Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Yeah, I think the crowd was just happy to see a good fight. They weren't cheering because dad got punched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mimesweeper posted:

Yeah, I think the crowd was just happy to see a good fight. They weren't cheering because dad got punched.

No, it was entirely about Dad getting punched. That as the whole point behind Gog's spiel about The Mass.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

It’s about the power of spectacle, and how the tyrant is bound to honor it; that’s the worm in the apple for Solomon.

So this is the same thing - in fact it’s about what he must have expected from the moment he said she had won, only without a successor. So it’s a more direct challenge to him than it would be if she just said ‘give me the throne.’

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, it was entirely about Dad getting punched. That as the whole point behind Gog's spiel about The Mass.

Yeah they were loving that poo poo, and it's understandable. And everything WC said is true; we know it, SD knows it. But if you're sitting in that crowd, it's a big pill to swallow with no immediate upside and I bet SD knows that too.

I can see him standing up to directly address the crowd and asking if that's really what they want, and if you're WC what do you do if the answer is a big fat NO? Force it on them because they don't know better?

Victis fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 13, 2020

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Victis posted:

Yeah they were loving that poo poo, and it's understandable. And everything WC said is true; we know it, SD knows it. But if you're sitting in that crowd, it's a big pill to swallow with no immediate upside and I bet SD knows that too.

I can see him standing up to directly address the crowd and asking if that's really what they want, and if you're WC what do you do if the answer is a big fat NO? Force it on them because they don't know better?

Then the people have spoken. But I believe you're overestimating how many actually buy into the whole Paternum thing and how many just go along with it because they know they'll get punished otherwise.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

While it would be a funny reddit-esque subversion for the people to be given power and then just go with "ok and now we vote in Solomon David to be the eternal king for ever and ever" I think it would be the most uninteresting and deflating ending for the book to have, just trashing the majority of the content of the book in the interest of a trivial shock.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

skaianDestiny posted:

Then the people have spoken. But I believe you're overestimating how many actually buy into the whole Paternum thing and how many just go along with it because they know they'll get punished otherwise.

Get punished for what? The prisons are empty. If anything, punishment is probably exile. SD puts on his useless tournament of blood every so often and then goes about his business. Even WC acknowledges that the people live well in this unyielding stasis.

edit: I love that the Squad have all developed their own inner fire (?)

Victis fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 13, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Victis posted:

Get punished for what? The prisons are empty. If anything, punishment is probably exile. SD puts on his useless tournament of blood every so often and then goes about his business. Even WC acknowledges that the people live well in this unyielding stasis.

edit: I love that the Squad have all developed their own inner fire (?)

the parable introducing us to solomon's rule started with an illegal liaison between a guardsman and a civilian woman and ended with an execution, a flogging, a prison term, and a child seized by the state

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Yeah where on Throne would one get the idea that the prisons of the Celestial Empire are empty? We also know one of the Ring of Power contenders/corpses was explicitly there to seek vengeance for the Peach Orchard Massacre on their homeworld, and Solomon tends to employ hardened violence-doers as his viceroys and satraps out on the peripheral worlds of the Empire.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Not that I expect it to play out this way, but there's not much reason the empire couldn't keep chugging along for a while; Dave's role in the running of the place isn't so much functional as symbolic. Sure he steps in to do the god king thing now and then, like finishing part of the coliseum or handing out judgements on petty disputes, but he has an army of clerks and public servants actually making it all work. His council of failsons are already nominally in charge, but for the fact that he sits on a throne at the head of the table and continually second guesses and overrules their deliberations.

If he just left them to it, would they gently caress it up immediately? Would the army refuse to respect them and pull a coup? Would the people riot without a living god to fear? Maybe, but none of that stuff is guaranteed to happen. It definitely won't happen if he stays, but things will never get better either.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah it would probably chug along forever if he just shut up one day and never said anything again and just sat there. Of course, it's the reaction to an actual abdication that'll tear it apart as everyone tries to grab power.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Victis posted:

God King launching a plebiscite on whether he keeps his throne is in and of itself a pretty big destabilizing act. Even if they initially say "yes" the fact that it was up to them to choose won't be forgotten.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

GunnerJ posted:

God King launching a plebiscite on whether he keeps his throne is in and of itself a pretty big destabilizing act. Even if they initially say "yes" the fact that it was up to them to choose won't be forgotten.

It would also be a direct repudiation of his philosophy to say “this is up to you, the people, rather than the Great Man (Me)” - honestly I could see an interesting and complicated situation in a story where they do vote him in, and continue to do so for decades, but with the growing awareness that there is a choice (and if Solomon David applies the scrupulous bureaucracy of his empire I bet you could have a highly efficiently administered democracy. And then the peripheral worlds are going to start voting for home rule).

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Tulip posted:

While it would be a funny reddit-esque subversion for the people to be given power and then just go with "ok and now we vote in Solomon David to be the eternal king for ever and ever" I think it would be the most uninteresting and deflating ending for the book to have, just trashing the majority of the content of the book in the interest of a trivial shock.

This about sums up my feelings. The people refusing freedom would be similar to the prediction that the comic as a whole ends with all the gates closed and every world sealed off from each other as the only way to end tyranny. It make sense if you apply a cynical logic to world of K6BD, but completely runs counter to the over-riding themes and emotional core of the story.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 13, 2020

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Solomon only holds power in his empire through violence, or the threat of violence. His peace is no real peace at all. Zoss just finished telling Allison that violence isn't the actual answer to anything(Except maybe wanting to kill someone I guess.). You need to break the cycle, not continue it in statis forever.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Lemony posted:

Solomon only holds power in his empire through violence, or the threat of violence.

How is that different from any government that has ever existed?

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
I don't think the empire would chug along at all? We've seen Dave ask his failsons for their opinions then immediately make the decision on his own, seen the fact that they would immediately turn on each other in a power struggle if not for the immediate physical threat of Dave himself, seen the army fanatically loyal to him personally, working themselves to death building his circle of strength monument. The impression I get is that he micromanages everything.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Magnus Manfist posted:

I don't think the empire would chug along at all? We've seen Dave ask his failsons for their opinions then immediately make the decision on his own, seen the fact that they would immediately turn on each other in a power struggle if not for the immediate physical threat of Dave himself, seen the army fanatically loyal to him personally, working themselves to death building his circle of strength monument. The impression I get is that he micromanages everything.

He clearly micromanaged Rayuba, but he also employs satraps and emissaries out in the periphery of the empire to incorporate other worlds into his rule.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

It's not. This is social commentary.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

It isn't any different at all, but Zoss and the comic are trying to create something better than what currently exists. Striving for something better that we can't even properly imagine seems like a decent thematic path to royalty for me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

"Holding a monopoly on violence" is not the same as ruling through violence.

I feel like a lot of people have a vague peripheral awareness of the phrase "the state holds a monopoly on violence" but absolutely none of the theory behind it, or even whether it's a bad thing.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Anyhow, apparently I can't stop making these. Ho There, Slamming or Jamming?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The most important act the God Emperor will ever do is to fall into the river and die so his empire can grow up without him.

Leto II at least put some effort into teaching his empire survival skills and self-sufficiency, but I'm sure this will be fine.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Lemony posted:

10 Vigilant Dunk Dominates The Court

edit: this needs work. gently caress. i need better words.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Renaissance Robot posted:

Not that I expect it to play out this way, but there's not much reason the empire couldn't keep chugging along for a while; Dave's role in the running of the place isn't so much functional as symbolic. Sure he steps in to do the god king thing now and then, like finishing part of the coliseum or handing out judgements on petty disputes, but he has an army of clerks and public servants actually making it all work. His council of failsons are already nominally in charge, but for the fact that he sits on a throne at the head of the table and continually second guesses and overrules their deliberations.

If he just left them to it, would they gently caress it up immediately? Would the army refuse to respect them and pull a coup? Would the people riot without a living god to fear? Maybe, but none of that stuff is guaranteed to happen. It definitely won't happen if he stays, but things will never get better either.

The big problem first and formost is the question of how any new government is going to last longer than someone pointing at the sky and saying something like "Hey, where'd that flying city come from?"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Solomon letting his worlds do what they want doesn't mean giving up his part in the pact of the seven part world. He'd just be going hands off with them.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Pact of the Seven-Part World says he's only allowed to do his demiurging in his designated fraction of the multiverse. That holds true whether or not he's involved in governing anyone who lives there. It's unclear whether any of the others would have any reason to escalate the war by involving his territory.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Benagain posted:

10 Vigilant Dunk Dominates The Court

edit: this needs work. gently caress. i need better words.

10 Vigilant Dunk Shatters the Backboard

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The big problem first and formost is the question of how any new government is going to last longer than someone pointing at the sky and saying something like "Hey, where'd that flying city come from?"

Raising this as a "major" problem doesn't really make sense in the context of the fiction we've actually seen and would really kind of rely on most of the action sequences from chapters 2, 3, and 4 being deprecated.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

10 Vigilant Defense Hammers the Boards

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

10 Vigilant D Cleanses His House

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 14, 2020

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
#10 Vigilant Center Commands the Court

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Princess is there; maybe she could tell SD what tends to happen to characters who renege on their promises to our protagonists.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Princess is there; maybe she could tell SD what tends to happen to characters who renege on their promises to our protagonists.

In song :v:.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
Mottom doesn't rule her territory as such, and she hasn't been invaded. I think Dave can still protect his turf while allowing for self-determination on how the people rule themselves.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
10 Vigilant J spells the horse

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Victis posted:

Having a laugh at your smug god getting punched and being faced with the dawning reality of what him stepping down entails are two completely separate things

Gog's right there literally drooling at the idea

Hey it's Nyave not Gog with her perfectly normal green flame. Wait a minute.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lemony posted:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Royal W posted:

Mottom doesn't rule her territory as such, and she hasn't been invaded. I think Dave can still protect his turf while allowing for self-determination on how the people rule themselves.

She does at this point - the guilds rule her worlds, and she's recently been showing that her whole speech about being trapped was bullshit by nationalizing them via public execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I mean if you want an example, Jadis has effectively abdicated control over her worlds to her priesthood and the other six are still respecting her claim.

Well, most. The real big issue and real question is if Gog is respecting the claim, which is especially relevant here if Solomon's worlds are moving to self-determination. It apparently wasn't enough to trigger all-out war when she entered contestants into the ring of power, but that may not have counted as a violation because he was explicitly inviting contestants from Throne and all worlds, not just his own. If she interferes in internal affairs of the Celestial Empire against Solomon's wishes, it probably counts as a full-on violation, but the current state of the pact is falling apart anyway and Solomon probably wouldn't be able to use the rest of the pact to stop her.