Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I think what happens is that the studio becomes so good that essentially anyone who works there can get a job leading a project somewhere else.

It's the gaming equivalent of having a speaking role in Saving Private Ryan: everyone will give you a job. So then there is a diaspora and what is left is probably the people who don't have as much creative vision mixed in with a bunch of fans who grew up on Golden Age Games, leading to decreasing-quality facsimiles. Eventually a big publisher will swoop in to cash in on the failing brand's name recognition while it still has value and run it into the ground.

What I've heard, and I don't know if it's true, was that Dragon Age 2 was the real start of the problem.

EA wanted to try to make Bioware do annual franchise games. As in, one year turnaround for massive RPGs.

Turns out, that's not exactly a sustainable model, so we got Dragon Age 2, and we also got the beginnings of the current Bioware burnout, which only escalated through ME3, Inquisition, and Anthem. More and more work on fewer and fewer vets leading to more vets quitting leading to more work on the rookies and the few people still around with experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Rinkles posted:

How does a developer at the forefront of its industry so utterly crater within a few years? I guess relying on BioWare magic (and crunch) to push through projects wasn't a sustainable model.

Based on the trajectory from ME1 to ME2 the future of BW seemed so bright.

people seriously thought it was gonna be the next star wars, they had plans for a movie and everything

instead they released a novel which had someone being cured(?) of autism and quarians out of their suits. They said they were gonna fix it and never did lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also Kai Leng breaks into Anderson's apartment, drops trousers and pisses in his corn flakes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I see you’re unfamiliar with Star Wars EU quality.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Drew Karpyshin's Revan novel shat all over KOTOR 2 and I'm still mad about it.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

the movie fell through because the two studios that had joint ownership over the rights to a mass effect film later had a falling out over the details of some rights to a comic book movie and more-or-less cancelled all their joint ventures when things went real sour in negotiations

the split went pretty deep, the hope in 2017 was that andromeda was gonna be a major hit that would prove the value of the ip to investors and forcibly reconcile the studios into pulling out a single project from their technically-not-cancelled hiatus purgatory... but then andromeda came out

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

hard counter posted:

the movie fell through because the two studios that had joint ownership over the rights to a mass effect film later had a falling out over the details of some rights to a comic book movie and more-or-less cancelled all their joint ventures when things went real sour in negotiations

the split went pretty deep, the hope in 2017 was that andromeda was gonna be a major hit that would prove the value of the ip to investors and forcibly reconcile the studios into pulling out a single project from their technically-not-cancelled hiatus purgatory... but then andromeda came out

that is extremely funny. just self-owns all the way down

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also Kai Leng breaks into Anderson's apartment, drops trousers and pisses in his corn flakes

I think he uses his bathroom and then eats his corn flakes

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
kai leng should have opened Anderson's freezer, dropped trou, and ninja jumped a fat turd right into the ice tray.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i thought he pissed in a plant

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ainsley McTree posted:

The franchise's post-ME2 legacy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ainsley McTree posted:

I thought that was Randy Pitchford

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
nono Randy pissed in his pants

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

98% chance that any movie would have been Wing Commander levels of bad anyway.

These days games are way more profitable than movies. And usually better. I'd hate to see a Horizon Zero Dawn movie. They'd totally gently caress it up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Video games get optioned as movies all the time, mostly nothing ever comes of them. I think there was even a rumored Horizon Zero Dawn adaptation happening awhile back, but the entire film industry is kind of suffering right now for obvious reasons. I agree that as a story it's not one that would translate to movies well without some significant changes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also with Bioware especially, you'd risk pissing off the "That's not MY Commander Shepard!" crowd.

Hell, I'd probably be one of em. :v:

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

How would general audiences react to an otherwise upstanding, noble lead that inexplicably and out of character cold cocked a female journalist for trying to interview him?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Isn't it about time this got renamed back to the Mass Effect thread? How is anyone who didn't post back when Andromeda came out supposed to know this is the ME thread?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Isn't it about time this got renamed back to the Mass Effect thread? How is anyone who didn't post back when Andromeda came out supposed to know this is the ME thread?

They’re not. This thread is meant to be forgotten, just like the Mass Effect series.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

They’re not. This thread is meant to be forgotten, just like the Mass Effect series.

This Place Is Not A Place Of Honor etc

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It doesn’t seem fair to people actually looking for a gaming food thread though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That 1 second of disappointment can never be repaid.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

hobbesmaster posted:

It doesn’t seem fair to people actually looking for a gaming food thread though.

It’s not, but if you wanted fair you should have escaped to the andromeda galaxy just like the quarians

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

El_Elegante posted:

It’s not, but if you wanted fair you should have escaped to the andromeda galaxy just like the quarians

The quarians didn't have enough gamer fuel to make it to andromeda, rip

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

lol nah

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Garrus: There are secrets here that were meant to be forgotten.

My new "favourite" ME2 bug: getting stuck in the ceiling because I tried to pull away from cover and clipped into the geometry.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno if I ever would've clicked on a mass effect thread but I did click on a gaming food megathread and now I follow this thread

I guess clickbait works on me

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

I dunno if I ever would've clicked on a mass effect thread but I did click on a gaming food megathread and now I follow this thread

I guess clickbait works on me

This studio wrecked their own franchise with one weird trick! You won't believe how easy it was! Read more...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

we can rename the thread when they make another mass effect

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
You think they’ll ever leak the planned story arc for the andromeda sequels? Do you think they even thought that far out?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Garrus: There are secrets here that were meant to be forgotten.

My new "favourite" ME2 bug: getting stuck in the ceiling because I tried to pull away from cover and clipped into the geometry.

I got stuck out of bounds so often in Mass Effect the series. Giant wrecked ship? Stuck floating off the floor. Fight with a powerful Asari? Slid upon an inescapable ledge. And of course, cover glitches abound.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finished the Suicide Mission. Ending is still dumb with the baby Reaper.

Legion is stuck building a consensus. I only got two conversations out of him and now he won't talk anymore.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Arcsquad12 posted:

Finished the Suicide Mission. Ending is still dumb with the baby Reaper.

Legion is stuck building a consensus. I only got two conversations out of him and now he won't talk anymore.

I forget how Legion is barely in the game, especially if Shep saves the crew...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I even used the save editor to get him earlier in the game and he still won't stop building consensus.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I forget how Legion is barely in the game, especially if Shep saves the crew...

As I recall the order of events is:
1. Get Legion.
2. Do Legion's Loyalty Mission.
3. Do Suicide Mission.

This is the only way to avoid Kelly and others being turned into goo.

He isn't in the game very long yet I'd stills ay he's the best squadmate besides Mordin. Speaks very well of how awesome he (it?) was.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

NikkolasKing posted:

1. Get Legion.
3. Do Suicide Mission.

He isn't in the game very long yet I'd stills ay he's the best squadmate besides Mordin. Speaks very well of how awesome he (it?) was.

...there was a hole. 🥺

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

1. Get Legion.
3. Do Suicide Mission.

you have room to do one more loyalty mission safely if you leave it undone until you recruit Legion. Tali's has the most unique dialog.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

1. Get Legion.
3. Do Suicide Mission.

You can do two quests. I usually do:
1. Get Legion.
2. Talk to Legion. (not sure if this step is necessary)
3. Do Tali's Loyalty Mission.
4. Get and do Legion's Loyalty Mission.
5. Do Suicide Mission.

You can also do recruitment/loyalty missions after the Suicide Mission(and with some wrangling have everyone survive). So for max Geth/Quarian content you can:
1. Get Legion.
2. Recruit Tali.
3. Do Tali's or Legion's Loyalty Mission.
4. Do Suicide Mission.
5. Do Tali's or Legion's Loyalty Mission(whichever one you didn't do).

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
how bad are they gonna gently caress up the me3 mp remaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gonna be hard to make a worse remaster than whatever the gently caress Ubisoft is doing with the Prince of Persia remake.