Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Tree Goat posted:

gonna double check the LF archives before i confirm

LF people were not tankies that's some revisionist bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Is there a Florida and Augustina rivers?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS posted:

there is no augustina river, though that area roughly tracks to the irl st. johns river

there is no such florida river, that part of florida is mostly just short rivers that drain the relative hilly areas inland to the sea, and then a kazillion tiny little bogs and lakes because florida gets a huge amount of rain and is low lying, hence is a giant swamp. probably more manmade drainage canals in florida than natural waterways

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Milo and POTUS posted:

The mapmaker renamed the states with rivers they didn't like the names of.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

DrSunshine posted:

Tag yourselves. I'm the Achaemid Empire, reborn 31,000 years in the future.
Not enough water for my sci-fi apocalypse!

Since that is unreadable and German, have a Queen's English version. That is worthless on its own since it is impossible to differentiate land and sea.

Highlights:
  • Premise: Surface is uninhabitable because of runaway pollution and radiation after numerous nuclear wars
  • The Shogunate is Chinese, Japanese, and Russian
  • Atlantic Federation is American and European
  • Clans Union is Indian and Arab, including Pakistan and Isreal!
  • Tornado Zone is anarchic and made of refugees from all over

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Territorial evolution of the United States is today's Featured List on the Wikipedia homepage, a culmination of a project I've been working on since 2006. Please look and enjoy, and I'll take this as an opportunity to ask y'all to share it, since the current version is vastly superior to the versions that have periodically gone viral, and I made bad decisions with that one and what this means is every couple of years, the Internet decides I'm racist.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/United_States_evolution.gif is a direct link to the animation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_evolution_of_the_United_States is the article.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What was your rationale in referring to the former colonial master of the United States as “Great Britain”?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

One unit, solely as the result of English conquest and domination over Ireland.

Ian Paisley spotted

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

What was your rationale in referring to the former colonial master of the United States as “Great Britain”?

Racism, clearly.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Golbez posted:

Territorial evolution of the United States is today's Featured List on the Wikipedia homepage, a culmination of a project I've been working on since 2006. Please look and enjoy, and I'll take this as an opportunity to ask y'all to share it, since the current version is vastly superior to the versions that have periodically gone viral, and I made bad decisions with that one and what this means is every couple of years, the Internet decides I'm racist.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/United_States_evolution.gif is a direct link to the animation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_evolution_of_the_United_States is the article.

Bring back Mega-Virginia.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Golbez posted:

This is pretty awesome. Congrats and good job!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Kennel posted:

Bring back Mega-Virginia.

what about mega-luisiana?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Platystemon posted:

That was their name, the Kingdom of Great Britain. They didn't become the United Kingdom until 1801.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Tei posted:

what about mega-luisiana?

I want back the US territory we gave up to the UK north of the 49th parallel. The stuff sort of north and northeast of present day Montana.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

BC is already United States lite so I'm not against that.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

HardDiskD posted:

54 40 or fight is a separate issue. I'm talking about this land

Which was rightful American clay and never should have been surrendered to perfidious Albion

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

HardDiskD posted:

The only truly canadian provinces are Newfoundland and Quebec

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Which was rightful American clay and never should have been surrendered to perfidious Albion

Isn't it more properly French clay? Or Spanish? just kidding, it's Blackfoot clay

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I think you will find that Newfoundland is Norwegian clay rightfully.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

I think you will find that Newfoundland is Norwegian clay rightfully.
Greenlandic. Greenland is of course Icelandic clay, Iceland Norwegian, and Norway Danish.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Good point, being back greater Denmark, including Sweden (with Finland) and Estonia and I guess some Poland around Gdansk.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Honestly just let them have it, almost their entire population already lives on the border, if you take that away from them they're left with just 1-2 million people. Kosovo tier

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

what about the pretty borders tho

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

Honestly just let them have it, almost their entire population already lives on the border, if you take that away from them they're left with just 1-2 million people. Kosovo tier

Weirdly that specific area is basically the only place where population concentrations aren’t on the border. I think the only cities in that chunk are Lethbridge (100k) and Medicine Hat (60k) and even they might be too far north to be included

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

HardDiskD posted:

what about the pretty borders tho

Straight lines aren't as pretty as squiggles

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Weirdly that specific area is basically the only place where population concentrations aren’t on the border. I think the only cities in that chunk are Lethbridge (100k) and Medicine Hat (60k) and even they might be too far north to be included
Both Lethbridge and Medicine Hat (and, for that matter, Moose Jaw and Swift Current) are in the Nelson River drainage. There are not a lot of people in the Canadian portion of the Mississippi basin. The biggest population centre I could find was, I think, Shaunavon, Saskatchewan (pop. 1699). It's a whole lot of nothing down there.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Straight lines aren't as pretty as squiggles

Squiggles > straight lines > both, what's wrong with you Maryland

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rebel Blob posted:

Not enough water for my sci-fi apocalypse!

Since that is unreadable and German, have a Queen's English version. That is worthless on its own since it is impossible to differentiate land and sea.

Highlights:
  • Premise: Surface is uninhabitable because of runaway pollution and radiation after numerous nuclear wars
  • The Shogunate is Chinese, Japanese, and Russian
  • Atlantic Federation is American and European
  • Clans Union is Indian and Arab, including Pakistan and Isreal!
  • Tornado Zone is anarchic and made of refugees from all over

AquaNox is very good

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Golbez posted:

Isn't it more properly French clay? Or Spanish? just kidding, it's Blackfoot clay

Highway song will be their national anthem

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

lol

Better luck next time Montana, I'm sure you'll crack that 1 person/km² barrier one of these days

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I think you'll find that PEI is the BIRTHPLACE of conferderation

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Canada is kind of a strange country in how incoherent it is, even if it's not quite Belgium levels. Besides the obvious linguistic divisions, there seems to be (at least) a split within Anglo-Canada itself, which presumably is the consequence of the geographic division.

I am a highly esteemed geopolitidemosociologist within the goon community, having been quoted (even emptyquoted) many times, and these are my proposals:

Independence for Québec. Come on, just let them have it.

Atlantic Canada will continue on as a miniature Canada, complete with its own francophone minority, as it does seem to have some sort of distinct cultural identity. Their population would barely exceed 2 million, but they could leverage their proximity to the financial centers in the US and the other Canadas into becoming a tax haven. I could also see tourism becoming big, with people flocking to come see 'the real Canada'.

The rest of Anglo-Canada joins the United States. Seriously, there's no difference. They supposedly have their own accent, but I was housemates with a girl from British Columbia for a year back in college, and my non-Anglo ears certainly couldn't tell the difference.
I am aware of the internal differences between the coast/big cities and Alberta/Saskatchewan/small towns, etc., but a similar dynamic already exists in the US.

Trudeau, if you're reading this, you must recognize that my analysis is spot-on. I'll be expecting a statement from you shortly.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

Canada is kind of a strange country in how incoherent it is, even if it's not quite Belgium levels. Besides the obvious linguistic divisions, there seems to be (at least) a split within Anglo-Canada itself, which presumably is the consequence of the geographic division.

I am a highly esteemed geopolitidemosociologist within the goon community, having been quoted (even emptyquoted) many times, and these are my proposals:

Independence for Québec. Come on, just let them have it.

Atlantic Canada will continue on as a miniature Canada, complete with its own francophone minority, as it does seem to have some sort of distinct cultural identity. Their population would barely exceed 2 million, but they could leverage their proximity to the financial centers in the US and the other Canadas into becoming a tax haven. I could also see tourism becoming big, with people flocking to come see 'the real Canada'.

The rest of Anglo-Canada joins the United States. Seriously, there's no difference. They supposedly have their own accent, but I was housemates with a girl from British Columbia for a year back in college, and my non-Anglo ears certainly couldn't tell the difference.
I am aware of the internal differences between the coast/big cities and Alberta/Saskatchewan/small towns, etc., but a similar dynamic already exists in the US.

Trudeau, if you're reading this, you must recognize that my analysis is spot-on. I'll be expecting a statement from you shortly.

Western Canadians definitely have an accent, and it's quite distinct, but very hard to detect for non-native speakers.

That said, we welcome our new Canadian brothers and sisters into the great U S of A, now can we have healthcare too?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
For now it’s probably better to let Canada have fifty new territories

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Canada should have Michigan, the entire West Coast and NYC, maybe the DC as well

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Phlegmish posted:

lol

Better luck next time Montana, I'm sure you'll crack that 1 person/km² barrier one of these days

They're actually at about 2.8/km² - still good for 2nd sparsest state. Once you unlock both USA + Pop Density you'll quickly remember that Alaska is the only US state that's under 1/km².

Mongolia is the lowest actual country at 2/km². The only other territories in the game that are <1 are all in the islands category: Falklands, Svalbard and Greenland. Though there would be more if game included it for non-island territories (Yukon, Nunavut and Yakutia come to mind).

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

HardDiskD posted:

Canada should have Michigan, the entire West Coast and NYC, maybe the DC as well

Why stop at Michigan? Fork over all of the north midwest from Wisconsin to Chicago. Hell, undo the entire Louisiana Purchase so that we can all have TWO Francophone communities!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mister Olympus posted:

Why stop at Michigan? Fork over all of the north midwest from Wisconsin to Chicago. Hell, undo the entire Louisiana Purchase so that we can all have TWO Francophone communities!

There’s probably more french immigrants and french as second language people in that region than Cajun francophones, sorry.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Aren't Cajuns just Quebecois that moved South?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FreudianSlippers posted:

Aren't Cajuns just Quebecois that moved South?

Acadians. The trick is to say acadien in a thick accent.