Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
USOs (unidentified submersible objects) have been around for centuries, and millenia if the stories of people coming from the sea to give ancient civilizations knowledge of technology that would lead to civilization have any merit to them.

The Japanese legend of Utsuro-bune is probably the most famous example. The short version is some Japanese fishermen in 1803 saw a weird, dome like ship come out from below the water's surface, a smokin' hot 20-something pink skinned redheaded woman popped out who spoke a weird language and carried a strange box she wouldn't allow anyone to touch, then got back into her craft and left forever.

As for UFOs themselves, modern thought is abandoning the nuts and bolts idea that they are physical craft and into aliens being trans dimensional beings that use them and greys, who themselves are a sort of biological, grown rather than built type of robot used to further explore our dimension without putting the actual aliens at risk. After all, would you hop into a dimensional portal for a research mission if there was significant risk to life and limb when you could send in a drone instead?

This transdimensional approach helps explain how loving weird sightings can be, with reports of groups of people seeing something anomalous, but no two people seeing the same thing. poo poo's wild like that.

As for why UFOs actually appear in the first place rather than using their clearly advanced (if they are artificial) technology to remain hidden, the best response I've heard is that UFOs have lights because they want to be seen. It's a sort of interdimensional wave hello from the car window greeting.

This then spirals into stuff like the fair folk, djinn, and angel reports all being aliens, which is a fun but batshit rabbit hole that loops us back around to UFOs are demons.

For the record, I don't believe in any of this beyond "unidentified objects are seen flying through the sky." I see this all as our modern American folklore, and from that perspective, it's a whole lot of fun. I was part of a group sighting of a UFO on a night time nature walk on a 6th grade field trip to the New Jersey pine barrens, but that's the only time I've ever personally experienced something paranormal. I'm inclined to believe people when they say they saw or experienced something paranormal, but not necessarily that their description is exactly what happened, giving room to the thought that subjective experience is not objective truth.

I just loving love this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

dont even get me started on the prevalence of drone submarines

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Underwater stuff became way more interesting once I got past the very lame depictions of Atlantis that exist in the popular imagination. In about 2010 or so when there was that weirdly mapped "canyon" section off the north coast of Africa was neat before it was disavowed as pecularities in the surveying data.

However, around this time there was another article I saw that talked about how an underwater "city" for lack of a better word that was discovered and going to be explored further, and there was even a picture of what they were diving into. It was this very angular looking point perhaps between two buildings with sharp geometry, kind of ziggurat-esque that made me think a little bit of Yonaguni (it wasn't that). I was never able to find the article or the picture again.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
There are quite a few sunken cities, but they were built by known civilizations and flooded because of environmental issues. Get a weather disaster based enough to reroute a river or plain old rising sea levels and entire cities can be lost underwater.

Offhand, there are sunken cities in the Mediterranean and of the coast of Japan that are unmistakably artificial, because while natural ocean forces can explain some weirdness like sharp angles cut into rock, statuary is a bit beyond nature's ability.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

diving yonaguni and submerged rapa nui sculpture are at the top of my reasons i wish i had money list

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Wonder who's doing this

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-09-04/reports-of-man-flying-in-jet-pack-near-lax-prompt-fbi-call-for-publics-help

“Tower, American 1997. We just passed a guy in a jet pack,” an American Airlines pilot stated in a call to the control tower.

“American 1997, OK, thank you. Were they off to your left or right side?” the tower operator answered.

“Off the left side, maybe 300 yards or so, about our altitude,” the pilot responded.

“We just saw the guy pass us by in the jet pack,” a pilot from Jet Blue Airways then told the tower, which warned another pilot about the sighting.

“Only in L.A.,” the air traffic controller said at one point.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i hope its our approximation of the airship flap

flying humanoid sightings have been steady on the rise since the early 00's

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Apropos of nothing and totally unrelated to the thread but I love your avatar.

My parents used to have that album (Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene) and I loved staring at that illustration. Also listening to it on acid about a decade later.

But thanks for the nostalgia/calllback.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Saucer Hovers posted:

diving yonaguni and submerged rapa nui sculpture are at the top of my reasons i wish i had money list

I can believe that Yonaguni is man made, but people ascribe a hell of a lot of woo to it.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
"Elon Musk is running drugs" is a good conspiracy theory with a surprising amount of evidence behind it

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I was reminded recently that there are menstruation denialists, the only ones i have seen are some variety of Hotep, but there may be others.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I was reminded recently that there are menstruation denialists, the only ones i have seen are some variety of Hotep, but there may be others.

Sounds like a quick fix.

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick
n/m doesn't fit the thread

Flater has issued a correction as of 02:30 on Sep 11, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Flater posted:

n/m doesn't fit the thread

silenced but why :tinfoil:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

what's the CPSAM line on the Princes in the tower

actively murdered by King Richard, or just left to die from neglect?

Or one of the pretenders actually was one of them that escaped

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Atrocious Joe posted:

what's the CPSAM line on the Princes in the tower

actively murdered by King Richard, or just left to die from neglect?

Or one of the pretenders actually was one of them that escaped

im sticking with tudor propaganda but that's catholic bias

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

we all agree that the towers were brought down via controlled demolition, correct? good

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

two riders were approaching
and the wind begins to howl

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Google Butt posted:

we all agree that the towers were brought down via controlled demolition, correct? good

lol

e: content

TrueAnon is continuing their deep dive into 9/11 this week with a fourth installment; the previous three have been reupped and they are a very good listen for understanding the background of everything that transpired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8bV9iNStEI

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 14:29 on Sep 11, 2020

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I’m actually a little intrigued by this guy’s completely novel parapolitics by way of urbanist analysis but he’s also got a crank factor, writing style, and penchant for baseless speculation that I loving love

https://twitter.com/TheFamilyAliens/status/1270521761545826305?s=20

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I’m actually a little intrigued by this guy’s completely novel parapolitics by way of urbanist analysis but he’s also got a crank factor, writing style, and penchant for baseless speculation that I loving love

https://twitter.com/TheFamilyAliens/status/1270521761545826305?s=20

I need this explained to me

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

he’s positing that the urban planning in his home city of Santa Rosa, CA is specifically lain out so that criminal syndicates can pursue any number of rackets protected from public eye, and the thread gets pretty out there a dozen posts in

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
all additions and sheds are torture dungeons

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Years back home my younger brother built a completely lovely second story “clubhouse” over our family’s shed (which we also used as a chicken coop) out of plywood and 2x4s that he mainly used to smoke weed in with his friends.

Later we tore the loving monstrosity down, demolished the concrete base (it was an approved part of the property when my parents bought it) and I dunno the dogs poo poo there now or something.

Guess we covered up evidence of an animal sacrifice and drug den!

Go through that neighborhood and you’ll find plenty of working class Latino families who’ve added (probably permitless) extensions to maximize their living space and also to make money renting out to tenants. A lot of the time they’re done better than Groverhouse!

Anyways I still think that twitterdude’s developed an interesting dynamic of research opportunities, even if he’s clearly not applying any other modicum of sense to it.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
cul de sacs and other suburban road plans are indeed nefarious but mostly because they destroy the geographical congruity of a neighbourhood. they’re designed to keep people who might not “belong” there from even passing through or interacting with a different community. you don’t truly need to gate a community to remove that community as one that includes people who don’t physically live there

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ChrisRulon/status/665609508698370048?s=19
https://twitter.com/ChrisRulon/status/665634882874380289?s=19
https://twitter.com/ChrisRulon/status/774728475873804288?s=19

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

The "Conspiracy Narrative" has been weaponised by Conservative Capitalists in their fight against collectivism, since at least the end of WW1. Here's a big long piece that puts it all in context, which helps explain how Covid has become such an effective funnel for Qanon:

https://medium.com/@daniel.ed.morrison/the-greatest-trick-the-devil-ever-pulled-10caa1cec8b5

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

quote:

20 years ago the internet comes along, and 5 years ago we get ubiquitous smart phones.

:shuckyes:

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Idk about the other poo poo but clothing is like the only thing that routinely survives plane crashes completely intact lol

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

i dunno what kind of bloodless freak would come across a cool bandanna and then just hand that off to the feds?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WEH posted:

Idk about the other poo poo but clothing is like the only thing that routinely survives plane crashes completely intact lol

same for passports

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What are meat stations/trading (do NOT research)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always love it when Truthers build a tower out of boxes or some other material and then shove their hand into it and say "No way those buildings collapsed from planes hitting it", because a stack of desk organizers is the same as an actual building.

Especially a building with unique construction like the WTC that had the weight carried by the outside and the central pillar.

The only conspiracy theory I can believe about 9/11 is the Bush admin had all the info that it was going to happen but refused to act on it due to them being really dumb and the fact the US is so deep into Saudi Arabia that even when some of its citizens are engaged in activities against the US on US soil, they didn't want to upset them.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

WEH posted:

- the flight recorders were recovered
- they aren't indestructible, nor would any crash investigator ever say so
- nobody involved in the flight 93 investigation ever claimed that the plane vaporized (because it didn't)

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Like if i was doing a shadowy government plot to make people think a building got knocked down by terrorists with an airplane, it seems like the easiest way would be to knock down a building with an airplane. I don't know why so many 9/11 conspiracies focus on arguing against the "what" instead of the "who" or "why".

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

- the flight recorders were recovered
- they aren't indestructible, nor would any crash investigator ever say so
- nobody involved in the flight 93 investigation ever claimed that the plane vaporized (because it didn't)

I know lol I just figured those bits were obviously wrong enough to warrant no comment. I just didn't feel like figuring out whatever the poo poo about the passports was.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Agnostalgia posted:

Like if i was doing a shadowy government plot to make people think a building got knocked down by terrorists with an airplane, it seems like the easiest way would be to knock down a building with an airplane. I don't know why so many 9/11 conspiracies focus on arguing against the "what" instead of the "who" or "why".

We call those "ops."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
"There were some things found in the rubble of the 9/11 attacks that weren't completely melted, entirely burnt to cinders or composed entirely of ash, yet many of those items were not heat resistant. In fact, some of them were quite flammable, made from paper and cloth, yet several were miraculously intact.

Explain that, you so called "scientists"."

- Signed, Someone Smart

E:

What's that? There were 20,000 people there in the surrounding area who weren't in the buildings? Nevertheless....

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Agnostalgia posted:

well then you've got to make an actual plane, which is kind of hard since they're fake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Dr. Killjoy posted:

i dunno what kind of bloodless freak would come across a cool bandanna and then just hand that off to the feds?
For real.