Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is the only way to gain independence to just say "later!" and burn down you lieges poo poo until they let you go, or can you ask them to release you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

twistedmentat posted:

Is the only way to gain independence to just say "later!" and burn down you lieges poo poo until they let you go, or can you ask them to release you?

You can form an Independence faction and ask your liege to let you go, but it's pretty unlikely to work.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
For what it's worth, In my game as Leon I granted all of the Aragonese titles to my second-oldest son with the intention of granting more land to my third son as I expanded in the Muslim-held lands. My eldest son died and eventually my second-eldest son (now primary heir) kept the whole duchy + a few new counties form his dad when the king kicked the bucket, whereas his siblings all got 1 county or so each (Alfonso somehow sired like 7 sons, it was silly).

So one way to handle gavelkind is to give land to your heir when they're your sole heir, before they have siblings who stand to inherit, so the game doesn't block you form granting them titles.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Was playing as Petty King of Connacht, and my wife didn’t much like me. Romanced her and was stupendously successful, became soulmates, etc. A few years later, I started a war to vassalize one of my neighbors, and he managed to capture my capital before I could get my army back to break the siege. He captured my wife, and his allies kicked my rear end. At the conclusion of the war, he took my soulmate as concubine.

:getin:

It took almost five years, but I managed to simultaneously elope with my wife, start another war with him, and have my murder plot on the rear end in a top hat trigger a few days later. I was able to capture essentially his entire immediate family and enforce their vassalization within a month.

Game loving rules, 13/10.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Good news everyone, I managed to not get subjugated by Alba because it turned out they were handling multiple peasant revolts AND some other wars so I was able to narrowly survive. The war counter was at -87% at one point but I turned it around by hiring some mercenaries. Also the Byzantines hosed off from the war after sieging a couple of my counties for some reason, but hey. They were probably wrapped up in their own poo poo.

Now I'm thinking I might turn the tables and try to subjugate Alba myself. I'm kinda at a dead end with alliances at the moment, unfortunately, but I'm hoping maybe they'll be sandbagged by other affairs still and leave me some space to take them down. I'm also trying to murder the king with the hope that it'll splinter some of his alliances and leave his heir in a worse position in terms of levies and such.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Every lovely independent count having the money to hire 2000 mercenaries as soon as you declare war is starting to get really old.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
There's a slight problem where you still get patriarchal outrage events after legalizing hedonistic group sex.

Like, are you really surprised your concubine stepped out on you, sir? Are you paying attention at lust temple?

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

Red is actually the Tigris. The Euphrates is the blue one.

Game literally unplayable.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am starting to think there is a bug with activating exposed schemes. If you have the normal one scheme slot, an exposed scheme will fire as normal and you resolve it when the progress is done.

However both times I've had rulers with two scheme slots and if an exposed scheme completes, you get the event to choose to activate it, but the event doesn't resolve and it just hangs in the air and you aren't able to abandon it from the menu, and it only goes away once the scheme target dies. Pretty annoying!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

There's a slight problem where you still get patriarchal outrage events after legalizing hedonistic group sex.

Like, are you really surprised your concubine stepped out on you, sir? Are you paying attention at lust temple?

I suspect those still happen without the Polyamory tenet (which looks like it's about how believers feel about their own partners stepping out, as opposed to the crime doctrines which are about other people's partners stepping out) or with Consorts and Concubines (which imply a more posesssive sort of relationship than a secondary spouse).

But I haven't played with either yet so that's more of a guess.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hey son, can you have at LEAST one kid with your wife? You're seeding the planet with bastards, cool, YOU NEED AN HEIR.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I didn't foresee the full ramifications of going with full gender equality as a polygamous Clan government. It's just a ton of rulers marrying each other, all at once, creating total internal realm stability. Everyone is allied to everyone else at pretty much all times.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
This but Equality + Concubines. Whole lotta half siblings warring with each other once my King died.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Goddamn it, every game I start in Bulgaria/Romania ends up poo poo. This time as a vassal count/duke in Budjeac, the idiotic king of Bulgaria decided to convert to Tengri, fragmented the kingdom on his death and lost Pannonia to the Magyars. His heirs kept fragmenting the kingdom more until they didn't even control all of modern Bulgaria. I was then stuck in non-stop wars that left me bankrupt and unable to declare independence even if I wanted to.

It's bullshit that you're forced to defend a holy war against someone of your own faith just because my ruler converted to a different one, and then if you lose you lose the titles. From what I remember in CK2 if you won a holy war and the existing rulers were already of the same faith they kept their titles.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Midnight Voyager posted:

Hey son, can you have at LEAST one kid with your wife? You're seeding the planet with bastards, cool, YOU NEED AN HEIR.

If you're the house head you should be able to legitimize his bastards? You don't have to actually be the parent to do it.

eXXon posted:

Goddamn it, every game I start in Bulgaria/Romania ends up poo poo. This time as a vassal count/duke in Budjeac, the idiotic king of Bulgaria decided to convert to Tengri, fragmented the kingdom on his death and lost Pannonia to the Magyars. His heirs kept fragmenting the kingdom more until they didn't even control all of modern Bulgaria. I was then stuck in non-stop wars that left me bankrupt and unable to declare independence even if I wanted to.

It's bullshit that you're forced to defend a holy war against someone of your own faith just because my ruler converted to a different one, and then if you lose you lose the titles. From what I remember in CK2 if you won a holy war and the existing rulers were already of the same faith they kept their titles.

I think this is supposed to be what happens in CK3 too but it seems buggy. Having a pluralist religion is supposed to vassalize everyone instead of seizing land (you only seize the land directly owned by the person you declared war on) but every time I holy war a kingdom as a pluralist religion I still seem to personally seize 90% of the realm.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 12, 2020

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

eXXon posted:

It's bullshit that you're forced to defend a holy war against someone of your own faith just because my ruler converted to a different one, and then if you lose you lose the titles.

I don't know, that sounds realistic to me. Victors want to divvy the spoils among their friends; being of the same religion isn't a reason to keep your stuff, there's plenty of other coreligionists who would like it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Saharans finally feudalized which meant I was able to claw my way back on the eastern front. Meanwhile my previous wife (rip) inherited a duchy in Guinea which was a good foothold to corral them. The Generation of Rebels in the west died out and their heirs got their act together, so the western part of the empire is pretty stable again. However the Manso are still there being dicks and the ruler is super resilient against my schemes lol.

My income situation is starting to feel a bit reasonable, it helps that I got Golden Obligations again. Do I have the math right that using hooks on increasing vassal tax is a raw deal? Using the hook on that will push through +0.1 per month, while Golden Obligations gets me 90 upfront, so the tax won't balance out for 75 years, not to mention that upfront money can get put into a building which will give me that direct income from my own domain. It seems like economic growth in the capital is the priority?

Also of course I am 65 right now so this will blow up again at any time. My son and heir is a 48-year-old Fickle Arbitrary Vengeful Syphilitic, maybe I should disinherit him lol. My grandson is not that much better (Wrathful Forgiving[?] Lazy 1-star Diplomat). My great-granddaughter might be reasonable enough if I can stay alive and educate her for another four years...

Edit: oh whoops the rest of the line of succession is affected by the current heir, when I disinherited ol Poxy boy my other son moved up the line. Quick Grey Eminence :cabot:

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 12, 2020

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
That Kanem-Bornu blue is really loving nice

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
what the hell, I just suddenly got divorced from my queen for, like, no apparent reason??? I dunno if she initiated it, but it really sucks since I was banking on her dad's help for an upcoming war. :(

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I think the learning tree finale trait scholar should remove the penalty for switching to a dead religion so we can get our Julian the Apostate game on.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I had a Liberty Faction start up against me. Their armies were pathetic so I told them to pound sand. The war began and despite me having a vastly superior army I got handed 4 defeats in rapid order. Not sure what happened. I had the game speed on too fast, but I also find war incomprehensible. Understanding which units on the map are which appears to be beyond my capabilities. I often see units on the map that I can't select.

I reloaded my game. How do I stop a liberty faction? It has four members.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

blue squares posted:

The war began and despite me having a vastly superior army I got handed 4 defeats in rapid order. Not sure what happened.

The usual reasons are them having better men-at-arms, or having men-at-arms that counter yours, or them having knights with stupid amounts of prowess. A single beefy knight can take out literally hundreds of levies.

blue squares posted:

Improve their opinion of you, grant them titles, grant them vassals, murder them, or marry children off to them to make them allies. Allies can't faction against you.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Am I blind or is there no command to raise men-at-arms regiments individually?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

blue squares posted:

I had a Liberty Faction start up against me. Their armies were pathetic so I told them to pound sand. The war began and despite me having a vastly superior army I got handed 4 defeats in rapid order. Not sure what happened. I had the game speed on too fast, but I also find war incomprehensible. Understanding which units on the map are which appears to be beyond my capabilities. I often see units on the map that I can't select.

If you are using the game's assessment of military power or even looking at the numbers yourself, remember that when it comes to vassal wars that your own levy number probably included what they were providing, which would go away and to them in a war :v:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The usual reasons are them having better men-atarms, or having men-at-arms that counter yours, or them having knights with stupid amounts of prowess. A single beefy knight can take out literally hundreds of levies.

Improve their opinion of you, grant them titles, grant them vassals, murder them, or marry children off to them to make them allies. Allies can't faction against you.

Seduce them is an option too if your orientations are compatible. Lovers also can’t faction against you.

Or find a reason to imprison them. They also can’t faction against you in your dungeon. :v:

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Reveilled posted:

Something mentioned earlier in the thread but I want to really highlight now I've confirmed it's true: Catholicism can lose its head of faith in CK3. After being the target of four crusades on my lands in one lifetime, I just snapped on the fourth and decided to take the fight to the pope first. Bought a claim on the pope's land, conquered it in the window between the crusade's announcement and the actual declaration, peaced out making the pope landless. In previous CK games (and EU), that would make the papacy itself a landless title like a mercenary company, but not here--the papacy title was destroyed and catholicism now has no head of faith. No head of faith, no crusade! Wish I'd done that ages ago.

There's actually an Astaru decision that lets you dismantle the papacy entirely if you own all of Italia, and it even force coverts the Pope too.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Am I blind or is there no command to raise men-at-arms regiments individually?

You can't, but you can split them off and lower the ones you don't want raised. A bit fiddly but useful for siege engines.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Allies can't faction against you.

Neither can lovers, so hop to it :sissies:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

It’s too late for me to win them over, so I’ll have to acquiesce and lower my crown authority. I only have one heir anyway so it’s ok I suppose. I don’t need to change any succession laws

Anybody else find themselves sitting around waiting a lot? I’ve added the two duchies I wanted but I don’t want to go for the kingdom; my daughter is the queen

Speaking of daughters in positions of power: I have six of them, including two queens. What good does this do me?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

I think the learning tree finale trait scholar should remove the penalty for switching to a dead religion so we can get our Julian the Apostate game on.

you can rack up enough piety to revive a dead faith by using a faith with Human Sacrifices and killing...a lot of people...

it's easiest as Ásatrú

but yeah something not insanely difficult would be nice

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I heard tell that Holy Orders seem useless, but I had the Jomsvikings ask me to lease a city of mine in exchange for a big chunk of gold. If they keep doing this and only get cities, which AFAIK strangely don't make a lot of money regardless, then I imagine I'll be in the black eventually.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

blue squares posted:

It’s too late for me to win them over, so I’ll have to acquiesce and lower my crown authority. I only have one heir anyway so it’s ok I suppose. I don’t need to change any succession laws

Anybody else find themselves sitting around waiting a lot? I’ve added the two duchies I wanted but I don’t want to go for the kingdom; my daughter is the queen

Speaking of daughters in positions of power: I have six of them, including two queens. What good does this do me?

I think it mostly gets you dynastic renown, tho you can probably call them into wars. I keep getting the option to call in dynasty members anyway

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I wish I knew why my eldest daughter, who had been my heir, suddenly is not? (Female preference as we're Daura) It's gone to the next daughter and after I disinherited her and the other two girls, to my sons. As far as I can see she doesn't have any bastard trait and her dad is still the man believed to be her father since birth. I also tried disinheriting and restoring her own inheritance to no effect. She doesn't stand to inherit anything like any other titles or anything and I have absolutely no idea why.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Were all these inheritance mysteries part of CK2 because family trees and inheritance are so confusing to me that I can't imagine them even more so.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ms Adequate posted:

I wish I knew why my eldest daughter, who had been my heir, suddenly is not? (Female preference as we're Daura) It's gone to the next daughter and after I disinherited her and the other two girls, to my sons. As far as I can see she doesn't have any bastard trait and her dad is still the man believed to be her father since birth. I also tried disinheriting and restoring her own inheritance to no effect. She doesn't stand to inherit anything like any other titles or anything and I have absolutely no idea why.

Did she take the vows all on her own? I feel there's a popup when that happens, but maybe not

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

blue squares posted:

All else fails, drag some prisoners out onto the chopping block and rack up that Dread. I'm not entirely sure that intimidated characters won't ever faction against you, but it seemed to work when I tried it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Azhais posted:

Did she take the vows all on her own? I feel there's a popup when that happens, but maybe not

No vows for her to take in our faith :shrug:

e; Motherfucker, I was able to find the answer, it's because I made her the realm's Magadja (Priest), apparently that completely cuts her out of the inheritance? Fortunately it was all fixed as soon as I gave it to someone else.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 12, 2020

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ms Adequate posted:

Have you set her as the head priestess or something? Some doctrines gives temple buildings to the religious head of the realm to manage, and if that happens to be your heir, they will be temporarily disinherited until you remove them from the position (since temple vassals can't inherit).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

buglord posted:

Were all these inheritance mysteries part of CK2 because family trees and inheritance are so confusing to me that I can't imagine them even more so.

Pretty much yeah. CK2 was actually a lot easier because you could get access to primogeniture and gameable forms of elective much earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Broken Cog posted:

Have you set her as the head priestess or something? Some doctrines gives temple buildings to the religious head of the realm to manage, and if that happens to be your heir, they will be temporarily disinherited until you remove them from the position (since temple vassals can't inherit).

Yeppp that's exactly what it was! I had no idea because as a tribal we don't have any, like... real temple buildings that I know of.