Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

How can I get more concubines? This dude is a sadist so his newly formed empire will probably have a knife or two in the back. I'm not popping off enough kids to sadistically cull my children and part of that is because the only available concubine is a 55 year old woman. Do I need to send off a 50 gold gift/romance schemes in other courts?

Use the search function to find an unmarried lady you want. Use the seduce or befriend scheme on her so she either loves/friends you, then invite her over.

Edit: You can also steal people's wives with the romance scheme -> Elope, if that's your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Female rulers not marrying matriliniary is loving up my Daura dynasty. Would reforming the faith as male preference change the inheritance laws of my titles?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Viking byzantine Roman emperor gives up on Odin after thousands of sacrifices go unanswered, decides to worship Jupiter instead

everyone else in the empire : Okay, I guess

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Excelzior posted:

Viking byzantine Roman emperor gives up on Odin after thousands of sacrifices go unanswered, decides to worship Jupiter instead

everyone else in the empire : Okay, I guess

Someone in the thread already said it but "When one of you mother fuckers find Zeus, tell him I'm looking for him."

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
so, uh, I might be able to form Brittania during my current dude's life. It's basically gonna come down to gold management because he has Generous so I'm losing 10% (and getting slammed during wars). I wish I could have more marshals doing more control gains but alas.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Traxis posted:

Supposedly there is a rollover bug so if you are way stronger it rolls over and says you're weaker.

Certainly seems to be, every drat fight I take my army into is a skull and crossbones. It's 56k vs 1k, I think I'll be ok unless I've stumbled into Sparta.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Someone was murdering everyone in my court. My wife. My marshal. I couldn't find the killer.

Only after my ruler died did I find out that it was him. That is some convincing acting- he even fooled himself.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Glass of Milk posted:

Someone was murdering everyone in my court. My wife. My marshal. I couldn't find the killer.

Only after my ruler died did I find out that it was him. That is some convincing acting- he even fooled himself.

It wasn't him! It was the Rats! The Rats!

THE RATS IN THE WALLS!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Would it be hard for a modded to add a “if character belongs to female dominated religion, prefer matrilineal marriages” check?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I know people hate societies but I do wish there were more things to do during peace time and I miss being a medieval academic writing papers on alchemy, taking part in fighting challenges or doing contracts for the Assassin order. There are already things in the game where you translate a text or train a horse and I'd love to see that stuff expanded on.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I love societies and really miss them, alongside artifacts. I love just collecting all these strange and fun items and being a dynasty of nerd bookwriters. It was a side goal and just great.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
When I get a big foreign vassal I like to convert the culture of their capital to my culture. That way they spend a little more time trying to keep their capital happy rather than messing with me, and eventually they will convert to my culture too.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like societies too but I get why people are so opposed to them but i dunno, you can do pretty much the same stuff with like "oh look i got all these little hobbies for my guys" while avoiding the stuff that was immersion breaking for others.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I just want more difference in regional/cultural/religious events and decisions. To spice things up a bit so that playing in Tibet feels different from playing in Britain or Yemen.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 13, 2020

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Broken Cog posted:

I just want more difference in regional/cultural/religious events and decisions. To spice things up a bit so that playing in Tibet feels different from playing in Britain or Yemen.

I just formed an empire out of the eastern half of Tibet and yeah, it could use a lot more flavor events in the region. Hailstorms, earthquakes, wild yaks, butter tea. It's also weird that the ruler titles and religious text is roughly 50% Tibetan and 50% some other language. Tsenpo and Gyalpo are Tibetan, but Prabhu derives from Sanskrit and appears to be a common-ish name in India. Sometimes they mention gelongs or lamas, but your chief religious character is a purohit, which is Indian again and AFAIK a Hindu term - certainly not Tibetan. And some of the flavor text refers to monasteries as gompas, but the actual temples in your territory are viharas.

Tempted to figure out modding so I can make one that fixes place-names and titles in Tibet, the nerdiest possible thing I can conceive of.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
oh for gently caress's sake. Needed 1 more county to make this empire title then somehow my brother-in-law split off 4 counties into his own little mini-kingdom of Great Moravia. Now I either gotta eat a bunch of opinion penalties to start taking poo poo back, or I gotta scramble to claim more things before my current dude dies.

How is it possible for someone to just break off like that? I may have missed a notice but he didn't have any hooks on me so I dunno how he just up and declared himself independent.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Btw, anyone got some interesting religious tenets that they'd recommend? I haven't tried playing with stuff like Sky Burials or Sun Worship, so I'm wondering if there's some hidden gems in there, since there's a lot to choose from when reforming.
Also if there's somethings that are region/culture specific.

Edit: For example, I think Ecclesiarchy is almost required if you plan to go big with your religion.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 13, 2020

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Well I slept with the wrong courtier by accident and now everyone in my realm, including my liege, is ridden with syphilis.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Skypie posted:

oh for gently caress's sake. Needed 1 more county to make this empire title then somehow my brother-in-law split off 4 counties into his own little mini-kingdom of Great Moravia. Now I either gotta eat a bunch of opinion penalties to start taking poo poo back, or I gotta scramble to claim more things before my current dude dies.

How is it possible for someone to just break off like that? I may have missed a notice but he didn't have any hooks on me so I dunno how he just up and declared himself independent.

You can create a new kingdom with a high cost and some prerequisites. But usually vassals can't gain titles at the same rank as their liege without a fight.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

eXXon posted:

You can create a new kingdom with a high cost and some prerequisites. But usually vassals can't gain titles at the same rank as their liege without a fight.

weird. well, he just died and it fractured everything back into individual duchies. since I'm the king of Ireland and the people are part of my dynasty, they're cool becoming my vassals.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

guns for tits posted:

Well I slept with the wrong courtier by accident and now everyone in my realm, including my liege, is ridden with syphilis.

My heir, a genious daughter, somehow got Lover's Pox when nobody else in the realm had it. She then proceeded to spread it to some of my vassals. Now half my court shows pustules :gonk:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Petter V, who's now moved on from Paradox Dev Studio but spent years churning out a lot of the top-quality event content you're now enjoying in the base game, just released his first mod: Tony Hawk's Pro Crusaders 1 + 2

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

LordMune posted:

Petter V, who's now moved on from Paradox Dev Studio but spent years churning out a lot of the top-quality event content you're now enjoying in the base game, just released his first mod: Tony Hawk's Pro Crusaders 1 + 2

quote:

* Genghis Khan spawns as a Skate Legend
* Genghis will never attack a fellow Skater
H4x.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
What actually happens with the big man when you're on that side of the map/in control of Mongolia yourself? Is there a decision to make yourself Genghis?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Mister Olympus posted:

What actually happens with the big man when you're on that side of the map/in control of Mongolia yourself? Is there a decision to make yourself Genghis?

This decision is in the files, written coincidentally by the same man:

code:
##########
#Become Genghis Khan
# by Petter Vilberg
become_greatest_of_khans_decision = {
Looks like you need to be Tengri, have high Fame, a capital on the steppes, and a whole bunch of gold and prestige.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
noooo I did manage to create a kingdom as Haesteinn but I did not hold Nantes personally and so the achievement didn't trigger :(

edit: after trying out a whole bunch of different starts I think I like starting at duke-level in a feudal realm the best - gonna give the Daura start another go because it's a fun tribal start but for the most part tribal starts just feels slow and you just know you have the looming and for the most part disastrous switch to feudal hanging over you

Martout fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 13, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Starting in Sardinia is a lot of fun also in the later start time.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The county with the mine is really OP when all you get to keep in partition is a single county.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I did it! :woop:

third generation, although this guy was part of the house and not my direct blood relation. All that said, I think it's funny how far my vassals spread in to Scandinavia since I was also able to create the Kingdom of Norway when I created the Empire of Brittania. I was hoping I'd have time to do the reclamation, but that's likely gonna be in my next ruler's life. Only lovely thing is having all that space in Scandinavia makes it easy for Sweden to knock off counties there instead of having to come for me, but I gotta fabricate claims anyway at this point.

I'm also a little concerned about the Norse vassals as they've been itching for independence for a couple decades, and I've only managed to stave it off via strategic assassinations or trying to win people over with Sway schemes and titles. It's worked for my dude who's been their king forever but probably not so much with a new ruler.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have progressed another 10 years and I haven't really changed this map (I tore off a duchy from Kaabu for my second son) and I'm really paralyzed in terms of building the long-term plan for the next 25 years lol

The three great empires of the north all have 15k troops compared to my 5k. They all have rich heartlands but the gap is mainly from my lack of development and low crown authority too, right? Could I focus on internal development enough to catch up? The lack of a solid core domain has probably been hamstringing me as well, the succession has always kept everything outside the capital county changing hands, but it's not like I can afford to build anything besides in the capital anyway.

In terms of geopolitics I am thinking about focusing my energy on befriending the Byzantines, on the logic that if either of the other powers go after me they would be in the position to engage them. Maybe I'm most likely to end up in conflict with the Nasraddin? Nubia seems like a reasonable next step to expand. Maybe I will link up that one county exclave near Ajuraan that I've had over there for a century lol

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Martout posted:

noooo I did manage to create a kingdom as Haesteinn but I did not hold Nantes personally and so the achievement didn't trigger :(

edit: after trying out a whole bunch of different starts I think I like starting at duke-level in a feudal realm the best - gonna give the Daura start another go because it's a fun tribal start but for the most part tribal starts just feels slow and you just know you have the looming and for the most part disastrous switch to feudal hanging over you

I really enjoyed the Tulunid Alexandria start, even if Egypt kind of sucks duchy wise. Alexandria/Cairo really should be buffed but they aside from their okay starting development they have no barony slots and are small.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Fourth most subscribed mod on Steam is the Undress mod, a bit silly since you can get your jollies off at any time, whenever you want, by clicking around India a little

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
My vassals do a good job converting the religion of conquered provinces, but I haven't seen a single one ever convert the county culture. Is this an ai bug? Is there a mod that can make them concentrate on cultural conversion after religious?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Glass of Milk posted:

It's somewhat bizzare to me (being new to the series) that your own character can do things that you don't tell them to do. But it's also awesome because it creates stories like this.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

BigRoman posted:

My vassals do a good job converting the religion of conquered provinces, but I haven't seen a single one ever convert the county culture. Is this an ai bug? Is there a mod that can make them concentrate on cultural conversion after religious?

I've seen my vassals spreading Russian around (suddenly I had Longboats again!), so it does happen.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

BigRoman posted:

I've seen it happen, but only rarely. Looking at the code...it appears that only dukes and above will try to convert culture, and they'll only do it if the province is adjacent to one of their culture, with a few culture-specific exceptions. So kind of simulating the old 'spread' mechanics, even though they can technically convert anywhere now. The AI will only also only choose to do it if they have at least five years of income saved up, and...jesus, vassals will only do it once every fifty years, that's kind of extreme.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I haven't played much of the the earlier start date. Does this have the mechanic from two where pagan characters would start to convert to one of the reformed religions as time passed?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
There is definitely more of my reformed religion now than there was 50 years ago without me actively sending my head priest out to convert counties, but I have also been spamming the "demand conversion" checkbox for prisoners I didn't care to execute or didn't have money to pay ransom, so I don't know what caused it exactly.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
When I saw the Stonehenge/Alexandrian Catechism synergy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Ethiser posted:

I haven't played much of the the earlier start date. Does this have the mechanic from two where pagan characters would start to convert to one of the reformed religions as time passed?
Almost the other way around. Once your reformed religion gets big and its fervor start dropping, it'll get "heresies" - but the only possible heresy will be the old faith, so people will randomly convert back to unreformed every decade or so.