Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

Is greedfall any good btw I see it's on deep discount and I've had it on my wishlist for a while.

I just got it because of the discount and I’m quite unimpressed after completing the prologue. The combat and movement sucks and the story seems incredibly obvious about where it is going.

Spoiler based on speculation based on what some characters say a few minutes after you arrive in the main area People keep mistaking my character for one of the natives and he chuckles saying Oh no, you’re confused! but it’s obvious he is actually one of them so in the game you’ll have to choose between helping the people who kidnapped you and raised you or helping your birth people. The quest in the prologue about the cabin boy was a little preview of this dynamic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Grapplejack posted:

you are consistently the worst poster on these forums

Stux is right.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

mycot posted:

Stux is right.

Stux is talking to someone who is not cisgender, as they pointed in the post directly after the one you quoted.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Black Griffon posted:

Stux is talking to someone who is not cisgender, as they pointed in the post directly after the one you quoted.

I assumed worse tbh but I'm keeping that up because I'm not a coward :colbert:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

I am cis, I'm just gay

Like my use of the term was specifically for that bit of gay subculture but since it's become offensive I've just switched terms

We've gotten way off track tho and I'd also like to apologize to stux for snapping at him earlier

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 12, 2020

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

blue squares posted:

I just got it because of the discount and I’m quite unimpressed after completing the prologue. The combat and movement sucks and the story seems incredibly obvious about where it is going.

Spoiler based on speculation based on what some characters say a few minutes after you arrive in the main area People keep mistaking my character for one of the natives and he chuckles saying Oh no, you’re confused! but it’s obvious he is actually one of them so in the game you’ll have to choose between helping the people who kidnapped you and raised you or helping your birth people. The quest in the prologue about the cabin boy was a little preview of this dynamic

Technomancer was a similar thing and I had fun with that. I have a soft spot for that kind of janky game, but if the writing is that obvious idk.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you liked Technomancer, you should like Greedfall. It's the same formula, but a bit more refined and with fewer annoyances.

Also the plot-based speculations in that post are off, so you don't have to worry about that.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

If you liked Technomancer, you should like Greedfall. It's the same formula, but a bit more refined and with fewer annoyances.

Also the plot-based speculations in that post are off, so you don't have to worry about that.

Oh that’s good. I’ll see where it goes for a bit, then! Thanks

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I'm pleasantly surprised by Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair. I knew it was generally well-received, but it's very nicely designed and fun experience.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Grapplejack posted:

I am cis, I'm just gay

Got it, lot of crossed signals rn
(also I'm not cis so I'm gonna use my card and keep convincing myself I'm on top of the situation)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I myself am going to speculate about Dragon Age: Inquisition and predict that Solas will become your enemy at some point, because he wants to tear down the Veil so he can make love to the spirits or whatever hippie nonsense he keeps going on about.

NO SPOILERS, I'm pretty sure I'm right but I want to find out for myself

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

okay spoilers but Solas' last name is Dragonage, that's why the game is named Dragon Age. They sort of just went with it with the first two games even though he wasn't in them, that's what's so weird.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I had a dream that I was playing a new Gothic game that was as good as 2. Woke up excited to play it. :smith:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s Elex

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Quote posted:

I think Portal might be a perfect game. What felt so short in 2007 feels like the perfect length more than a decade later. Still laugh out loud funny. And now that 13 years has washed the nerd stink of joke repetition off, it's even better. The aesthetic of the Enrichment Center is masterful and the core gameplay verb is fun all the way to the end.

I'd just like to say I agree with this. Portal is as perfect as games get I think. Also I can honestly say I don't think I'll ever forget the twist and how it was slowly revealed to the player.

Also as for game length, these days if I'm going to put 50 or 60 hours into something, I'd rather put those hours into an absolutely perfectly executed 3-5 hour game over and over, rather than some middle of the road 55 hour game. Doesn't matter if it's a game that lets you use many different styles or one.

Then again I'm having a great time with the new Amalur re-release so what do I know.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Has anyone in here played Guile and Glory: Firstborn? It looks like a cool tactical rpg/Into the Breach type puzzle game and also extremely indie and that sounds like my jam.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ZearothK posted:

I had a dream that I was playing a new Gothic game that was as good as 2. Woke up excited to play it. :smith:

Fallom posted:

It’s Elex

Yeah, seriously, go look into Elex if you want to play anything similar to the crazy, janky WRPG shenanigans of Gothic 2.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Solas is actually a dragon egg.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hasn't everything about Elex been totally panned?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Been playing some Cloud Gardens, and it's a very pleasant and relaxing thing. The game is very good at creating pretty scenes even when they are made by someone like me, who lacks any sort of aptitude or vision for visual design. I always enjoy the thought of building stuff in sandboxes, manually placing little details everywhere, etc., but in practice when faced with a blank canvas I usually just... don't know what to do. I'd be an awful level designer. Here, though, you can just coat everything with pretty plants and flowers and it will always look good no matter how little imagination went into setting up the scene.

Ultimately I'll probably end up getting more out of the campaign (having already finished what's there at the moment) but I appreciate this flattering sandbox as well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Serephina posted:

It’s not really a game where the reviews are going to help, because if you’re in the super niche audience for that game you’ll love it but if you aren’t, at best you’ll just bounce off it in an hour. At worst you’ll have some sort of rage-based stroke as an enemy in the starting area completely obliterates you for the tenth time in a row.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Serephina posted:

No

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah I'm only dimly aware of Elex, but reactions have always seemed to be mixed rather than universally negative

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Serephina posted:

It's garbage and people comparing it to Gothic 1/2 are crazy. Gothic 1/2 had small handcrafted worlds, where everything was designed around a pretty specific progression path, including the routes and sightlines the player would take around the map. It was easy to see where you could go, should go, and where not. In many ways they were more action adventure than open world RPG as we understand it today. Since Gothic 3 they've been chasing that Bethesda dragon and since Gothic 3 they've sucked. It's a big map with poo poo thrown everywhere.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I loved Gothic and Gothic 2 and wanted another one of those games so I tried Elex and loved that too

There’s my review, catch the video on The Game Explainers

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Haha, sorry for the tone, I consider the decline of PB a personal tragedy :)

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

You either love Elex or you hate it, but it is a game that has a lot of genuine love and that can't be dismissed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I agree that it’s too open world for its own good but I don’t think that makes the game garbage. The progression still ends up being pretty linear.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Has anyone in here played Guile and Glory: Firstborn? It looks like a cool tactical rpg/Into the Breach type puzzle game and also extremely indie and that sounds like my jam.

This looks fantastic, thanks for the heads up. Sounds like you can’t damage enemies directly for the most part, so the goal is to creatively use the battlefield to win. Sounds a little like Into the Breach except larger combat areas with different skills and artifacts that alter how you approach the puzzle/battle.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Black Griffon posted:

You either love Elex or you hate it

I'll take hate for Elex, Alex.

Black Griffon posted:

but it is a game that has a lot of genuine love and that can't be dismissed.

True. I'm not accusing them of being lazy or cynical. I just wish they would make something smaller again.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Gettin extreme warcraft 1 vibes from it and that's maybe good and ok?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Yeah. I liked what I saw of Elex, but I could also tell it's a firmly not-for-me game that I'd struggle to play and enjoy. Which is fine! I hope those who love it find it and enjoy it.

Which is to say I still feel bad that a goon gifted Elex to me and I couldn't write a review of it, if you're reading this now: sorry pal. I did honestly try it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

greedfall was average, but risen 3 was dire, so i rank spiders above piranha bytes now

i finally beat the void dragon so i'm done with D:OS, get off my system you overrated slab of code!!!!! ugh now i have game burnout. i want to game but i am just exhausted

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s not really a game where the reviews are going to help, because if you’re in the super niche audience for that game you’ll love it but if you aren’t, at best you’ll just bounce off it in an hour. At worst you’ll have some sort of rage-based stroke as an enemy in the starting area completely obliterates you for the tenth time in a row.

And here I thought Gamers like dark-soulsian combat. Perhaps they only like it when it is the trendy thing to do. :smuggo:

I think this is the hottest take I've posted on this forum :v:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Antigravitas posted:

And here I thought Gamers like dark-soulsian combat. Perhaps they only like it when it is the trendy thing to do. :smuggo:

I think this is the hottest take I've posted on this forum :v:

Ironically I can’t do Dark Souls but hard eurojank combat like that/Gothic 2 is incredibly my poo poo.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

ZearothK posted:

Thats awful. There is nothing like Gothic 2. Piranha Bytes is dead, Elex is terrible.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Gonna throw out Outward if you want a Gothic fix. Its not the same but its in the same ballpark and its good

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah I'm only dimly aware of Elex, but reactions have always seemed to be mixed rather than universally negative

It's one of those cases where a studio just keeps making the same broken game over and over again and few people love it while the rest are just shaking their head in disgust.

I personally am in the first camp.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MMF Freeway posted:

Gonna throw out Outward if you want a Gothic fix. Its not the same but its in the same ballpark and its good

I hated Outward so much. For me it's just a game that loves to waste the player's time with its pseudo-roguelite elements. Also having a strictly limited inventory is anathem to the Gothic experience of exploring every corner and stealing everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I had fun playing Outward in co-op initially, but the quest design is awful. My buddy and I walked across two gigantic zones for an hour, one of which is a big rear end desert where we constantly had to manage thirst and heat exposure, made it to our next quest contact, only to be immediately told to go all the way back to where we came from to talk to the person who sent us in the first place. We both promptly said "gently caress it" and never picked it up again.