop before it, was a one-and-done IP.