Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

fondly remembering going into the skeleton lords fight not knowing what to expect other than incredible death, realizing how little health they have and that i might be able to beat them on the first try, thinking i’ve done so, turning around to see like twenty skeletons about to chop my dick off as my framerate dips to 15, frantically rolling around swinging my sword in huge arcs and popping lifegems until, somehow, they’re all dead and i’m barely alive. good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The wheel skeletons in the Skeleton Lords fight were definitely there just to make players panic. I think they both stagger way more easily and do less stagger damage than in DS1, but there's something about a skeleton with a wheel sticking out of it waddling toward you that makes anyone who's played DS1 go "gently caress".

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The first time you see the wheel skeletons in the Skeleton Lord fight is definitely an "oh gently caress gently caress gently caress" moment.

I think Velstadt and Watcher/Defender are probably harder than Smelter. The thing that caught a lot of people on Smelter the first time is not knowing about ADP.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I find the "DS2 bosses are sooo easy" thing pretty weird. They're easy because we all are good at these games now and DS2 bosses largely didn't start to do stuff much different from DS1 bosses until the DLC (which was fine when DS2 was released, people didn't have 8 years of practice playing these games at that point). I had a ton of trouble with the pursuer going into DS2, but last time I played, I might have gotten hit once per fight. Same with the ruin sentinels, which were a nightmare at release but now remain engaging, but are quite easy. There are a lot of bad bosses in DS2, but there are a lot of bosses in general and most of them are pretty average by comparison with series standards. By the standards people set for DS2 bosses, there are like, 4-6 good boss fights in the whole series.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I find the "DS2 bosses are sooo easy" thing pretty weird. They're easy because we all are good at these games now and DS2 bosses largely didn't start to do stuff much different from DS1 bosses until the DLC (which was fine when DS2 was released, people didn't have 8 years of practice playing these games at that point). I had a ton of trouble with the pursuer going into DS2, but last time I played, I might have gotten hit once per fight. Same with the ruin sentinels, which were a nightmare at release but now remain engaging, but are quite easy. There are a lot of bad bosses in DS2, but there are a lot of bosses in general and most of them are pretty average by comparison with series standards. By the standards people set for DS2 bosses, there are like, 4-6 good boss fights in the whole series.

There are a lot of Pinwheel level bosses in DS2. Covetous Demon, the Rotten, Prowling Magus, Rat Authority, etc. DS2 has a higher percentage of those type bosses than DS1 had. Most of the rest in the base game are very samey (and more literal cut and paste with Pursuer and Dragonrider) so they seem easy since you beat one, you can beat the others.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Heithinn Grasida posted:

DS3 has a whole host of great boss fights but thats because theyve rarely slipped up in boss design since bloodborne

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

There are a lot of Pinwheel level bosses in DS2. Covetous Demon, the Rotten, Prowling Magus, Rat Authority, etc. DS2 has a higher percentage of those type bosses than DS1 had. Most of the rest in the base game are very samey (and more literal cut and paste with Pursuer and Dragonrider) so they seem easy since you beat one, you can beat the others.
No? That's a category so broad that half of base DS1's bosses would qualify. Heithinn Grasida's right that the initial difficulty of these games has less to do with any absolute measure and more to do with how the genre was a huge sea change from what had come before. Hell, it was a sea change from what FromSoft had done before - about a month before Demon's Souls came out they released Ninja Blade. This was a game that IIRC advertised "nonstop ninja action" and which was secretly a prequel to Metal Wolf Chaos.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It turns out every boss is "pinwheel tier" and just goes to show that pinwheels mechanics were more meta than we realized.....

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
DS3 and Bloodborne definitely have the advantage of being shorter than 2 and having a more contained scope. Heck I think DS1 might even have more bosses in the base game than DS3 or BB, which only pull ahead from the DLCs and chalice dungeons. There is a lot more evenness in the difficulty of the boss fights than in 1 and 2. That said, you'll still get a couple fights you'll probably trample, like the Witches of Hemwick or Yhorm.

Control Volume posted:

It turns out every boss is "pinwheel tier" and just goes to show that pinwheels mechanics were more meta than we realized.....

Very few bosses have themes as good as Pinwheel's therefore Pinwheel is actually top-tier boss fight few are able to match.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I find the "DS2 bosses are sooo easy" thing pretty weird.

i know this is always gonna be subjective but imho i thought ds2's variety was what kept the player on their toes since you had deceptively fast bosses like alonne/ivory king where you had to dodge on their tells or it'd be too late, average guys like pursuer/mirror knight whose actual attack frames you want dodge and no sooner or later, and delayed attack fellas like smelter/velstadt whose attacks you want to dodge very late when their wpn is actually physically passing through your body, and then mixed attack bosses like fume who alternates between slow sweeps and fast thrusts or darklurker who alternates between casting and sword attacks

by contrast in ds3, for e.g., while every boss was pretty quick and needed rapid responses making for fast back-and-forth duels, it's also the case that the player wasn't forced to adapt to new circumstances very often since bosses were almost uniformly of the fast variety; i was by no means a good ds player but on my first char in ds3 i only ended up with 3 boss deaths total since there was such a lack of variety that nothing really caught me off-guard except for friede having three phases, deacons having an instant kill if you take the battle too slowly and yhorm having a gimmick weakness you might bang up against in ignorance

if there were more battles like crystal sages or aldrich to break things up, nameless king, gael, champion gundyr, dragonslayer armour, pontiff, abyss watchers, lothric brothers, etc wouldn't all blur together for me

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I've finally hit an area I consider a frustrating bullshit unfun chore, Shrine of Amana! The mob placement there and the fact that I need to keep my camera facing the ground nonstop can gently caress right off.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

And Tyler Too! posted:

I've finally hit an area I consider a frustrating bullshit unfun chore, Shrine of Amana! The mob placement there and the fact that I need to keep my camera facing the ground nonstop can gently caress right off.

it sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I really liked Shrine of Amana. It was pretty enough that I didn't mind the enemy placement and whatnot

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

And Tyler Too! posted:

If you're willing to deal with the additional bullshit associated with having a torch out (no shield, the mostly chill enemies will aggro, you'll probably need to re-ignite it a few times), you can see the ground more easily.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I didn't mind Shrine of Amana all that much. I have had several embarrassing deaths to Demon of Song though.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Shrine of Amana first time was complete rear end and I love it for that

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The best part of sotfs was putting the mages in areas you couldn't snipe so you have to play it honest

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So I did two bad things.

1. I killed the guy who told me to put out my torch. My torch is my friend and I'll not part with it.

2. I lit the statue under the shortcut bridge and :gonk:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Don't you dare!!!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Incredibly insolent move

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

And Tyler Too! posted:

So I did two bad things.

1. I killed the guy who told me to put out my torch. My torch is my friend and I'll not part with it.

2. I lit the statue under the shortcut bridge and :gonk:

I did the same things friendo :hfive: but i killed that dude on accident because i was too jumpy and i saw him and attacked. I didn't even have my torch out.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Here's a fun fact about Blue Smelter that actually makes him pretty easy: he's vulnerable to being poisoned. Most DLC bosses in Dark Souls 2 either heavily resist poison or are outright immune. Blue Smelter's HP gets chunked by it. So you can open the fight with a few poison knives or some poop and then just play keep away as his HP ticks down. Is it a cheese? Technically. Is it funny? You bet your rear end.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Grinding Loyce Souls. Any advice? I’m doing coop, Ivory King is already down.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Good luck, i gave up after 9. If anyone has a strat that will drop more than one loyce soul every 5 attempts I'm all ears

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
If you get summoned as a phantom you have a higher chance of the knights dropping souls

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
You can kill the woman who wants the souls by shooting her and you will get her soul. You will not get her other rewards though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Thankfully, the Loyce Souls aren't required for achievement 100%. I would honestly Cheat Engine the rewards instead of grinding them out and hoping. It's a fun fight, but I can't imagine the foot traffic to the Ol' Chaos is that strong outside of the yearly community Return To Whatever events.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 12, 2020

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I believe you can farm them by yourself by joining the CoC.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
DS2 is the one I can't stand, but every year I try to replay it and get pretty far and then give up after I get to some bullshit situation because I didn't spec correctly or have the right build. It must be a good game if I keep doing this and I'm the problem right :smith:

I watched a distortion2 speedrun where he was rusty as hell and totally destroyed this game in about 3 hrs. Watching him you think the bosses were all pinwheel level.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ghostinmyshell posted:

DS2 is the one I can't stand, but every year I try to replay it and get pretty far and then give up after I get to some bullshit situation because I didn't spec correctly or have the right build. It must be a good game if I keep doing this and I'm the problem right :smith:

I watched a distortion2 speedrun where he was rusty as hell and totally destroyed this game in about 3 hrs. Watching him you think the bosses were all pinwheel level.

No you're not the problem DS2 just isn't very good.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Bogart posted:

It's a fun fight, but I can't imagine the foot traffic to the Ol' Chaos is that strong outside of the yearly community Return To Whatever events.

I once got summoned by a random person there while waiting for my boyfriend, at the highest SM tier while wearing a name-engraved ring. Not super strong evidence for lots of people playing it admittedly but still made me lol

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

ghostinmyshell posted:

DS2 is the one I can't stand, but every year I try to replay it and get pretty far and then give up after I get to some bullshit situation because I didn't spec correctly or have the right build.

What kind of builds are you trying? I played through DS2 mostly blind recently and personally found the bosses on the easy side compared to the other souls games. But I tend to play suuuuper vanilla in all souls games (upgrade agility and health and dex for my 1 weapon of choice, no magic whatsoever). I never felt like my build got in the way of anything, but I could also understand if the game was "tuned" against my boring build.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm doing STR/Faith and just crushing it. Hit poo poo with my lightning axe and toss lightning at anything my axe can't reach. My only gripe is drat near every boss weapon is Str/Dex focused. The Thorned GS is pretty good but its R2 chews durability.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

giogadi posted:

What kind of builds are you trying? I played through DS2 mostly blind recently and personally found the bosses on the easy side compared to the other souls games. But I tend to play suuuuper vanilla in all souls games (upgrade agility and health and dex for my 1 weapon of choice, no magic whatsoever). I never felt like my build got in the way of anything, but I could also understand if the game was "tuned" against my boring build.

Currently playing my first ever mage class with 50 INT and 35 ATN and first playthrough of SOFS . It's kind of fun but I found the DLC areas laugh me off as a Pinwheel boss and I still don't have a good way to deal with the Royal Rat Authority Boss.
I am slightly remembering the Shrine as thinking oh gawd I do remember that shitfest...

After my post, I decided to start a new character and follow the speedrun guide. While I am not beating all bosses in 3 hrs, I am definitely making progress and killing these bosses better. I had no idea about some of this cheese you can do...

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Rat's optional, but I bet you could get good use out of Soul Greatsword. Unfortunately, the DLC enemies have slightly overcooked elemental resistance, so you'll lose some damage if you continue with it. It's still viable, it just goes down from being really good to being an option.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

axolotl farmer posted:

Grinding Loyce Souls. Any advice? I’m doing coop, Ivory King is already down.

I was able to grind them out in co-op summons while wearing the prisoner's tatters, gold serpent's ring +2, watchdragon parma, and symbol of avarice in like 4 or 5 hours, but you might need to spread it out over a few sessions depending on how active summons are in that area. I've seen conflicting info on whether or not pumping the item drop rate increases soul drops or just crowds those out with the burnt loyce armor sets, but it didn't seem that way to me. I did get a lot of armor but I just sold it in batches at the end. Summoning or having the boss itself active does seem to be better though, because the loyce knights spawn more often and in larger numbers during the fight itself, and eventually you'll despawn them in the zone after the boss is defeated if you try to farm them that way.

If you're not getting a lot of co-op summon hits, you could ascetic to re-activate the boss, cart the NPC phantoms down there, and kill until the ivory king shows up, then throw yourself off a ledge or something. Scuttlebutt does say being a phantom summon ups the drop rate, but if you're just not getting summoned for long stretches it might be a better use of your time to summon and go in on your own.

ghostinmyshell posted:

Currently playing my first ever mage class with 50 INT and 35 ATN and first playthrough of SOFS . It's kind of fun but I found the DLC areas laugh me off as a Pinwheel boss and I still don't have a good way to deal with the Royal Rat Authority Boss.
I am slightly remembering the Shrine as thinking oh gawd I do remember that shitfest...

After my post, I decided to start a new character and follow the speedrun guide. While I am not beating all bosses in 3 hrs, I am definitely making progress and killing these bosses better. I had no idea about some of this cheese you can do...

Shrine of Amana was reworked in Scholar, at least. Just take a shield with good magic block in and you should be fine. The best magic-blocking shield isn't available until after Amana, but the Old Knight's Shield infused with magic has a respectable physical and magic block rating, if you have the stats for it. The watchdragon parma infused with magic is a nice backup if your stats are lower.

For the Royal Rat Authority, if you can't kill all the little rats with some kind of soul arrow spell before they reach you, you could try a crossbow. If you can get at least 2 down, it's not so bad taking out the last one before the fight really starts with the main boss.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

The dlc enemies are resistant to elemental spells, but not melee. A magic infused weapon with good int scaling and crystal magic weapon will still make short work of them. I don’t remember all of ds2’s weapons, but watcher greatsword is really good, and of course there’s blue flame. Dual-wielding an ice rapier with a blue flame offhand was really fun, versatile and could cut down the big lava armpit dlc guys in a single flurry before they could react.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
There are no reasonable builds that cannot handle all the bosses. You can get into a trap of not raising adaptability at all and get very few invulnerability frames. Other than that, if you have a str, dex, int or faith build, all bosses should be beatable. Some of them will require you to go up close though.

I also second powerstancing with Icicle in right hand and Blue Flame in left. Really powerful and cheap enough to allow you to get a proper magic build going. The Icicle is more powerful as a melee weapon, but powerstancing two of them results into an attack that does less than twice the damage, but consumes thrice the stamina. If you're playing a hexer, the blue flame will also serve just fine as a way to cast utility sorceries, like Repair, without cluttering up your hand slots.

The DLC bosses are rather resistant vs spells, but I could still cheese Fume Knight with Resonant Soul just fine.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Hexes are strong enough to overcome the resistance bias of the DLC areas; fire is awful, and I dunno about sorcery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Every wizard can win the DLCs by casting Dagger +6