Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Also the e-tron S is now available to configure. Interestingly it comes out a bit cheaper than an e-tron 50 S-line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
This is very interesting, take with a slight grain of salt but some things in this article about Nikola seem credible. The source does some pretty good investigations but is tainted by accusations of short and distort.

https://hindenburgresearch.com/nikola/

Highlights that I believe are true or very plausible:
Nikola's nominal running, driving prototype at launch was nonfunctional and hooked up to hotel power to run screens, hvac, lights etc.
The commercial involved pushing an unpowered prototype down a very straight hill and shooting it deceptively to make it appear that the unit was under power.
Supposedly bought high density battery company but was actually defrauded
Hydrogen cost claims are absurd / bogus
a bunch of stuff they claim to develop in house is supplier sourced and they actively cover it up and lie about it

it would be nice if someone could do something in this industry without trying to do a bunch of fraud.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is very interesting, take with a slight grain of salt but some things in this article about Nikola seem credible. The source does some pretty good investigations but is tainted by accusations of short and distort.

Nikola's nominal running, driving prototype at launch was nonfunctional and hooked up to hotel power to run screens, hvac, lights etc.
The commercial involved pushing an unpowered prototype down a very straight hill and shooting it deceptively to make it appear that the unit was under power.
a bunch of stuff they claim to develop in house is supplier sourced and they actively cover it up and lie about it

it would be nice if someone could do something in this industry without trying to do a bunch of fraud.

How are people still falling for the same "We have revolutionary battery technology that changes everything" line? At least once a month some new company is making that claim, collects a couple of millions and vanishes.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Shai-Hulud posted:

How are people still falling for the same "We have revolutionary battery technology that changes everything" line? At least once a month some new company is making that claim, collects a couple of millions and vanishes.

Or sometimes they end up as the world's most valuable automaker!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Elviscat posted:

Or sometimes they end up as the world's most valuable automaker!

Nah I mean the companies that promise stuff that's just completely unrealistic right now. Range of a thousand miles, recharged to 100% in 5 minutes, stuff like that.
For some reason they always find some suckers that pump in money.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would take that article with a huge grain of salt - its from a notorious short seller bomb thrower thats had some accusations thrown back in return that has a financial stake in seeing shares drop for the EV company in question. (Which you already pointed now Ive come back from reading so Im being redundant)

That said.... their article has some pretty damning stuff that does check out. Def worth going through to find confirmation

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Shai-Hulud posted:

Nah I mean the companies that promise stuff that's just completely unrealistic right now. Range of a thousand miles, recharged to 100% in 5 minutes, stuff like that.
Yeah, because Elon Musk doesn't make completely unrealistic claims.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Yeah, because Elon Musk doesn't make completely unrealistic claims.

He did make and sell some actual working cars though.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Classic way to 'withdraw' some money from the company

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Shai-Hulud posted:

Yeah, I know what you mean, there's companies like this in seemingly every market segment, that make wild claims, that the briefest common sense check could tell you are ludicrous, always started by some Silicon Valley tech bro, that serve as nothing but a The Producers-like sponge for dumb VC money.

The aviation industry is particularly rife with this poo poo, do some research on technology NASA's researched and said is impractical, say you're going to turn it into a drone taxi, then don't spend any more money and run off with the VC funding, because the FAA ain't gonna let you do poo poo.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

Like saying you'll have 1 million robotaxis on the road by the end of 2020 right before a capital raise.

I've very, very suspect of Nikola just from the name alone, but I listened to a podcast with the founder and he made it seem like a lot of the technology wasn't invented yet, and that they didn't do it in house but had partners like Bosch. It sounded pretty reasonable other than they seemed to have aggressive timeframes for how fast the price of hydrogen would decline. I would hope GM would due basic due diligence before partnering with someone, but they may just want to spin off their EV business into a hot "tech" stock so who knows.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GM's stake was almost certainly a stock price play and not a value play, but I'm sure that if this thing gets off the ground GM will be making money off production, and I imagine they are serving as a supplier as well since Nikola evidently can't actually build a truck.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Turo rental Model 3 update: I like the car, but yes Elon, I'd really like a HUD or something that shows me the speedometer and the turn signals. That's it. Yes, I do care.

Everything else (and probably that) has all been discussed to death, it's a nice car, loud (tires I think), nice big trunk, tiniest rear-view mirror ever (big blind spots, lol new cars), I do want more physical controls, some more than others.

The front suspension is creaking and the driver's door kept popping back open. Will inform the owner now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

GM's stake was almost certainly a stock price play and not a value play, but I'm sure that if this thing gets off the ground GM will be making money off production, and I imagine they are serving as a supplier as well since Nikola evidently can't actually build a truck.

BTW, thanks for that link you posted. Some of it Hindenburg are reaching but it's pretty clear trying to verify what they say they ain't the first to say Nikola have no working prototype and there really is plenty to be suspect about otherwise.

Should be easy for them to disprove Hindenberg and Bloomberg. Dare a Tesla truck to a drag race with a trailer on the back and then show up at the closest racetrack.

wicked duck
Sep 2, 2004

Charles posted:

Turo rental Model 3 update:

The front suspension is creaking and the driver's door kept popping back open. Will inform the owner now.

Popping open during operation?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Charles posted:

the driver's door kept popping back open. Will inform the owner now.

Not throwing doubt at you but do you mind elaborating on this? How and when was the car doing it?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ola posted:

He did make and sell some actual working cars though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Whiskey Dick posted:

Popping open during operation?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Not throwing doubt at you but do you mind elaborating on this? How and when was the car doing it?

No just when trying to shut it. Nothing scary like that. I pushed it shut and the window rolled up but then it came back out and the window rolled down. Once you kinda held it it would go. It's intermittent. I suspect the latch needs to be adjusted?

Oh yeah the Autopilot was kind of homidical. If another car came by it would steer toward it. Not sure how far it would go as I would immediately disengage it. I don't know how that one goon taped a can to their wheel, but I suspect people like that are the ones who don't really care about defined lanes anyway. I notice it's in the "advanced" software mode meaning it's basically beta software.

Apparently the creaking suspsension is a super common issue with the control arms.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Charles posted:

Oh yeah the Autopilot was kind of homidical. If another car came by it would steer toward it.

Was demolition derby mode toggled on?

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Need help from people with more experience in the full ev world . I am looking between a Kona Ultimate EV or a Model 3 Long Range. The Model 3 has some more range and AWD, however I am still very wary of the whole tech company making cars. The drivetrain warranty is pretty comparable between Hyundai and Tesla. What are the out of pocket repair costs for Teslas? I have heard the horror stories about the Model X windshields and $$$$$ but nothing else. Are all the other areas of the Tesla reliable?

Boils down to worries over car company making electric car or tech company making electric car.

Chiming in a bit late here, but I've had a Model 3 LR AWD since March 2019 and the only "problem" I've had is that the automatic wipers are terrible. It's not really a big deal, though, because I just use the voice commands to set the wiper speed manually while driving. Also, I knew that the automatic wipers were no good before I bought the car.

Other than that, the Model 3 is the best car I've ever owned.

In response to your other question: I haven't had any direct experience, but I would expect the prices on Model 3 parts and service to be higher than their Kona EV equivalents.

One final and admittedly anecdotal thought:

My wife has a 2018 Hyundai Ioniq, but:
  • We've had more minor issues with the Ioniq than the Model 3 (so far).
  • We both prefer the Model 3, so we never drive the Ioniq

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

stevewm posted:

When I bought my Volt I told the guy before we even sat down that if there where any upsells, tacked on bullshit like warranties, paint protection, etc.. I walk. It appeared to have worked, they didn't even ask. I did have to sign the paper turning down the warranty, but they didn't ask about it. The "sales guy" had no idea what the car was, why it had a plug, etc... Just your typical dealers don't know PHEVs/EVs bullshit. (This same dealer currently has a lot full of 2020 Bolts ordered without DCFC, lol) They did get kinda pissy when I introduced some stacking discounts I had at the last moment and they had to cut another 1k off the price. The finance guy said "Wouldn't you just rather have a Malibu instead?" I like to feel I won against a dealership that day...

Quite the different experience to when I bought my previous vehicle... They had tacked on about 3k in add-on junk and were not taking no for an answer until I stood up and walked out of the office. They removed it then, though in hindsight I shoulda just kept going just as a gently caress you to them. Assholes.....

To add to the point about dealer bullshit: just because an individual dealer for a given brand is no good, that doesn't necessarily mean that all of the dealers for that brand are no good.

For example: As I mentioned above, my wife owns a 2018 Hyundai Ioniq. We had an absolutely rotten experience at Hyundai of Manasses which involved the sales staff:

• Trying to change the price that had been agreed previously agreed upon on the phone.
  • Using several shady tactics to try and pressure her into a garbage auto loan, even though she was literally sitting there with a check for the car.
  • Lying straight to her face about what she was consenting to by signing a form. We only caught this because I'm one of those weird people who reads things in their entirety -- including EULAs -- before signing.

That trip ended with her yelling at the Hyundai of Manasses sales staff that she did not consent to them keeping a copy of her personal information. To this day I tell people not to shop at Hyundai of Manasses.

Anyway, several days later we found the Ioniq in the color and package that she wanted at another Hyundai dealer (Hyundai of Silver Spring, if I remember correctly). The staff there were polite, helpful, and didn't try to pull any shady bullshit. The person that we worked with even waited patiently for 30 minutes after the store closed while I read through all of the paperwork before she signed anything.

PS. Do not shop at Hyundai of Manasses.

Edit: She just told me Fitzgerald Hyndai of Rockville was the good Hyundai dealer.

MrPablo fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 11, 2020

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

Where do you live? Virginia, New York, Florida, Oregon, Colorado, Hawaii & California any of those states you are (within reason and pending certain other qualifications per state [California requires at least 5 spaces at the property, and for there to not already be a certain number of spots that can be used as EV charging) have it as law that a renter can install EVSE (generally at renters expense) without the property owner/manager being able to say no

As you mentioned, the Virginia "right to charge" law has some stipulations that an unscrupulous Homeowner's Association or condo board can use to jam up an EV owner.

For example:

quote:

§ 55.1-1962.1. Electric vehicle charging stations permitted.

C. The unit owners' association may require as a condition of approving installation of an electric vehicle charging station that the unit owner:

1. Provide detailed plans and drawings for installation of an electric vehicle charging station prepared by a licensed and registered electrical contractor or engineer familiar with the installation and core requirements of an electric vehicle charging station.

2. Comply with applicable building codes or recognized safety standards.

3. Comply with reasonable architectural standards adopted by the unit owners' association that govern the dimensions, placement, or external appearance of the electric vehicle charging station.

Source

So if you live in a condo or under a tyrannical HOA in Virginia, be sure to check with them before you spend a bunch of money to buy and install a charger.

That said, it's still a fantastic law and I'm glad that it passed.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

MrPablo posted:

As you mentioned, the Virginia "right to charge" law has some stipulations that an unscrupulous Homeowner's Association or condo board can use to jam up an EV owner.

For example:

Source

So if you live in a condo or under a tyrannical HOA in Virginia, be sure to check with them before you spend a bunch of money to buy and install a charger.

That said, it's still a fantastic law and I'm glad that it passed.

It's a good law, and it, andlaws mandating charging infrastructure are necessary for widespread EV adoption.

That being said, if I owned a house in an HOA, and they told me I couldn't install an EVSE because of the "external appearance of the electric vehicle charging station" I would probably killdozer my neighborhood.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrPablo posted:

To add to the point about dealer bullshit: just because an individual dealer for a given brand is no good, that doesn't necessarily mean that all of the dealers for that brand are no good.

For example: As I mentioned above, my wife owns a 2018 Hyundai Ioniq. We had an absolutely rotten experience at Hyundai of Manasses which involved the sales staff:

• Trying to change the price that had been agreed previously agreed upon on the phone.
  • Using several shady tactics to try and pressure her into a garbage auto loan, even though she was literally sitting there with a check for the car.
  • Lying straight to her face about what she was consenting to by signing a form. We only caught this because I'm one of those weird people who reads things in their entirety -- including EULAs -- before signing.

That trip ended with her yelling at the Hyundai of Manasses sales staff that she did not consent to them keeping a copy of her personal information. To this day I tell people not to shop at Hyundai of Manasses.

Anyway, several days later we found the Ioniq in the color and package that she wanted at another Hyundai dealer (Hyundai of Silver Spring, if I remember correctly). The staff there were polite, helpful, and didn't try to pull any shady bullshit. The person that we worked with even waited patiently for 30 minutes after the store closed while I read through all of the paperwork before she signed anything.

PS. Do not shop at Hyundai of Manasses.

Thanks for the warning, I'm gonna take it one step further and just assume that anything involving manasses stinks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

NoVA indeed loving blows

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
drat I'm glad I don't have to buy cars in the US. What I did was call a dealer that seemed to have a good deal on a car in stock. Unfortunately it sold just before I called, but he offered me to find another car in the country and ship it at no cost to them to sell to me. We found one but the dealer there had not marked it as sold even though it had already. He apologized profusely and we agreed that the only option now was to order new from factory. He sent me and offer (got another set of wheels), I asked for specific tires. He agreed. Got more for my trade-in than I bought it for. I told him I'd be paying in cash, which was fine. 3 months later I wired the money and went to pick up the car. Didn't even need to sign anything while there lol. Did a small tour of the car and checked it out and I was on my way. They didn't even inspect the trade in.
Couldn't have been any less hassle, really.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I mean, there are plenty of dealers like that in the US. There are also just a fair number that are total poo poo.

In Nikola news, Trevor Milton is tweetin up a storm. Most of it's boring poo poo but this was interesting:

https://twitter.com/nikolatrevor/status/1304071902399549441

This appears to indicate that the Badger is going to be a reskinned EV T1XX truck with a new interior. The use of "batteries" is pretty worrying - I mean GM's EV batteries are perfectly good, but isn't Nikola supposed to have some decent proprietary tech?

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Elviscat posted:

It's a good law, and it, andlaws mandating charging infrastructure are necessary for widespread EV adoption.

That being said, if I owned a house in an HOA, and they told me I couldn't install an EVSE because of the "external appearance of the electric vehicle charging station" I would probably killdozer my neighborhood.

I've seen HOAs harass people for having the wrong shade of door and for having the right shade that was "too faded", that's why I'm jaded.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

Thanks for the warning, I'm gonna take it one step further and just assume that anything involving manasses stinks.

I've been living here for 19 years and that joke is still hilarious to me :).

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

MrPablo posted:

I've seen HOAs harass people for having the wrong shade of door and for having the right shade that was "too faded", that's why I'm jaded.

:killdozer:

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Charles posted:

No just when trying to shut it. Nothing scary like that. I pushed it shut and the window rolled up but then it came back out and the window rolled down. Once you kinda held it it would go. It's intermittent. I suspect the latch needs to be adjusted?

Oh yeah the Autopilot was kind of homidical. If another car came by it would steer toward it. Not sure how far it would go as I would immediately disengage it. I don't know how that one goon taped a can to their wheel, but I suspect people like that are the ones who don't really care about defined lanes anyway. I notice it's in the "advanced" software mode meaning it's basically beta software.

Apparently the creaking suspsension is a super common issue with the control arms.

When I rented a model 3 I initially thought I wouldn't like the autopilot but it turned out to be a great driver aid, with the main caveat being it needs clear lane markings. Whenever the lane markings were missing/hosed, the autopilot seemed to not understand what was going on. Although it never tried to kill me, it did result in the car doing a few emergency brakings because it thought we were going to have a head on collision with the incoming traffic on a two lane country road with no middle lane divider/marker.

It worked superbly on highways though and IMO it was exactly where I wanted it to work (dense traffic, decent speeds with autopilot meant I could relax a little and not constantly adjust speed/distance to front car/etc).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

When I rented a model 3 I initially thought I wouldn't like the autopilot but it turned out to be a great driver aid, with the main caveat being it needs clear lane markings. Whenever the lane markings were missing/hosed, the autopilot seemed to not understand what was going on. Although it never tried to kill me, it did result in the car doing a few emergency brakings because it thought we were going to have a head on collision with the incoming traffic on a two lane country road with no middle lane divider/marker.

It worked superbly on highways though and IMO it was exactly where I wanted it to work (dense traffic, decent speeds with autopilot meant I could relax a little and not constantly adjust speed/distance to front car/etc).

I think it was the beta version or something. I definitely wanted it to work for me so I'm bummed about that, but obviously it works for most people. Regular cruise also wanted to stop at green lights, flashing yellow lights, and stop signs on roads that aren't quite perpendicular, etc.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Charles posted:

I think it was the beta version or something. I definitely wanted it to work for me so I'm bummed about that, but obviously it works for most people. Regular cruise also wanted to stop at green lights, flashing yellow lights, and stop signs on roads that aren't quite perpendicular, etc.

Yeah they probably had traffic light/stop sign control on.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

it did result in the car doing a few emergency brakings because it thought we were going to have a head on collision with the incoming traffic on a two lane country road with no middle lane divider/marker

This should not be acceptable.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Godholio posted:

I've had this happen to some degree or other on every ACC system I've tried.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Godholio posted:

I'd rather have the car stop than accelerate into an obstacle. The system clearly uses lane markings to work and since there was no middle lane markings and only side lines, it thought it was a one way (a bit wide I guess) road. It did do a good job of hugging the right line marker so it would just barrel down the middle of the road.

In any case it's not an "autopilot" as some people would think but rather like a plane "autopilot" you need to stay alert at the controls and be ready to take over at any time to correct errors that the computer makes.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tesla offering free charging to everyone on one (or all?) German supercharger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqUa1-M1Cf8

Politics? Elon and VW sitting in a tree?

e: this was apparently a bug

Ola fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 12, 2020

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Speaking of EVs being in places where they shouldn't, I just had to take my Model 3 to a gas station to fill up the lawnmower can. I thought I was done with this poo poo.

Tesla should make some electric yard tools or just batteries for someone else's tools, make it so you can charge their batteries normally off a 120v outlet or "supercharge" them with a wall connector / mobile adapter from a car through a 240v outlet to get a 5 minute recharge when you need it. Use batteries that are tuned for higher charge/discharge rates and lifespan in exchange for lower capacity.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Ryobi 40v stuff is very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Your lawn has to be pretty big for a cabled one not to work. The cable nuisance is more than made up for by low weight, low price and zero maintenance.