Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

bawfuls posted:

I had a professor in grad school who did a lot of fire research and one year he spent a 9/11 lecture showing us the details and results of these simulations. It was fascinating stuff, scores of scientists and engineers spent a lot of time producing that work. It always frustrates me when people get deep in the weeds on the “controlled demolition” poo poo.

people do not want to know or care about how concrete burns and explodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

if you want a bitter pill, read into what NFPA regulations were in the 1970s

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

dodgeblan posted:

it's okay to admit that you feel hurt when your favorite podcast makes fun of posters and says that they're wasting their lives

This latest ep they did the life advice shtick and its so drat funny considering their backgrounds lmao

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Zedhe Khoja posted:

really? i assumed it would suck and sat it out.

naw its good man

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Maya Fey posted:

it was worth the subreddit ever existing just for the virgin-shaming post

some hogs were posted, lesser from peer pressure than a want to belong, but people did show a little ween

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

im betting it's gonna look like how american history textbooks talk about late 19/early 20 cent american imperialism

"britain let the US have little a empire, as a treat"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Eustace posted:

He came to the anarchist bookstore at the small city i live in to give a talk a few years ago. Told a room full of white anarchist that they should consider giving america back to the natives and to go back to europe

been thinking about this. if the political situation in the US continues to deteriorate, seems like a lot of well connected and well off white people in the US are going to flee to the EU. By either buying citizenship outright, digging up family connections, or qualifying with their professional credentials. but they're just going to leave a hollowed out US that will continue to oppress and exploit native nations. and the white people left are going to be too poor to flee, and cling even tighter to their whiteness.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

been thinking about this. if the political situation in the US continues to deteriorate, seems like a lot of well connected and well off white people in the US are going to flee to the EU. By either buying citizenship outright, digging up family connections, or qualifying with their professional credentials. but they're just going to leave a hollowed out US that will continue to oppress and exploit native nations. and the white people left are going to be too poor to flee, and cling even tighter to their whiteness.

eh, maybe in the short term, but I don't think whiteness survives without the scraps of wealth to make it worth fighting for

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

i was talking with a friend who makes 6 figures yesterday and she got v upset when i said i wouldn’t be voting biden (in an overwhelmingly blue state locked in for biden) and she said (“joked”) if trump wins she’s moving to new zealand

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

just caught up with ghost stories; great stuff. If you haven't decided where to go next, I'm gonna toss a vote for going into the connections to Latin America

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

it does seem like truanon has taken over chapo's old role of shining light on humanitarian crises that are being ignored otherwise.

I remember the old chapo episode about the teacher's strike in Mexico, but when was the last time they did anything like that?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Post 2020 Bernie Chapo sucks but I'll keep listening to their garbage

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

The intro montage to the first episode of bad faith has renewed my hatred of joe and strengthened my resolve to never vote Democrat again

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

it does seem like truanon has taken over chapo's old role of shining light on humanitarian crises that are being ignored otherwise.

I remember the old chapo episode about the teacher's strike in Mexico, but when was the last time they did anything like that?

buddy that was literally episode 21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn70-dH3N7c

they talked to a nurse working during the age of COVID in March
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1Aw2orBITk

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bad Faith is pretty good. It's nice to have a lefty politics podcast that isn't based largely on psycho Twitter poo poo

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Why did New Zealand become to dream country/safe haven for rich libs exactly? Do they allow you to buy citizenship or something? Too cold, can't be bothered to learn a new langauge/not enough wine in Scandinavia?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

thotsky posted:

Why did New Zealand become to dream country/safe haven for rich libs exactly? Do they allow you to buy citizenship or something? Too cold, can't be bothered to learn a new langauge/not enough wine in Scandinavia?

easy for them to immigrate and hard for...other people

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

thotsky posted:

English speaking, yes you can buy citizenship for like $20 million or something, very very good weather, south island is basically the size of (habited) California but with 1 million people compared to 40 million people, very green and a lot of fresh water, extensive untapped nature, unconnected geographically to anything else, and good fertile soil writ-large that hasnt been scrapped clean for mono-culturral mega-ag. although it relies on imports for doohickies and some supplies and grotesque western consumption lyfe, food-wise it'd could easily be extremely self-sustainable for enough staples even if variety is limited.

e: also the beaches loving own. we had like a 20 mile long secluded beach just all to ourselves to run around nude on the beach. a whole lot of it is just unpopulated entirely. it's both remote/rural but without being actual wasteland sort of thing, like roads are all very nice, infrastructure is pretty extensive, no deadly creatures like australia, etc

Xaris has issued a correction as of 22:48 on Sep 12, 2020

THS
Sep 15, 2017

also you can pretend you’re in lord of the rings

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

THS posted:

lmao i just realized they're basically sauraman invading the shire

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

thotsky posted:

because it's where movie studios are outsourcing things

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

THS posted:

this was undoubtedly a significant part of it for Thiel

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/RepDanCrenshaw/status/1304887290674712576

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
What is michael tracy? Is he a journalist? Why does he have the blue checkmark on his twitter?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Greg Legg posted:

What is michael tracy? Is he a journalist? Why does he have the blue checkmark on his twitter?

hes a professional weenus

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Greg Legg posted:

Bargain basement Tim Pool

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i was talking with a friend who makes 6 figures yesterday and she got v upset when i said i wouldn’t be voting biden (in an overwhelmingly blue state locked in for biden) and she said (“joked”) if trump wins she’s moving to new zealand

If you were capable of moving to New Zealand why in the gently caress would you wait for Trump to win or lose? If I could go to and survive in almost any other country, I would.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Greg Legg posted:

editor of tulsi gabbard's wikifeet page

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm moving to Antarctica cya losers. B)

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Bargain basement Tim Pool

I hate that fucken guy!!!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Yeah I had the same conversation, two friends who make a fortune and were incredulous I said I'll never vote again and then agreed it's a good thing we're in Illinois so my nonvoting doesn't matter but what if I were in wisconsin! They both discussed leaving the country because their wives are panicked at the thought of trump winning and how it would set things back for them in some undefined way

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

T-man posted:

I'm moving to Antarctica cya losers. B)

beat the crowds! if human civilization survives what's coming, we are definitely going to colonize Antarctica.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Joementum posted:

this was undoubtedly a significant part of it for Thiel

I never got super into lotr as a kid, was it common for people to idolize sauron and poo poo?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Centrist Committee posted:

I never got super into lotr as a kid, was it common for people to idolize sauron and poo poo?

if you're a self aware sociopathic billionaire, yes.

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

T-man posted:

Post 2020 Bernie Chapo sucks but I'll keep listening to their garbage

There are still regularly good episodes, and they seem to be coming back. Friend of mine said it best: its still very good, and he still listens, but hearing them say "it is so funny that this sucks" is getting a little tiresome.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

well he also named his data collection spy company palantir

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
bad faith pod has a lot of potential imo and it's hilarious how different glenns answers are from the other two guests lol

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I just like that Glenn's "Actually minorities want MORE police" got real pushback which means they're doing better than Chapo on some stuff already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

just lmao that Palmer Luckey named his surveillance company after a city on the continent that gets completely destroyed by Lavos after they loving wake them up