Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I'm sure Doom 3 will make approved ssds a requirement for the pc version.

I know you mean Doom 3 as in the third after Doom 2016 and Eternal because my old mind read that as Doom 3 (2004) and that game was drat optimized even for the time.

Well, I'll take the id dev's word because we already know what happened when you release an underpowered console (Xbox360 and PS3) when making new games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Guillermus posted:

I know you mean Doom 3 as in the third after Doom 2016 and Eternal because my old mind read that as Doom 3 (2004) and that game was drat optimized even for the time.

Well, I'll take the id dev's word because we already know what happened when you release an underpowered console (Xbox360 and PS3) when making new games.

Doom 64 is the real Doom 3.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Vikar Jerome posted:

department store in spain might have leaked the price, or its a placeholder.

its the bottom two, in code names. 499 euros for the disc and 399 for no disc.

Placeholders. But probably have a pretty good chance of ending up being right.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I am absolutely convinced the digital version will be $100usd cheaper minimum.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

I am absolutely convinced the digital version will be $100usd cheaper minimum.

They gonna have to price drop PS4, because slims are $299 minimum still, and due to covid probably more like $350

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I agree but was sadly locked as N64 exclusive for years until the same guy that made the port to PC/PS4/Xbone made Doom64EX on PC.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Agreed, cos doom 3 is actually doom 0.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

An external ssd turns the load times in Marvel's Avengers into almost nothing... until you have to matchmake with everyone else.

lol

acksplode
May 17, 2004

bows1 posted:

SOR4 is decent but I don’t get the “deep” combat system even after watching some YouTube videos. 2 buttons basically and the moves don’t really change even with directional combinations?

Seedge posted:

Attack, jump attack, special, jump special, forward special, grab, throw, back attack, star attack, charge attacks. Yep. 2 buttons basically but a lot of variety possible!

Yeah the depth is in choosing from your broad array of intricate attacks to manage mobs and chain big combos. You also need to use attack iframes for defense because you don't have defensive moves like block or dodge. (Neutral special is is the closest thing you have to a block button.) The game doesn't give you much health, so you'll hit brick walls early on that force you to replay stages and figure out how to exploit the combat, and then the depth will be apparent.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
If Series X and PS5 have very similar hardware specs, PS5 is most likely going to be similarly priced as the X at $499. Of course this is assuming that Microsoft did not find incredible cost saving measures for basically the same specs as PS5.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Storm One posted:

The CPU is the same on the SSbox as in the others

The CPU is technically the same but it’s underclocked in the XSS. I’m assuming it’s the same as Intel/AMD do for their desktop chips. When a batch of processors is made, they’re tested for reliability/stability. Chips that perform well are sold as the higher clocked, higher end model, while ones that perform worse are lower clocked and sold as the cheaper models.

Although it’s likely the exact same CPU architecture in the XSX and XSS, the CPU in the XSS can’t perform at the same level as the XSX.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

so where in the Star Wars timeline does Dune take place

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yo I watched the Dune trailer that looks siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Star Wars takes place a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Dune takes place in our galaxy about 20,000 years from now

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i wonder who has the game license for dune

i also wonder if we'll ever get another dune strategy game because holy poo poo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Good question. Pretty much every company that was ever involved with a Dune game is defunct except for EA

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Playing through the Arkham series again and it's help up pretty well. The first game is a really tight experience and I don't any of the sequels quite match it its quality. The Riddler trophies went from a fun way to extend Asylum to just overwhelming you in City (440!) The "remasters" make the environments look pretty great but the character models look pretty shabby.

And boy in general the character designs...real bunch of thicc bois hanging out in Gotham back then. BEEFY

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I saw a headline for the PS5 event and got really happy because it looked like a black PS5, but then I watched the attached video and it's just a white one in the shadows.

I dunno, it hurted.

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

el oso posted:

Playing through the Arkham series again and it's help up pretty well. The first game is a really tight experience and I don't any of the sequels quite match it its quality. The Riddler trophies went from a fun way to extend Asylum to just overwhelming you in City (440!) The "remasters" make the environments look pretty great but the character models look pretty shabby.

And boy in general the character designs...real bunch of thicc bois hanging out in Gotham back then. BEEFY

I think it was a limitation of the Unreal engine at the time. Every male body type had to be a Gears of War meat slab.

I also just replayed the Arkham remasters and I agree some of the updated character design work looks a bit rough, particularly some of the minor NPCs. And while the updated environments look sharper, the new lighting engine kinda of flattens some of the environments which used to have more dramatic shadows, but maybe I'm just misremembering. But overall the games still play well, even with all the Riddler trophies everywhere.

Enjoyed going back both of them and I'm thinking about replaying Arkham Knight, but then I remember all the car stuff. Man, they really overstuffed that game, hope the new one with the multiplayer is a bit more streamlined.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
missin those unreal beefboys

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Also in Dune gaming consoles are forebidden. If you wanna play a vidja game, you have to go to some dude who drinks some stuff (for example "the juice of mario" if you wanna play mario) and then tells you the game, like a textbook adventure.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Yo I watched the Dune trailer that looks siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Probably not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOemQuy2JUc

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Good question. Pretty much every company that was ever involved with a Dune game is defunct except for EA

EA probably has it, since they consumed Westwood.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

See the vid I posted, it goes into the rights clusterfuck.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
the short answer is: tencent has the rights to the new stuff so something will probably get made but certainly not a westwood RTS.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ah yes, Dune Spice Rancher for Mobile, buy 10 Spice Crystals (to be able progress in-game faster than a sand dune moves IRL) for 9.99!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

the short answer is: tencent has the rights to the new stuff so something will probably get made but certainly not a westwood RTS.

How did they end up with them?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I'm guessing they drove a dump truck full of cash up to the legendary films office

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Correct.

See timestamped vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOemQuy2JUc&t=903s

EA has no property rights, just some rights to some residual code work. Dune games were all made under license of the film, not the book, then De Laurentis had them, and then they reverted to the family estate who say they want nothing to do with reviving the old games.

New games will again be licensed off the new movie, not the book, and yeah they are in tencent's hands.

The old games are lost. :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

bows1 posted:

SOR4 is decent but I don’t get the “deep” combat system even after watching some YouTube videos. 2 buttons basically and the moves don’t really change even with directional combinations?

There's a lot of complexity to the inputs, timing, and positioning that really allows someone to master the combat from just button mashing through Normal to stringing together 100+ hit OOTW combos on Mania. Just as one example, Blaze's typical midscreen combo is 3-hit light attack, pause, 3-hit light attack -> blitz -> neutral jump kick -> air special -> air special. Just mashing square won't get the job done. There are also a ton of infinites, juggles and wallbounce combos that require very specific timing from character to character. Simple tools, difficult to master. This is why Streets of Rage 4 is so good!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe it's just a series tradition that I'm not familiar with, but why does Blaze seem to get a "free" special attack, in that overhead kick?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Every character in SOR4 has a blitz attack (forward forward square) special.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Euphoriaphone posted:

The CPU is technically the same but it’s underclocked in the XSS.

X = 3.8 (3.66 SMT)
S = 3.6 (3.4 SMT)
pS5 = capped at 3.5 (can go below to satisfy power constraints but never above)

So the underpowered S is worst case running at 3% less clock speed and at best at higher clocks then the PS5 (I understand clocks are meaningless if they're not exactly the same CPU otherwise but if anything I'd expect the Xbox to have the more powerful cores, don't know either way though).

Higher than even the 360 and PS3 CPUs, except now it's an out-of-order, desktop class chip about on par with the state of the art in the architechture everyone is used to developing for. Let's not even compare them to the bargain bin laptop parts on the Bone/PS4.

Now if you tell me that the S cores are gimped in some way other than clocks that will meaningfully impact gameplay not only on S but by development practicalities on the bigger cousins as well, then you've convinced me that the S is not such a good idea after all. Until then, yay headroom :toot:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The S is going to be fine. It will take some more effort by developers, but there's always something - and I really can't see it as anything but a good thing for consumers to have more options.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

I saw a headline for the PS5 event and got really happy because it looked like a black PS5, but then I watched the attached video and it's just a white one in the shadows.

I dunno, it hurted.

Same. After I saw some articles with that as the lede image I had to watch the teaser trailer to see if it was really an all black console. It’s really a shame they aren’t offering one.

Storm One posted:

So the underpowered S is worst case running at 3% less clock speed and at best at higher clocks then the PS5 (I understand clocks are meaningless if they're not exactly the same CPU otherwise but if anything I'd expect the Xbox to have the more powerful cores, don't know either way though).

I’m not an engineer so I can’t give an expert opinion, but my understanding is the main weakness on the XSS is the RAM. Even if there’s headroom in the CPU to make up for the XSS’s shortcomings compared to the XOX, unless the S sells Switch levels of units, then devs aren’t going to put in the effort for the workarounds

Euphoriaphone fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 13, 2020

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe it's just a series tradition that I'm not familiar with, but why does Blaze seem to get a "free" special attack, in that overhead kick?

It's basically a dash attack, each character has one. They aren't as invulnerable or wide reaching usually, but I play Adam mostly and he has a little mini dash and it's great to dash all over the place and end it with his dash punch

Fun game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Even though people don't want to admit it, reading most of these posts, it's pretty obvious that all of the handwringing over the S is based in some alarmist logic of "XBOX X games must also run on XBOX S, therefore PS5 games, PC games must run on Xbox S...The gaming industry as a whole will be throttled!!!" which is completely ridiculous.

MS offering a very affordable option to push their subscription service is actually a pretty smart move and exactly what they should be doing right now because game pass is the best thing they have going.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 13, 2020

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I don’t think people don’t want to admit it?

I explicitly think the XSS is bad because it will encourage developers to target the lowest spec system. Even if devs don’t target it outright, it’s crappy of MS to force studios to figure out how to make their games work on gimped hardware. If MS wanted to get a box in people’s homes just to push game pass, they could have released a $30 Xbox dongle.

https://twitter.com/zhugeex/status/1304957416514228224?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What? Why would that be implied it makes no sense.

If you want to rationalize why it’s a good decision to yourself that’s whatever but don’t make up other people’s arguments to ow them