Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

euphronius posted:

My man she is in Spider Man.

I haven't seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Duke Leto I Atreides’s Father meets his end c10,000CE (Colorized)

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I haven't seen it.

To be fair, you could watch five (5) modern Spider-Man movies and still not have seen it!

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Galewolf posted:

Don't talk to me before I had my morning spice melange coffee.

Same, plus my cifruit.

StashAugustine posted:

What color is the boathouse on Salsa Secundus?

Another person with a nice hot mug of spice melange coffee. Why did you set it there, I wonder?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Thank you, people who enjoyed the translationpost :3:

Some irrelevant tl;dr about translations of culturally significant books since I am procrastinating:

Translation of Dune was a massive event when Turkey was having a push towards westernization through potential EU membership. When a country itself doesn't have an unbroken literary tradition like UK or France, it really depends on having a strong translation (and later on, with the advent o TV, dubbing) base which Turkey had since the late Ottoman era (the Young Turks [Jeune Turks, not the podcast]] westernization but especially became prevalent after the founding of the republic in 1923.

Before the translation of Dune, science-fiction books were quite rare in favor of classic literature, I imagine this due to translating classics being easier as they don't have technical / science-y terms that many translators would have trouble using.

I think Asimov got translated before but that was super niche and didn't make too much impact. The real impact was Dune when it got translated in 97, almost at the same time as Lord of The Rings (which is another legendary translation) that literally jumpstarted the sci-fi and fantasy craze in Turkey.

Both translations were so masterful that the first edition of Dune books are now price gouged by collectors (not much in terms of dollars obv but imagine paying 150 TRY for the first book when min wage is 2250 TRY, a full complement would cost 750-1000 TRY) granted that someone is willing to sell. New translation of Dune utterly tanked and tbh a bit too late in the late 2010sç

I think the of Dune sold crazy amounts, also helped by the fact that the Westwood Dune game being extremely popular back then with the young people (like me, I was quite surprised to find out that people were using knives instead of devastator tanks and solar artillery :v:). Almost everyone I know bought the books thinking that it was about the Westwood game and be all like :confused: but being so immersed in the book regardless.

Success of Dune translation and LOTR opened the floodgates to both sci-fi and fantasy with names like Alfred Bester, Le Guin and many other following in a short succession and pretty much got me into reading even more (I loved reading before that but finding a tresure trove of new genres like this lit me up).

So, it's quite exciting to see a modern Dune movie is a real thing that exists now, brings me back to 90s and the first time my mind being blown by the first book. :shobon:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I haven't seen it.

Spiderman Homecoming is decent

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She also in The Greatest Showman but I don’t know if I’d recommend that to goons in a dune thread

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

euphronius posted:

She also in The Greatest Showman but I don’t know if I’d recommend that to goons in a dune thread

I wouldn't and I worked on it

this space reserved for reminding everyone that PT Barnum was a despicable human being

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

stumbled upon this rad painting (slightly nws for jodo phallic madness)

https://twitter.com/FigueroaFilms/status/1022677614719381505

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well the songs in it are good

New idea : dune the musical

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You finally made a shaihulud out of me!
-paul

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Galewolf posted:

Thank you, people who enjoyed the translationpost :3:

Some irrelevant tl;dr about translations of culturally significant books since I am procrastinating:

Translation of Dune was a massive event when Turkey was having a push towards westernization through potential EU membership. When a country itself doesn't have an unbroken literary tradition like UK or France, it really depends on having a strong translation (and later on, with the advent o TV, dubbing) base which Turkey had since the late Ottoman era (the Young Turks [Jeune Turks, not the podcast]] westernization but especially became prevalent after the founding of the republic in 1923.

Before the translation of Dune, science-fiction books were quite rare in favor of classic literature, I imagine this due to translating classics being easier as they don't have technical / science-y terms that many translators would have trouble using.

I think Asimov got translated before but that was super niche and didn't make too much impact. The real impact was Dune when it got translated in 97, almost at the same time as Lord of The Rings (which is another legendary translation) that literally jumpstarted the sci-fi and fantasy craze in Turkey.

Both translations were so masterful that the first edition of Dune books are now price gouged by collectors (not much in terms of dollars obv but imagine paying 150 TRY for the first book when min wage is 2250 TRY, a full complement would cost 750-1000 TRY) granted that someone is willing to sell. New translation of Dune utterly tanked and tbh a bit too late in the late 2010sç

I think the of Dune sold crazy amounts, also helped by the fact that the Westwood Dune game being extremely popular back then with the young people (like me, I was quite surprised to find out that people were using knives instead of devastator tanks and solar artillery :v:). Almost everyone I know bought the books thinking that it was about the Westwood game and be all like :confused: but being so immersed in the book regardless.

Success of Dune translation and LOTR opened the floodgates to both sci-fi and fantasy with names like Alfred Bester, Le Guin and many other following in a short succession and pretty much got me into reading even more (I loved reading before that but finding a tresure trove of new genres like this lit me up).

So, it's quite exciting to see a modern Dune movie is a real thing that exists now, brings me back to 90s and the first time my mind being blown by the first book. :shobon:

This is utterly fascinating, thanks so much for sharing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Me me I’m a dune man

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

New idea : dune the musical

Dr Yueh, Dr Yueh

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

euphronius posted:

My daughter had the soundtrack on infinite repeat. Zendaya was good in it, and some of the songs are decent, but no.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Life can be bright in Arrakeen
If you can fight in Arrakeen
Life is all right in Arrakeen
If you have water in Arrakeen

I think I’ll go back to Calladan
I know a frigate you can fold on

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

kiimo posted:

Life can be bright in Arrakeen
If you can fight in Arrakeen
Life is all right in Arrakeen
If you have water in Arrakeen

I think I’ll go back to Calladan
I know a frigate you can fold on

When you're ibad, you're ibad all the way
from your first sietch orgy to your own deathstill day

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Don’t cry for me in the Landsraad;
The truth is, my sons shall crush you
At first, a jihad
Then God-worm’s brilliance
...now here comes Piter-
must close the distance...

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Lmfbo josh brolin's head

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The Bloop posted:

Dr Yueh, Dr Yueh

Can I play the baliset anymore?
Of course you can!
Well I couldn't before.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Prolonged Priapism posted:

The costume department definitely read that scene though.

:swoon:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Were the Dune games also translated into Turkish, or did you all play them in English?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

Were the Dune games also translated into Turkish, or did you all play them in English?

All of them were in English, lol even modern games barely have Turkish localisation. I think the latest big game was The Witcher 3 had proper Turkish subs.

Crysis had full Turkish localisation including voice acting because Crytek was a Turkish firm. Mount and Blade is also a Turkish-made game so it has good localisation but Bannerlord was more English-centric

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 13, 2020

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-zEMitTkaU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

cptn_dr posted:

Can I play the baliset anymore?
Of course you can!
Well I couldn't before.

FBS posted:

Doc Betray Us, Doc Betray Us
Oooooooh, Doc Betray Us

bij
Feb 24, 2007

We collect all the genes
From Caladan to grim Geidi
-
Oh my god, we were wrong
It was Paul all along
We finally made the Kwisatz
Yes we finally made the Kwisatz
We finally made the Kwisatz
HAAAAAAD
EEEEEEEERRRRRRRR
AAAAAAAAAACH

bij fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 13, 2020

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I love you, Helen Gaius!

Atomic Balm
Nov 13, 2011

...Westwood

StashAugustine posted:

What color is the boathouse on Salsa Secundus?

Vladimir hosed us...

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
"I wouldn't hurt a friend."

"Jamis was my friend."

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Someone made a (sort of) shot by shot comparison of the DUNC trailer and the two previous iterations, and I thought it was pretty rad, esp. the WORM comparison shots, and I wanted to share this with my Dune posting pals :unsmith:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rappaport posted:

Someone made a (sort of) shot by shot comparison of the DUNC trailer and the two previous iterations, and I thought it was pretty rad, esp. the WORM comparison shots, and I wanted to share this with my Dune posting pals :unsmith:

fucken noice

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
*interior monologue*

the spice

the spice melange

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
og bene gesserit still the best

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Rappaport posted:

Nice !

This makes it look like they're more updating Lynch than acknowledging the SciFi miniseries. Can't blame 'em personally.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

these are dumb as hell but they do demonstrate a point someone made ealier itt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWd_GCfQpG0

with the absence of other big movie franchises people are loving starving for something to latch on to, and the Chalomet/Zendaya thing is absolutely going to bring young women to this movie. it's honestly kind of rad that something like as weird as Dune might actually get a cultural movie moment despite how hosed up the industry is right now

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
*brian herbert cackles maniacally, shovels those tiktok bucks down his pants*

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

these are dumb as hell but they do demonstrate a point someone made ealier itt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWd_GCfQpG0

Tag urself I'm the pasty bug-eyed chick that's unimpressed by anything but the loud noises

e: also that triple trailer mashup is great. The Lynch movie was a mess but that's a good reminder that it had all the right elements, just in a weird order or with weird Lynchian twists

Murray Mantoinette fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Sep 13, 2020

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The entire cast is a thirst trap for all age/sex ranges.

I have questions about bearded Oscar Isaac and Josh Brolin :heysexy:.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Imagine being the costume department folks given the design brief of "make Oscar Isaac and Rebecca Ferguson look stunning"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

DV: We need even tighter shirts for Jason.
People: *starts sweating profusely*