Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

DOT is not a trash rating, it's not a rating at all. It's just a minimum standard for something to be considered safety gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

nvm

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 11, 2020

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
E: nevermind me too

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Does anyone here own a agv k6? How is it? They look to tick many boxes on features, sans internal sun visor.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
This is more of a rant than anything else but I'm incredibly annoyed by companies who make the sizes for their textile gear S, M, L, XL etc. rather than breaking it down into EU/US/UK sizing. There are generally way fewer gradations of size when you go with the letters. Also it's harder to tell whether a letter size will fit even with the sizing guides because the ranges are so broad and certainly what is L in one market is not going to be in another market. Lastly, since EU 48 jacket and 44 pants fit me perfectly, I seem to fall between M and S so I'm faced with going too tight or too baggy. I understand the cost and supply reasons for fewer sizes but when textile touring jackets go from $200 to $1400+, I want a jacket that fits well not kinda fits.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just dunk me in a big vat of bed liner before every ride.

Perfect fit, perfect protection.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Yuns posted:

This is more of a rant than anything else but I'm incredibly annoyed by companies who make the sizes for their textile gear S, M, L, XL etc. rather than breaking it down into EU/US/UK sizing. There are generally way fewer gradations of size when you go with the letters. Also it's harder to tell whether a letter size will fit even with the sizing guides because the ranges are so broad and certainly what is L in one market is not going to be in another market. Lastly, since EU 48 jacket and 44 pants fit me perfectly, I seem to fall between M and S so I'm faced with going too tight or too baggy. I understand the cost and supply reasons for fewer sizes but when textile touring jackets go from $200 to $1400+, I want a jacket that fits well not kinda fits.

At that kind of price point, especially for touring jackets, there will definitely be a pretty wide range of adjustment available - waist and cuffs definitely, but probably also biceps, shoulders, flanks (is that the right word?) and all sorts of other places are likely to have zips, poppers, velcro, stretch panels, and all sorts of other cleverness - some of this is just to fill out the feature sheet, but as textile doesn't wear in the way leather does, a degree of this sort of thing is pretty essential.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

At that kind of price point, especially for touring jackets, there will definitely be a pretty wide range of adjustment available - waist and cuffs definitely, but probably also biceps, shoulders, flanks (is that the right word?) and all sorts of other places are likely to have zips, poppers, velcro, stretch panels, and all sorts of other cleverness - some of this is just to fill out the feature sheet, but as textile doesn't wear in the way leather does, a degree of this sort of thing is pretty essential.

True, but like Yuns I'd rather get something that's a closer fit without having to snug up every strap, snap, and zipper on the thing if it's avoidable. As an example, I can't get Klim jackets to fit right. Mediums fit best in the midsection but are too tight across the shoulders, and Large fits through the shoulders but hangs like a plastic garbage bag everywhere else no matter how tightly you set the various adjusters. This problem is reduced or eliminated with any brand that offers Euro sizing.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I found that Teknic stuff looked good and fit me pretty well so I got a bunch of their gear, then of course they went out of business.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Jazzzzz posted:

True, but like Yuns I'd rather get something that's a closer fit without having to snug up every strap, snap, and zipper on the thing if it's avoidable. As an example, I can't get Klim jackets to fit right. Mediums fit best in the midsection but are too tight across the shoulders, and Large fits through the shoulders but hangs like a plastic garbage bag everywhere else no matter how tightly you set the various adjusters. This problem is reduced or eliminated with any brand that offers Euro sizing.
This is exactly it. The pricey textile jackets have tons of adjusters but even when cinched down the jacket billows out where not adjusted down so you end up looking like Bibendum, the Michelin Man. This is fine when you're talking a $150 jacket but not when you get north of $600. The textiles are an issue especially for any kind of athletic or skinny fit because unlike leathers I think they assume that anyone who wants a high end Gore-Tex touring jacket is a middle aged man rocking a hefty dad-bod and riding a BMW GS.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Popped a seam in my favorite gloves:

gently caress a warranty claim, this seems like it should be an extremely simple repair. Problem is I don't have a drat clue what I'm doing with a needle and thread, can anybody point me to a how-to guide? Sewing for idiots or something?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
This is actually a seam issue.

So all you need is a thread that is not poo poo.
And a normal needle as the holes are there.

Now what you should ask yourself is.

If its broke here from use , what else is done ?

Take the glove.
loving tug it in all directions.
If NOTHING else pops mend it.
If not the carcass of leather is used up.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 13, 2020

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

FBS posted:

Popped a seam in my favorite gloves:

gently caress a warranty claim, this seems like it should be an extremely simple repair. Problem is I don't have a drat clue what I'm doing with a needle and thread, can anybody point me to a how-to guide? Sewing for idiots or something?

This is called a warning sign. PPE that shows wear like this is legally required to be replaced (or serviced by the manufacturer if possible) in any workplace.
This glove has completed it's service life. You can assume that it will no longer adequatly protect you. Consider if it is a fashion item to you or if you wear it for protection. Then you know what to do.

Supradog posted:

This is actually a seam issue.

So all you need is a thread that is not poo poo.
And a normal needle as the holes are there.

Now what you should ask yourself is.

If its broke here from use , what else is done ?

Take the glove.
loving tug it in all directions.
If NOTHING else pops mend it.
If not the carcass of leather is used up.

You would have to restitch the whole seam to meet it's protection rating, most likely.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

these gloves are less than a year old and have maybe 2k miles on them

vvv That's a fair answer, thanks

FBS fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 13, 2020

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

FBS posted:

these gloves are less than a year old and have maybe 2k miles on them

Then they should be warrantied.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

In the past couple of years, I've been having some good luck picking up good gear on eBay. There are a lot of dodgy gray market sellers in Europe and a lot of straight up counterfeiters in Pakistan and east Asia. But I've been looking at used gear and have been able to pick up used gear in good condition for dirt cheap. I've even gotten some new gear from U.S. based retailers for a decent discount too (typically discontinued items or items in less popular sizes or colorways). I've avoided new gear from non-U.S. sellers.

Most recently I bought used Dainese Stradon - Goretex Pro 4 season jacket for $265 shipped from the UK. Last year, I picked up a used Dainese Hawker jacket that was in great condition for $145, brand new NWT Maple Motorcycle Jeans for $35, used Dainese Yamato textile pants for $50, a new leather Dainese Mugello jacket for $475.

The Stradon is discontinued but new old stock sells for $700+, the Hawker is also discontinued but new old stock is $239 to $279 (msrp was $399), the Mugello is around $699 for new old stock (original msrp was $999).

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Do glove liners work for cooler weather? I have some store credit at one of the websites and I'm thinking of picking up a pair for later this year, but I'm wondering if I should get a pair of winter riding gloves instead.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

As Nero Danced posted:

Do glove liners work for cooler weather? I have some store credit at one of the websites and I'm thinking of picking up a pair for later this year, but I'm wondering if I should get a pair of winter riding gloves instead.

If your gloves have no insulation at all, silk or merino glove liners will work for weather around 50F and up. Hand guards, heated grips, or better yet both, will let them work at lower temps. Full on insulated winter gloves suck - you lose a ton of dexterity and they still get cold. Skip straight to heated gloves, use a lobster claw mitten, or get Hippo Hands if you ride in the cold a lot. There are other brands besides Hippo Hands, those are just the ones I can remember the name of.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

If your gloves have no insulation at all, silk or merino glove liners will work for weather around 50F and up. Hand guards, heated grips, or better yet both, will let them work at lower temps. Full on insulated winter gloves suck - you lose a ton of dexterity and they still get cold. Skip straight to heated gloves, use a lobster claw mitten, or get Hippo Hands if you ride in the cold a lot. There are other brands besides Hippo Hands, those are just the ones I can remember the name of.

yeah I regularly ride in the 20-30 degree weather here in TN when it happens and the only thing that's gonna save you is going to be heated gloves unless you want to look like a (warm) dweeb with hippo hands. I've got heated grips and those only do you good til about 40. below that and my fingertips would still go cold in my wp fall full gauntlet gloves even with cycra handguards blocking the majority of the wind

luckily heated battery-powered (I hate wires) skiing gloves are cheap and you can size way up and run your summer gloves under, but tbh I just run the heated gloves by themselves being as I am already being a dumbass riding in the ice so why not go all out :D last winter I also bought myself a heated vest (powered by whatever battery pack you have) and that was just lovely. both were about $50 off amazon iirc

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks like QuadLock finally has a solution for vibration dampening. Picked this up to try.

https://www.quadlockcase.ca/collections/shop-moto/products/vibration-dampener?variant=32819765379147

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I'm a 4 season rider in the northeast and I just use straight up winter skiing gloves during the worst winter weather. These are the same gloves I've used snowboarding at -14 F (-25 C) at Tremblant. This morning, I wore just regular Alpinestars GP Plus at 48 degrees but much below that I'll go with the ski gloves even with the trade off of impact and abrasion protection. I just ordered some Alpinestars Winter Surfer gloves to try out this winter and will report back

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Yuns posted:

I'm a 4 season rider in the northeast and I just use straight up winter skiing gloves during the worst winter weather. These are the same gloves I've used snowboarding at -14 F (-25 C) at Tremblant. This morning, I wore just regular Alpinestars GP Plus at 48 degrees but much below that I'll go with the ski gloves even with the trade off of impact and abrasion protection. I just ordered some Alpinestars Winter Surfer gloves to try out this winter and will report back

See that's the kind of weather where even the most judgmental biker isn't going to give you poo poo for using bar muffs - wear regular winter or even 3-season gloves and keep the protection from crashing *and* the elements. Just make sure you take them off the moment the temperature gets above "will actually lose fingers" level or you'll get a severe side-eyeing.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Looks like QuadLock finally has a solution for vibration dampening. Picked this up to try.

https://www.quadlockcase.ca/collections/shop-moto/products/vibration-dampener?variant=32819765379147

Goddamn. Not on the UK website yet. I’ve been waiting for one to put on my DRZ.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Horse Clocks posted:

Goddamn. Not on the UK website yet. I’ve been waiting for one to put on my DRZ.

On my most recent trip of 8200 miles, vibrations killed the camera on my iPhone 11, using a RAM mount. It’s ok because it was still under warranty, but sucked because all Apple retail stores are closed due to COVID, and I had to drive 240 miles to the nearest Simply Mac to get it replaced.

Definitely interested in this instead of getting a specific GPS unit. I was using my old iPhone 6S+ as a designated GPS, until vibrations killed the gps positioning and broke the lightning port so it wouldn’t charge.

Pretty annoying, actually.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can report that the unit feels very rubbery and I kind of touched the phone while I was riding and it felt less like a paint shaker, but I don’t know how to qualify whether it’s much safer for the camera or not. I guess if anything it’ll be in the realm of “it’s better than nothing” but I’m still not ready to throw my daily driver phone on there. My sacrificial iPhone8 is still the one that gets tortured.

Then again, our fruit stands are open and as long as the phone is under warranty maybe it’s worth not carrying two phones around.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't know what brand it is but I'm seeing a lot of the food delivery riders using a phone mount that looks like a hybrid between a RAM mount and the Givi phone holder which I used for a while before going phone-in-pocket - the Givi has foam corners and backing holding the phone in place underneath the cover, so would seem to be a pretty useful way of protecting it.

Obviously you could just buy the Givi instead, but it's hella pricey IMO.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I picked up a Rev’It Vertex Air on deep seasonal discount today, and I’m surprised at how thin it is. It has decent reviews and even good crash reviews so I don’t think it’s unsafe but compared to my Dainese Superspeed Textile jacket it feels almost like a thin shopping bag.

The surprising lack of mass aside, craftsmanship feels good. It’s obviously been built down to a price but none of the fit and finish feels compromised. Thin textile, plastic shoulder sliders compared to metal on the D. This jacket is likely one-and-done. The elbow and shoulder armour feels a little flimsy even though it’s CE1 rated, I may swap it out with D3O equivalents, and I still need to pick up a back protector for it.

That said, I died a lot in the summer this year so I’m looking forward to trying this out come some scorchers in 2021. I’m going to keep an eye out for the accompanying Airwave 3 pants to see if they go on sale at all.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I've been using an oversized exercise arm band to hold my phone on my forearm since my body's squishy enough to absorb the vibrations. I hope that quad lock works though, that would be ideal.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I still want to try this but it’s so expensive. https://shop-hondogarage.com/collections/phone-mounting-systems-motorcycle/products/buzz-kill-vibration-isolator

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

It was 41 F (5 C) early this morning on the way to the gym rising to 48 F (9 C) by the time I went home. It's a 25 minute local ride varying from 25 mph (40 kph) to 50+ mph (80+ kph). It's been a good time to start running cold weather gear.

I can't say enough good things about my Dainese Hawker D-Dry jacket. It's discontinued but still available as new old stock. It has removable 2 inner layers. There is a thermal fleece zip up as the innermost layer which has attachment points at the back of the neck and end of the sleeves. this snaps into a removable waterproof breathable D-Dry liner which has both a zipper and snaps which allow a flap to cover the zipper. The D-Dry layer can snap into the jacket itself. The jacket is textile and has 2 outside pockets and front and back vents. It comes with elbow/forearm armor and shoulder armor and has pockets for additional back and chest armor. The fleece has 2 additional pockets. I've been using the jacket with the fleece and itself been great in 40+ degree weather. Because I'm going to the gym, I'm wearing a cut off work out shirt underneath and I still find the temps fine for the duration of 25 minutes even without extra layering. With a real shirt and a midlayer, I would expect the jacket to be able to push easily into the 30s. I'd call it a 3.5 season jacket. It can push into all but the complete hottest of weather and the coldest of weather. The one dislike I have is that I ripped open the loops on the D Dry layer that attach to the main jacket when I was taking off the jacket. It doesn't affect function but now I can't keep the layers completely together
when I take off the jacket as the inner arms pull out.

While I wait for my Alpinestars Winter Surfers, I've been using my Alpinestars Patron Goretex uninsulated gloves. The Patron are tolerable for short rides but not ideal in 41 degree weather. My fingers get cold although the palms feel ok, and my fingers are red and stiff at the end of 25 minutes. I've been wearing my Arai Quantum X which is fine as I don't need the extra venting of my Corsair X in cold weather. The pinlock is pretty good as usual.

I don't have traction control on any of my bikes. I'm running Michelin Power RS on the KTM. I take the first few miles carefully to allow for warm up. They're not as quick to warm up as the Pirelli Rosso II but they're not as bad as some would have you believe. I doesn't seem to take that many miles to get warm and the compound and tread have been doing fine in the 40s even when I've had some rain. They are not as good road tires as the Rosso II/III (and I assume the Michelin Power 5). But there are not a DOT race tire. It's definitely a tire for a primarily road rider.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 20, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I dunno, that seems reasonably priced as far as bike accessories go.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Going to do a little research to figure out how I can’t beat mount this, and then I will buy it if I can make it work.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Soon there will be a $12 copy on eBay, made from inferior materials, bolted together with already rusted hardware, shipped directly from xinjiang. Make sure, when that version falls apart, to tell everyone that the original product is a piece of crap.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
$39 is still cheaper than a new phone :v:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

This dude sounds existentially bored, but here's a comparison of a few different types of vibration isolators POV drone/quad-/multicopter pilots use for their various cameras. The wire rope isolators like the one used in the hondo garage part work waaaay better than silicone plugs like used in the Quadlock setup. It wouldn't be too hard to make your own and use an AMPS bolt pattern on the plates so you could bolt it up to a standard RAM ball on one side and phone mount on the other.

Martytoof posted:

Once you buy the Perfect Squeeze phone mount, the adapters to hook it to your bars or a RAM mount, and the vibration isolator, you've paid out drat near $200 - it's expensive

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 21, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

leave your got danged phones in your pockets, you dumb millenials! :bahgawd:

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

FBS posted:

leave your got danged phones in your pockets, you dumb millenials! :bahgawd:

Then how else will I know which tiny, signed but obscured by foliage, left turn is the one to take with the fun twisty roads?

Because with just voice navigation, I miss it 100% of the time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You stumble on them by chance and jealously guard the knowledge of their existence like your predecessors did, revealing them only to others of the tribe, the way it's been done for countless turns of the great crank.

Handlebar satnav is heresy, a dark power only permitted to the grit-buttocked priests of d'khar. Tempt not the friction gods, keep your gaze to the horizon!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Instead of using your phone, get a proper GPS (TomTom > Garmin).

It's robust and 100% waterproof and doesn't give a poo poo about vibrations.

And you can add a Billy Connolly navigation voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

Instead of using your phone, get a proper GPS (TomTom > Garmin).

It's robust and 100% waterproof and doesn't give a poo poo about vibrations.

Tomtoms are great, but they will break because of vibrations. I've broken 3 Tomtom Rider 5s (the plastics are shaken to bits), and all the 6 pin connectors on the dock are broken on at least 5 docks. The pins are also hammered into the connector on the GPS, making holes so new docks cannot charge the GPS. Half of the pins are +/-, so you have some redundancy. The new series has only 2 pins, so good luck with that.

The trick to get some more km out of the Tomtoms after that happens is to charge with the USB cable, and when the internal battery dies, just change it to a new 18650.

helstein fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 21, 2020