Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just drop like ten grand or whatever on one of those platforms with the half a dozen hydraulic cylinders, that’ll let you simulate up to 1g in most directions you’d normally experience while driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

https://youtu.be/nm2-qs3DhDI
https://www.facebook.com/DailyMail/videos/285252679556093/

You just need one of these in addition to the fancy steering wheel.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Get a force feedback rocking chair that'll move you back and forth to simulate accelerating and braking

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Leal posted:

Get a force feedback rocking chair that'll move you back and forth to simulate accelerating and braking

VR Lullaby Grandma

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

There's a drift YouTuber Kame Trick and I may not be remembering it correctly, but he said practicing drifting in a sim isn't the same as driving on a track but the skills do translate. You still have to feather the gas, hit the brakes and pull the e-brake at the right time, and control your drift with the wheel. You're being asked to do the same things on the virtual track as the real track, you're just cutting out any vestibular (motion/orientation) and proprioceptive (your body being thrown around against a seat by g-forces) info. But racers seem to acclimate fairly well to sim driving (VR or pancake) as long as the sim is accurate. They just tune out the lack of information because everything else their body is interpreting is bang on

So I think if you put your boyfriend into anything where he has a steering wheel will be better than nothing. Especially if you're racing, he's going to be making quick, reflexive movements to either avoid hitting another racer or to prevent a collision, and living through that experience I think would translate into handling the situation better outside of a sim.

I'm not a good driver, I don't race or spend any time going to track days, but I do think that years of playing video games that require fast reaction times and split second decision making has helped me avoid some accidents on the road over the 16 years I've been driving

I could be completely wrong though so there's that

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would love a VR force feedback chair so I could actually get the feel of the road, but even then you would still be missing the feeling of acceleration.

There was a study done on pilots where they gave them Novocain shots in their rear end so they couldn’t feel the seat and they ended up flying like poo poo. VR needs to get some kind of way to simulate that kind of feedback at some point.

Motion platforms don't just bump you up and down, they tilt you. So you DO feel acceleration, by using gravity.

The thing is though they're like 3 grand soooo

And no VR doesn't really "need" that. Sim racing is already a loving sport, with million dollar prize pools. Its extremely popular and successful.

Now, you're right that if a pro driver jumps into the sim he's a bit confused at first because he's missing out on some stimuli. But after a little adjustment it works fine. You don't really need to simulate those forces.

Bad Munki posted:

Just drop like ten grand or whatever on one of those platforms with the half a dozen hydraulic cylinders, that’ll let you simulate up to 1g in most directions you’d normally experience while driving.

And unless you're driving a formula car you're probably not pulling 1g anyways

Penpal posted:

There's a drift YouTuber Kame Trick and I may not be remembering it correctly, but he said practicing drifting in a sim isn't the same as driving on a track but the skills do translate.

He's right. Its literally exactly the same and people have transferred both directions. All the handling is the same you just miss out on intertial pants feelings, but you can easily train yourself to adjust.

That said, all the VR sims are for driving race cars on tracks. There is no open world VR driving simulator. The closest thing is Euro Truck Sim. But driving cars in ETS feels like poo poo, so... you can practice driving an 18-wheeler :v:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 13, 2020

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Right. A pretty moderate tip backwards easily simulates a ton of forward acceleration. Throw a HMD on and the immersion is immense.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Penpal posted:

I could be completely wrong though so there's that

You're not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUm6zk3wWew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we3TLCKgij0

(Those are formula 1 drivers)

Also this year the whole pandemic shutting down car racing meant everybody was forced to go online, and... they had no issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99oNEHg-UJQ

Also, force feedback wheels will try to simulate many of the vibrational forces through your hands or feet that you would normally feel in your pants. Not quite the same but they do what they can even if you don't own a motion platform.

You can feel when the tires are losing grip in the steering wheel, just like real life. But you do need a nice force-feedback wheel or else its just videogamey controller stuff.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 13, 2020

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Anyone know how to solve for having a big head and glasses? For the quest I'm using the glasses spacer and with the straps at max I can wear it, but it's not very comfortable / secure. I can't seem to find any replacement straps that increase the size. Any suggestion?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I only watched the beginning of this one, but if the engine sound during shifts or transitions from acceleration to coasting or weight transfers (e.g. hitting curbs) were any indicator of drivetrain simulation, I'd say it's a terrible simulator. If it were to simulate the flexing in the drivetrain, there'd be engine chatter. I still don't get the hard-on for iRacing.

--edit:
In the second video, manual shifts manifests just a glide in pitch :psyduck:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 13, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

I only watched the beginning of this one, but if the engine sound during shifts or transitions from acceleration to coasting or weight transfers (e.g. hitting curbs) were any indicator of drivetrain simulation, I'd say it's a terrible simulator. If it were to simulate the flexing in the drivetrain, there'd be engine chatter. I still don't get the hard-on for iRacing.

Its an LMP with a hybrid engine.

And even then, if you want really accurate noises then go play AC, but if you don't "get the hard-on for iRacing" :jerkbag: its because of the multiplayer. Sound is pretty minor compared to being able to actually enjoy races.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Combat Pretzel posted:

Isn’t most of the stuff as far as game engine and simulation goesfor iRacing more than a decade old at this point?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Its an LMP with a hybrid engine.

And even then, if you want really accurate noises then go play AC, but if you don't "get the hard-on for iRacing" :jerkbag: its because of the multiplayer. Sound is pretty minor compared to being able to actually enjoy races.
Everyone's going on about how authentic iRacing experience is, up and including to doing poo poo like 24h Le Mans in real time, you'd figure authentic physics are a must. --edit: In case my point wasn't entirely clear, considering that sound generation ties into the physics simulation to some degree, at least you would hope so, and there seems to be a complete lack of engine RPM wobble under certain conditions, I'd say it's not entirely accurate. More so, when each sim community is making GBS threads on the others regarding physics-

Isn’t most of the stuff as far as game engine and simulation goesfor iRacing more than a decade old at this point?
I thought there's ongoing development.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 13, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The base of iRacing came from Nascar Racing 2003, since iRacing is the studio formerly known as Papyrus. It's changed and evolved a lot since then (iRacing has been around for 12 years now) though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Everyone's going on about how authentic iRacing experience is, up and including to doing poo poo like 24h Le Mans in real time, you'd figure authentic physics are a must. --edit: In case my point wasn't entirely clear, considering that sound generation ties into the physics simulation to some degree, at least you would hope so, and there seems to be a complete lack of engine RPM wobble under certain conditions, I'd say it's not entirely accurate. More so, when each sim community is making GBS threads on the others regarding physics-

Who is "going on" about it? I feel like this is serious old man yells at cloud posting Combat Pretzel. You seem like the one here who has a hard-on, if anything.

Nobody in the last several pages said anything about iRacing being authentic.

I explicitly told you the reason people like iRacing is because of the MULTIPLAYER, and you have now completely 100% ignored that to go on a rant about authenticity. K?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQmSUHhP3ug

Oh man this car is so fake, they better fix the physics in the Earth game

Somebody once said somewhere on some other forum that iRacing is really neato, so Combat Pretzel gotta make sure everybody on SA knows that is absolute bullshit! Thanks for your service buddy.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 13, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Haha, seems I struck a nerve.

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQmSUHhP3ug

Oh man this car is so fake, they better fix the physics in the Earth game
That car does exactly that what I was saying iRacing doesn't, which made me question its engine simulation quality to begin with.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Haha, seems I struck a nerve.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I still don't get the hard-on for iRacing.

Seems I struck a nerve :smuggo: dude please stop

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Seems I struck a nerve :smuggo: dude please stop

Your reaction was totally unhinged and it's far from the first time you've reacted like that in here, nobody's getting fooled.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I could never get into serious racing sims, I messed around with GTR and GT Legends years ago but never seriously got into it because I just didn't feel it. Dirt 1/2 in VR is a bit more fun but frankly it's probably cheaper to get a Miata and hit the back roads than it is to get a full VR racing setup and I'd rather do that any time.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I haven't touched my Quest in... probably several months now. I'm getting ready to fire it up a few more times and then sell it.

Are there any new sweet games that were released in the last 3 months? Any new free games that I should give a whirl?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Echo Arena

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
The problem with using racing sims for driver training is they are exactly that: racing sims. They replicate the experience of taking a car on a track.

What they need is a sim that replicates taking off with a touchy clutch and going through the gears whilst maintaining the speed limit, and understanding the car through engine rpm.

Changing lanes whilst indicating in heavy traffic, merging onto a highway with impatient traffic behind you. Parallel parking in a city.

Much of that is difficult without the motion as suggested - but it would go along way.

Of course that is such a boring thing presumably no one would want a game of it given the amount of work required for the level of fidelity that would be needed. I've never played city car driver but it looks like that's the sort of thing they're doing.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Spikes32 posted:

Anyone know how to solve for having a big head and glasses? For the quest I'm using the glasses spacer and with the straps at max I can wear it, but it's not very comfortable / secure. I can't seem to find any replacement straps that increase the size. Any suggestion?

There's lens inserts you can buy or 3d print. Otherwise a popular option is buying the Zen optical 'Harry Potter' style small rounded glasses.

The lenses can be removed for the aforementioned lens inserts, or alternatively you can simply wear them inside the hand since they're so small.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Isometric Bacon posted:

Of course that is such a boring thing presumably no one would want a game of it given the amount of work required for the level of fidelity that would be needed. I've never played city car driver but it looks like that's the sort of thing they're doing.

nah, there's decent demand for that. a lot of people would pay 15 bux for a small 1990s game town with some simulated traffic to drive in, just to get more comfortable with it. the issue is, you then also kinda need at least a wheel and pedals for it to remotely work, and of course a pc, and then you're suddenly in the $100+ range, and if you have all that, chances are you're already doing car simming anyway.

also, even without that, just having your 3 pedals, a shifter, and a wheel in your racing sim makes an insane difference when learning to drive in my experience. by a pure coincidence, i scored a cheap logitech G25 after my first introductory drive for getting my license, and i got some 20 LFS hours in over the weekend and my instructor said my driving was like night and day, and figured i did some illegal driving over the weekend until i explained :v:

this was before VR too, VR probably makes it even more relevant

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Spikes32 posted:

I've got the same issue and the only way I could get it to be completely comfortable was to get prescription lense inserts from https://vroptician.com. My glasses are wide enough that while they fit inside the headset they end up being wedged in pretty tight and they can get quite painful on my nose if the headset moves even the slightest bit.

I do also have a replacement strap for the Quest (one of these https://www.amazon.com/Esimen-Adjustable-Comfort-Ergonomisches-Balance/dp/B088ZNBBLZ/) which did help a bit as it means the headset isn't being squashed onto my face quite so much. It's also a tiny bit bigger than the stock headstrap, I had to wear the stock one at it's biggest size while I've got this one wound in a few clicks from the max size. Getting the lense inserts made it so much better, although they aren't the cheapest unfortunately.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

There was a study done on pilots where they gave them Novocain shots in their rear end so they couldn’t feel the seat and they ended up flying like poo poo. VR needs to get some kind of way to simulate that kind of feedback at some point.
This is the actual origin of the phrase "flying by the seat of your pants"

Like it didn't mean improvising or winging it, it meant having enough experience on how things operated that you got considerable information about the state of the craft from feeling the vibrations

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Isometric Bacon posted:

What they need is a sim that replicates taking off with a touchy clutch and going through the gears whilst maintaining the speed limit, and understanding the car through engine rpm.

Changing lanes whilst indicating in heavy traffic, merging onto a highway with impatient traffic behind you. Parallel parking in a city.
I wonder how far we are from insurance companies giving a discount if you can prove you can go through one of these sims perfectly

VR driving sims offer the opportunity to practice a lot of rare but dangerous real-life situations. I'd wager that's where a lot of accidents actually happen.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Spikes32 posted:

Hate to say it but... contact lenses? I don't wear glasses but my boyfriend does and he'd switch to contacts for VR until we got a Pimax which accommodates his giant noggin with glasses.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Grashnak posted:

I've got the same issue and the only way I could get it to be completely comfortable was to get prescription lense inserts from https://vroptician.com. My glasses are wide enough that while they fit inside the headset they end up being wedged in pretty tight and they can get quite painful on my nose if the headset moves even the slightest bit.

Second these lenses. My wife has used them for both Rift and Index, and they're stellar.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Spikes32 posted:

VR Optician makes lens covers to your prescription that have a pretty low profile - certainly less than glasses

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

drat I couldn't imagine the Quest was able to move Doom 3
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/irwgti/doom_3_for_oculus_quest_teaser_trailer/

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Quest 2 details have leaked in a pair of introductory videos.

Important info: xr2 chipset, nearly 4k single display, improved ergonomics on the controllers, 6 gigabytes of ram.

https://www.facebookblueprint.com/student/page/215397?sid=1898157&sid_i=13

https://www.facebookblueprint.com/student/activity/211338

So, that all sounds very promising. Here's a comparison of xr2 to the original quest's chipset:

If it's actually the rumored $300 that's just... wow. And with a nearly 4k display...

I really hope that headstrap is more comfortable than it looks and that they also announce a first party high quality wireless streaming solution for PC.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I'd definitely agree that I'm more interested in the comfort aspects than the performance. Current Quest performance is fine if you're Virtual Desktop streaming, but the unit is very front-heavy and uncomfortable compared to other headsets.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

It's rumored to weigh about the same as the Go, which had a similar strap and many people claim was more comfortable than the Quest. I never tried a Go though, so I'm skeptical.

I'm especially worried about it's ability to stay in place in the more physical games, which weren't such a problem on Go since it didn't have room scale. Hopefully it's at least easily replaceable. The best case scenario would be if they made it easy to replace and sold official "pro headstraps" or something, but I really doubt that will happen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tip posted:

Quest 2 details have leaked in a pair of introductory videos.

Important info: xr2 chipset, nearly 4k single display, improved ergonomics on the controllers, 6 gigabytes of ram.

Wow, Facebook's really going all-out to minimize their potential customer base :v:.

That is actually is really impressive overall though. I'm not fully up on TV's so I don't know if this is already the case, but if not I suspect we're getting close to cheap/-ish 4K displays breaking into the mid-price market. The next-gen consoles are clearly aiming for 4K, and there's rumours of a Nintendo Switch iteration that's 4K compatible (though granted there's always Switch rumours for anything), so a $300-ish HMD with a 4K display might not necessarily be too far-fetched.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wow, Facebook's really going all-out to minimize their potential customer base :v:.

The rumor is that the lenses are able to moved into three preset positions, so that combined with the large sweet spot they're able to give almost everyone a clear picture.

I imagine that means either less screen utilization overall or a slightly compromised FOV at the large and small ends of the IPD range. It seems like a pretty smart trade-off, hopefully it's true. It does seem to match up with what's seen in the leaked shots.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

BRB selling my Quest before the price craters. edit: some minutes later... I think I have a buyer already.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 14, 2020

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Hoping for improved field of view - I feel like I'm wearing a hoodie when I use the Quest.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tip posted:

The rumor is that the lenses are able to moved into three preset positions, so that combined with the large sweet spot they're able to give almost everyone a clear picture.

I imagine that means either less screen utilization overall or a slightly compromised FOV at the large and small ends of the IPD range. It seems like a pretty smart trade-off, hopefully it's true. It does seem to match up with what's seen in the leaked shots.

Yep, we discussed it one month ago with the first leaks. We don't know if it will be two or three preset positions, we will see. I'm not particularly worried in that regard because I use my Quest in the middle position, I guess that means my eye distance is average so it isn't something I have to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tip posted:

Oh yeah, been a while since that came up :doh:. FOV wise I'd reasonably expect to see around the 110-degree mark, to bring it to par with contemporary PC headsets, but anything beyond that might exceed the onboard rendering capabilities.