Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

TobinHatesYou posted:

Clean your drivetrain while you’re at it.

That is my speed dirt, its aerodynamic you see.

kimbo305 posted:

Pretty sure that’s a 25:
https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hanger-25.html
But only in stock at their ripoff rival:
https://derailleurhanger.com/product/derailleur-hanger-25/

A hanger is one of the rare places where I feel like a weaker product would be ok/preferred.

If you want to sort through:
https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hangers.html

I got two from the second link, so thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Doing a quick check here. I just got new wheels so I'm going through the process of setting them up. I normally ride a 11-28T cassette on the trainer and the bike, but I have a spare 11-25T cassette that I'd like to wear out. I want to slap the 11-25T on the trainer so I can have 11-28s on this wheelset and my older wheels too.

Shimano posted:

11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25-28T
11-12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25T

Am I right in thinking that my RD wouldn't present issues with the 11-25T for the first 5 cogs, and after that, the chain might start to rub and skip etc so I'd most likely have to adjust my RD?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
At best going from a 28 to a 25 you don't need to do anything. At worst you should only need to back the B screw off a bit. Any barrel adjustments swapping between trainer and wheel would be the same regardless.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Alright, thanks. I didn't want to go through all of the trouble if it meant more fiddling down the road.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

This is strange. Should the inner tube be this much bigger than the tire?

Granted, last time I ever changed a tire was like eight years ago. I’m getting back into cycling after eight years.

Bike is a circa 2009 Trek 1.2

Update: also, this tube is also too big for the rim.

Dolemite fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 10, 2020

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Tubes stretch and expand when you inflate them, they get really big if there is no tire to contain them. If you deflate you'll see it's the same size as your tire/rim

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

FireTora posted:

Tubes stretch and expand when you inflate them, they get really big if there is no tire to contain them. If you deflate you'll see it's the same size as your tire/rim

You were right! Once I got to mounting the tire, everything fit!

One down, one to go.
—-

Now, I’m running into a problem on the second install. The inner tube and both beads of the tire are on the rim. But, the tube never inflates.

I’m assuming that maybe I punctured the inner tube? The beads on these Michelin Pro 4s are VERY difficult, so I had to use tire levers near the end.

Edit: Crud, there was a pinhole air leak in the tube. Good thing I bought a spare...

Dolemite fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 10, 2020

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Two independent problems that the bike shop near me has said they have solved twice, but haven't. bike is under a month old and I'm going to lose my mind if I cant get it fixed

1. 2x setup when im on the big cog in front and in the middle on the rear cassette, my chain will refuse to stay in gear. skipping might be the right word but its more like it just keeps trying to shift over and over. it doesnt happen all the time, but it happens and sounds like im wrecking my drivetrain

2. when I am in pedaling pretty hard in the bottom two gears on the rear cassette I get what sounds like a frog croaking on the right downstroke.

apologies if I dont even know the right words to describe my problems, im very noob when it comes to actually doing this stuff.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Goddamnit, the extra inner tube has a leak, too. I can’t tell if this is my doing, or the factory.

Only one out of the three didn’t have this issue. But again, I had to use tire levers to get the last part of the bead on.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Time posted:

1. 2x setup when im on the big cog in front and in the middle on the rear cassette, my chain will refuse to stay in gear. skipping might be the right word but its more like it just keeps trying to shift over and over.
Does this happen only when pedaling hard or even with soft pedaling? Was your chain replaced recently without changing back gears? Can you tell if it is trying to shift off your front or back gears?

Time posted:

2. when I am in pedaling pretty hard in the bottom two gears on the rear cassette
Bottom two as in lowest two gears or smallest two gears?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

CopperHound posted:

Does this happen only when pedaling hard or even with soft pedaling? Was your chain replaced recently without changing back gears? Can you tell if it is trying to shift off your front or back gears?

Bottom two as in lowest two gears or smallest two gears?

1. soft and hard pedaling. I dont think they replaced my chain, I'll ride it at lunch and see if its trying to shift

2. two smallest rings, the highest speed gears I have

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Dolemite posted:

I had to use tire levers to get the last part of the bead on.
This is kind of an advanced procedure that is easy to gently caress up. Try you best without a tire lever and see if you can get your hands on a bike tire bead jack if you absolutely cannot do it by hand.

When trying again by hand, save the spot with the valve for last and try to get some slack by squeezing the tire toward the center of your rim profile.

Before inflating pull back on the bead all the way around the tire to make sure no tube is pinched between tire and rim. If there is some stuck at the valve, just push the stem down some to free it up.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Time posted:

Two independent problems that the bike shop near me has said they have solved twice, but haven't. bike is under a month old and I'm going to lose my mind if I cant get it fixed

1. 2x setup when im on the big cog in front and in the middle on the rear cassette, my chain will refuse to stay in gear. skipping might be the right word but its more like it just keeps trying to shift over and over. it doesnt happen all the time, but it happens and sounds like im wrecking my drivetrain

Sometimes, the bike will shift perfectly on the bike stand but when you're riding it under load, the stresses on the frame bend it slightly which can mess up the gear/shifter indexing. It's weird that it's happening in the middle of the cassette though. Usually happens around the top or bottom. Try a couple turns on the rear shifter barrel adjuster one way or the other. Otherwise, could be a bent rear derailleur hanger.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

CopperHound posted:

When trying again by hand, save the spot with the valve for last and try to get some slack by squeezing the tire toward the center of your rim profile.

Before inflating pull back on the bead all the way around the tire to make sure no tube is pinched between tire and rim. If there is some stuck at the valve, just push the stem down some to free it up.

I was always taught to do the opposite- the valve is the first spot you get the bead on and the last spot where you may need a tire lever should be roughly 180° from the valve. Is there a reason to do the valve side last?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

spf3million posted:

Sometimes, the bike will shift perfectly on the bike stand but when you're riding it under load, the stresses on the frame bend it slightly which can mess up the gear/shifter indexing. It's weird that it's happening in the middle of the cassette though. Usually happens around the top or bottom. Try a couple turns on the rear shifter barrel adjuster one way or the other. Otherwise, could be a bent rear derailleur hanger.

I'm going to feel like a complete dolt if its the barrel adjuster because I think I know how its happening - I store my bike upstairs in my house and the back wheel bumps down each individual step

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Bike is a REI ADV 3.1 from circa 2017-2018. Link Question, this front brake is flat mount correct?

Looking to replace the caliper with https://www.yokozunausa.com/shop/product/yokozuna-ultimo-road-disc-brake-post-mount-2190

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
that’s a post mount, what you linked to is also a post mount

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm smrt you see. :downs:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Your current brake is post mount. The caliper you listed is post mount. That’s an expensive caliper. The HY/RDs can be had a lot cheaper if you’re wanting the hybrid mech discs

E: should have refreshed

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

a loathsome bird posted:

I was always taught to do the opposite- the valve is the first spot you get the bead on and the last spot where you may need a tire lever should be roughly 180° from the valve. Is there a reason to do the valve side last?

Doing the valve edge last allows the opposite side of the wheel to sit in the middle of the center channel and provide a few mm more slack. If you start at the valve, it can't do that and it'll be more difficult to get that final piece over the rim.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Time posted:

I'm going to feel like a complete dolt if its the barrel adjuster because I think I know how its happening - I store my bike upstairs in my house and the back wheel bumps down each individual step

With a normal amount of cable tension, that should settle out eventually, like after a few stair trips, all the looseness will propagate to the RD alignment and can be dialed out with the adjuster. If it happens again, something else might be going on.

I’d double check the clamp on the shifter cable is tight enough. But not crushing the cable apart.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

kimbo305 posted:

With a normal amount of cable tension, that should settle out eventually, like after a few stair trips, all the looseness will propagate to the RD alignment and can be dialed out with the adjuster. If it happens again, something else might be going on.

I’d double check the clamp on the shifter cable is tight enough. But not crushing the cable apart.

thanks! I'll check that

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
I bought a Shimano 11 speed chain, the Deore/Ultegra level one. It came with a master link. Can I use one of the 11 speed connector pins instead on this chain? From my Google results, it looks like you can, but I just want to be sure. I don't want to be stranded in the middle of the wilderness over this.

Pre-edit. I am skipping out on the master link if possible because they seems to die on my gravel bike when in the lowest gear combo.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Time posted:

2. when I am in pedaling pretty hard in the bottom two gears on the rear cassette I get what sounds like a frog croaking on the right downstroke.

apologies if I dont even know the right words to describe my problems, im very noob when it comes to actually doing this stuff.

Does it only do it when you're putting down a lot of torque?

Sounds like something is flexing around.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Does it only do it when you're putting down a lot of torque?

Sounds like something is flexing around.

The second issue, yes. The first one is not related to torque as far as I can tell

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

CopperHound posted:

This is kind of an advanced procedure that is easy to gently caress up. Try you best without a tire lever and see if you can get your hands on a bike tire bead jack if you absolutely cannot do it by hand.

Thanks for the tips! Since I tend to stick to fancy racing tires, I'll probably invest in a tire jack. Since, well, I'm tired of stiff sidewalls!

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

sweat poteto posted:

Doing the valve edge last allows the opposite side of the wheel to sit in the middle of the center channel and provide a few mm more slack. If you start at the valve, it can't do that and it'll be more difficult to get that final piece over the rim.

I always do the valve section first but make sure my final section is somewhere 90-120° from there so the opposite side has some slack

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

norp posted:

I always do the valve section first but make sure my final section is somewhere 90-120° from there so the opposite side has some slack

When we say opposite side, we don't mean the opposite bead, but instead another section of the same bead. By popping the bead into the rim at the valve, that bead automatically sits outside the center channel and that leaves you without precious fractions of a millimeter later on.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Huh, I've been doing it wrong all this time!

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Holy poo poo! The tire bead jack made installing the tire a breeze! Combining the tip to start 180 to the valve with the bead jack made the whole thing a snap!

Thanks, bike repair thread! I may have derailleur adjustment questions tomorrow, but the articles from Sheldon Brown have been good at breaking down the adjust process.

Can't wait to fully restore my bike!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Friendly reminder to grease and not over torque your XD cassettes if you ever plan on taking them off.

Guess I’ll be buying a new driver and cassette now :negative:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I got two Bontrager freehub bodies, a 54t and 108t.

From everything I've read, the functional difference is solely in that the 54t body has 3 pawls and 3 empty sockets instead of the full 6. But I'm curious about 2 things --

1) anyone know if there's a difference in the bearings?
The 54t has Xero 6803LH:

Googling for that doesn't turn anything up.

And the 108t has some unbranded 6803LB:

2) what's the purpose of the smoothed out landings at the base of the splines on the 108t body? They're slightly raised and sligthtly less bevel compared to the rest of the spline.
The 54t body has the same thing, but not smoothed out.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

1) anyone know if there's a difference in the bearings?
Xero 6803LH:

unbranded 6803LB:
Those letters on the end just refer to the low friction seals on the bearings.

https://eshop.ntn-snr.com/en/Suffix-Prefix-Equivalences-3964225.html

As for the rolley part of the bearings, without any manufacturer tolerance claims I would more or less consider them equivalent.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

kimbo305 posted:

I got two Bontrager freehub bodies, a 54t and 108t.

From everything I've read, the functional difference is solely in that the 54t body has 3 pawls and 3 empty sockets instead of the full 6. But I'm curious about 2 things --

2) what's the purpose of the smoothed out landings at the base of the splines on the 108t body? They're slightly raised and sligthtly less bevel compared to the rest of the spline.
The 54t body has the same thing, but not smoothed out.

The cynical part of me wants to say its to stop you from using individual cogs on the last few positions of your freehub.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yesterday I replaced the shifter cables. Neither was working well at all, but the new cables fixed the problem. My frankenbike has 5 cogs at the back wheel, but 7 places on the shifter on the handlebars, and 3 and 3 for the front deraileur and shifter. The front shifter cannot *quite* get to number 3, with it opened up and the cable in my hand, I could see the ratchet mechanism falling short by about 3 mm, I'm not sure what to do about that. But! with the new cables I was able to get it reasonably well dialed in to shift between the smaller two cogs at the front, and through all five at the rear - on the shifter, #2 corresponds to the largest cog (#1 pushes the chain into the thin metal shield on the wheel, but the chain does not come off the cog), and #7 to the smallest cog, with #6 just a noise maker, being somewhere between the smallest and second-smallest cogs. The shifter can jump 2 positions depending on how hard and how fast I push on it with my finger / thumb, so it's mostly going to be a matter of me getting used to it. I am happy. I had already gotten the brakes set up "good enough", I've got replacement cables for them, too, but maybe that will be a project for another weekend.

Today I got the usb-rechargeable lights charging and I installed an el-cheapo basic trip computer / spedometer. And I took for a test ride, the first real ride ever! Just down the street to the end of the block and back, but I ran through all of the gears and nothing bad happened. Success!
DSC_0920 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

I need to buy a lock and hopefully a side mirror for either my helmet or (I would prefer) the end of the handlebars, as I used to have long long ago. And a set of basic toe clips to suit normal shoes, again that's something I used to have and my old habits of pulling up slightly on the pedals are still in place. Also fenders, I don't want a big wet stripe up my back when I ride it in the rain.

\/\/\/ will do! thanks!

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 13, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

ExecuDork posted:

#1 pushes the chain into the thin metal shield on the wheel, but the chain does not come off the cog
Reading this causes me distress.
Please learn about adjusting the low limit screw.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Had an incredibly unlucky encounter with a loose rock today that decided to pop up and wedge itself between the ground and my downtube as I rolled over it. It didn't puncture the aluminum but the dent is about 3mm deep at the point and almost the full width of the downtube. There's a small chip in the weld but I think that's earlier damage that went unnoticed, based on how much dirt is in it.

What do you think, maintenance thread? Is it still safe to ride or is my season over? I can't afford to replace the frame right now, let alone buy a new bike.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Peel off the sticker and look for cracks. If there are no cracks, its totally fine.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Peeled and cleaned a bit. I don't see any cracks, just dented pretty harshly. Will probably still take it to the LBS when they open next. Guess I'm grateful that it spared the BB shell. I put new wheels on this bike this year, hoping to keep it another 2 or 3 seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
That looks fine to me, I’d still keep an eye on it for a few rides at least.