Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Tree 9 and 15 are I believe both Buddleia. Tree 11 is a Mahonia/oregon grape. I think Tree 1 is some sort of Prunus/stone fruit/cherry

Sour cherry - Prunus cerasus is what the app says, but trying to do it from photos is giving me a headache so I'll go back out and try it in person tomorrow.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I am obligated by my research PI to tell you to load them up on iNaturalist. You'll get a bunch of responses in short enough order

Is this a "we enjoy doing this sort of thing" place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Tree 1 is some kind of cherry. Tree 11 might be in the Mahonia genus. 14 is fuckin dead. I feel bad for tree 8. It kinda looks like a catalpa, but could be any broad leaf. That blackberry is going to be fun to get rid of but it'll be worth it to rescue all the trees.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Sour cherry - Prunus cerasus is what the app says, but trying to do it from photos is giving me a headache so I'll go back out and try it in person tomorrow.

Do you remember if tree 7 has flowers, probably in spring/early summer? Specifically white ones that may (or may not) be fragrant? The growth habit/bark and maybe leaves look like Philadelphus/mock orange/English dogwood

E: looks like tree 13 may be more of the same?

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
13 is Philadelphus, probably coronarius. Worth waiting for some of them to flower before deciding on if you want to keep them or not

I haven't the time right now, but maybe tomorrow I could get a good number of them.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Ok, I have a cheese sandwich and five mins.

7 is a big ol' Weigela.

This screams "Grandma's garden" to me, so I'm guessing nothing too unusual for southeast England

Edit:. 14 is....dead? Most of them seem to be Buddleia, Weigela, maybe I saw a Kolkwitzia and some Lilacs.

RickRogers fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 13, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

RickRogers posted:

Ok, I have a cheese sandwich and five mins.

7 is a big ol' Weigela.

This screems "Grandma's garden" to me, so I'm guessing nothing too unusual for southeast England

Edit:. 14 is....dead?

It was indeed previously owned by a grandma.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Jaded Burnout posted:

It was indeed previously owned by a grandma.

Yeah hope that wasn't insensitive. I do actually appreciate the grandmas, their often overgrown gardens and their constant supply of coffee and biscuits.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Oh yeah, field biologists and birders do this poo poo for fun. Like, literally drink beers or get pizza with lab and do iNaturalist.

It’s a serious citizen science project. The anorak-y dudes who manage the databases are 1) dedicated pros, 2) students/postdocs managing their pet taxa/being pressured to be involved by their bosses 3) hardcore lay folk

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

RickRogers posted:

Yeah hope that wasn't insensitive. I do actually appreciate the grandmas, their often overgrown gardens and their constant supply of coffee and biscuits.

Not my grandma :) The woman who owned it before me owned it for 60 years, and honestly I wrecked it with renovation work when I moved in. What's left now is just what was sidelined enough to avoid the diggers, though I was quite miffed that the apple tree that was front and center "fell down" in suspicious circumstances between me buying the property and moving in.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Hooray for Grandmas then.

No. 3, I am pretty sure, at least the flowers jump out at me, is European spindle, or Euyonymus europaeus.
It has rather poisonous fruits! Not great if you have young children. Good if you wish to make pointy sticks. Some old gardener told me that you could get mild contact poisoning from it.:shrug:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

Oh yeah, field biologists and birders do this poo poo for fun. Like, literally drink beers or get pizza with lab and do iNaturalist.

It’s a serious citizen science project. The anorak-y dudes who manage the databases are 1) dedicated pros, 2) students/postdocs managing their pet taxa/being pressured to be involved by their bosses 3) hardcore lay folk

Donezo.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

RickRogers posted:

Hooray for Grandmas then.

No. 3, I am pretty sure, at least the flowers jump out at me, is European spindle, or Euyonymus europaeus.
It has rather poisonous fruits! Not great if you have young children. Good if you wish to make pointy sticks. Some old gardener told me that you could get mild contact poisoning from it.:shrug:

I knew that looked familiar! The North America Euyonymus americanus looks very similar. Deer love to eat them. I the wood of the european one got used for inlay work a good bit too.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Pepper question: I planted some of these: https://peppergeek.com/sugar-rush-peach-peppers, but too late, and only one of them has ripened so far with lots of them yellow on the plant. I don't know when our first frost will be (near Boston), but it's likely to be in the next month, and I doubt the rest will have ripened in time.

I know you can pick bell peppers when they are green and they're fine to eat (if not as sweet), but what about hot peppers?

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

Petey posted:

Pepper question: I planted some of these: https://peppergeek.com/sugar-rush-peach-peppers, but too late, and only one of them has ripened so far with lots of them yellow on the plant. I don't know when our first frost will be (near Boston), but it's likely to be in the next month, and I doubt the rest will have ripened in time.

I know you can pick bell peppers when they are green and they're fine to eat (if not as sweet), but what about hot peppers?

yes same, but they will be acidic tasting and not so good. You can bring a plant indoors, but to hasten ripening I'd remove most of the leaves and allow more airflow

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
1 is beech,
8 looks like it could be Hazel
10 is some kind of Laurel, maybe Portuguese, but I think it’d have fruits right now.
11 is some kind of holly
12 I think might be a Hydrangea
Budleias are correctly IDed.

Maybe try one of the ID apps for your phone as suggested.

Good luck, it took me about 8 months to id a tree in my garden.

Edit: 5 is Linden I think.
And 14 is dead so it matters not much.

wooger fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 14, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've been trying out various id apps and they're inconsistent enough that who knows. The good UK one is focused on wild species so a but useless to me.

I think the takeaway I have is I'm going to nuke the lot and start afresh, except maybe the big tall one at the back since it's so well established, but the building regulations people might make me take that out anyway.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've been trying out various id apps and they're inconsistent enough that who knows. The good UK one is focused on wild species so a but useless to me.

I think the takeaway I have is I'm going to nuke the lot and start afresh, except maybe the big tall one at the back since it's so well established, but the building regulations people might make me take that out anyway.

I think we really got them all though, at least genus-wise. Good news is there isn't anything """"special""""" to preserve imo, unless you have a weird cultivar that people stopped producing, or you count the spindle. At least it was good fun plant IDing.

Look forward to your " what the hell do I plant here" post!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

RickRogers posted:

I think we really got them all though, at least genus-wise. Good news is there isn't anything """"special""""" to preserve imo, unless you have a weird cultivar that people stopped producing, or you count the spindle. At least it was good fun plant IDing.

Look forward to your " what the hell do I plant here" post!

Thanks for the assistance! Was much appreciated.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mofette posted:

6, 9 and 15 are buddleia. Butterflies love them but I loathe them (despite my garden being planted for our winged friends)

They grow in every crack and crevace, you'll find them covering abandoned buildings in the cracks, in the roof, in the path etc.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28196221
Next door to me has been empty 2 years, and I haven't yet broken down and asked to tend their garden and get rid... it's covered and they are now growing in my bloody wall!!

I would get shot, and if you want them overall, get some more interesting varieties.

Buddleia are super invasive in SE England. You'll see tons of them in railway cuts if you look out the window next time you're riding a train. Some butterflies love them, but their destructive impact on butterfly habitat makes them not worthwhile. I would cut them down to the ground and paint the stumps with glyphosate.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Buddleia are super invasive in SE England. You'll see tons of them in railway cuts if you look out the window next time you're riding a train. Some butterflies love them, but their destructive impact on butterfly habitat makes them not worthwhile. I would cut them down to the ground and paint the stumps with glyphosate.

There are small sterile cultivars now, worth planting for the wildlife maybe.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'll be putting some stuff in for insects, but honestly I dislike them too. I'm sure I can find better alternatives.

Painting the stumps shouldn't be a problem; I don't plan on leaving any.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Mofette posted:

yes same, but they will be acidic tasting and not so good. You can bring a plant indoors, but to hasten ripening I'd remove most of the leaves and allow more airflow

wait what does removing leaves do?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

RickRogers posted:

There are small sterile cultivars now, worth planting for the wildlife maybe.

Or, you know, you could look up some plants that are indigenous to your area and actually preferred by the local wildlife?

Incidentally, tree 11 looks a little like Oregon grape. Does it put on clusters of blue, slightly grape-like berries? If so those are tart but make good jam.

Edit: yeah I see Kaiserschnitzel concurs. It's kinda funny seeing that growing in SE England. I just killed a holly bush in my garden (they're pretty invasive in the Pacific NW) and planted some Oregon grape instead, since they are indigenous here.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 15, 2020

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Or, you know, you could look up some plants that are indigenous to your area and actually preferred by the local wildlife?

I said 'maybe'.
South East England is not like the states, there is no real wilderness and national parks are small and fragmented. That leaves the house gardens to use whatever they can to get insect numbers up.
I concur that trying to use indigenous plants is nice, and in areas some areas necessary.
But being realistic, that biodiversity in England has reduced dramatically since the ice age, that overzealous planting of native species in suburban house gardens only has caused problems.
We have, for example, nearly wiped out swallowtail butterflies in England. In mainland Europe they are doing ok. There is only one plant in England they feed on and Europe has a number, which used to be native but retreated as the climate changed.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'll be putting some stuff in for insects, but honestly I dislike them too. I'm sure I can find better alternatives.

Painting the stumps shouldn't be a problem; I don't plan on leaving any.

The only one I would consider keeping would be tree 11, the mahonia. With just a little pruning that would be a pretty nice big specimen, and they've got great flowers/fruits. Very interesting looking plant, and its always nice to have something bloom in the late winter and early spring.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Petey posted:

Causes the plant to direct more energy into the fruit. You're stopping the main growing point, and the plant will search for somewhere else to put the power, so the fruit will absorb most of it, which will cause it to swell and ripen more quickly

Hate that I missed the plant ID party. Considering the other plants, I'm pretty surprised there isn't a viburnum of some sort in there somewhere but I can't find one

Also Jaded Burnout I would cut back 12 when you get rid of everything but not stump grind it yet. The color of the foliage looks real promising to me, and while I'm not ready to hang my hat on hydrangea, it could be something that would otherwise be cool but has been overshadowed and etoliated by the other plants. A clean up might go a long way!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oil of Paris posted:

The only one I would consider keeping would be tree 11, the mahonia. With just a little pruning that would be a pretty nice big specimen, and they've got great flowers/fruits. Very interesting looking plant, and its always nice to have something bloom in the late winter and early spring.

Oil of Paris posted:

Also Jaded Burnout I would cut back 12 when you get rid of everything but not stump grind it yet. The color of the foliage looks real promising to me, and while I'm not ready to hang my hat on hydrangea, it could be something that would otherwise be cool but has been overshadowed and etoliated by the other plants. A clean up might go a long way!

Much appreciated, thanks!

The only issue with keeping those two, is that they'd be sat between that fence and a new single storey building, so a) there might be foundation encroachment issues and b) they might actually get *less* sunlight.

Perhaps since they're small they could be transplanted elsewhere in the garden?

Edit: though now I look at images of flowering hydrangea I'm not sure it's for me. I'm not a fan of plants with big poofy flowers (see also Rhododendron).

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 16, 2020

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Fair enough on not liking hydrangea. Not totally willing to commit to that ID but it’s nbd to just tear it out if you don’t have the same curiosity lol

The mahonia doesn’t mind shade at all, they’re naturally an understory plant and can do well even in deep shade (of course Maximum flowers and fruit prefer more sun). Never heard of the roots causing damage to structures, i think it’s root system is pretty flat and fine, rather shallow. can’t see it getting thick enough to be a threat if you decide to just leave it there

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Alright, I'll give it some thought :)

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Edit: though now I look at images of flowering hydrangea I'm not sure it's for me. I'm not a fan of plants with big poofy flowers (see also Rhododendron).

I'm happy I'm not the only person who just doesn't like hydrangea.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Has anyone shared this yet?

Vampire’ parasite challenges the definition of a plant

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

reminds me of Monotropa uniflora

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I love parasitic plants. Especially mycoheterotrophs! I couldn't tell from the linked article if the Langsdorffia species were direct parasite of other plant roots or if they were parasites of the mycorrhyizal (fungal) networks that grow on plant roots.

Ghost pipes are my favorite to find although pinesap (Monotropa hypopitys) is pretty common around my neck of the woods as well. They're super small and usually have a particular tree they tend to grow nearby. This is the time of year to go look for them.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

vonnegutt posted:

I love parasitic plants. Especially mycoheterotrophs! I couldn't tell from the linked article if the Langsdorffia species were direct parasite of other plant roots or if they were parasites of the mycorrhyizal (fungal) networks that grow on plant roots.

Ghost pipes are my favorite to find although pinesap (Monotropa hypopitys) is pretty common around my neck of the woods as well. They're super small and usually have a particular tree they tend to grow nearby. This is the time of year to go look for them.

I really wish I could grow some ghost pipes but I'd guess the parasitic needs would make it pretty much impossible to do indoors. I lived too far south for them before and too far north now. :sigh:

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

They're pretty neat organisms. I've encountered some that look like a ghostly pinecone and I wish I took pictures when I came across it. It was growing at the base of a very large Douglas fir in an old growth forest. Super cool.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Wallet posted:

I'm happy I'm not the only person who just doesn't like hydrangea.

im not a huge fan of the puffball (Hydrangea arborescens) bc theyre pretty played out, but i loooove the native oakleaf (Hydrangea quercifolia), especially the ruby slippers cultivar. Spires instead of puffs, great transition from white to pink to red, then the slowly browning spires stay on for the rest of the season until you cut them off. And the fall colors of the leaves are very striking

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 17, 2020

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

Petey posted:

Allows airflow and hastens ripening

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

I decided to move some pepper plants inside. There’s two (jalapeño and Trinidad perfume) that hadn’t really gotten there yet and I’m not gonna move the buckets inside, but I may try to grow smaller ones in pots. Would I be better served by taking cuttings and trying to root them, or by starting some new seeds?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I'm still sorting through all my photos of the butterfly garden and trying to identify what I can, and I'll definitely post here for advice after. You all have already been super helpful, because the lists of good butterfly garden plants you gave me showed me what to look for. I've already been able to identify a lot of what's there!

For now, here's what it apparently looked like in 2014 when it was first planted and what it looks like now:

First priority is definitely going to be clearing more space for milkweed, which is there but has been pushed to the margins by spreading plants like cat mint and four-o-clocks. We have both common milkweed and swamp milkweed present, and there are some saved seeds in a shed somewhere too. Sounds like the best time to plant milkweed seeds is coming pretty soon.

I'm also definitely going to aggressively prune back those huge buttonbushes on either side (research says late winter for that). I can't believe they weren't even there six years ago.

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Oh drat that is an awesome space and totally not what I pictured I'm here for this one... :munch: