Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Baron Porkface posted:

Can anyone recommend an up to date deckbuilding guide?

I don't know of any guides to deckbuilding theory that are updated with each set. The best recent introductory ones are My Most Important Deckbuilding Rule, How To Build A Mana Curve, and Building A Mana Base. The most important article ever written about Magic deckbuilding is Finding the Tinker Deck, the theory in it is timeless but it's twenty years old so the card references might not make sense.

A key element of midrange decks is that most of your cards can be both threats and answers; Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath keeps you alive in the early game and is a good win condition too. Aggro decks play a larger portion of pure threats, like Fervent Champion. Control decks play a larger portion of pure answers, like Extinction Event. The line between midrange and control is blurrier this year because Uro is such a good card that midrange, ramp, and control decks are all playing him. But it's always a matter of degree, not a firm difference.

When building a midrange deck, you want to be able to spend your mana efficiently on a bunch of cards that provide an incremental advantage. Play creatures or planeswalkers that can remove your opponent's permanents, and that can win the game if they're left alone for a few turns. If you can, have all of your win conditions work towards the same goal; if half your win conditions deal damage, and half your win conditions mill your opponent, you won't win the game efficiently. Build an even mana curve for maximum efficiency. Your cheapest spells can be disruption like removal, or forcing the opponent to discard a card of your choice. Against aggro decks, you'll outlast them and destroy all of their creatures without running out of cards. Beating control decks is a worse matchup for midrange, but you can beat them by playing your win conditions and disrupting their sweeper spells. There's a simple saying about Magic matchups: You want to be much faster, or slightly slower than your opponent.

Was this helpful? Too basic, or too advanced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I know people are desperately trying to go 'these OTHER "shrieking baboons" are the terrible posters in this thread, not me' but to be clear what happened was that immediately after a conversation about 'how midrange sucks and is awful and i can't believe people wanted it to be back' someone did come in with what appeared to be an honest question, but when I asked for more information (because I was going to answer them honestly) they responded with calling midrange 'a new archetype' & that just felt like moving onto a shitpost in line with the bunch of shitposts that were already happening. it's not fun to spend time and energy on someone who just wanted to take a dump on the thread and move on, and this thread has had too many people do that over the months i've been reading it

also like I don't know why you'd even say that about midrange if you're maintaining that you didn't read the posts talking about midrange decks, but here we are

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm very happy that tef is gone from historic, my GW enchantress deck is now marginally less trash. Most wins still come from a lucky ancestral mask though

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
I'm happy hydroid krasis is rotating out. Green is boring and ruining the game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Dpulex posted:

Just lol if you even look at standard right now when historic is so fun and cool

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

historics great, you can play all sorts of jank and win some games. i've been enjoying vamps and any deck which has obliterator

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dpulex posted:

Green-ghazi aint going away folks

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Love to see ramp die to flood.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Just lol if you even look at standard right now when historic is so fun and cool

Wait. Standard is bad?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Chamale posted:

I don't know of any guides to deckbuilding theory that are updated with each set. The best recent introductory ones are My Most Important Deckbuilding Rule, How To Build A Mana Curve, and Building A Mana Base. The most important article ever written about Magic deckbuilding is Finding the Tinker Deck, the theory in it is timeless but it's twenty years old so the card references might not make sense.

I would say this is the single most important article for deckbuilding: How Many Colored Mana Sources Do You Need to Consistently Cast Your Spells.

As far as eternal deckbuilding, I would suggest giving https://faithlessbrewing.podbean.com/p/episodes-1567865928/ a try. Each week they build a Modern or Pioneer deck around some idea, generally a card from the latest set. I think watching (hearing) people do the thing might be more useful that reading some super generalized article that might be outdated.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

My son likes opening packs (he can play magic but at 5 is a bit young to grasp it all, but really likes the cards) so I occasionally buy boosters. Jumpstart had been great for this, but I was walking past a game store and decided to roll the dice on a Double Masters pack, because I have never bought any masters pack.

My rares were Myr Battlesphere and Open the Vaults. Most valuable card in my $15 pack was a Mishra's Bauble. Never again. Kid can open Ikoria or War of the Spark packs like a respectable gambler.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Has there ever been a card that restricted its maximum number of cards per deck?
So, petitioners goes: "A deck can have any number of cards named Persistent Petitioners."

I am imagining a card that goes "a deck can have only one copy of Bob the unique"

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Oh great, new nissa has landfall

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

VictualSquid posted:

Has there ever been a card that restricted its maximum number of cards per deck?
So, petitioners goes: "A deck can have any number of cards named Persistent Petitioners."

I am imagining a card that goes "a deck can have only one copy of Bob the unique"

Legends used to be restricted to one copy per deck when they were introduced.

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.

VictualSquid posted:

1996 World Champion and Shichifukujin Dragon

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Seven Dwarves.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

odiv posted:

Seven Dwarves.

7 is smaller then 4, checks out.

Dinosaur Satan posted:

1996 World Champion and Shichifukujin Dragon

Those don't have restriction text printed on them.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

VictualSquid posted:

You didn’t specify a maximum less than 4

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The look on LSV's face when Nassif landed that Witch's Oven was loving amazing.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

VictualSquid posted:

They don't like the idea since 'did you draw your one-of' is a higher level of variance than they think is good for the game.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

VictualSquid posted:

the joke is that only one of each exist

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

lol

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Some Goon posted:

They don't like the idea since 'did you draw your one-of' is a higher level of variance than they think is good for the game.

And theyre right

If youve ever played YuGiOh youd see this in action. Every 40 card deck has 10-20 literally immutable restricted cards that must be in, and most games are "did I draw my busted cards first"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

And theyre right

If youve ever played YuGiOh youd see this in action. Every 40 card deck has 10-20 literally immutable restricted cards that must be in, and most games are "did I draw my busted cards first"

eeeeeh it used to be like this but modern yugioh is more archetype focused which has its own problems don't get me wrong but generally means that while archetype decks are homogenous to themselves, two different deck archetypes probably don't share that many cards

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

You don't have to lash out just because you didn't think of it. Seven Dwarves can and does restrict the number of copies people can play in a deck.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

flatluigi posted:

I know people are desperately trying to go 'these OTHER "shrieking baboons" are the terrible posters in this thread, not me' but to be clear what happened was that immediately after a conversation about 'how midrange sucks and is awful and i can't believe people wanted it to be back' someone did come in with what appeared to be an honest question, but when I asked for more information (because I was going to answer them honestly) they responded with calling midrange 'a new archetype' & that just felt like moving onto a shitpost in line with the bunch of shitposts that were already happening. it's not fun to spend time and energy on someone who just wanted to take a dump on the thread and move on, and this thread has had too many people do that over the months i've been reading it

also like I don't know why you'd even say that about midrange if you're maintaining that you didn't read the posts talking about midrange decks, but here we are

You are the last person to lecture ANY of us about thus right now, I would move on.

Baron porkface you make a good comparison of uro to goyf, they just make anything in their colors better and they pull you in one kind of direction or another like more card types to end up in your gy for goyf.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don’t think it’s a good comparison at all tbh, there are plenty of Green decks that have no interest in Goyf, but I can’t imagine a UG deck that doesn’t want Uro.

Something kind of neat about the 1C cycle of “broken” cards is that despite only being in one colour and being very powerful, they’re not mandatory includes in decks of their colours. I feel like I see a lot more Uros in Modern than I do any of the cycle tbh.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Bust Rodd posted:

Is he the guy who beat his girlfriend?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jesus Christ can’t you people be normal lol.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

RC Cola posted:

Is he the guy who beat his girlfriend?

No, he's the guy who left his wife and newborn daughter for a Magic streamer.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

PleasantDirge posted:

You are the last person to lecture ANY of us about thus right now, I would move on.

PleasantDirge posted:

You obviously don't notice because you just poo poo wherever you are when you have to go but a reliable source for spoilers that doesn't have wizards up their rear end because of jug heads like you is pretty sweet actually and the fact that I have to spoon feed you that is proof you still belong at the kiddy table you gently caress faced terror tot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

case in point

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Quiet, all of you.

They're approaching the tyrannosaur paddock.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

fadam posted:

I don’t think it’s a good comparison at all tbh, there are plenty of Green decks that have no interest in Goyf, but I can’t imagine a UG deck that doesn’t want Uro.

Something kind of neat about the 1C cycle of “broken” cards is that despite only being in one colour and being very powerful, they’re not mandatory includes in decks of their colours. I feel like I see a lot more Uros in Modern than I do any of the cycle tbh.

Out of them, Stoneforge is only good if you’re running enough good equipment, Dark Confidant wants a lower mana curve deck, Goyf only really stands out in midrange these days , Young Pyromancer needs a ton of spells to work with, and even Snapcaster Mage loses a lot of value without running a good number of low cmc instants or sorcerers to flashback with it.

Uro probably doesn’t make the cut in a UG aggro deck if one somehow comes into existence, but why bother with UG aggro when Uro exists anyways?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I play 4 stoneforge with 1 batterskull in my deck, sometimes a sword, it doesn’t need a lot of equipment

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

the Orb of Zot posted:

Out of them, Stoneforge is only good if you’re running enough good equipment, Dark Confidant wants a lower mana curve deck, Goyf only really stands out in midrange these days , Young Pyromancer needs a ton of spells to work with, and even Snapcaster Mage loses a lot of value without running a good number of low cmc instants or sorcerers to flashback with it.

Uro probably doesn’t make the cut in a UG aggro deck if one somehow comes into existence, but why bother with UG aggro when Uro exists anyways?

the original R1 card that was so good it got banned before the rest of the "cycle" got printed, Goblin Recruiter, was only good in a goblin deck

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah Uro has no deckbuilding restriction at all, and it generates every resource in the game multiple times. It just literally does everything by itself.

Like we did this back when Oko was around but a deck with 56 land and 4 Uro can still win games. That’s wild.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

flatluigi posted:

case in point

As soon as you catch me telling anyone to be nice, you have a point there doofus.

Fadam I'm not saying goyf is better than Uro just that it's a decent comparison so new guy here doesn't think we are all insane two faced failed abortions.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PleasantDirge posted:

As soon as you catch me telling anyone to be nice, you have a point there doofus.

Fadam I'm not saying goyf is better than Uro just that it's a decent comparison so new guy here doesn't think we are all insane two faced failed abortions.

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=27251&d=414509&f=LE In fact here is a list from a very good deck that plays goyfs but no Uros

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Magic E-sports Twitter is going weird

https://twitter.com/magicesports/status/1304890848820121600?s=21

https://twitter.com/shoop_hs/status/1304957141355241472?s=21

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bust Rodd posted:

I assume this is all on twitch? What's the channel name