Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm continuing with my House Jimena playthrough and I'm aproaching the time for my second succesion. The first one was painless because I only had one male heir, but this time my king had tons of legitimate sex and has 3 living sons.

What can I do to ensure that my huge rear end realm does not split the moment my king dies because I don't have primogeniture yet? Disinherit the two secondary heirs? Send them off alone to battle and pray that they die? Disinheriting sounds fine but it's also a huge expense of prestige.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Angry Lobster posted:

What can I do to ensure that my huge rear end realm does not split the moment my king dies because I don't have primogeniture yet? Disinherit the two secondary heirs? Send them off alone to battle and pray that they die? Disinheriting sounds fine but it's also a huge expense of prestige.

If you're about to die losing prestige doesn't really matter. But also bear in kind that realm splitting doesn't matter either as long as your heir will have most of the counties, because then they'll easily be able to win the other titles back.

If non-primary heirs are being allocated more counties than your primary heir, conquering more may be the answer. Get another title on the level of your own that they can be given, which doesn't contain the counties you want to keep.

E: There is also murdering

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Big fan of tanistry, especially once you’ve got the bloodline spread out a bit.

My 46 learning, 2 intrigue King of Ireland and Scotland’s first son was excommunicated so I disinherited that little poo poo. Then within the space of a year my second and third son were murdered and I got the “dead within a year” message.

Fine you fuckers, I’m now putting the Queen of Frisia as my heir with her 31 intrigue, and everyone who looks at me in the wrong way is getting put straight in the ground. You asked for this.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
If/when they do a Byzantine expansion, how do you think they ought to do it?

Here's how I'd have it work:
Copy the suffragian bishop thing from temple holdings to city holdings. Each city is now held by a Katepano, except for the city in the capital of each duchy, which is controlled by a Strategos (Technically it could be the other way around, since in the original heirarchy a Katepano administered multiple themes, but in the later periods was a low-level offical, but lets stick with this). Strategos titles are automatically assigned to the katepano of the city in the ducal capital (we're using cities here to represent the Penetes, minor landowners), but can be reassigned to nobles for no cost (I think this bit is important because the viceroyalty system in CK2 became unplayable once you got very large and had a strategos dying every few days). When you raise your levies, you receive only the levies of the Strategos and their Katepanos, which, because they're coming from city holdings, are paltry in comparison to what you could get from castle holdings.
Castle holdings are held by byzantine noble families (Dynatoi), just like in regular ck3, but they provide no levies and no taxes (or very little of both), making them dead weight in your empire, unless you assign them as Strategos of a theme, at which point they provide their full taxes and levies. A contract option can guarantee them a strategos position.

This would in theory allow you to run the empire in a sort of quasi North Korea mode where you curb the control of the Dynatoi by freezing them out of power and centralise control under the Emperor, but could leave you extremely hard up for troops if you have powerful neighbours attacking you. Thus the incentive is to give the Strategos titles to the Dynatoi, making you better able to fight off invasions from east and west. Every Dynatoi Strategos also gets an automatic claim on the Imperial title, as does every non-eunuch councillor. Having more than one Eunuch councillor starts dropping opinion with a stacking modifier. During succession, the various Strategos and Councillors would have the opportunity to press those claims. I'd also want managing popular opinion in Constantinople to be important, making the strength of the Theodosian Walls being tied to it during civil wars, and preventing councillors from pressing their claims if popular opinion of your heir is high enough (historically it was very hard to overthrow an emperor popular with the city, and very hard to maintain power after the city had turned on one). I'd maybe have this modified by the decision to declare an heir (which in this case would be making someone co-emperor). On succession maybe the new emperor gets +1 popular opinion and -1 short reign years per year they've been co-emperor, but only if they are over 16 on succession. So you can declare your 2 year old son co-emperor if you want, and if they get to 16 that'll be a +14 on both sides, but god help you if you die when your son is still a kid cause the bonus gets wiped out.

Ultimately I think it's important to thread the needle between "anyone can be declared emperor" (true) and "the empire was hereditary as long as everything wasn't going to poo poo" (also true). Similarly between "positions in the byzantine bureaucracy were not technically hereditary" (again, true) and "by the late byzantine empire the handful of Dynatoi families had a stranglehold on power and positions" (also true).

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you go into debt hiring mercenaries, does that affect anything? I'm noticing that the Abbasids really like doing this.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Oh dear me posted:

If you're about to die losing prestige doesn't really matter. But also bear in kind that realm splitting doesn't matter either as long as your heir will have most of the counties, because then they'll easily be able to win the other titles back.

If non-primary heirs are being allocated more counties than your primary heir, conquering more may be the answer. Get another title on the level of your own that they can be given, which doesn't contain the counties you want to keep.

E: There is also murdering

Good points, maybe I'll keep trucking on and see what happens, I destroyed the castillian kingdom titles and unified them all under the kingdom of Leon, and that is going to my primary heir anyway, so it won't be too bad I guess.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Broken Cog posted:

If you go into debt hiring mercenaries, does that affect anything? I'm noticing that the Abbasids really like doing this.

If you're in debt your armies (all of them not just mercs) get a combat penalty

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you're in debt your armies (all of them not just mercs) get a combat penalty

Yeah, you got that penalty in CK2 as well, but in addition to that, mercs could choose to turn on you if they didn't get paid. Just seems weird that that would be the only penalty.

Also, which number is correct? The Total Soldiers on the war screen, the Total Soldiers on the character screen, or the troops actually running around? Because in the case of the guy I'm fighting right now, they are 1610, 2520 and 6400 respectively.
And yeah, they all fly his banner.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 13, 2020

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
So is there any reason to not just go all in on archers (and siege weapons) for MAA? It seems like the AI is heavily inclined to go light footman (probably because they're the cheapest and the AI has no patience), and sticking with one MAA type means you can focus on getting bonuses from buildings for that one type.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
While the AI does seem to focus on getting skirmishers early on I've found they begin to diversify pretty quickly. And having at least one group of cavalry for pursuit is very useful.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, you got that penalty in CK2 as well, but in addition to that, mercs could choose to turn on you if they didn't get paid. Just seems weird that that would be the only penalty.

Also, which number is correct? The Total Soldiers on the war screen, the Total Soldiers on the character screen, or the troops actually running around? Because in the case of the guy I'm fighting right now, they are 1610, 2520 and 6400 respectively.
And yeah, they all fly his banner.

In CK3, you pay the mercenaries upfront for a 3-year contract. When that is about to expire, you'll get the option to renew them. If you don't, they'll leave when the contract runs out.

The number on the war screen tells you the combined number of troops of your opponents and his allies, the character screen tells you the number of troops of that particular character, and the troops on the map tells you the number of soldiers in that particular army. That's how it should go, at least. Your numbers clearly aren't reflecting that at all, so I don't know what's going on there.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

disaster pastor posted:

I feel silly asking this, but is there a magic button or a specific place in the county that you have to right-click for a siege to happen? It seems like I can't consistently make them work. In particular, I just marched my 2000-strong army all over Ruthenia, clicking on the province and the little circle where the settlement is, showing up and waiting, and no siege ever started, except when an allied army of 1200 went and sieged someplace I'd already been and when I went back I was allowed to join them.

This is the only thing that seems like a straightforward step backward from CK2. There seems to be no point in having cities and temples be separate provinces on the map other than to make wars an enormous pain in the rear end where I'm constantly zooming way in to micromanage movements and always end up with a bunch of dudes sitting around wasting time anyway. If this is at all moddable, I hope it gets modded.

Am I missing some positive side of this change?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Yeah if I'm going to be allowed to physically go to unwalled cities and temples I'm at war with then I should be able to loot them if nothing else

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

The Little Kielbasa posted:

This is the only thing that seems like a straightforward step backward from CK2. There seems to be no point in having cities and temples be separate provinces on the map other than to make wars an enormous pain in the rear end where I'm constantly zooming way in to micromanage movements and always end up with a bunch of dudes sitting around wasting time anyway. If this is at all moddable, I hope it gets modded.

Am I missing some positive side of this change?

It gives you more flexibility in movement rather than have every move be county capital -> county capital. It also means you can go through enemy counties without fighting, even if they are camping on the main holding.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So If I have the quick trait and so does my spouse... but my heir doesn't that pretty much means she cheated on me, right?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

FrickenMoron posted:

So If I have the quick trait and so does my spouse... but my heir doesn't that pretty much means she cheated on me, right?

Despite what the marriage screen says, both parents having a congenital trait does not mean it's 100% guaranteed the kid will have it or the reinforced version. They might have none, or even the lower version of it.
The Blood dynasty perks and the "Strengthen Bloodline" decisions makes it extremely likely that the parents pass on their traits though.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Broken Cog posted:

Despite what the marriage screen says, both parents having a congenital trait does not mean it's 100% guaranteed the kid will have it or the reinforced version. They might have none, or even the lower version of it.
The Blood dynasty perks and the "Strengthen Bloodline" decisions makes it extremely likely that the parents pass on their traits though.

Whats the easiest way to dispose of a "bad" heir like that then?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

FrickenMoron posted:

Or you just got unlucky, I think even with two parents have the same congenial trait, the chance of passing it down is not a 100%.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Angry Lobster posted:

Or you just got unlucky, I think even with two parents have the same congenial trait, the chance of passing it down is not a 100%.

The game should not say that it will be passed down then, I hate false info like this.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

FrickenMoron posted:

Whats the easiest way to dispose of a "bad" heir like that then?

The boring way is to just disinherit the main heir, though if you're not willing to spend the renown, you're gonna have to get your hands dirty. Most popular way of disposing of unwanted heirs seems to be by making them commanders of a small army and send them into losing battles.

If your character is sadistic, you can actually plot to murder them directly.

Edit: There is also one specific event when using the Hunt decision where you can murder your main heir, free of consequence. It's random though.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 13, 2020

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
A way to tell an army "go to this county and siege every barony required one by one" would be nice, as would a way to tell raiders to follow a path and raid everything they come across. Having to constantly keep track of all your raiders gets really annoying when you have three or four armies doing it at the same time.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Oh my god. I have 100+ hours in the game now, and I just this moment realized that children have education focuses that you can choose/change, the same as in CK2. Wow.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

For people who went all in on learning, how much does it actually affect your cultural fascination speed?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The decision has stayed with me since the beginning of the game and shows no signs of going away, no matter how many times it's used. I guess it's so that you have an easy way to keep Scandinavian Elective as you conquer new stuff?

I figured it out. At the time, I was able to create another two empires but hadn't yet. Every time I would enact the Scandinavian Elective decision, nothing would change. As in, the tooltip wouldn't name any new titles that were gaining the new succession laws. However, after creating said Empire titles, enacting the decision actually did apply the new laws to said empires. Prior to this, the decision seemed to go away after said titles had their laws changed, hence the confusion on my part. And prior to creating the new Empires, the game would let me keep on spending the prestige on nothing for some odd reason.

In other, far more metal news, this dude for reasons completely unbeknownst to me, just up and shanked my daughter in broad daylight at a feast.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
well I managed to subjugate Alba so now I've got 46 of the 71 counties I need to form the empire. I think I'm unlikely to succeed at that during my current life (mostly cuz of loving Sweden), which means I probably hosed up cuz Alba will get sent off to someone else unless I can force enough votes to keep everything under the same tanist.

also because I got fuckin burned on events that sacked a bunch of my Prestige so now I can't declare wars so gently caress me.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Swedish Horror posted:

For people who went all in on learning, how much does it actually affect your cultural fascination speed?

It's not difficult to get your fascination up to 100% chance monthly. It will still take years to complete because your learning doesn't have any effect on how many points go towards the development, but at least you can pick something other than the exposure and be making decent progress on two things at once.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Swedish Horror posted:

Base chance for all Innovations is 5%.
Base bonus for Fascination is 20%.
Each point of Learning adds 2% to Fascination.
The Perk gives 35% to Fascination.

So with zero Learning the Perk itself more than doubles the speed.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

abrosheen posted:

Oh my god. I have 100+ hours in the game now, and I just this moment realized that children have education focuses that you can choose/change, the same as in CK2. Wow.

Yeah, and they pretty much made them to be as stupid and unwieldy as possible. The game just sets them itself without telling you anything. It takes your Childhood Trait into account, but not the mentor. It's entirely possible to assign your Bossy kid to a Brilliant Strategist, only to realize a few years later that they'd been taught Stewardship instead. And the way upbringing works in CK3, it absolutely matters, because their main skill has a chance to grow every year based on the currently chosen focus.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Swedish Horror posted:

Banemaster posted:

Base chance for all Innovations is 5%.
Base bonus for Fascination is 20%.
Each point of Learning adds 2% to Fascination.
The Perk gives 35% to Fascination.

So with zero Learning the Perk itself more than doubles the speed.

It matters, but there are a lot of things that matter as much or more that you can use to compensate with.

For comparison between one of my early characters (hog wild on the scholar stuff, but with a low base learning) and his grandson (more military focused, but I picked up the fascination bonus perk, and his base learning is much higher).

100% of a 0.44 growth should on average be more than 80% of 0.5 growth, but on the other hand, that statistical advantage comes in large part because of a bunch of other bonuses that even a non-scholar could acquire pretty easily.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i random started as some count level ruler in yemen yesterday, and because tribals use prestige to buy men-at-arms and they also can use the "conquest" cb, i formed and conquered the kingdom of yemen in like 10 years. now im considering whether to cross the strait into africa or go north into arabia but im already asking myself what is the goal here? in my 650 hours in ck2 and now in ck3 i tend to play feudal christians, sometimes muslims or vikings but rarely tribal otherwise. what is the drawback to just staying tribal? is it gonna be culture tech in the coming years? should i conquer frantically until a certain point and then convert? any ideas for goals for yemen?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

abrosheen posted:

... did you get an event telling you to take a relaxing break to reduce your stress or something?

Well anyway I've only put in a dozen-odd hours but I had no idea either. This revamped interface could use some re-revamping.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Tippis posted:

It matters, but there are a lot of things that matter as much or more that you can use to compensate with.

For comparison between one of my early characters (hog wild on the scholar stuff, but with a low base learning) and his grandson (more military focused, but I picked up the fascination bonus perk, and his base learning is much higher).

100% of a 0.44 growth should on average be more than 80% of 0.5 growth, but on the other hand, that statistical advantage comes in large part because of a bunch of other bonuses that even a non-scholar could acquire pretty easily.

Why are you doing this, it hurts 🙁

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Also re: the combat outcome predictions mentioned earlier, I got a screenshot of a pretty extreme example of how wrong they can be.

The prediction:

The battle:

This is a very extreme example because my army is entirely MAA and a ton of knights who are all incredibly buffed by various buildings I have (I have 33 knights with 255% effectivenes) and I think the game doesn't consider these factors when judging combat effectiveness, so there are times when you just kind of have to learn how to feel it out about whether you can win or not.

Supposedly there is a rollover bug so if you are way stronger it rolls over and says you're weaker.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

BabyFur Denny posted:

Why are you doing this, it hurts 🙁

Because otherwise I'd have a clue about how to play the game and that's nowhere as fun. :D

Coincidentally, the way the tool tips describe it all, it almost seems like you'd benefit hugely from not spreading your culture. That's a bit… odd.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Tippis posted:

Because otherwise I'd have a clue about how to play the game and that's nowhere as fun. :D

Coincidentally, the way the tool tips describe it all, it almost seems like you'd benefit hugely from not spreading your culture. That's a bit… odd.

No you shouldn't double dip on Fascination and Exposure bonus if you're already hitting 100% on Fascination. Put your focus somewhere else to basically have two innovations grow.

And yes a culture with very few counties (e.g. Maghreb in 867) has a much easier time growing than huge cultures. And converting counties to your culture can hurt you quite a bit.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Broken Cog posted:

It gives you more flexibility in movement rather than have every move be county capital -> county capital. It also means you can go through enemy counties without fighting, even if they are camping on the main holding.

This in no way seems to balance out tripling-quintupling the micro burden in managing wars of any significant size from CK2, especially because some baronies don't actually have anything to siege and none of this is readily parsable on the default map.

e:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Someone managed to do the Hellenism switch.

Hero

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 13, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Someone managed to do the Hellenism switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHzHhHi-k-Y

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

BabyFur Denny posted:

No you shouldn't double dip on Fascination and Exposure bonus if you're already hitting 100% on Fascination. Put your focus somewhere else to basically have two innovations grow.

Oh, that part actually has an answer and is easy: because I needed that last innovation asap to open up the next era. Time was vastly more important than innovation efficiency.

The one with exposure was already the furthest along, but leaving it at 45% discovery chance while muddling away at some secondary, less necessary innovation at a lower completion would more than double the time until middle-age progression was being made. It was a fair chance that my ruler would have died by then, so it was worth to get a head start on more important options.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

How can I get more concubines? This dude is a sadist so his newly formed empire will probably have a knife or two in the back. I'm not popping off enough kids to sadistically cull my children and part of that is because the only available concubine is a 55 year old woman. Do I need to send off a 50 gold gift/romance schemes in other courts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
My blind half sisters decided during my feast to get drunk and go out and ride the horses, with predictable results.