Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Testvan posted:

No house needs to be flammable or weak to earthquakes or weak to wind.
All are victims to capitalism, the only system where being cheap is a virtue.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Gaia the Earth Mother. lmao

All those people are wrong. There's no soft, gentle, Earth Mother watching over her creations.

We have Gaia the Creator, Queen of Survival. She's not decked in pretty flowers, she's covered in the skins of those species deemed too weak to survive, using the bones of the dead as weapons while watching dispassionately the suffering of those in her stead, for her goal is not gentle cuddling but the honing of the capable and the use of the weak to fuel them.

A lot of art being posted in the weather thread lately

Edit: Not at all sad to have a snipe highlighting two most excellent posts :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I see the weather is 'Silent Hill' today

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That didn't take long

https://twitter.com/EricBurrisWESH/status/1304883514685435904?s=20

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Hopefully it follows the trend of shooting up into the atlantic rather than obliterating me

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

the oregonian says 1 million acres have burned. that's the size of a square that extends from mount jefferson to south sister and west to vida!

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Rauros posted:

the oregonian says 1 million acres have burned. that's the size of a square that extends from mount jefferson to south sister and west to vida!

cool cool cool

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Rauros posted:

that's 70 manhattans, 1/3 a long island, or about 1.5 rhode islands

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
‘Hordes of mosquitoes’ are killing livestock after Hurricane Laura, farmers say

quote:

Two weeks after Hurricane Laura made landfall in Louisiana, swarms of mosquitoes are killing livestock in the area, farmers say.

Farmers in five parishes near where the storm came ashore have lost between 300 and 400 cattle to mosquitoes, Craig Fontenot, a large-animal veterinarian, told the Associated Press.

Vince Deshotel with the Louisiana State University AgCenter said mosquitoes recently killed one of his bulls, adding that he knows of four other people who’ve had cattle die due to the insects.

A deer rancher in the area also reported losing between 30 and 100 animals to mosquitoes — several of which had already been sold, according to the outlet. The rancher said the loss has cost him $100,000.

Mosquitoes can drain blood from livestock, which then keep moving in an attempt to fend off the insects, the AgCenter reported. The animals ultimately get exhausted and can’t get enough oxygen, leading to death, Fontenot told the center.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pfffff. We already have murder hornets. Do better 2020!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
How high can/do mosquitoes fly, how much do telephone poles cost, and how much is screen material per square foot?

No reason . . .

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
A deer... rancher? they reproduce like weeds everywhere in this stupid country

also a mosquito's worst enemy is a stiff breeze, maybe invest in Cow Fans??

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
is 450 good or bad for a PM 2.5

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Korean Boomhauer posted:

its fine ur fine

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

number go up

stack those particles

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Korean Boomhauer posted:

That's about 10 times the daily average in Beijing.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Gunshow Poophole posted:

A deer... rancher? they reproduce like weeds everywhere in this stupid country

also a mosquito's worst enemy is a stiff breeze, maybe invest in Cow Fans??

manly man hunter wants a buck with huge antlers he can mount on his wall but he can't find one. so he goes to a deer ranch and pays to be provided with one to shoot.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

uber_stoat posted:

manly man hunter wants a buck with huge antlers he can mount on his wall but he can't find one. so he goes to a deer ranch and pays to be provided with one to shoot.

i figured this was the answer it's like safari preserves except for the dumbest possible boring animal lmao

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Thesaurus posted:

Hopefully it follows the trend of shooting up into the atlantic rather than obliterating me
The last models I saw have it staying in the open ocean

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

ratbert90 posted:

pfffff. We already have murder hornets. Do better 2020!

would rather be killed by murder hornets than mosquitoes tbqh

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

Also people sometimes want to buy venison, which is perfectly reasonable (can't sell wild animals in the US except fish). The real problem is that deer farms spread CWD to the wild population. It's a prion disease, basically mad cow disease for deer.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

drat that is a helluva way to die

not even mosquito borne illness, literally dying from mosquito bites

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Rah! posted:

number go up

stack those particles

more dots

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

would rather be killed by murder hornets than mosquitoes tbqh

peter thiel has a solution to ur mosquito problem

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

white ppl reinventing igloos but with concrete and pretending theyve solved global warming smh

igloos are made out of white squares

of course karen identifies with them lmao :vince:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

Yeah and all the hunting shows on tv are hunting at these places. I used to get a pretty good lol out of my chud cousins getting excited over some guy blasting Bambi off a pile of feed corn like it was a big accomplishment

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
It is no longer forecast to rain in Vancouver on Monday.

It is brown outside and I have seen no fewer than three dead birds in ten minutes of walking that appear to have just fallen out of the sky. Completely clear visibility is about 25 metres.

Completely normal weather.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Found out like last week that actually almost hunted white tail into extinction in like the 30s

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS

Telsa Cola posted:

Found out like last week that actually almost hunted white tail into extinction in like the 30s

A big reason why selling wild meat is now illegal. Capitalism baby.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Large dust storm in Ankara province, Turkey:
https://twitter.com/parttimekaan/status/1304776782919479296
https://twitter.com/Saido79419037/status/1304944436338667520
https://twitter.com/1parcatuhaftik/status/1304779000875823105
https://twitter.com/devletyolu/status/1304947347110219776

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 02:43 on Sep 13, 2020

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Telsa Cola posted:

Well they're getting their revenge now for sure

I also was not aware of this but am unsurprised

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bonus dust devil in the dust storm:
https://twitter.com/M_AhmetERTRK/status/1304783915136229377

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Zarin posted:

How high can/do mosquitoes fly, how much do telephone poles cost, and how much is screen material per square foot?

No reason . . .

I know you're joking, but take it from me that some reach the 8th floor. I also bought a 100ft roll of window screen for pretty cheap on Amazon. Gotta open those windows when the power goes out after every storm (and at random intervals). Mosquito nets are efficient, but I'm not going to surrender the rest of my apartment

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Is anyone buying electrostatic washable air filters or the weird british high voltage electrostatic standalone ones?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Turkish is such a cool fuckin language

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Korean Boomhauer posted:

so about that

https://twitter.com/HumanistReport/status/1304980061808783360

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/dalykyle/status/1304804333276532737/photo/1

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
dumb tweet, NYC has seen 100+ temps in July since they started recording weather

https://www.weather.gov/media/okx/Climate/Almanacs/nyc/nycjul.pdf

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Korean Boomhauer posted:

You know how the US embassy classified the air quality in Beijing as "crazy bad" years ago? That was 500.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
its been at least 500 since an hr after i made that post and ooo boy breathing is hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene