Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Does anyone have a list of expected online retailers for 3080 FEs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

If performance gain being due to tdp increases holds down the stack, does not bode well for laptop gpus.

Like most laptop 2080s are limited to 150w lol

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Kingnothing posted:

(no)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MarcusSA posted:

I’m too old to dick around with OCing at this point.

I’ll take whatever I can get out of the box and I don’t feel like I need those few extra frames.

I certainly don’t want to spend the time to find the best OC where my poo poo doesn’t crash. I just wanna log on and game.

:same:

Overclocking is nice but nowadays it’s mostly just enthusiasts going after high scores. Only thing I’ve done on my newest rig (3700X/2070S) was increasing power limits & removing or changing CPU throttling so it can consistently boost to its rated speeds.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

BOOTY-ADE posted:

:same:

Overclocking is nice but nowadays it’s mostly just enthusiasts going after high scores. Only thing I’ve done on my newest rig (3700X/2070S) was increasing power limits & removing or changing CPU throttling so it can consistently boost to its rated speeds.

Yeah I'm thinking about toning down my OC on my 9700K because Jesus Christ that power draw and how you basically have to turn off energy efficiency settings to get a stable system

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

repiv posted:

video motion vectors are only a guess though, compared to the exactly computed ones that renderers emit, plus there's no subpixel jittering to work from

i think the distinction between renderers point-sampling each pixel and videos taking an area sample also matters when designing upscalers

Is there someone in here who does game dev work and can accurately say how much is involved with DLSS implementation? I know people say that the new version is easier than before to implement but is it a relatively trivial amount of work during game dev or is it something you need Nvidia to hand you a wad of cash for it to be worthwhile in terms of adding to production time.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

MikeC posted:

Is there someone in here who does game dev work and can accurately say how much is involved with DLSS implementation? I know people say that the new version is easier than before to implement but is it a relatively trivial amount of work during game dev or is it something you need Nvidia to hand you a wad of cash for it to be worthwhile in terms of adding to production time.

Details about things like this are always covered by NDAs and the info you’re looking for won’t ever be made public unless there’s an agreement between the parties to publicize it.

Source: I work for a game dev company who implemented DLSS in a title

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

OhFunny posted:

Any thoughts on what they'll do with it?

Cellphones with a 3090 taped to the back for PUBG

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Cellphones with a 3090 taped to the back for PUBG

air cooling wins again!

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

OhFunny posted:

Nvidia nears deal to buy chip designer Arm for more than $40 billion - sources

Looks like nvidia will indeed buy ARM. Any thoughts on what they'll do with it? I'm thinking some type of one-in-all for cars and maybe try to compete with AMD and Intel in the datacenter.

ps6 will be arm and nvidia.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Malcolm XML posted:

Thinking on it this is a very good move for nVidia. Tegra has two uses: Switch and streaming sticks. It is sub-scale. But if nVidia makes the standard ARM SoC use Geforce it has turned the standard ARM SoC into Tegra. Thus everyone else pays it to develop the combo and it embeds Geforce everywhere giving nVidia the scale advantage it needs to combat radeon in upcoming Samsung phones and consoles. AMD benefits a lot from being the default there.

Presumably the ARM partner team will take over the partner integrations and not suck as in the past but who knows with Jensen.

$40 billion is a vanity sum to assuage Softbank investors that Son wasn't a complete moron (lmao) but Softbank already has an investment in nVidia that's paid off pretty well

do you NVIDIA will be willing to license GeForce IP as a SIP block like that?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol consoles aren't going to go back to non-x86 CPUs

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Am I an idiot for having put a pre order on an Asus ROG Strix OC 3080 for 800€?

I am upgrading from a 1060 6GB. Plan on running 1440p multi monitor (currently on 1080p multis).

My reasoning for the pre-order:
-price vs FE (719€ here)
-ability to lock in my purchase right now and not worry about it
-worried about availability of the cards if I dont act NOW (capitalism!)
-worried that if I miss the first wave, the eventual restock (2nd wave) will have a price increase

I would probably be well served by a FE, since I'm not aiming for a particular aesthetic (and my build is mostly gray/black anyways). I'm not looking to overclock, or watercool. I just have never bought a FE/directly from the nvidia shop before, and this purchase being made through amazon makes me a bit more confident I can deal with customer service easily.

So, huge moron? Or decent buy strategy?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i wouldn't overthink it if the money isn't an issue.

only questions are if you're on a crappy CPU, you'll be bottlenecked by that at 1440p and isn't there a rumor that all non-TUF Asus cards are delayed

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

I am upgrading from a 1060 6GB. Plan on running 1440p multi monitor (currently on 1080p multis).

-price vs FE (719€ here)
-worried that if I miss the first wave, the eventual restock (2nd wave) will have a price increase

I would probably be well served by a FE, since I'm not aiming for a particular aesthetic (and my build is mostly gray/black anyways). I'm not looking to overclock, or watercool. I just have never bought a FE/directly from the nvidia shop before, and this purchase being made through amazon makes me a bit more confident I can deal with customer service easily.

ComputerBase.de had it at €925 so I'd say you've made a bargain if true.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
I'm on an R5 3600 so no issue there afaik.

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B08HN7VVLJ/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1X6FK5RDHNB96&psc=1
Is where I got the preorder locked in. It's for the OC version though, actually came in at 30€ more.

Card being delayed isn't an issue, at first I wanted to wait for black Friday deals but the hype around the ampere launch has me worried about stocks/pricing increases. 800€ for that performance is a good price after the Turing fiasco..

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Number19 posted:

Details about things like this are always covered by NDAs and the info you’re looking for won’t ever be made public unless there’s an agreement between the parties to publicize it.

Source: I work for a game dev company who implemented DLSS in a title

Won't we see it in the open source Unreal implementation?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

Yeah I'm thinking about toning down my OC on my 9700K because Jesus Christ that power draw and how you basically have to turn off energy efficiency settings to get a stable system

The only reason why I don't overclock my 9900k is because of the heat it generates. It heats my case up so much, which makes my nvidia card downclock more

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rabid Snake posted:

The only reason why I don't overclock my 9900k is because of the heat it generates. It heats my case up so much, which makes my nvidia card downclock more

Y'all should look into open-air case. Buy one of those $30 plug-in air blasters (which you should own anyway) and blast all the dust out of them once a month or so and you're golden.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

Won't we see it in the open source Unreal implementation?

You can already check out Nvidia's UE4 branch source code and see how the DLSS hooks fit into the engine if you want

https://github.com/NvRTX/UnrealEngine (requires UE4 source access but that's trivial to get)

It's getting a key from Nvidia to actually make DLSS work that's the hard part

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Paul MaudDib posted:

do you NVIDIA will be willing to license GeForce IP as a SIP block like that?

Only Jensen knows! They can always license it as a black-box.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Rabid Snake posted:

This is why I like cpu rad as top case exhaustion.

If you have current gen hardware most likely your gpu is the thing 100% loaded up, not the cpu. Give the gpu the fresh air, the cpu is fine with case air if you have decent ventilation.

And you have room for a big rear end gpu. :)

shrike82 posted:

i wouldn't overthink it if the money isn't an issue.

only questions are if you're on a crappy CPU, you'll be bottlenecked by that at 1440p and isn't there a rumor that all non-TUF Asus cards are delayed

Shoot, I like ASUS but I think the TUF cards aren’t their beefiest.

Any other good looking 3080 cooler designs out there?

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 13, 2020

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Kingnothing posted:

Mwave only in Australia, they signed an exclusivity contract

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

-price vs FE (719€ here)

Seems really good to me tbh.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
How can I try to better understand when any GPU will become CPU bottlenecked? Benchmarks show this generally happens at 1080p6 0Hz, whereas at higher resolutions and framerates the GPU begins to be the performance bottleneck.

But I want hard numbers, not just the general truth above. Is there a good way to find out when a CPU will bottleneck a GPU other than simply looking for benchmarks at high resolutions? (These are frustratingly rare, and obviously don't exist at all for the 30 series right now.)

Basically, I am still going in circles over which CPU to pair a 30 series card with to avoid throttling it when using it for 3840x1600 @ 144Hz. Does a high-mid tier CPU like the i5 10600K cut it, or do I need to be looking at the primo CPUs which cost twice as much?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

-price vs FE (719€ here)

Decent buy but I seriously doubt you'll be seeing it ship next week. AFAIK none of the top tier custom PCB AIB cards are going to launch on the 17th.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

How can I try to better understand when any GPU will become CPU bottlenecked? Benchmarks show this generally happens at 1080p6 0Hz, whereas at higher resolutions and framerates the GPU begins to be the performance bottleneck.

But I want hard numbers, not just the general truth above. Is there a good way to find out when a CPU will bottleneck a GPU other than simply looking for benchmarks at high resolutions? (These are frustratingly rare, and obviously don't exist at all for the 30 series right now.)

Basically, I am still going in circles over which CPU to pair a 30 series card with to avoid throttling it when using it for 3840x1600 @ 144Hz. Does a high-mid tier CPU like the i5 10600K cut it, or do I need to be looking at the primo CPUs which cost twice as much?

You'll only know in your system when the CPU is pegged at 100% but the GPU isn't being fully utilized

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

TBH this hasn't been an issue yet. Like if you watch the DF MSFS2020 video there is some CPU bottle necking in that video but as long as you are on a more current gen CPU like the i5 you should be fine.

This could change but it seems like that chip would be ok.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I looked at some benchmark data online and that CPU is roughly equivalent to the i7-9700k I have in my computer and I haven’t even been close to CPU bound on 1440p benchmarks with a 2070S. The only time I’ve managed to max the CPU is when I blow something up in Hardspace Shipbreaker and there’s a million physics objects interacting, and that game isn’t done being optimized yet.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's been covered, but CPU utilization is basically set by the game and there's little to nothing you can do about it, whereas GPU usage is determined by resolution and graphics settings. If you want to know which will be the limiting factor in a given title your options are to a. Compare CPU and GPU benchmarks, whichever is lower is what you'll get, though review sites nearly always benchmark at max graphics settings so you can improve GPU performance by turning some down, or b. Running a performance monitor while you run said game / application and seeing which one is maxed out.

There's always going to be a limiting factor in your system. It's historically been viewed that it's better it be limited by your GPU since it's a more expensive part that gets changed often but if the numbers you get are close enough to your monitors refresh rate, I say eh, personally.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The higher the FPS, the more your CPU comes into play.

CPU bottlenecking is most easily detected at low resolutions and high fps, that's why when some sites do CPU tests, they do like 720p 3d game tests to see how high the FPS goes.

By most easily detected, I mean that you could upgrade a graphics card and see a fairly negligible improvement to FPS because the CPU can't 'keep up' ie you're maxxing the CPU but the GPU has not yet been maxxed out.

The higher your resolution, the less your CPU matters to the overall FPS (as you become GPU limited).

So if you have a 1080p 240hz monitor but you're running pentium dual core and you want to hit that refresh, yeah, you're probably going to be bottlenecked.

But if you've got a 4k60 tv then it'll still matter, but the delta will shrink.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 13, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If lowering your resolution no longer yields more FPS, that's as much as your CPU can give.

If you're already at the resolution and quality settings that you like, but you're not getting the FPS you want, and lowering the resolution doesn't increase your FPS anymore, then it's your CPU that's holding you back.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, I think I'm gonna wait for the 3080Ti or the 7nm or better process. One more card for y'all.

Maybe I'll snag a 3070Ti as an interim card.

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I think I'm gonna wait for the 3080Ti or the 7nm or better process. One more card for y'all.

I know what you're doing, you won't get me to cancel my preorder!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You're going to wait for a made up card or you're going to snag a made up card as an interim card, makes sense

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Taima posted:

You're going to wait for a made up card or you're going to snag a made up card as an interim card, makes sense

:hmmyes:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

waiting for the super refresh isn't a bad idea if you don't feel the need to upgrade

there's quite a large continent of posters here, on reddit/r/nvidia, and on resetera that have gotten hyped up by the online enthusiast crowd where they're gunning for day 1 purchases where they would have otherwise been quite happy waiting

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

shrike82 posted:

waiting for the super refresh isn't a bad idea if you don't feel the need to upgrade

there's quite a large continent of posters here, on reddit/r/nvidia, and on resetera that have gotten hyped up by the online enthusiast crowd where they're gunning for day 1 purchases where they would have otherwise been quite happy waiting

I've cooled down after the initial hype and realizing that my 1080Ti still handles 1440p at max just fine and the one game I play it doesn't is poorly optimized CPU wise so that's really the biggest issue.

I'll wait a month or two and see how things shake out.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Shipon posted:

I've cooled down after the initial hype and realizing that my 1080Ti still handles 1440p at max just fine and the one game I play it doesn't is poorly optimized CPU wise so that's really the biggest issue.

I'll wait a month or two and see how things shake out.

Life is different on a 1070. My wait is finally over.

I hope I can max boardlands 3 at 144hz 1440p with a 5.0ghz 9600k and a 3080.

Currently at like 80fps on medium lol.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Same, I’ve been on this 1070Ti for a while now and I’m in a position to afford a 3080 easily. I’m doin’ it.

Also Cyberpunk 2077.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

spunkshui posted:

Life is different on a 1070. My wait is finally over.

I hope I can max boardlands 3 at 144hz 1440p with a 5.0ghz 9600k and a 3080.

Currently at like 80fps on medium lol.

On a 1080Ti but 1440p ultrawide so yeah. That and I tend to upgrade every other generation when it comes to GPUs