Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like Andy now.

Edit: what a topper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

y'all still keeping up with We Never Learn? Senpai arc is the best arc so far

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Carlosologist posted:

y'all still keeping up with We Never Learn? Senpai arc is the best arc so far

I am, and yeah, this arc is probably my favorite of the extra routes past Uruka's original ending.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Protodude posted:

Man I feel like an outlier here, I thought it was immediately funny and I feel like the premise lends itself to a lot of potential comedic moments. I don't mind Bone Collection being replaced with this, that series only felt like it reached it's true potential in the last two chapters.

Yeah, I think that the people who don't like it don't really understand what it's going for (the strong negative reaction is kind of baffling, though). It remains to be seen how it holds up in terms of comedy, but it has a good aesthetic for a gag manga.

Darth TNT posted:

I dropped Ayakashi 2 weeks ago. It took me a long time to drop it, because it seemed like it could be fun and I love that art style. Because of you I checked it out again. Now I'm sad., such wasted potential. :(

Really? That manga's art is about as close to a "generic manga style" as you can get. Which isn't necessary a bad thing (there's still a difference between people who are proficient at such a style and people who aren't), but it doesn't really stand out for that reason.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/me-and-roboco-chapter-9/chapter/21267?action=read

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Maybe the best chapter of Roboco so far, and that's saying something.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The Gorilla chapter lived up to every one of my absurd expectations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's the end to burn the witch huh? feels weird that it's not a regular weekly series and I wonder how they're handling it in the future

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's the end to burn the witch huh? feels weird that it's not a regular weekly series and I wonder how they're handling it in the future

It's going to get a 'second season' that will I think also be a short run.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wonder why the format is like that. like it doesn't really matter , it just seems strange

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Manatee Cannon posted:

wonder why the format is like that. like it doesn't really matter , it just seems strange

Y'know how postmodern literature deliberately eschews conventional linear plots and the like? I think Burn the Witch is Kubo's attempt at postmodern manga.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I assume the reason is "Keep Kubo from almost killing himself trying to maintain a long running series again."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dexo posted:

I am, and yeah, this arc is probably my favorite of the extra routes past Uruka's original ending.

tbf the main fanbase is clearly just waiting for the sensei arc and the author must know that. Don't think she ever fell below 1st once the popularity contests got going.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
big fan of this chapter of mashle

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1007686

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I've pretty much completely lost track of who is who in Mashle outside of the main character. The fact that everyone mostly wears the same thing certainly doesn't help.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
same but that doesn't stop me enjoying it

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I try to remember it as rock mage and gravity mage are mashle’s friends. this sword villain is the older brother of the kid that tried to set up mashle in like chapter 5 until he repented from the power of gags and mashle knee’ing teachers in the face (but I don’t think we’ve seen Finn’s power set because mashle went from explaining himself to the grand master into the gravity guy fight after all that). So the four main characters is mashle, blue haired gravity man, red hair’d rock dude and the final white streaked Finn kid

High school family is still holding up as the funniest gag manga I’ve read in a long time

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Which one is the sister dude

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

HenryEx posted:

Which one is the sister dude

Gravity man

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Professorjuggalo posted:

High school family is still holding up as the funniest gag manga I’ve read in a long time

I don't mind it as much as the rest of the thread does but man it doesn't hold a candle to roboco

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

CodfishCartographer posted:

I don't mind it as much as the rest of the thread does but man it doesn't hold a candle to roboco

Yea Roboco is way more dense and consistently funny panel to panel, but I'm not hating HS family. its trivial to read so I'll let it take me on whatever weird ride its trying to do.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
finally, a Shonen Jump series about teens battling demons

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jagged Jim posted:

I assume the reason is "Keep Kubo from almost killing himself trying to maintain a long running series again."

It's definitely this. Getting to take breaks every four chapters will definitely be better for him personally in the long run.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Perhaps the same could be said of all mangakas!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Really? That manga's art is about as close to a "generic manga style" as you can get. Which isn't necessary a bad thing (there's still a difference between people who are proficient at such a style and people who aren't), but it doesn't really stand out for that reason.

I know. The style is generic and very straight forward, having very little personality. It's just that I really like those sharp clean lines, spiky hair and sharp features. None of the manga I currently read have that, so seeing this style just attracts me.

Professorjuggalo posted:

I try to remember it as rock mage and gravity mage are mashle’s friends. this sword villain is the older brother of the kid that tried to set up mashle in like chapter 5 until he repented from the power of gags and mashle knee’ing teachers in the face (but I don’t think we’ve seen Finn’s power set because mashle went from explaining himself to the grand master into the gravity guy fight after all that). So the four main characters is mashle, blue haired gravity man, red hair’d rock dude and the final white streaked Finn kid

I was worried I was the only one who had no idea who the sword guy was.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Maybe the best chapter of Roboco so far, and that's saying something.

Gachi Gorilla and his extended family were great. And that incredibly stupid way of picking on Bondo.

Edit:
Agravity boys meanwhile starts up a sports arc! This should be fun.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 14, 2020

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BASE
BALL
EPISODE
BASE
BALL
EPISODE

And yeah re: Mashle. The main characters all have an easy to recognize look, but everyone else suffers a from same face.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Boco_T posted:

finally, a Shonen Jump series about teens battling demons

Now, these are vampires. Who just happen to manifest as evil spirits that can possess people.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Rigged Death Trap posted:

BASE
BALL
EPISODE
BASE
BALL
EPISODE

And yeah re: Mashle. The main characters all have an easy to recognize look, but everyone else suffers a from same face.

Um it's clearly Bass Ball, it's a completely different sport

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

more frieran

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
If you haven’t been reading Soukyou no Ariadne, then now is a good time to remedy that.

latest chapter HUGE SPOILERS IF YOU’RE NOT UP TO DATE

So time travel. And what happened to meme. And what the hell did Barbaros do to the lights and why

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Darth TNT posted:

If you haven’t been reading Soukyou no Ariadne, then now is a good time to remedy that.

latest chapter HUGE SPOILERS IF YOU’RE NOT UP TO DATE

So time travel. And what happened to meme. And what the hell did Barbaros do to the lights and why

It seems its not exactly Time Travel, but space-time is breaking down such that it allows the floating city people to 'go down', it sort of explains why they need to be weighed down.

Wild poo poo for sure

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

idk how I feel about that ch

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It seems its not exactly Time Travel, but space-time is breaking down such that it allows the floating city people to 'go down', it sort of explains why they need to be weighed down.

Wild poo poo for sure

This chapter seems to explain a lot. Leana seemed to have some memory problems earlier, so that explains that at least. It also explains why Barbaros suddenly showed up in the beginning and offed Lacile. He was already on his way to pick up his girls.

Considering the powers Leana had, it's safe to assume the twins were somehow created from the light by Barbaros for some reason. Which in turn broke space time?

I do love how Lululola was suddenly the audience surrogate with all her question marks.

Manatee Cannon posted:

idk how I feel about that ch

Why?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's kind of a lot, all at once.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Shaman King reboot mentioned a little while back will begin April of next year, here’s a trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=cp6stP2xLdk

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What's the deal with the new Shaman King? Is it a contuation or like Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

What's the deal with the new Shaman King? Is it a contuation or like Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood?

As far as I know it’s the latter (that is, a remake of the first anime that properly follows the manga).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's been a while, but IIRC the anime like splits from the manga around Volume 10 or so.

It's drastically different. Also the main villian has like completely different motivations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Never read the manga, but he was a pretty generic evil overlord in the anime from what little I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's kind of a lot, all at once.

True. It feels a bit weird how they went from "My henchmen will kill you and your little friends!" to "Let's info dump 4 chapters and throw in a bunch of flashbacks."
It's jarring and the only reason I'm not turned off is because I find the info they're dumping to be great.