Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Get a robotic lawnmower, it's like a roomba for the yard. When it finishes it returns to it's charging pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I know, I just want to supercharge lawn tools because it would be silly and would piss off the neighbors with their ordinary battery powered snowblower and lawnmower that take several hours to recharge.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I need to install a level 2 charger in my garage because this 110v poo poo is too slow.

When I had my garage built, I asked them to run 12-3 to it in case I wanted a 220v circuit in the future, so I do have that. I need to know how to wire it so I still have 110v going to my lights and regular outlets but 220v going to the charger. Are there any guides you all recommend? I've done plenty of my own home electrical work so I understand wiring but this particular thing is new to me.

This is what the box looks like (that's a switch that the hots are going to):

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ola posted:

I've had this happen to some degree or other on every ACC system I've tried.

That's not a good thing.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I was thinking today that widespread adoption of EVs could mean an end to 110V. It's not even enough to power an iron properly, charging a car must be torture.

What proportion of houses can get 240V? Or 3-phase? It obviously would need a huge investment in infrastructure but maybe needing really high power outputs at home would do it.

My lawn is on a 45 degree slope and absolutely gently caress cutting that with a cabled strimmer.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Godholio posted:

That's not a good thing.

Just saying it's a common thing. Determining what is an obstacle and what is just scenery is pretty hard with a radar, a camera and a computer. Typically get it with oncoming traffic around a bend, cars parked or pulling over. Good luck robotaxis.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

knox_harrington posted:

I was thinking today that widespread adoption of EVs could mean an end to 110V. It's not even enough to power an iron properly, charging a car must be torture.

What proportion of houses can get 240V? Or 3-phase? It obviously would need a huge investment in infrastructure but maybe needing really high power outputs at home would do it.

My lawn is on a 45 degree slope and absolutely gently caress cutting that with a cabled strimmer.

Essentially every house in the US already has 240vac service.

Three phase probably isn’t feasible.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

knox_harrington posted:

I looked into this issue earlier when we were discussing whether I could ever have home DC fast charging. In the U.S. nearly every home has 240V for the big appliances - HVAC, dryer and stove BUT nearly no residences have 3 phase (basically just commercial and industrial have it) and 3 phase would be super expensive to have in a residence.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Stultus Maximus posted:

I need to install a level 2 charger in my garage because this 110v poo poo is too slow.

When I had my garage built, I asked them to run 12-3 to it in case I wanted a 220v circuit in the future, so I do have that. I need to know how to wire it so I still have 110v going to my lights and regular outlets but 220v going to the charger. Are there any guides you all recommend? I've done plenty of my own home electrical work so I understand wiring but this particular thing is new to me.

TECHNICALLY you can achieve what you want by adding a NEMA 6-20 and wiring it to the black, red and grounded conductors in that box, under article 210.4 (C) exception 2, assuming that circuit is fed with a two pole breaker. But that's a borderline interpretation, and your code enforcement agency could consider an EVSE equipment that requires a dedicated circuit.

That being said, it is a bad idea, it'll be way to easy to overload one leg of that circuit with a charger going non-stop, and If I were still an electrician I wouldn't do it for you. You should either run a new circuit for your charger or a new circuit to pick up your 120V loads.

Why do you have a double pole switch? Is that some sort of weird master garage shut-off?

knox_harrington posted:

Pretty much every house has 240V supplied.

Most utilities will not supply 3ø power to a house.

It's quite easy to add 6.6kW of capacity on a normal house service, which is more than adequate for most people's commutes. In areas of the country where electric heat is common, it's somewhat normal to have a second service delivering 200A at 240V, that's 48kW of charging capacity, which is more than enough for any conceivable AC charger.

The big HVDC fast chargers use an 3ø service.

There's no way the US is going away from 120/240V services for residential use, most commercial has 3ø available already.

Fun history fact, Tesla defined the ideal voltage/frequency for AC applications in the home as 240V 60hz, the US went with 120V 60hz because it's less lethal, the round metric number obsessed Germans used 240V 50hz, because 60hz is too unmetric.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

re: fast charging at home, I don't think 3 phase would be a requirement. I remember reading about and seeing project photos of someone's home chademo charger. It was basically a rack of old tesla batteries. Charge the batteries via AC, use the batteries to charge the car. Maybe if things like powerwalls become more common you could opt to "turbocharge" directly from it if you really needed the juice. You probably wouldn't want to do it as the norm for the health of the battery.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I have a 20A 240V circuit at home, don't need any faster home charging for my S75D.

I'm sorta surprised that 240V outlets aren't more common in the US. Even poo poo like computers are more efficient at 240V, and all modern PSU's can use 240V. Wiring is cheaper for the same power level as well.

60Hz is better than 50Hz because you can build slightly smaller (and cheaper) transformers for the same VA rating. But of course the Europeans didn't want any of that :cripes:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't know why you would want to waste money on that. How often do you arrive home empty and need to set off on a long journey right away? Where you can't fast charge along the route?

Plenty of Norwegian homes have 400V 3-phase service, some have had 22 kW charging installed. It seems a waste. The car sucks high wattage off the grid when everybody else uses power, then finishes at 11PM and sits idle through the night when power is cheap, then it ready for you in morning. I guess time based rates would make it more viable to start late, then charge at high power through the night. But over here it looks more like high wattage is going to be what costs you more. 230/16A single phase is fine, 3.6 kW.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Can't most EVs schedule charges?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Elviscat posted:

TECHNICALLY you can achieve what you want by adding a NEMA 6-20 and wiring it to the black, red and grounded conductors in that box, under article 210.4 (C) exception 2, assuming that circuit is fed with a two pole breaker. But that's a borderline interpretation, and your code enforcement agency could consider an EVSE equipment that requires a dedicated circuit.

That being said, it is a bad idea, it'll be way to easy to overload one leg of that circuit with a charger going non-stop, and If I were still an electrician I wouldn't do it for you. You should either run a new circuit for your charger or a new circuit to pick up your 120V loads.

Why do you have a double pole switch? Is that some sort of weird master garage shut-off?

It would be a lot simpler to just run a new circuit out there but it's a detached garage and outbuildings can only have one circuit going to them so it will have to be 110v branching off 220v.
And yes, it is some sort of weird master garage shut off. I assume there's a code reason for it that I haven't looked up but that's what the electrician put in.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Can't most EVs schedule charges?

Aye. My Bolt and Prius are set up to charge between 11pm and 5am when power costs $0.05/KWh. Cost per mile driven is just over a cent.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Stultus Maximus posted:

12-3 isn't really good enough to feed anything past the bare minimum level 2 charging even by itself, forget including regular outlets and lights. Just for the record I wired up my HPWC with its own dedicated 6-2 run to a 60A breaker in the main panel. Also note that most EV chargers do not require a neutral (the HWPC doesn't even have a terminal post for one).

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
The Volt will draw a maximum of 16 amps but I suspect this is going to end with me pulling the 12/3, running 10/3, and installing a subpanel...

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Elviscat posted:

Fun history fact, Tesla defined the ideal voltage/frequency for AC applications in the home as 240V 60hz, the US went with 120V 60hz because it's less lethal, the round metric number obsessed Germans used 240V 50hz, because 60hz is too unmetric.

I was confused as hell for a second before I realized this was the actual person and not the company.

Also yeah there's a bug with V3 superchargers in EU, you can DCFC for free from them with a non Tesla car.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Stultus Maximus posted:

The Volt will draw a maximum of 16 amps but I suspect this is going to end with me pulling the 12/3, running 10/3, and installing a subpanel...

Future proof it for real this time and go way bigger if you are putting in a sub panel. (Also consider aluminum wire if it is a long run, it can save a fair amount over copper and can still handle the load fine.)

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Indiana_Krom posted:

Speaking of EVs being in places where they shouldn't, I just had to take my Model 3 to a gas station to fill up the lawnmower can. I thought I was done with this poo poo.

I know how you feel: Last year I bought a portable 12V DC air compressor so I never have to take my car to a gas station again.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I can’t afford (am too cheap for) an EV But I ditched petrol tools a long time ago. I hate mowing but a battery mower with no smell, virtually no noise and zero maintenance is loving brilliant.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Beffer posted:

I can’t afford (am too cheap for) an EV But I ditched petrol tools a long time ago. I hate mowing but a battery mower with no smell, virtually no noise and zero maintenance is loving brilliant.

I'm too cheap for that and use a plug in mower and string trimmer. I've only run over the extension cord once!
But still, way better than walking behind a tiny gas engine that emits more pollution per minute than an ICE car.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Stultus Maximus posted:

Are you sure that is the box they ran the unpowered 220 wire too? Are you sure they actually did what you asked? They should have ran a one ground 3 insulated wire unconnected from your breaker box to somewhere in the garage, or just installed a 220 outlet in the garage like a normal electrician would. Is all of this run from one breaker in your houses breaker box? That is usually what they do for a detached and it is crap.

This is AI I just assumed anyone building a garage would have the utility connect a new 200 amp service dedicated too it because you need juice to build that custom fierorrari you been dreaming of.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Just run a proper 60A sub panel out there.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Elviscat posted:

Just run a proper 60A sub panel out there.

Imo run a full 200A service. I put a 100A panel for 2 60A outlets and wish I had more.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Shamino posted:

Imo run a full 200A service. I put a 100A panel for 2 60A outlets and wish I had more.

Wish you had more than 100 amps? What are you running that consumes more than 24kW?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Indiana_Krom posted:

I know, I just want to supercharge lawn tools because it would be silly and would piss off the neighbors with their ordinary battery powered snowblower and lawnmower that take several hours to recharge.

I'm late to this but my Ego mower battery (5ah, 56v) takes like 40 minutes to charge with the included fast charger

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've fully committed to the Ryobi 40v system for yard maintenance and I've had absolutely zero issues for three years now, despite Ryobi not always having the best reputation for their other battery powered tools. Running out of battery if I waited too long to do yard maintenance was a thing for me, but I just bought a second battery and that's more than enough.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
gently caress doing yard work with cabled tools, especially for mowers/trimmers. It's a huge hassle and I'd rather use gas powered tools than mess with a wire getting all over the place.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

gently caress doing yard work with cabled tools, especially for mowers/trimmers. It's a huge hassle and I'd rather use gas powered tools than mess with a wire getting all over the place.

I have a big, tough to maintain yard and to be honest the Ryobi battery electric toolset is 90% of time more than up to the task except for mowing. I'll use a 800w cabled hedge trimmer for the other 10%

A battery mower is okay for the front but at this point in time, the back yard is big enough that I either have to use 70-80 meters of power cord or just accept the two stroke mower right now is the best for the job

quote:

despite Ryobi not always having the best reputation for their other battery powered tools

Personally Ryobi ONE+ have hit a "cheap, tough, reliability - you can have all three this time" that means I've got a whole slew of ONE+ tools and have never had a tool fail and only lost a battery because it got left in the rain.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

VW ID.3 range test, just about spot on WLTP at approx 90 kph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgyN7pdss7o

e: I'll save you the click, 421 km with 23 km left on the GOM

Ola fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 13, 2020

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ola posted:

VW ID.3 range test, just about spot on WLTP at approx 90 kph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgyN7pdss7o

e: I'll save you the click, 421 km with 23 km left on the GOM

That's pretty awesome. Does anyone drive around at 90kph though? Sounds very frustrating.

I ordered a Makita strimmer at the beginning of the summer that takes 2 batteries and is extremely powerful. As usual the Swiss Post failed to deliver it up in the mountains. When I got back from the round trip down into the valley to pick it up there was a municipal worker strimming my garden so the entire thing is pointless

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

That's pretty awesome. Does anyone drive around at 90kph though? Sounds very frustrating.

You can drive it at other speeds. It's just a good approximation of WLTP.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ola posted:

You can drive it at other speeds.

:monocle:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I would find an assessment of range in a more normal use case a lot more interesting than “by driving the car in an abnormal way to try to meet this test result, we successfully replicated the test result.”

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would find an assessment of range in a more normal use case a lot more interesting than “by driving the car in an abnormal way to try to meet this test result, we successfully replicated the test result.”

Several EV testers have standardized to 90 kph because it matches WLTP and is easy to replicate. So lots of cars get tested at that speed, some fail to reach the WLTP range, other surpass it, which is interesting. Sorry they don't test your specific case, they should really have gone out of their way to do your specific shopping runs and holidays. I live in an area with lots of topography and no speed limit above 80 kph, yet somehow my super brain is able to make use of these test results. Also, higher speed tests are also common. The guy who made that video is also doing a 130 kph one. Video isn't finished yet but from skipping through the live stream it seems like he had 205 Wh/km, 328 Wh/mi near the end.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
In case anyone at home is still following along, Tesla is still working on permitting for my solar panels.

It's been over 11 weeks since I initially ordered at this point. Their estimate of 1-5 weeks for permitting seems a bit off.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

MrLogan posted:

In case anyone at home is still following along, Tesla is still working on permitting for my solar panels.

It's been over 11 weeks since I initially ordered at this point. Their estimate of 1-5 weeks for permitting seems a bit off.
Some of this delay might be covid related, but still this is ridiculous. I presume that is even with you still calling and nagging them frequently?

For the record, I just got my registration packet for my model 3 on Friday, almost two months since delivery day. About a week after I got the car I sent in the registration form for my state that I filled out online, the state said processing times are 1-2 weeks at most, over a month later I still hadn't heard anything so I got online and started nagging and they said they needed the certificate of origin. So then I started nagging my sales advisor who looked in to it for me and found out it was still "pending", it took Tesla another 3 weeks to finally overnight the registration packet to me. Like literally everything takes a month to get done anymore, I really hate this year and it still has three months left in it!

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Correct. I usually call every one to two weeks to ask what the next step is and that seems to prompt them to actually take action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrLogan posted:

Sorry. I've heard bad things about their customer service.