Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Usual reminder that Samsung SSDs are a ripoff now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Kingnothing posted:

The 7 is the new version of the R6. It has a lot of the same features and is kinda similar (and pretty nice) but the 7 beats it in almost every place.

If you’re considering the 7, I’d use this site to find a retailer in your country that may have it.

https://www.fractal-design.com/where-to-buy/?fwp_continent=europe

Ok, unless someone can come up with something even better (*) (= the same but with a mesh front), I'm getting this one. Now just to decide if I want it in all black or black with a white interior.

*: requirements:
-stellar cable management and psu/everything access
-at least 4+1 front usb ports
-good airflow but also quiet (heh)

edit: I know quite a lot of the pc shops over here but that link made me check it again and it seems I can get it 20 buckeroos cheaper, sweet

uXs fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 12, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

uXs posted:

Ok, unless someone can come up with something even better (*) (= the same but with a mesh front), I'm getting this one. Now just to decide if I want it in all black or black with a white interior.

*: requirements:
-stellar cable management and psu/everything access
-at least 4+1 front usb ports
-good airflow but also quiet (heh)

Noise from airflow cases is all about a) using top quality fans and b) making sure the default fan curves in the BIOS don't jack up the speed to 100% every time the CPU goes from 49C to 50C.

Amd making sure you use a quiet CPU cooler, and ideally a less noisy video card (which is often the loudest thing anyway.)

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Well I'm back with another build for another cousin, this one on the opposite end of the price spectrum!

How does this look for a 1440p possible VR 3080 gaming build with a 2k budget? Is the 3700x worth a $100 premium on the 3600? Is that a good SSD/WiFi card/Case fans? Is there a cost effective well built motherboard with WiFi onboard so I can skip the addon card? I do have access to a microcenter if needed, although this list hasn't used that.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA Swordfish 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($164.99 @ B&H)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer TX3000E PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax Wi-Fi Adapter ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140 mm Fan ($14.95 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140 mm Fan ($14.95 @ Amazon)
Custom: 3080 ($699.00)
Total: $1799.81

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 12, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alchenar posted:

Keith - what if I wanted to keep the top enclosed *for aesthetics*.

If the tubes of the arctic are long enough that the rad can be installed with the tubes on the bottom, it's ok.

Slightly worse than the top position in terms of airflow for both the rad and case since the fans have to fight both the front panel and the radiator stack, but this is minor. The real issue may be the tube length, since the 7 is a pretty long case. Here's a video about why rad orientation is a big deal.

(edit: but if aesthetics are the reason, have you seen the 7's vented top? they switch out the entire top plate, not just remove a panel. it's real nice.)

Grumpwagon posted:

Is there a cost effective well built motherboard with WiFi onboard so I can skip the addon card?

Either of these:
MSI B550M Mortar Wifi (newegg link, model not being indexed on PCPP)
Asus TUF B550M-PLUS
(the asus is also available @ newegg, PCPP seems to be failing to grab newegg again.)

Pretty much zero cost savings but both have a intel AX wifi.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 12, 2020

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

So I decided to spring for this beast, and it's SO HUGE but also SO QUIET compared to the stock AMD cooler. I'm in love, my machine is now perfect.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

WampaLord posted:

So I decided to spring for this beast, and it's SO HUGE but also SO QUIET compared to the stock AMD cooler. I'm in love, my machine is now perfect.

If you think that's huge, check out the D15S lol

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sean10mm posted:

*types noctua d15s into google image search*

:eyepop:

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

sean10mm posted:

I'd love to see a build with the D15S and a 3090. I'm not sure you could even see the motherboard underneath the two of them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wonder if we'll see people using the 3090 with an external gpu box since it's so HUEG

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

literally this big posted:

What's a good mid-sized motherboard to build off of? Total PC budget is around $1500.

Quoting myself from last page for mobo advice. I'm going with a mid-size Meshify C case.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

WampaLord posted:

My wife has a DH15 and her motherboard not only lets me control the CPU fan speed based on a temperature graph but it also lets you control how long it takes to actually react.

If you have something like “fan delay” I recommend increasing to something like 20 seconds for complete ultra silence outside of a sustained heavy load.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Noctua really need to announce when the D15S Black is coming out

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Quoting myself from last page for mobo advice. I'm going with a mid-size Meshify C case.

B550 MATX mobos are great choices this cycle.
MSI B550M Bazooka
Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro
Main difference between these two: MSI has an internal usb-c header, gigabyte has it on the back port. On a meshify C that might make the gigabyte more attractive.

And if you need wifi:

Klyith posted:

Either of these:
MSI B550M Mortar Wifi (newegg link, model not being indexed on PCPP)
Asus TUF B550M-PLUS
(the asus is also available @ newegg, PCPP seems to be failing to grab newegg again.)

On MATX, the B550 is "what you see is what you get" and you generally have no concerns about using X slot turns off Y sata ports etc.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Grumpwagon posted:

I do have access to a microcenter if needed, although this list hasn't used that.

Check microcenter motherboard/cpu bundles and the other stuff. Save you a few bucks there, maybe.

I basically bought my entire build from microcenter, going to pick it up today, except for the PSU and cooler.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Klyith posted:

B550 MATX mobos are great choices this cycle.
MSI B550M Bazooka
Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro
Main difference between these two: MSI has an internal usb-c header, gigabyte has it on the back port. On a meshify C that might make the gigabyte more attractive.

And if you need wifi:
Thanks. Do the wifi motherboards offer equal or superior performance to USB wifi adapters? Built-in wifi capability sounds useful.

quote:

On MATX, the B550 is "what you see is what you get" and you generally have no concerns about using X slot turns off Y sata ports etc.
I have no idea what this means, so it's a good thing I should generally have no concerns about it.

literally this big fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 12, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

tl,dr is that the B550 chipset doesn't have the bandwidth to run every port/slot that fits on an ATX board at once, and every brand has different ways of working around it. For instance, some boards turn off 2 SATA ports if you use the second M.2 slot.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Thanks. Do the wifi motherboards offer equal or superior performance to USB wifi adapters? Built-in wifi capability sounds useful.
Both of those wifi mobos have the new intel chip for wifi AX (also now known as wifi 6). I don't think any AX USB adapters exist yet. So they have better performance than a USB, but that only matters if your wifi router on the other end is equally good.

If wifi is the way your desktop connects to a network, I'd recommend the mobos with good built-in. If you use ethernet and wifi is just a maybe or covering bases, you can get PCIe wifi cards for about the same money as the mobo upgrade costs.

I have no idea what this means, so it's a good thing I should generally have no concerns about it.
The B550 chipset has a limited number of PCIe lanes and other IO. On the full ATX boards this tends to mean that the board has more slots than it can really support, so stuff shares resources and you need to consult the manual to figure it out. So yes, for the average person it's good to not need to care about that.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
That's good to know, thanks.

Is there any difference between the MSI and the ASUS, or should I go with whichever is cheaper?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 12, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Is there any difference between the MSI and the ASUS, or should I go with whichever is cheaper?

They're almost identical in most every important respect, so I'd go with cheaper. Unless you care about RGB, in which case asus I think is the way to go.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
I think I prefer the Asus TUF so I'll go with that. The last computer I built had an i5, I don't know much about AMD. Is there any difference between AMD and Intel? Should I wait for their new thingy before I buy a CPU?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Question on ram as my ram knowledge is limited.

This is the ram I have

G.Skill 2x 8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38

I have an i7-7700K so no Ryzen ram needs.

I want to get 2 more 8GB sticks. Should I kill myself looking for the exact same dimms, or can I get any old 3200 sticks?

Or should I do what my gut tells me and get something from G.skill with similar timings but not exactly the same thing (like a cheap ripjaws)?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

I think I prefer the Asus TUF so I'll go with that. The last computer I built had an i5, I don't know much about AMD. Is there any difference between AMD and Intel? Should I wait for their new thingy before I buy a CPU?

I think AMD is the go-to for CPUs in most gaming PC use cases.
If your PC upgrade isn't urgent, it should be worthwhile to wait for the Zen 3 launch on October 8 at least to have a basis for comparison.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

AMD has a solid advantage in performance and price/performance for almost all applications and prices, go AMD.

Their new CPUs don't get official reveal until october, and likely won't be available until november or later. There have been *very* few leaks or quality info about it, so we don't know whether it's a big deal or not. For example ryzen 2000->3000 was nice, but not so good that a 2600 was worth upgrading to a 3600.

If you don't need a new PC now, waiting is almost always good.

Kingnothing posted:

I have an i7-7700K so no Ryzen ram needs.

I want to get 2 more 8GB sticks. Should I kill myself looking for the exact same dimms, or can I get any old 3200 sticks?

Or should I do what my gut tells me and get something from G.skill with similar timings but not exactly the same thing (like a cheap ripjaws)?

Same timings should be enough, especially on intel which doesn't have the whole picky eater thing that ryzen does.

Mokhu
Mar 3, 2004

NCAA Hopesman Winner 2008
Fallen Rib
Hi,

I'm looking at possibly upgrading my computer and not sure where to start. I already have a good rig but I'm wanting to upgrade my CPU and video card to be able to play on a 4k / 144hz monitor. I mostly play WoW but also want to be able to play AAA games comfortably on ultra settings, as well as multitasking, possibly streaming, etc.

Current specs:
i7 6700k
32GB ram
Z170-A motherboard
Nvidia 1080ti
M.2 SSD
eVGA 850 G2 PSU

I'm considering buying one of the 3000 series nvidia cards and upgrading my CPU to a newer Intel or Ryzen. I'm wondering what CPU would match up the best here. To my knowledge, WoW runs on one core or something like this, so I think the CPU speed matters more than core count, however it sounds like Ryzen is great for modern games. I think Ryzen seems really cool but I'm not sure what I'm losing or missing out on by not sticking with Intel. Does Ryzen play well with Nvidia cards? Is upgrading to a top of the line CPU from 2020 worthwhile compared to the i7-6700k (in gaming, and multimedia, etc?)

My budget for motherboard + CPU is ideally under $600.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Klyith posted:

AMD has a solid advantage in performance and price/performance for almost all applications and prices, go AMD.

Their new CPUs don't get official reveal until october, and likely won't be available until november or later. There have been *very* few leaks or quality info about it, so we don't know whether it's a big deal or not. For example ryzen 2000->3000 was nice, but not so good that a 2600 was worth upgrading to a 3600.

Same timings should be enough, especially on intel which doesn't have the whole picky eater thing that ryzen does.

Should I bother getting the same manufacturer or just focus on timings?

And can I get something at a higher speed and be ok?

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 12, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kingnothing posted:

Should I bother getting the same manufacturer or just focus on timings?

nah just same speed & timings.
edit: higher speed is no benefit, it has to run at the speed of the slowest module. but it also doesn't hurt anything.

Mokhu posted:

I'm considering buying one of the 3000 series nvidia cards and upgrading my CPU to a newer Intel or Ryzen. I'm wondering what CPU would match up the best here. To my knowledge, WoW runs on one core or something like this, so I think the CPU speed matters more than core count, however it sounds like Ryzen is great for modern games.
WoW also runs on drat near anything and afaik isn't gonna benefit much from CPU upgrades over what you've got.

Mokhu posted:

I think Ryzen seems really cool but I'm not sure what I'm losing or missing out on by not sticking with Intel.
A lot of waste heat :v:
But seriously one big thing I can think of is Intel Quicksync, which does video encode on the integrated GPU in the CPU even when you're using a real GPU. It's free real estate, and nice for streamers. But a 3700X has enough cores to encode streams straight on the CPU.

Mokhu posted:

Does Ryzen play well with Nvidia cards?
Yes, there are no CPU vs GPU issues in a modern PC (and was generally more of a mobo chipset issue than strictly the CPU back in the day)

Mokhu posted:

Is upgrading to a top of the line CPU from 2020 worthwhile compared to the i7-6700k (in gaming, and multimedia, etc?)
eh. the real problem CPU from that generation is the 6600K, which is 4 cores and no hyperthreading. There are AAA games that dislike that now. But yours isn't a major problem for any games, especially at 4k -- that's still a heavy GPU load.

If I was you I'd be looking ahead to DDR5 platforms next year (or maybe 2022 depending on how bad corona has thrown schedules off). I think a 6700K will hold on until then. (OTOH if you're into selling stuff on ebay, 6700Ks still go for decent money.)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Klyith posted:

edit: higher speed is no benefit, it has to run at the speed of the slowest module. but it also doesn't hurt anything.

Thanks that’s super helpful.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Klyith posted:

That's good to know, AMD it is. I'd like to build this computer ASAP so I don't want to wait too long on the CPU. Would a Ryzen 5 3600 be a good hold-over with the potential to upgrade later, or should I go with a Ryzen 7? I usually don't rush to buy next-gen tech.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
I've been running into some temperature issues with my build, and I'm pretty sure it's the cooler, but I'd like to do a new case at the same time to make sure it's not airflow related. It seems like cases and a nice cpu cooler will be relatively future proof anyways, so when I do rebuild in another however long, I can use the things I buy now. I've currently got a 15 year old Antec 500 case, so it's well past time.

The cpu is either a 4690k or a 4790k using a Hyper212 evo cooler with front/back fans, but temperatures are really uneven under load. A 25C difference under load from core 0 to core 3, regardless of if the i5 is in there or the i7, or the heatsink tower is rotated 180 degrees. Hence why I want a new heatsink. It looks like the Noctua's are quiet, cool well and even the larger ones won't hit taller RAM?

For a case, a mid or full tower is fine, I've got the space. I wouldn't mind something quieter, but that's not a huge impact. GPU is a GTX 970, but room for something longer would be good. Right now I have a fan controller and a non-functional dvd drive in my 5.25" slots, so if the case comes with a fan controller, I can just get an external drive for the times I need to burn a CD/DVD and then it's no longer an issue. I see most cases don't come with one these days. I've got 3 3.5" HDs and one 2.5" SSD, but I assume most cases can handle that many drives? I don't care about RGB. My main goal is for it to be quiet when it should be, and cool everything enough that I never have to worry about it when I'm gaming.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Deceptor101 posted:

I've been running into some temperature issues with my build, and I'm pretty sure it's the cooler, but I'd like to do a new case at the same time to make sure it's not airflow related. It seems like cases and a nice cpu cooler will be relatively future proof anyways, so when I do rebuild in another however long, I can use the things I buy now. I've currently got a 15 year old Antec 500 case, so it's well past time.

The cpu is either a 4690k or a 4790k using a Hyper212 evo cooler with front/back fans, but temperatures are really uneven under load. A 25C difference under load from core 0 to core 3, regardless of if the i5 is in there or the i7, or the heatsink tower is rotated 180 degrees. Hence why I want a new heatsink. It looks like the Noctua's are quiet, cool well and even the larger ones won't hit taller RAM?

For a case, a mid or full tower is fine, I've got the space. I wouldn't mind something quieter, but that's not a huge impact. GPU is a GTX 970, but room for something longer would be good. Right now I have a fan controller and a non-functional dvd drive in my 5.25" slots, so if the case comes with a fan controller, I can just get an external drive for the times I need to burn a CD/DVD and then it's no longer an issue. I see most cases don't come with one these days. I've got 3 3.5" HDs and one 2.5" SSD, but I assume most cases can handle that many drives? I don't care about RGB. My main goal is for it to be quiet when it should be, and cool everything enough that I never have to worry about it when I'm gaming.

Fractals meshify seems to fit nearly all your asks.

Noise is going to be way more about fans/cpu cooler than case though. For the most part more case noise reduction = less case airflow

Mokhu
Mar 3, 2004

NCAA Hopesman Winner 2008
Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

WoW also runs on drat near anything and afaik isn't gonna benefit much from CPU upgrades over what you've got.

A lot of waste heat :v:
But seriously one big thing I can think of is Intel Quicksync, which does video encode on the integrated GPU in the CPU even when you're using a real GPU. It's free real estate, and nice for streamers. But a 3700X has enough cores to encode streams straight on the CPU.

Yes, there are no CPU vs GPU issues in a modern PC (and was generally more of a mobo chipset issue than strictly the CPU back in the day)

eh. the real problem CPU from that generation is the 6600K, which is 4 cores and no hyperthreading. There are AAA games that dislike that now. But yours isn't a major problem for any games, especially at 4k -- that's still a heavy GPU load.

If I was you I'd be looking ahead to DDR5 platforms next year (or maybe 2022 depending on how bad corona has thrown schedules off). I think a 6700K will hold on until then. (OTOH if you're into selling stuff on ebay, 6700Ks still go for decent money.)

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I should wait for DDR5. Do you know if DDR5 means new RAM and mobo only, or will it mean next gen CPUs needed for them as well?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Klyith posted:

While details are sparse, leakers say that AMD internally believes they have a real chance at robbing Intel of the CPU crown before Willowcove hits the shelves in Q1 2021. It is probably worth waiting to see what is going on before buying a 3000 series chip unless you are super desperate.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Will B550 mobos need a BIOS update to run the October AMD reveals? Because if so that's yet another BIOS clusterfuck.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Mu Zeta posted:

Will B550 mobos need a BIOS update to run the October AMD reveals? Because if so that's yet another BIOS clusterfuck.

Yes

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Wouldn’t be new chipset season without a bunch of bricked motherboards.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Kingnothing posted:

Wouldn’t be new chipset season without a bunch of bricked motherboards.

Not if you buy a board with BIOS flashback, which even cheaper B550 boards usually have.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Will the 570 boards be any better? Also can somebody explain the difference vs. 550 boards? If I'm waiting for the new CPUs, does this choice really matter for me? All I could see is there are some compatibility differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
My GPU died, and having a 7 year old CPU and 250GB SSD it's time to upgrade. I saw the mention of PowerSpec in the OP and I'm within 30 minutes of a MicroCenter.

I'm strongly considering the PowerSpec G507. On sale for $850, it would cost me more to build this piece by piece, and each component is a significant upgrade over what I have now. I spend way too much time gaming, but I'm not trying to play MS FlightSim 2020 on max graphics or anything so I see no reason not to buy this, but I would love to hear what y'all think.