Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Randler posted:

Bei Einhaltung der Abstandsregelung und der Pflicht zur Erarbeitung eines Hygienekonzepts bei mehr als 50 Teilnehmern.

yes if you have more than 50 people in your house you need to write their names down lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Randler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcRxOF_Jp0M

Here is a video tutorial on adjust mask fit. You might want to ask your local shaman/wise-woman for assistance, though, in case you cannot summon up the magickal power necessary to master the ancient and occult ritual called "a knot".

My mother got me a couple masks made from black cloth and they just fit perfectly from the go. Either my head is absolute average size, or my mother got them from a witch.

Which I wouldn't put behind her, really.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I give it about a day before Cingulate breaks out the calipers and starts measuring everyone's skulls, noses, and chins.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

I give it about a day before Cingulate breaks out the calipers and starts measuring everyone's skulls, noses, and chins.
I drat well hope the makers of PPE are doing exactly that (or rather the 21st century equivalents).

InappropriateJazz
Aug 3, 2013

We were for 2 weeks at the French Riviera this year (before it was declared Risikogebiet) and I'm not surprised by anything anymore.

The French government had decreed "masks must be worn in open spaces" and tourists and natives ignored it in large parts. And in the plane, they made multiple announcements saying "stay seated until all rows in front of you are cleared and keep your distance", and like the idiots they are, plenty of people jumped to get their luggage and block the Mittelgang as soon as the plane hit the ground.

Humanity was a mistake.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Oh god, that's one of my biggest pet peeves when flying. What's up with people jumping out of their seats and grabbing their luggage only to stand five to ten minutes in the corridor till they can disembark?
Same when checking in. As soon as check in opens most people jump up only to stand in line for ten to twenty minutes... You don't get a prize or better seats for being first, you dummies.

:psyduck:

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 12, 2020

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

When checking in and boarding the plane you do get better seats/more space for luggage. At least on flights without reserved seats.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Spaß-Fakt: my phone tries to autocorrect Mithaldu to "Motherfucker", sooo...you're all welcome, I guess?
:newlol:

Thread's been pretty good and posted many things i was glad to see. :)

I wanna comment on this though, because this keeps getting said, but it's strictly false:

pidan posted:

Most people who get it recover with no problems,

even most olds who get it survive, it's not the black death.

[...] and anyone who goes out to meet people should think "is this worth it?"
"recover with no problem", we don't know this. Covid is a blood vessel and heart disease. The lung stuff is only a very bad side effect. And it damages blood vessels across the entire body and in every organ with diagnosable effects, from the brain to the gonads. How many people are affected by this severely? How many have long term damage? We don't know, the virus is too new.

As for "most people recover", mathematically yes. Practically the overall mortality rate has been: 3.2% total, 1.9% for the past few days, 0.8% for Germany in the past few days. This looks very good if you consider only death. It still means that 1-3 people out of every 100 who get it die of something preventable, and frankly: They die in an utterly horrific way, by drowning on their own lungs.

And lastly, yeah, people should consider if it's "worth it", but most people make the mistake and ask "is the risk to myself worth it?", when they should be asking "is it worth risking infecting others?"

One one person's carelessness causes 100 downstream infections, then congratulations, very likely you've caused the death of one person and inflicted permanent organ damage on at least some more, and severe organ damage on quite a few more. I know you enjoy shitposting, but:

You lie.

I never said "put them in 14 days quarantine". I said "let it sit a week", which was what the scientists i was reading were recommending at the time, and on which i accepted correction when being shown further data.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 12, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Tarquinn posted:

As soon as check in opens most people jump up only to stand in line for ten to twenty minutes... You don't get a prize or better seats for being first, you dummies.

On a crowded flight, it's all about having space for your overhead luggage.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Honestly i think most people just jump up because waiting around in the seat makes them more tense for a vague fear of missing out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tarquinn posted:

Oh god, that's one of my biggest pet peeves when flying. What's up with people jumping out of their seats and grabbing their luggage only to stand five to ten minutes in the corridor till they can disembark?

Because their reptile brains take over and they need to be first first first!

Tarquinn posted:

Same when checking in. As soon as check in opens most people jump up only to stand in line for ten to twenty minutes... You don't get a prize or better seats for being first, you dummies.

Even with assigned seats, there is limited space for hand luggage in a lot of planes.

If you want to make sure you can have your bag with you, it's best to be early in line, otherwise you'll have to check in your hand luggage. I hate doing that, because I bring things that I don't want damaged and I don't want other people to have access to outside of my presence.

My hand luggage has all the stuff that I absolutely don't want to lose. The checked luggage is fine if I don't have it for a couple of days, but that requires me to be sure I have the hand luggage on me.

Similarly, my girlfriend hates having to check in her hand luggage, because she keeps medication and stuff in there.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

I can be guilty of that when travelling per train. Done that a few times when travelling to a city, I notice obvious houses and the announcement we will arrive soon... and then end up standing there for another ten minutes realising I may have been a little too excited/worried :v:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I did that when I saw the first houses coming in on LA. Still was a hour or so before we landed. Yeah, that was a plane situation.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zwille posted:

I did that when I saw the first houses coming in on LA. Still was a hour or so before we landed. Yeah, that was a plane situation.
Flying over LA left a lasting impression on me. It’s this vast ocean of a city. It gave me claustrophobia. I never want to go there.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

For some reason reminds me of flying into London City airport.

The utter terror of landing at LCY, with its tiny runway right on the banks of the Thames, is made up for by its utter convenience as the tiniest, best little airport there ever was.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Oh right, arriving in London by bus was fun too. Two hours of gridlock and then everything looks tiny like a Sesame Street set.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

Flying over LA left a lasting impression on me. It’s this vast ocean of a city. It gave me claustrophobia. I never want to go there.

The farthest I ever got was Spain, when our family spend a couple Summer-weeks there, visiting friends and relatives.

Our plane spend some time crossing the Mittelmeer both when approaching our destination and when leaving. Seeing all that water made a lasting impression on me. Together with the time I've spend at/on the Nordsee, in hindsight I now see why I'm so interested in poo poo like deep sea ecology. Too bad I can't swim and am a wimp, or I'd have tried becoming an Oceanographer, just to get into one of those deep sea submarines. :v:

When on the ground in Spain of course, I was more interested in all those cat colonies all over the coast. So many cats! It was like Cutemageddon.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Drone posted:

For some reason reminds me of flying into London City airport.

The utter terror of landing at LCY, with its tiny runway right on the banks of the Thames, is made up for by its utter convenience as the tiniest, best little airport there ever was.
I can still (vaguely) remember flying into the old Hong Kong airport 25 or so years ago. Slowly flying over the city, getting lower and lower, the wing tips almost touching the high rises before coming out and landing in the water. Simply terrifying.

Landing is from the left.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

I will never forget flying into LA at night. I woke up, looked outside and couldn't believe it, even from several hundred metres up all you could see stretching to the horizon was this vast sprawl of yellow streetlights and buildings. I have never seen anything comparable to this day. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. That was really impressive. And also in 2001 when the US wasn't quite as lovely as it is today.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Drone posted:

On a crowded flight, it's all about having space for your overhead luggage.

also, being first through the Passkontrolle

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Every time I fly I'm just so grateful and thankful that genetics made me (relatively small). I feel so loving crowded and cramped in, even while small. And I can always put my overhead luggage in front under the seat and still have some leg room. I honestly don't know how a bigger person can stand cheap seats. That's my "privilege rant" for 2020

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This thread really has taken a turn for the poetic with this flying talk, I love it.

My privilege rant is I got a "premium economy" flight paid by work and while it was like 3x the price, it also made me hate my life so much less than flying usually does. It's, what, 3cm more seating space, and it feels like all the world.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Friends, please don’t fly, it’s quite bad for the environment.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Says the dude who had a kid. How much will your kid fly? Have you thought about that Ienstien?

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Re: kitas and corona, this might be of interest to some of you (in particular Mithaldu). It doesn't seem to spread much (at least that's my reading).

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Projekte_RKI/KiTAStudie_QuartalIII_2020.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zwille posted:

Says the dude who had a kid. How much will your kid fly? Have you thought about that Ienstien?
This seems like a self defeating argument to me. For whom are we preserving this planet for than for our own kids?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Shhhh, if we don’t have kids they won’t guillotine us as they realize we’ve been lazy about this whole revolution thing

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Re: kitas and corona, this might be of interest to some of you (in particular Mithaldu). It doesn't seem to spread much (at least that's my reading).

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Projekte_RKI/KiTAStudie_QuartalIII_2020.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

Very much appreciated, but i can't say i'm very impressed. They don't have full coverage, so the absolute number in this next graph doesn't say much, but the curve itself is clear.

I'd also have liked to see data on how much the Betreuer get sick.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zwille posted:

Shhhh, if we don’t have kids they won’t guillotine us as they realize we’ve been lazy about this whole revolution thing
If my kids manage to murder me, they deserve the throne for themselves.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wengy posted:

1.5 hour flight vs 10-12 hours of driving (and we don't have a car) or at least 16 hours by train, with 3-4 changes on the way. Or I dunno 20 hours by Flixbus?

Baden-Württemberg is just annoying to get to, no matter what you do. Hell, there's only really one airline that flies between CPH and STR.

I would avoid flying if I could. It's annoying and stressful.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 13, 2020

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We’ve used the train for our last vacations. Partially cause it’s nicer, but mostly for environmental concerns. We want to try Croatia next, assuming there’s ever gonna be a time to have a vacation for us ever again.

Any other ideas for places you can reach by train? We’ve done France, Denmark, Italy and Slovenia.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I had very pleasant experiences with the Swiss train system. A real “the narrator finally reaches the end of the story and the Swiss border starts the end of Faserland” kind of experience.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was invited to teach a few classes at Oxford some time ago (:smuggo:) and as it wasn’t my money, I chose to go by train. Still not sure that was the best idea, just cause it takes forever.
Great food though. It’s not that the Brits cannot cook, they choose not to.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Cingulate posted:

We’ve used the train for our last vacations. Partially cause it’s nicer, but mostly for environmental concerns. We want to try Croatia next, assuming there’s ever gonna be a time to have a vacation for us ever again.

Any other ideas for places you can reach by train? We’ve done France, Denmark, Italy and Slovenia.

Sweden! Portugal also is one hell of a ride. And Warsaw.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

KozmoNaut posted:

Baden-Württemberg is just annoying to get to, no matter what you do.

I would like to sign this emphatically.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Also: my reaper is almost due for a proper harvest with properly-sized chilis :)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wengy posted:

Last year I looked up environmentally-friendly ways to travel to foreign countries. Apparently I could take the train to Beijing, which is awesome! Drawback: It'll take weeks, and I'd need to learn Russian and Chinese to prevent from getting utterly lost when I have to change trains in Moscow and when I arrive in China.

Another option is using container ships. What I didn't know was that every container ships has some accommodations for passengers. Container ships themselves may not be environmentally friendly, but they're gonna do their tour if you use them or not, in opposition to cruise ships which really shouldn't exist.

They are calculating prices by day, however. And an average voyage, for example from Rotterdam to Korea, could take 3 weeks or longer. Which can turn out to cost more than taking a cruise ship.(And definitely way more expensive than taking a cheap flight!) On the other hand, only very few people travel that way, so you aren't cooped into a cage with hundreds of morons coughing on you.

If I'm ever in a position that I can take 60 days of vacation instead of 30, I'm thinking of saving money for one of those insane long-term container ship voyages.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Wow, that’s like 100 bucks a day. Sure is bound to be exciting and unique though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Zwille posted:

Wow, that’s like 100 bucks a day. Sure is bound to be exciting and unique though.

For the first two days maybe. Being stuck on a industrial ship for weeks sounds awful. Especially once it turns out that there's an infection in the crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Stuck on a plague ship is certainly an experience.

Maybe take the container ship to New Zealand some day to more deeply commune with your apples.