Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

stev posted:

It's almost like she's using this dumb garbage series to put forward some personal views.

I have no idea what you could possibly mean

https://www.them.us/story/is-jk-rowling-transphobic posted:

For a more alarming look at Rowling’s thought process when it comes to the trans community, it's useful to examine a scene from her novel The Silkworm, published under the pen name Robert Galbraith. In the scene, a trans woman, Pippa, follows and tries to stab the protagonist, Cormoran Strike, before getting trapped in Strike’s office. After demanding Pippa’s ID, her trans status is revealed and her visible Adam’s apple is noted, while it's noted that her hands were jammed in her pockets. Pippa tries several times to escape the office before Strike finally says, “‘If you go for that door one more time I’m calling the police and I’ll testify and be glad to watch you go down for attempted murder. And it won’t be fun for you Pippa,’ he added. ‘Not pre-op.’”

edit: no i am not letting this alone start a new page. here is a video about the number 63 that I have not watched yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09JslnY7W_k

Angepain fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Headline in Independent:

quote:

Brexit news - live: Justice secretary could resign if Boris Johnson’s bill breaks law in ‘unacceptable way’

Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-news-live-latest-boris-johnson-bill-no-deal-eu-uk-today-b433690.html

(not quoting whole as it's in the rolling live feed).

Is there then an acceptable way of a government minister breaking the law? Define 'acceptable'. And can we all use that excuse?
If it is broken in a way acceptable to UKMT, for example.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As a freeman upon this land and also a boat, I JOHNSON:, boris declare that no law shall bind me as per the Manga Cart.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

One of the most powerfully brainwormed centrists I know is moving out of the country and selling all of his stuff on Facebook. He's going through with it with an unbearably smug privelage, like choosing to up sticks and move abroad is something everyone should be doing, or could afford to be doing.

Eh. I won't begrudge people for taking the opportunity to be smug at the state of this benighted isle and point out that they will just gently caress off somewhere nice while the gammons who voted to shoot themselves in both feet bleed all over the floor.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 13, 2020

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

suck my woke dick posted:

Eh. I won't begrudge people for taking the opportunity to be smug at the state of this benighted isle and point out that they will just gently caress off somewhere nice while the gammons who voted to shoot themselves in both feet bleed all over the floor.

I begrudge the absolute hell out of them, as they are cunts. I hope their cheeses are forever underripe and their wines sour

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Unkempt posted:

It occurs to me that there should be some sort of licensing system for landlords; only after passing a series of tests on the legality and ethics of property letting would someone be given a licence to do so and then have their head neatly snipped off

It could be like those deliberately confusing racist voting tests from America.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Continuity RCP posted:

I begrudge the absolute hell out of them, as they are cunts. I hope their cheeses are forever underripe and their wines sour

Being a oval office to absolute assholes who have it coming is ok though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the suggestion is they're being smug at literally everyone who isn't moving to europe.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Continuity RCP posted:

If I could leave I would be extremely smug about it but as I can't afford to gently caress off I am very mad at those who can

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I think the suggestion is they're being smug at literally everyone who isn't moving to europe.
Yeah, it's very much a "gently caress you Britain, hope you burn" vibe. But the gammons didn't just shoot themselves in the foot, there are a ton of disabled, poor and refugee types who don't have the option of leaving, and are going to be the first to get hosed by TurboAusterity 2.1 (The Racism Update).

The worst thing is that he's not even doing it out of fear or anger, which I could kind of understand. Instead it's this smug FBPE big statement of how much he believes in the European project.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 13, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I made a little The UK is hosed playlist (won't link all the vids) so have just had a lovely hour of banging my head with the headphones on loud.

Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
Metallica - For Whom The Bell Tolls
Candlemass - Demon's Gate
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

And now I'm listening to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX7V3ReOI8c

Am thinking I should get fit and go to one of those krav maga training schools to learn me some self-defence.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 13, 2020

Absolute Zeroes
Apr 1, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

If I could leave I would be extremely smug about it but as I can't afford to gently caress off I am very mad at those who can

I can and will admit I feel smug as poo poo everyday. But I know it’s a privilege and some amount of luck that allowed me to get the hell out of the UK in a timely manner. Maxing the poo poo out of several credit cards in in the process. Just currently worrying if Jonson bins the WA, what does that do to our current ease of residency in Europe.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Tsietisin posted:

Yup, looks like they know the sitution they are in. You will be holding up renovation until you leave, costing them void rent periods.

Fire back with £5,000 as an offer to leave on the date requested. Or higher if you are feeling lucky.

Based on the conversations I overheard between the surveyor and the architect, the new buyer is going to make it one single nice house and sell it. I live in East Dulwich where many 'investors' buy old houses, renovate them and sell them for a fortune. It's pure speculation, but I believe the new buyer has no intention to let the flats/house; they want to have it renovated and put it up for sale.

My personal preference is to stay in the flat for 6 months because it gives me time to find something suitable and I don't have to move during a pandemic, but if they can offer £5K or more, I'd probably consider it.

I want to thank everyone who has responded to me and pitched in with their comments one more time. I feel reassured and confident that I don't have to go along with the buyer's/letting agency's wishes, all thanks to the amazing UKMT goons.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

bornbytheriver posted:

Based on the conversations I overheard between the surveyor and the architect, the new buyer is going to make it one single nice house and sell it. I live in East Dulwich where many 'investors' buy old houses, renovate them and sell them for a fortune. It's pure speculation, but I believe the new buyer has no intention to let the flats/house; they want to have it renovated and put it up for sale.

My personal preference is to stay in the flat for 6 months because it gives me time to find something suitable and I don't have to move during a pandemic, but if they can offer £5K or more, I'd probably consider it.

I want to thank everyone who has responded to me and pitched in with their comments one more time. I feel reassured and confident that I don't have to go along with the buyer's/letting agency's wishes, all thanks to the amazing UKMT goons.

Whoever buys it as a single unit is *absolutely* going to split it back into flats, probably considerably smaller than the ones currently there, definitely of a much lower quality, and sell it on for an absolute fortune, and thus the GDP increases and everyone's a winner (not that "everyone" means "everyone in the same socioeconomic class as our elected representatives and media, everyone else doesn't actually exist")

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

bornbytheriver posted:

sabotage the house when you leave

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I can't see that they'll be that fussed to throw money at you to go away? Like surely they'll just accept that they'll have to wait for 6 months to a year to get possession, during which they'll still be being paid rent anyway. Really what would be worst for them is if two of the flats vacate now but you stick it out for a year or something so they only get 1 third of the rent they otherwise would have got.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
One of the tenants already responded to the letting agency, they rejected the offer and said that they will exercise their right to stay for 6 months. The lady on the ground floor told them that if they can find her a good quality flat for the amount she pays now, she'll consider relocating. I didn't want to respond to them until Monday.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
My other concern now is that if one of the tenants does decide to vacate, the building work will start and I'll be effectively spending my time on a construction site. I am working from home and really, really don't want to be surrounded by wall breaking and construction.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jose posted:

so after making corbyn the villain in her last book she's gone for this

Oh good it's gonna be another exhausting month of Discourse.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

bornbytheriver posted:

My other concern now is that if one of the tenants does decide to vacate, the building work will start and I'll be effectively spending my time on a construction site. I am working from home and really, really don't want to be surrounded by wall breaking and construction.

Not that its necessarily helpful but if their plans need permission you should be able to look up online with your local planning authority to see what they are intending to do. They might not need this or have lodged them yet but maybe it would give you some clue as to how bad and noisy any works are likely to be?#

ALso you have the right to quiet enjoyment of the property or something like that which you might be able to argue they are breaking and stop them until after youve left or get compensation. Probably the podcast guy knows more about this and can advise better...

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 13, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

bornbytheriver posted:

I believe tenants are entitled to "quiet enjoyment" of their property, so you might have a case against them if they started working within the same building, but I'm not sure on that.

I'll be very surprised if they are turning it back into one house and don't need vacant possession. They might not even get permission to convert it back from the council. Something isn't sounding quite right. In any case, if they do buy it with you in place then you need to make sure they protect your deposit properly and do all the other things a landlord must comply with like gas Safe certs etc.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

bornbytheriver posted:

One of the tenants already responded to the letting agency, they rejected the offer and said that they will exercise their right to stay for 6 months. The lady on the ground floor told them that if they can find her a good quality flat for the amount she pays now, she'll consider relocating. I didn't want to respond to them until Monday.

:munch:

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Not that its necessarily helpful but if their plans need permission you should be able to look up online with your local planning authority to see what they are intending to do. They might not need this or have lodged them yet but maybe it would give you some clue as to how bad and noisy any works are likely to be?#
Indeed. I am going to take a look, but will bear in mind that they may have not submitted their request yet.

Lungboy posted:

I'll be very surprised if they are turning it back into one house and don't need vacant possession. They might not even get permission to convert it back from the council. Something isn't sounding quite right. In any case, if they do buy it with you in place then you need to make sure they protect your deposit properly and do all the other things a landlord must comply with like gas Safe certs etc.

Good to know.

This chimes in with a separate request the letting agency sent last Wednesday asking that I let a 'contractor to attend to carry out an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate)'. I have agreed that they can come on Monday, but if they turn up without a mask and gloves (like the architect, the surveyor and the handyman did the other day), I'll send them on their way.

The agency also for the first time since taking over the contract back in 2018 sent me an email on Sept 8:

Good morning xxxxx,

We are just going through some housekeeping and note that you have not been provided with a copy of the Prescribed Information following the transfer of the security deposit in 2016. In this regard please find attached a copy of your tenancy agreement from xxxxx which includes the prescribed information for your records.

Please further find a copy of your updated gas safety certificate for your records.

I personally checked my DPS record back in 2018 to ensure that my deposit was transferred to the new agency and I also keep records of the safety records myself because I always make sure I am at the property when gas inspections happen.

Can you believe these bastards?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

bornbytheriver posted:

This chimes in with a separate request the letting agency sent last Wednesday asking that I let a 'contractor to attend to carry out an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate)'.

They will have needed this to sell the house.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
They are probably lying that the house has been sold. It echoes the doubts of several of you on here.

Also, I keep saying that the agency took over my contract in 2018, it's actually 2016. I am being a doofus.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

NotJustANumber99 posted:

They will have needed this to sell the house.

Also sounds like they might have realised that none of their paperwork was in place for a valid s21.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lungboy posted:

I'll be very surprised if they are turning it back into one house and don't need vacant possession. They might not even get permission to convert it back from the council.

You might be able to check this online, by the way. Barking certainly has planning applications visible online which is how I found out my landlord was trying to appeal a planning decision against turning the place I live in into an airbnb and the council told him to do one (again).

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

bornbytheriver posted:

Apologies, I probably didn't express myself correctly. What I meant is that if they reimburse 2 months worth of rent, for me personally it'll be £1400, and given London's extortionate rent rates, it's peanuts.

Sure, here it is:

Good afternoon xxxxxx,

As you may be aware the landlords are currently selling the property. To keep you up to date, I can confirm that the property is due to exchange contracts on the 11th September 2020.

Due to building works required to be carried out on the property, the buyers wish to inform you that they will be serving notice upon exchange of contracts giving you 2 months to vacate. They understand that this is never a nice situation to be in and therefore as an apology for the inconvenience they are causing and as a gesture of goodwill they have offered to pay the last two months’ rent back to you, in full, upon vacating. The suggested date to vacate the property is the 20th November 2020.

xxxxxx will work to find alternative accommodation for yourselves.

We would be grateful to receive your thoughts on the above and whether you would be willing to accept?

Kind regards,

xxxxxx

Hahaha they're hosed. Utterly hosed.

Stick it out they can't touch you.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

stev posted:

Trying to get a respiratory condition diagnosed this year is really loving fun.

"You're coughing heavily at night? Probably covid, better have a test."
"Oh it's negative? Hopefully it'll go away on its own in a few weeks."
"It's the same after three months? That's long enough that you should have another test."
"The cough is far worse and you're struggling to catch your breath? Only covid could explain this change in symptoms." :bang:

Turns out a GP telling you to get tested doesn't help with the process of actually getting a test on the NHS, so I'm forced to pay for one privately if I want to receive any further investigations/treatment for something totally unrelated.

Surely there must be a lot of people in limbo who need a test to get other stuff looked into, but can't afford to just buy one.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

serious gaylord posted:

Hahaha they're hosed. Utterly hosed.

Stick it out they can't touch you.

And given everything else you said OP, have a check and see if your current landlord is actually a registered landlord as most (if not all) London boroughs now require!
Given the lack of everything else, they might not be! Then you can poo poo stir there.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I have the opposite problem to the above poster in that my housemate is an obnoxious dingus I want to get rid of, I've talked to the landlady and said she'd give him notice when the contract runs out but now looks like I'll be living with him for another 6 months.

I really don't want to move out as my house is perfectly situated between my family, work and girlfriend, its the only house I've had in ten years that has allowed a cat (that the landlords known about) and I have made a lot of friends locally. Plus I can't afford to move really and anywhere in my price range isn't suitable.

He's driving me daft, pisses all over the floor, stays up til 5 laughing at How I Met Your Mother, his boyfriend has been coming round every weekend during lockdown (and he lives with ten other people) and he hasn't left the house since he moved in. Been stressing me out so much I've been grinding my teeth, (cracking one, hence having the filling the other day) and struggle focusing on anything. I work from home teaching people with mental health issues and in the background he's just laughing away, every day.

I'm going to ask him to move out this week anyway, who knows.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Have you spoken to him about it? You'd hope that with some people being obnoxious is just that they don't realise how big of an rear end in a top hat they are being?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

justcola posted:

I have the opposite problem to the above poster in that my housemate is an obnoxious dingus I want to get rid of, I've talked to the landlady and said she'd give him notice when the contract runs out but now looks like I'll be living with him for another 6 months.

I really don't want to move out as my house is perfectly situated between my family, work and girlfriend, its the only house I've had in ten years that has allowed a cat (that the landlords known about) and I have made a lot of friends locally. Plus I can't afford to move really and anywhere in my price range isn't suitable.

He's driving me daft, pisses all over the floor, stays up til 5 laughing at How I Met Your Mother, his boyfriend has been coming round every weekend during lockdown (and he lives with ten other people) and he hasn't left the house since he moved in. Been stressing me out so much I've been grinding my teeth, (cracking one, hence having the filling the other day) and struggle focusing on anything. I work from home teaching people with mental health issues and in the background he's just laughing away, every day.

I'm going to ask him to move out this week anyway, who knows.

He... pisses all over the floor?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In the bathroom, I assume, as in he misses a lot, not that he squats in the front room and pisses while making eye contact.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Necrothatcher posted:

I presumed the OP meant his 'missile guidance system' in the bog was somewhat misaligned rather than random pissing anywhere.
As per the rhyme "if you sprinkle when you tinkle, kindly wipe it up"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If he does piss in the front room while making eye contact then I am afraid OP that you have to assert dominance against him and poo poo in front of him while T posing. It's the only way.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah is he missing the bowl and not wiping up or is he in the kitchen pissing on the washing machine?

Angepain posted:

I have no idea what you could possibly mean

edit: no i am not letting this alone start a new page. here is a video about the number 63 that I have not watched yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09JslnY7W_k

Jesus Christ, you're a billionaire, just gently caress off forever and log off.

Honestly give me 10% of her money and you'll never hear from me again. I'd be too busy in the South of France having hedonistic orgies and drinking all the wine. But instead she's living in Edinburgh writing transphobic airport novels under A FAKE MALE NAME.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If I had 10% of JKR's wealth I'd buy a bunch of houses and rent them out under a system where the tenants end up purchasing the capital of the house themselves over the time that they live in it, and then poo poo on Fergus Wilson's carpet while T posing.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Josef bugman posted:

Have you spoken to him about it? You'd hope that with some people being obnoxious is just that they don't realise how big of an rear end in a top hat they are being?

I've spoken to him but he just laughs and says he doesn't care. With the pissing, its in the vicinity of the toilet but he never lifts the seat and just pisses all over the place, I don't get it. I've talked to him multiple times about everything but I'm not his dad and getting bored of it really.

Since making that last post I have rescued a bird from a cat so now have a bird in a shoebox with tissue paper and an empty tea light container filled with water. I tried taking the box to some woodland but he was stubborn so now the box is on my desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Guavanaut posted:

If I had 10% of JKR's wealth I'd buy a bunch of houses and rent them out under a system where the tenants end up purchasing the capital of the house themselves over the time that they live in it, and then poo poo on Fergus Wilson's carpet while T posing.

if you had that much money why not just give people the houses?