Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

:jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fishman is worse than Tinsley. Tinsley at least had the excuse of being a drunk old crank, Fishman is relatively young and lucid.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That's a rather inspired cover of 4'33.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Re: transgender nuns

https://youtu.be/535_479z-hM

Ad made by an Italian clothing company for pride month this year.

You best believe this caused fundie tears. Someone even called this "the work of the devil himself" :allears:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Good news everyone ! After being blocked from Garrison's site by cloudflare for the past couple days I'm able to access it again!

quote:

“MAGA VS. THE DEEP STATE SWAMP” NUMBER 5 IN THE DRAIN THE SWAMP SERIES.
For the last four years President Trump has tirelessly exposed the Deep State Swamp. Trump has shown the American people the ruthless corruption in our government and called out the endless propaganda of the controlled mainstream media complex.

President Trump’s first term went by quickly and although much was accomplished, there was still a lot left to do.

The swamp runs deeper than anyone ever imagined.

Now the Democrat nominee, Joe Biden, claims he represents ‘decency.’

He’s a career politician known for groping and sniffing females—adults and children alike. He made it possible for his son Hunter to receive graft from Communist China. He believes taxpayers should fund abortion on demand. He believes in more taxes, a bigger and more bloated government, treating people with respect, BLM and ANTIFA, endless lockdowns, and a mask mandate. Joe is pro-war, a globalist, and he supported tossing low-level drug offenders into prison. Does this sound decent to you?

Trump is not perfect, but he stands in sharp contrast to Biden. While Joe is pro-China, Trump is pro-jobs for Americans. He wants to preserve our free speech and our right to own firearms. He is a nationalist, not a globalist. He wants to put an end to the rioting and looting. He wants elections to be held in a fair and traditional manner, while Democrats want mail-in ballots, which will open the door to fraud. Trump is anti-war. That alone is a good reason to reelect him.

The contrast between the two presidential candidates is obvious and definite. President Trump remains the only decent choice.

—Grrr Team

quote:

WILL YOU WATCH THE NFL?
The NFL kicked off their season last Thursday. After two anthems were played, the millionaire players lined the field, locked arm in arm, to protest racial discrimination.

America’s National Anthem used to be a briefly unifying moment for all Americans — no matter what color or political persuasion. Everyone used to stand and respect the flag. This is no longer the case. The ‘Black National Anthem,’ known as “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing” was also performed, but it cannot be called a ’national’ anthem, since other races are not included. We are supposed to be one country, not two.

Unfortunately the NFL commissioner, Roger “I wish we had listened to Colin Kaepernick earlier” Goodell, has now caved completely to the cultural Marixists that are the far left social justice warriors. The NFL is being used as a megaphone for radical propaganda and identity politics. It’s as if CNN is running the game. It’s now the CNNFL.

Apparently, making money is no longer among the paramount goals of the NFL. First and foremost, the game is now about being ‘woke’ and an opportunity to protest. What gets lost in such a mindset is this: People want a respite from the endless bad news in their personal lives as well as the world. Sports is entertainment and provided such an escape. The games also helped Americans come together. No matter what color or political allegiance one might have, the games helped bring all Americans together.

Now sports are being used by the left as a means of division. The ratings dropped 16 percent for an NFL opening game. That shouldn’t come as a surprise. The real surprise is why the drop wasn’t more pronounced.

Stop watching the politicized NFL and their oppressed millionaire players.

—Ben Garrison

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mikl posted:

You best believe this caused fundie tears. Someone even called this "the work of the devil himself" :allears:

That ad loving owns, it's incredibly wholesome.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mikl posted:

Aw geez, I hate when commercials make me cry, but this was really sweet.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Manuel Calavera posted:

That ad loving owns, it's incredibly wholesome.

Counterpoint: there is zero wholesomeness about the Roman Catholic church. But I enjoyed the ad anyway, out of this world as it is!

spoilered if you don't want to get angry at the Vatican posted:

In 2015, the Vatican declared that transgender Catholics cannot become godparents, stating in response to a transgender man's query that transgender status "reveals in a public way an attitude opposite to the moral imperative of solving the problem of sexual identity according to the truth of one's own sexuality" and that, "[t]herefore it is evident that this person does not possess the requirement of leading a life according to the faith and in the position of godfather and is therefore unable to be admitted to the position of godfather or godmother."[4]

In June 2019, the Catholic Church published a document titled "Male and Female He Created Them", which summarized its official position. The document rejected the terms transgender and intersex, and criticized the idea that people could choose or change their gender as a "confused concept of freedom" and "momentary desires". It asserted male and female genitalia were designed for procreation. Transgender advocates responded that people may discover a gender different than their external appearance, as determined by "genetics, hormones, and brain chemistry". They criticized the document as not reflecting the life experiences of transgender people, and worried it would encourage discrimination and self-harm.[5]

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Counterpoint: there is zero wholesomeness about the Roman Catholic church. But I enjoyed the ad anyway, out of this world as it is!

Oh, believe me, I know. I'm a trans woman who was raised in a basically irreligious household, converted to catholicism in her teens, and was then all but rejected when she came out as trans in her early thirties. (They stopped short of excommunicating me, though they came close!)

At this point, my attitude is basically "gently caress the Catholic Church." And anything that makes fundies mad is a good thing in my opinion.

...Is that final landing, the one that holds the american flag, suspiciously Q shaped, or is it just me?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

...Is that final landing, the one that holds the american flag, suspiciously Q shaped, or is it just me?

No, Ben has been a Q:er for a good while now.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
No it's not just you, it's Q, and that trans nun ad is great why do good stories have to be made by loving jeans companies.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

As has been said before, people who acknowledge that white people have done some poo poo in the past aren't stewing in "white guilt". The people who spend every second loudly denying it and criticizing any word against it seem a lot more entrenched in guilt.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Shugojin posted:

does anyone know any ancient forbidden lore to make someone break their fingers

asking for a friend

Send them this image!

Warning: brain poison. Viewing this image will cause you to try it, and you will break your hand!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gaybies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Evilreaver posted:

Send them this image!

Warning: brain poison. Viewing this image will cause you to try it, and you will break your hand!

It didn't break my hand but my wrist is definitely sore now.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

SirSamVimes posted:

It didn't break my hand but my wrist is definitely sore now.

Give it time. You're poisoned now. You'll try again :unsmigghh:

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

You'd think that they would use the existence of transgender people as proof god exists. Biology can make you a certain sex, but who you are; your soul as created by god can never be denied. But...y'know that would mean they'd need to be a little less bigoted and probably lose all those people who use their faith to excuse their poo poo opinions. They don't even accept gays as people yet when they literally spout us being created in god's image.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

An insane mind posted:

You'd think that they would use the existence of transgender people as proof god exists. Biology can make you a certain sex, but who you are; your soul as created by god can never be denied. But...y'know that would mean they'd need to be a little less bigoted and probably lose all those people who use their faith to excuse their poo poo opinions. They don't even accept gays as people yet when they literally spout us being created in god's image.

There are a lot of things that evangelical and fundamentalist Christians typically decry even though they fit perfectly into their dogma. That's one example, and another would be evolution being god's tool in creating everything. Even the Catholics agree on the latter.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

An insane mind posted:

You see, this is something that comes from Catholic theology. In the Catholic world view, there is simply no place for LGBTQIA+ people. Zero. Zilch. Absolutely none.

Because of their interpretation of the Bible, men and women are complementary, created to be two sides of the same coin; each with their own role, they will meet, get married, live together, have children. That is the natural order.

Everything that goes against the above is not just Bad, but Extremely Super-Duper Extra Bad. Ontologically bad. Two men (or two women) falling in love with each other? Someone who thought they were one gender, actually discovering they're not that gender? It's literally against everything that is Good and True according to Catholic Theology itself; and since God created the natural order, it's also against God themselves.

A catholic (meaning a single person, or even a small community) may accept queer people. The Catholic Church never will, because it would completely throwing away centuries, if not millennia, of theological interpretation and debate, and starting all over again from the original text. And that simply cannot be allowed, or they would entirely lose their monopoly on biblical intepretation. When you hear a Catholic ecclesiastical (priest, bishop, cardinal, even the pope, whatever) say "the bible says X", it does not allow argument, because the Catholic hierarchy are the holders of truth in that regards, and if they let that slip, they would lose their grip on all their followers. "We might be wrong" is something they will never say.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Thanks for those posts. I don't think much about the catholic church or god, I only took 'love your neighbour' and 'people who lord their wealth over others are dicks' as good lines I could live my life by. Beyond that thinking for myself is probably better.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mikl posted:

A catholic (meaning a single person, or even a small community) may accept queer people. The Catholic Church never will, because it would completely throwing away centuries, if not millennia, of theological interpretation and debate, and starting all over again from the original text. And that simply cannot be allowed, or they would entirely lose their monopoly on biblical intepretation. When you hear a Catholic ecclesiastical (priest, bishop, cardinal, even the pope, whatever) say "the bible says X", it does not allow argument, because the Catholic hierarchy are the holders of truth in that regards, and if they let that slip, they would lose their grip on all their followers. "We might be wrong" is something they will never say.

To compound on this, the Catholic church is such a global monolithic power structure that changing it's basic tenets would require near unanimity for a religion with 1.3 billion followers on all continents. It's hard for national churches in small liberal Nordic countries to update their views regarding women or LBGTQ peeps or abortion or such, and when it's done there's always some conservative splinter group that wants to leave or keeps dragging their feet. For Vatican that splinter group could mean 135 million African catholics. Or 120 million Asian catholics. Vatican is going to remain as conservative as its most conservative subregion is unless it divides, and hoo boy that won't be pretty when it finally happens :can:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ It wasn't amazingly pleasant the first three times either.

An insane mind posted:

Remember that many of these people believe that God will smite you for getting a tattoo, let alone any more significant rearrangements of God's image. And they believe that being gay is a choice, one that God doesn't want you to make. The typical modern Christian is indistinguishable from the Jews 2000 years ago who berated Jesus for hanging out with a prostitute.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 13, 2020

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

An insane mind posted:

Thanks for those posts. I don't think much about the catholic church or god, I only took 'love your neighbour' and 'people who lord their wealth over others are dicks' as good lines I could live my life by. Beyond that thinking for myself is probably better.

Jesus is alright as a moral philosopher of sorts. Christianity is a whole mess of power structures that are not good.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mikl posted:

"We might be wrong" is something they will never say.

They have said it about other things, but it's a process that takes a looooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time. Like for the Galileo affair (1633), it took until 1979 for the Vatican to say "we might have been wrong about it" and then until 1992 to say "we have been wrong about this".

So yeah I wouldn't expect a change to the official position on sex and gender issues in our lifetime.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ben Garrison posted:

Now the Democrat nominee, Joe Biden, claims he represents ‘decency.’

He’s a career politician known for groping and sniffing females—adults and children alike

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Evilreaver posted:

Send them this image!

You can feel a similar misery by closing your fingers and then extending your ring finger by itself (gently).

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

To compound on this, the Catholic church is such a global monolithic power structure that changing it's basic tenets would require near unanimity for a religion with 1.3 billion followers on all continents. It's hard for national churches in small liberal Nordic countries to update their views regarding women or LBGTQ peeps or abortion or such, and when it's done there's always some conservative splinter group that wants to leave or keeps dragging their feet. For Vatican that splinter group could mean 135 million African catholics. Or 120 million Asian catholics. Vatican is going to remain as conservative as its most conservative subregion is unless it divides, and hoo boy that won't be pretty when it finally happens :can:

The Anglican church is dealing with this right now. The need to change a lot of their positions on women int he clergy, gay marriage, and other progressive issues if they want to stay remotely relevant in Britain, but doing so will piss off a bunch of churches in Africa causing them to leave.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Imagine getting mad about safe spaces in football, like there isn't this huge clearly marked boundary to make sure the places where violence is acceptable are clearly marked.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I love how they seem to think the NFL isn't doing whatever makes them the most profit

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Methodist Church is undergoing a schism after voting to officially adopt anti-queer policies after many years of churches kinda taking on their own positions. I think the pandemic has delayed things, but I find it hilarious since my lovely parents spend a lot of time and money converting to Catholicism just because their new church had a lesbian pastor.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pants Donkey posted:

The Methodist Church is undergoing a schism after voting to officially adopt anti-queer policies after many years of churches kinda taking on their own positions. I think the pandemic has delayed things, but I find it hilarious since my lovely parents spend a lot of time and money converting to Catholicism just because their new church had a lesbian pastor.

Lol going back to catholicism because your other one was too inclusive

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My mom and her wife got married by a retired Anglican pastor. My mom was a little worried that this was going to get him in trouble, but his reaction was "what are they going to do, fire me?"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Weird that he doesn't do screeds about Goldman Sachs but these systemic millionaires are different and bad, for some reason.

RoboRodent posted:

My mom and her wife got married by a retired Anglican pastor. My mom was a little worried that this was going to get him in trouble, but his reaction was "what are they going to do, fire me?"

Anglicans own, I still remember my high school comparative religion class where the Anglican guy followed a doctrinaire Catholic by explaining how his three divorces really helped in marriage counseling because while he didn't have all the answers he could definitively tell people what *not* to do.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 13, 2020

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Pantomime dame Boris Johnson and his not-so-magic lamp – Chris Riddell on the PM breaking the law over Brexit and the ‘rule of six’ coronavirus restrictions"

Sunday Telegraph:

Matt:

Sunday Times:

Exasperated parents in England say test and trace still a 'shambles'

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cloud Potato posted:

Observer:

"Pantomime dame Boris Johnson and his not-so-magic lamp – Chris Riddell on the PM breaking the law over Brexit and the ‘rule of six’ coronavirus restrictions"

Something about this one is just incredibly Political Cartoon. The sort of one someone who doesn't draw political cartoons would make for their fictional setting.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nenonen posted:

Trust me I also know, like Mikl do. Being also transfemme. I was born and raised Roman Catholic through 8th grade. Then got out when I went to high school. And my parents didn't make a fuss. I read books on Sundays at church from like, 4th grade on. (Ironically, a lot of Redwall.)

Ask me about being an ex Boy Scout and an Eagle Scout too.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My Eagle Board specifically asked me about gay scouts, and while there may have been no wrong answer to that question, this was around the height of the Mormon Church’s hold on the BSA, so you didn’t exactly find yourself in an accepting troop.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Manuel Calavera posted:

Trust me I also know, like Mikl do. Being also transfemme. I was born and raised Roman Catholic through 8th grade. Then got out when I went to high school. And my parents didn't make a fuss. I read books on Sundays at church from like, 4th grade on. (Ironically, a lot of Redwall.)

Ask me about being an ex Boy Scout and an Eagle Scout too.

I didn't intend to imply that you weren't aware :) although I didn't know that you were Catholic, though why wouldn't Manuel Calavera be Catholic... mainly my point was that in media (like this ad, or music videos, or movies) Catholic church is often brought up in overly positive light when their actual record is often far worse.

That being said, the people in the church (there's over a billion of them) are presumably just about as good as people on average! Some are saints, some are absolute assholes, but most are just fine if not better.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
at least he's consistent in being ok with fraud as long as libs get "pwned" in the process
because you know he sees an audience that came to see a pianist and assumes "libs"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Aren't "sit" and "prostrate" mutually exclusive positions?