Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

qirex posted:

Anyone have advice on where to start finding an IRA servicer? I have 2 401Ks from old jobs that I'd like to roll over in an IRA instead of into my current 401k [fund selection isn't great at current employer]. I have accounts at ETRADE, Fidelity and Wells now but I'm open to somewhere new if there's a clearly better option. I guess my main question is what should I look for as far as fund selection, features like auto-rebalancing, etc.? Of course all the big places refuse to publish numbers or comprehensive lists of funds on their websites because they want to get me on the phone instead. I already have non-retirement investments that I manually manage, my goal with this is to be able to stay pretty hands-off and not have to worry about it.

Unless your Fidelity account is your current 401k then Vanguard. Otherwise just do Fidelity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Anti-Hero posted:

Vanguard is the de facto answer.

Fidelity is good too if you don't want to open another account.

As for as your questions OP, for an IRA it's going to be like your non-retirement accounts. You can put your money into whatever funds you want, there are no limitations that way like you have with a 401k. One thing to consider is that if for instance you go with Fidelity, you're going to be able to get Fidelity funds without transaction fees, but Vanguard funds will have a transaction fee (unless you're buying Vanguard ETFs), and likely vice versa for a Vanguard account and Fidelity funds.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 12, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm personally using Fidelity's zero fee index funds for my investment. Since I'm relatively early in my retirement savings it's going to pretty much all be index funds and the question is just what the breakdown will be between US and International funds.

When I start having to reallocate to lower risk investments as I approach retirement I may switch to vanguard or something like it then so I don't have to constantly figure out what ratios I should have in the less risky investments.

Edit: Actually, I bet Fidelity also has a year targeted retirement fund appropriate for me as well so I might just stay there for the whole way.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 12, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Edit: Actually, I bet Fidelity also has a year targeted retirement fund appropriate for me as well so I might just stay there for the whole way.

Make sure it's their target date "index" fund. They have two and one is a flat rip off.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So how likely is it in the current landscape for 401(k)s to be able to roll in from an IRA vs. from a previous employer's 401(k)? I'm wondering if I roll on out of my previous employer's Fidelity plan now (to Vanguard where I've got everything else) or just sit on it. The plan is decent, but I'd rather consolidate since I'm not entirely sure I'm actually looking for W2 employment again (may just go right on back to consulting).

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Darkrenown posted:

A bank was offering 5% interest in 2020? :stare:

acidx posted:

Quite a few were, although there's terms and conditions. Usually a required amount of debit purchases per month and a limit to the balance that gets the higher interest rate. Worked great for my emergency fund but I have really low expenses. Still quite a few in the 2-4% range. I'd imagine with the fed not planning on raising interest rates any time soon, they're going to continue to drop though.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/high-interest-savings-to-get/

While there are a lot of banks offering high yield savings accounts like this with lots of restrictions and activity requirements, I don't want to have to actively think about my accounts on such a regular basis, and then suffer negative consequences if I don't live my life in a way that satisfies their requirements. So I looked and I compiled a list of all the no-bullshit super high yield savings accounts on there, and I've posted about the a few times before.

Essentially, I've found several high yield savings accounts paying 3-5-6% APY on FDIC-insured cash. The only real catch is each account only earns that rate on the first $1,000 or so (and about 0.5% on everything after that). One of the accounts is $1k@6%, six of them are $1k@5%, and one credit union offers both a $500@5% and a $3,000@3%, for a total of $10,500 FDIC-insured cash across 8 banks/credit unions earning ~4.5% interest, for about $480/year. Once set up, these accounts require virtually no maintenance, other than automatic ACH transfers and withdrawing the the interest on occasion. None of these accounts are restricted to any specific state or geographic region. Some people dislike the $10,500 cap and the large number of accounts, some people really like the ability to save up to $10,500 cash, FDIC-insured, that earns equity-like returns. That's up to you.

Since you linked that Doctor of Credit page, I'll post the accounts that I've found on there:

literally this big posted:

I had someone PM me about this so I'll post them here.

The various accounts are:

1. DCU Primary Savings offering 6.17% on the first $1,000. Very simple, no-maintenance account. The #1 account of the entire lot.

2. Blue FCU Accelerated Savings offering 5% on the first $1,000. Account requires a minimum $5 transferred in every month, and stops earning any interest if the balance ever goes above $1,000(:siren:), but this is fairly easy to automate away with auto-transfers. Start the month with $990 in the account, auto-transfer in $5 every month, and withdraw $5 + the expected interest by the end of the month. When fully funded, the account seems to earn between $4.13 - 4.19 in interest every month, so I set mine to withdraw $4.20 for the interest. So that's $5 in every month, and $9.20 out every month, automatically. All transfers must be scheduled through your Blue FCU account, which is a slight inconvenience.

3-7. The 'NetSpend Five', also $1,000 at 5%, times five accounts. The Financial Panther already did a great blog about these, so I'll just point you there. The pre-paid debit card thing seems a little unusual at first, but these accounts work just like any other on this list. Interest is paid quarterly. Account requires at least $1 transferred in every 90 days, and this is easy to automate away by transferring $1 in and out every month. When I was first setting these up, my credit union flagged one of my set-up transfers as suspicious, and wanted to verify that I did indeed want to transfer $1k to a newly-added Western Union account, so be aware of something like that. If you'd like to use my referral code so we both get the $20 bonus then here you go.

8. Service Credit Union Primary Savings Account offering 5% on the first $500. Simple, no maintenance account. Membership rules require you to be US military or US military family.

In total, those 8 accounts offer ~5% on $7,500 cash. There maybe other options available to you, check out this Doctor of Credit page if you're interested.

Service Credit Union’s Holiday Club savings account ($3k @ 3%).

Service’s Holiday Club account functions like an ordinary savings account with some minor exceptions. One is the $3k cap on the 3% rate (0.25% on everything above that), and another is you can opt-in to have all the funds deposited into your checking account (or have them send you a check) every year for special occasions. Seems like a good choice if you’re interested in a $3k @ 3% savings account, I'll definitely be checking it out. It also goes great with their Primary Savings ($500 @ 5%) account; together they offer $3.5k at about 3.3%.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

While there are a lot of banks offering high yield savings accounts like this with lots of restrictions and activity requirements, I don't want to have to actively think about my accounts on such a regular basis, and then suffer negative consequences if I don't live my life in a way that satisfies their requirements.

The requirements don't really bother me, but to each their own. I use the debit card for my first 10 purchases of the month at the vending machine at work. After that is satisfied, I use my 2% on everything card for everything until the 1st of the month. Admittedly I did forget to make my 10 purchases one month, but all in all it has been working for me without too much headache.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

H110Hawk posted:

Make sure it's their target date "index" fund. They have two and one is a flat rip off.

Lol I looked at the other one and it has like 7x the fees and worse performance than the index one.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

acidx posted:

The requirements don't really bother me, but to each their own. I use the debit card for my first 10 purchases of the month at the vending machine at work. After that is satisfied, I use my 2% on everything card for everything until the 1st of the month. Admittedly I did forget to make my 10 purchases one month, but all in all it has been working for me without too much headache.

I'm sure it's not too difficult to maintain, but I'd rather focus on credit card sign-up bonuses and %cashback when it comes to my spending habits, I wouldn't want my savings account's %APY relying on my spending habits too. What I like about these accounts is that the only requirements are ones that can be satisfied with automated ACH transfers. So I have a dedicated checking account with Ally, with about $100 in it, that just transfers the same $10 back and forth to various accounts every month, and I can forget about it and go on vacation indefinitely and my money will still be earning $40/month. I treat it sort of like a $10k short-term bond fund that pays 5%. I hope these rates don't drop, but these accounts have all had and maintained these rates for years now and none of them have dropped yet or show any sign of dropping, so I'm optimistic. Either way, I'll be riding the Free Money Train for as long as I can and re-investing all the cash it generates.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Darkrenown posted:

A bank was offering 5% interest in 2020? :stare:

There's always some banks/credit unions that offer crazy good deals.

I use Consumer's Credit Union Which offers over 4% APY on checking. I usually only qualify for 2-3% but it's a nice $20 to 30 check to my bank account every month.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

qirex posted:

Anyone have advice on where to start finding an IRA servicer? I have 2 401Ks from old jobs that I'd like to roll over in an IRA instead of into my current 401k [fund selection isn't great at current employer]. I have accounts at ETRADE, Fidelity and Wells now but I'm open to somewhere new if there's a clearly better option. I guess my main question is what should I look for as far as fund selection, features like auto-rebalancing, etc.? Of course all the big places refuse to publish numbers or comprehensive lists of funds on their websites because they want to get me on the phone instead. I already have non-retirement investments that I manually manage, my goal with this is to be able to stay pretty hands-off and not have to worry about it.

any reason you wouldn't use fidelity? i never minded their systems and i hate having too many accounts open cuz im scatterbrained as gently caress so

Jows
May 8, 2002

Nitrousoxide posted:

Lol I looked at the other one and it has like 7x the fees and worse performance than the index one.

I was in the other one for like a god damned decade without realizing it.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
What are the fund names? The lovely ones vs the better ones? Last I checked the target retirement fund was like a .7% ER. Or is it something worse than that?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Minty Swagger posted:

What are the fund names? The lovely ones vs the better ones? Last I checked the target retirement fund was like a .7% ER. Or is it something worse than that?

Wrong one. It has the word index in it.

Minty Swagger posted:

:same:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

H110Hawk posted:

Wrong one. It has the word index in it.

Two different responses to quoting the same post twice, I see. Get your story straight, buster!

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

MJP posted:

Personal Capital seems to have poo poo the bed with Vanguard - they've been having issues getting data from them for months now. I've basically given up hope and I'm just checking Vanguard separately.

Other than Personal Capital, is there some centralized tracker that shows long-term performance and aggregates all your accounts into one pane of glass? Doesn't have to be free.

I personally love Quicken

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Can I get a confirmation on a backdoor ira question:

We are under the limit this year

My wife has a 401(k) at her old job. Currently she isn't working

Can we roll that money into a traditional ira then convert to Roth?

I noticed that since she quit they're charging some pretty big admin fees. I'd like to keep the backdoor ira possible for future years for if we go over the limit (ex she goes back to work)

I'm mostly not sure due to it being a rollover not earned income.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
You can roll the 401k into an IRA and convert the money to Roth, but you will owe taxes on the conversion. Whether this is worth it is a very complex question.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SpelledBackwards posted:

Two different responses to quoting the same post twice, I see. Get your story straight, buster!

:argh: Look here buddy copy and paste on mobile is hard 2 margaritas deep.

Jows posted:

I was in the other one for like a god damned decade without realizing it.

Jows
May 8, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

:argh: Look here buddy copy and paste on mobile is hard 2 margaritas deep.

I just checked - apparently when I first opened my Roth with them (2008) the Index Target Date Fund didn't exist. They started that one in 2009, so I guess I have an excuse. I was helping my sister-in-law set her stuff up a few years ago when I saw the index fund one.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Kylaer posted:

You can roll the 401k into an IRA and convert the money to Roth, but you will owe taxes on the conversion. Whether this is worth it is a very complex question.

Maybe we leave it alone then.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Xguard86 posted:

Mine is working. Have to tried deleting the account and re-adding?

Multiple times, no luck. Each time Personal Capital support says they're working on it.

FateFree posted:

I had mint for years, tried personal capital, some accounts didn't work, went back to mint.

Just tried setting up a Mint account and they're having issues connecting to Vanguard, too.

Does anything work for a single pane of glass or are we just condemned to wander hopeless in a world without how Google Finance just let you put in freaking stock transactions and tracked your totals? At this point I don't mind shelling out $X per year if it works.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Seriously just keep a running spreadsheet and update it yourself each month. It takes me like half an hour of work once per month, costs nothing, and gives me quick and easy control over how i present the information to myself.

Something like this (numbers and allocations made up)

The one I actually use even has pretty colors - red for stocks (high risk), yellow for bonds (medium risk), and green for cash, and outlines around each institution / account. You do the formatting once and it's done.

If you have like hundreds of individual investments then I don't know what to tell you, you could lump them into arbitrary categories or just into stocks and bonds, you could add them up easily enough within vanguard (using their portfolio analyzer, or exporting as a spreadsheet) and then copy the sums into the categories in the spreadsheet.

If you want to update it so often that the work becomes a burden then I dunno, maybe you shouldn't be checking your long term investments on a daily or even weekly basis.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

MJP posted:

Just tried setting up a Mint account and they're having issues connecting to Vanguard, too.

My Vanguard works, best bet is to just try again the next day. These things may or may not update in real time but they will catch up eventually. The world desperately needs a unified read only API to financial institutions.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

FateFree posted:

My Vanguard works, best bet is to just try again the next day. These things may or may not update in real time but they will catch up eventually. The world desperately needs a unified read only API to financial institutions.

Mint hasn't connected to my MassMutual 401k in months. I've had to enter it as property and update it here and there just for something to show.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

Can I get a confirmation on a backdoor ira question:

We are under the limit this year

My wife has a 401(k) at her old job. Currently she isn't working

Can we roll that money into a traditional ira then convert to Roth?

I noticed that since she quit they're charging some pretty big admin fees. I'd like to keep the backdoor ira possible for future years for if we go over the limit (ex she goes back to work)

I'm mostly not sure due to it being a rollover not earned income.

thats totally fine to do. conversions don't care about you having earned income or not, only new contributions

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i am getting really disheartened lately because i have a tik tok account and snake oil salesmen have found that app now and are mixing moderately reasonable financial planning advice in with completely absurd nonsense into their videos and scamming a ton of 18-21 year old kids into buying their courses or whatever and its just really a never ending battle

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I just started a new job, and I'm working on setting up the 401k options. I could use your sanity check.
I tend to skew HEAVILY towards growth, and am pretty risk tolerant.
I like to stick around:
55% large cap
20% mid
20% small
5% international

I've chosen (note the %'s have moved slightly already as the market has moved)

My full fund options are

Does it look like I've made reasonable choices?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

the choices given the percentages you want are fine, but you are very heavy in the small/mid area

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

tbp posted:

the choices given the percentages you want are fine, but you are very heavy in the small/mid area

Too high? Think slanting more large would be wiser?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

tbp posted:

i am getting really disheartened lately because i have a tik tok account and snake oil salesmen have found that app now and are mixing moderately reasonable financial planning advice in with completely absurd nonsense into their videos and scamming a ton of 18-21 year old kids into buying their courses or whatever and its just really a never ending battle

what, this isn't sound financial advice to you?

https://twitter.com/TikTokInvestors/status/1300424544549625862

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
People say kids today got no hustle but watching them grift as well as any old genx or boomer piece of poo poo warms my heart :shobon:

Edit: Hey this isn't the doomsday econ thread. :confused:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

tbp posted:

thats totally fine to do. conversions don't care about you having earned income or not, only new contributions

As above said, we'd owe taxes after conversion right? (That in itself isn't bad but we're looking to buy a home so would defer to after the big spend to be as liquid as possible for all the money pits of home buying)

tbp posted:

Tiktok to me sounds like when they figured out how to turn coke into crack. I stay off that poo poo.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

This is the funniest thing I have watched in a while. The thought of a poke store doing a billion a year... amazing.

at $15 a bowl each store is selling 182,000 per day. seems reasonable.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

He said “probably”— no lawsuit.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Pokey

God this market can't crash soon enough.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Seriously let's just merge this and the doomsday thread at this point because I'm giving legit financial advice there and watching memestock tiktok here. :v:

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
You guys know those are characters they are playing, right? (still good)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They’re caricatures of real people though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Boola posted:

You guys know those are characters they are playing, right? (still good)