Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

BirdOfPlay posted:

If this is for a fresh install, make sure you move your save games, too! There're not stored in the main Steam folder, but all over your user file. For example, I had games that saved in "My Games" and "Documents" and carried those over, but this didn't cover my Total Warhammer 2 saves, for some reason.

Because they do it properly and save to the correct folder.

If you want all your stuff to carry over, copy your entire %userprofile%. Sadly, if you aren't in an Active Directory domain your user ID will have changed so you'll have to take ownership on the new machine then copy the folder in place using a separate admin user, a process that MS makes rather complicated for no good reason.

On Linux, you just change the user id on your new system to match the old and literally everything carries over with no hassle. Makes reinstalling (more realistically, changing distro) quick and easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Phlegmish posted:

Ah so he's this classic but unironically

I feel like this image was scientifically created in a lab somewhere to annoy me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Antigravitas posted:

Because they do it properly and save to the correct folder.
I wish. No, TWW2 does just what every other game does: it picks a random folder in %user%/Appdata and dumps it in there somewhere, either under the name of the game itself or that of the publisher or that of the developer, it's anyone's loving guess what a given game will pick. If there was some kind of centralized proper location for Steam games to place their save files, that poo poo would not be half as aggravating to backup as it is in practice - because nobody wants to backup their entire user folder, including temporary files, caches and other disk crud that you will have absolutely no need for ever again.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 13, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

joe football posted:

My impression of really high level FPS people is that really value being able snap their aim to a target super quickly and accurately. So a weapon where they don't really get to utilize those skills, or getting killed by someone who doesn't have to use those skills, maybe isn't as fun for them as it is for me, who needs to be in shotgun range to hit anyone in multiplayer regardless of what weapon I'm using

'High level FPS people' :rolleyes: As you say, they're only high-level at playing Whac-A-Mole.

You know, as much as a game like Mordhau has the deserved reputation for having a toxic userbase, at least you actually have to be versatile to be 'good'. A reflexive twitch reaction might cost you in some situations, while being useful in others. Why don't we have more games like that where we're just beating the poo poo out of each other with longswords and warhammers and scimitars and katanas. I bought Chivalry back in 2013 and never looked back, but the melee revolution never really came.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Phlegmish posted:

'High level FPS people' :rolleyes: As you say, they're only high-level at playing Whac-A-Mole.
I take it you were never any good at it yourself.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I take it you were never any good at it yourself.

I was a teenaged boy with far too much spare time on his hands when I played games like Enemy Territory religiously. Of course I was good at them. That's not the point.

I was being hyperbolic, obviously top FPS players really are skilled in their own way. However, it really is the case that I personally have no desire to play multiplayer FPS games these days, it seems like they've only become more purely twitch-based over time. Overwatch seemed like an exception, I never really got around to playing it, but I think I would have enjoyed it.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

MarcusSA posted:

For some reason I have Bound By Flame on my wish list and its really cheap. Is the game worth a poo poo or a hard pass? I have no idea why I added it to my wish list.
The big question is how well do you like Spiders? :spiderguy: The French RPG developer I mean. It's near the bottom of the list when it comes to their games, but if you are a fan of Spiders' brand of Eurojank you might like it. Otherwise, be very wary. I enjoyed it, but it's not something I'd recommend to someone who isn't a Eurojank fanatic.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I was being hyperbolic, obviously top FPS players really are skilled in their own way. However, it really is the case that I personally have no desire to play multiplayer FPS games these days, it seems like they've only become more purely twitch-based over time. Overwatch seemed like an exception, I never really got around to playing it, but I think I would have enjoyed it.
Well, I can hardly blame you. I never could get into the whole thing myself. The only multiplayer-type FPS games I've ever enjoyed were games like Left4Dead, because they involved a degree of gameplay beyond 'who can insta-kill the other guy first,' which is what it always seems to me that far too many of them boil down to.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
if you're migrating a whole machine just use gamesave manager because there have been approx as many standard locations for save game data as there have been versions of windows, and that's not getting into the way most games ignore the standard anyway
its a bit poo poo but it does the job

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

oh my goodness control is so cool.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, I can hardly blame you. I never could get into the whole thing myself. The only multiplayer-type FPS games I've ever enjoyed were games like Left4Dead, because they involved a degree of gameplay beyond 'who can insta-kill the other guy first,' which is what it always seems to me that far too many of them boil down to.

I get that. A game like Vermintide 2 is not very popular among goons, but I've gotten into it in a big way because (once you get past the bugs and counterintuitive design choices) it's both very skill-based at the highest difficulty levels, and co-op. Real visceral feeling when you move, attack, block, etc. in just the right pattern, or when you pull off some clutch moves to save your teammates and/or the run.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cardiovorax posted:

I claim Poe's Law.

same, and also stares at gang tag

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is there like a discreet mode for Steam? I want to stay online, but I don't want it to announce to everyone that I'm playing a game or whatever. I got it to not disclose whether or not I'm online in the friends list, but it still tells them I'm playing games.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Go to your own profile, edit profile, settings, privacy settings.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Keep in mind that private mode can mess up your ability to join some multiplayer games. I noticed this in MHW and CK3, for example.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I've been playing through the Control DLC and it kind of blows my mind that a lot of people consider this game to have "weak combat". It's not super deep or anything, but man the game nails the feel of being a mad telekinetic god who is just destroying this poor office building

https://i.imgur.com/iJFy72e.mp4

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
edit: ha ha, that was embarrassing. I hope nobody saw that.

Thanks for your help!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Triarii posted:

I've been playing through the Control DLC and it kind of blows my mind that a lot of people consider this game to have "weak combat". It's not super deep or anything, but man the game nails the feel of being a mad telekinetic god who is just destroying this poor office building

that sure is a solid minute of you using the same three abilities over and over

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

Meanwhile most shooters have one ability, which is "shoot gun"

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Triarii posted:

Hey there is also "throw grenade"

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Triarii posted:

But they don't have "snap to target"

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
They have TAKE COVER and INTERACT on the same key half the time!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
You know if you really think about it, human beings only have one ability:

do

(((kaboom)))

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Psi Ops 2: Now With X-Files and SCP, is good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Triarii posted:

Control's combat is super fun. Simple complement of abilities, all of them useful in some combination. It reminds me of some of the biotic classes in ME3 multiplayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AjQMR13Toc

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Triarii posted:

It's not that the combat is weak, it's that there's too much of it. Same problem with Alan Wake. It's doubly jarring with Remedys games as well, since they have such great stories and world-building. It just becomes a slog to get through the monotonous combat to get to the good story stuff, and the monotony is reinforced by respawning enemies as you pass through areas multiple times.

"Oh man, can't wait to find out the mystery behind The Demon-Haunted Dildo from Chicago! But... I have to pass through the lobby again, and fight those guys... again. *sigh*"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Triarii posted:

yeah its like all the different guns are the variety

but thats also clearly not true, shooters generally do have abilities and stuff now lol its so common theres a big revivial of doom/quake style games that dont do it

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's not that the combat is weak, it's that there's too much of it. Same problem with Alan Wake. It's doubly jarring with Remedys games as well, since they have such great stories and world-building. It just becomes a slog to get through the monotonous combat to get to the good story stuff, and the monotony is reinforced by respawning enemies as you pass through areas multiple times.

"Oh man, can't wait to find out the mystery behind The Demon-Haunted Dildo from Chicago! But... I have to pass through the lobby again, and fight those guys... again. *sigh*"

Control also has an assist mode in the options to basically trivialize the combat if you are just interested in the story. You can even turn it off when you get to encounters that look interesting to actually fight.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Triarii posted:

The combat is fuckin' great.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/ph4n70mm1118/status/1304110799087046656

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

did... you post this to the wrong window or something

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Ciaphas posted:

did... you post this to the wrong window or something

Well they did post about Blood...6 pages ago.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Hwurmp posted:

Levitate, dash, possess, launch, shoot gun... have you tried turning on your monitor?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

holy poo poo you can dash and jump

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
whenever hwurmp posts about control he is possessed by the vengeful spirit of chibisoma

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

whenever hwurmp posts about control he is possessed by the vengeful spirit of chibisoma

No rants about how Control doesn’t cooperate with a Noyoko controller from 2000, can’t be Chibosoma.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Incredible.

Hwurmp posted:

man you seem miserable

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hwurmp posted:

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oxxidation posted:

Sometimes when I'm having a bad day I think about Chibisoma's posts about MHW before it came out, about how it was going to be a lovely american made trashheap to tie in with the movie and it was going to bomb hard and be awful, and I feel a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Element TD 2 just updated with the start of a single-player campaign and some other stuff; looks like fun (I skipped over that entire era of modded WC3 maps, myself)