Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Phlegmish posted:

I'm glad to have contributed to your happiness. Seriously though, who is the goon behind the app? It seems wrong somehow that I don't even know their name.

Subjunctive, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Zonko_T.M. posted:

This drives me nuts. Half the time I try to look something up a Fandom wiki link is the first result and they are literally unreadable on my phone because of the ads and forced video. It happens with a lot of news sites too. If I can't see your content, why would I bother using your site?

I started using the android adguard DNS a month or so ago and it's life changing. It just auto blocks all the dang videos and ads and useless bullshit on any browser. I do get the 'image is not loading' script wherever an ad would be, but it's still better than the alternative. If you have android, the DNS server hostname is just dns.adguard.com .

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CJacobs posted:

GameFAQs is still good if you don't browse the forums because that's how you end up with Which Character's Boobs Jiggle The Most and Is Big Boss Gay and What Does Tali's Sweat Smell Like

Hey, be fair to GameFAQs. That last one was from the official Bioware forums.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hey, be fair to GameFAQs. That last one was from the official Bioware forums.

Yeah, but Bioware pivoted to making dating sims like a decade ago so we expect their forums to be nothing but horny weirdos.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Soysaucebeast posted:

I started using the android adguard DNS a month or so ago and it's life changing. It just auto blocks all the dang videos and ads and useless bullshit on any browser. I do get the 'image is not loading' script wherever an ad would be, but it's still better than the alternative. If you have android, the DNS server hostname is just dns.adguard.com .
Can you just specify that DNS server somewhere on an Android device and get the useless bullshit blocked, or do you also need to install (and pay for) the AdGuard app? I've had it up to here with recipe pages that are 98 percent garbage and 100 percent unreadable.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CJacobs posted:

Is Big Boss Gay

well, in MGS3 the only relationships he's shown to have with women at all are EVA (platonic) and The Boss (platonic). meanwhile Ocelot very very unsubtly has the hots for him, which he sorta ignores but is visibly OK with.

then in Peace Walker, depending on if you take side ops as canon, he has a thing with both Miller and Paz. everyone kind of likes to pretend the Paz ones don't exist because she's 15 and ew, but the Miller ones are pretty typically accepted.

then in MGS5 they go even harder on both the Miller thing and the Ocelot thing

i'm not sure that it's a question with a definitive answer, but i also very much wouldn't put it in the "stupid GameFAQs bullshit" file, because I gather it's a question you're supposed to be asking.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

His relationship with The Boss was not platonic. It was complicated as gently caress.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

well, in MGS3 the only relationships he's shown to have with women at all are EVA (platonic) and The Boss (platonic). meanwhile Ocelot very very unsubtly has the hots for him, which he sorta ignores but is visibly OK with.

He literally had on-screen sex with EVA at the end of MGS3.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hirayuki posted:

Can you just specify that DNS server somewhere on an Android device and get the useless bullshit blocked, or do you also need to install (and pay for) the AdGuard app? I've had it up to here with recipe pages that are 98 percent garbage and 100 percent unreadable.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Settings -> Network & Internet -> Advanced -> Private DNS -> Private DNS provider hostname: dns.adguard.com

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ishikabibble posted:

Yeah but like, platonically. No hetero.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ishikabibble posted:

i am extremely drawing a blank on this but it's also been years. i mostly remember the scene where they meet where he's way hornier for the 1911 than for her.

e: yeah I'm actually going over the end of MGS3 in my head and I do not remember this at all :psyduck: when the hell did that even happen? before Boss fight/ending cutscenes, or during the ending?

e2: :stare: ok, I just looked it up, and no wonder I don't remember it. there's two ways the waterfall scene can go.

1) you get the transmitter out of Snake's body before you meet back up with EVA, and you get a scene where they make a few vaguely sexual comments at each other and kiss, but don't go any further than that. this is the version of the waterfall scene I saw, and between that and the way she's handled in 4, I'd pretty much filed Boss/EVA into the Solid/Meryl category, where it was very tenuously a thing but not really.

2) you don't get the transmitter out of Snake's body during the Grozny Grad escape, and you get the above scene, but you also get a scene where EVA has to remove the transmitter herself, and it's framed to look like they're loving, to an almost comical degree. i'm guessing this is what you're thinking of, and i was today years old when i found out that scene even existed.

WeedlordGoku69 has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Sep 13, 2020

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

i am extremely drawing a blank on this but it's also been years. i mostly remember the scene where they meet where he's way hornier for the 1911 than for her.

e: yeah I'm actually going over the end of MGS3 in my head and I do not remember this at all :psyduck: when the hell did that even happen? before Boss fight/ending cutscenes, or during the ending?

It's like a sendup of the typical bond movie ending isn't it, they bone after the mission and then she leaves afterwards while he's asleep and leaves the message that explains what was up with the boss which is her voiceover that you hear over most of that ending while you watch the montage of him getting his medals, title and visiting the grave, etc.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Big bosses big boner

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Settings -> Network & Internet -> Advanced -> Private DNS -> Private DNS provider hostname: dns.adguard.com
Aces. Thanks! :tipshat:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Canonically Big Boss slept with Eva once and found the experience so distasteful he secretly masterminded Les Enfants Terribles to avoid ever having to do so again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Big Boss hosed once and failed his mission so he became a Volcell

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

I'm on Android 11 on my Pixel 4 XL, but for me it's under Settings>Network&Internet>Advanced>Private DNS then select Private DNS provider Hostname and just type in dns.adguard.com . I don't have an Adguard app installed, so it should just work with that DNS hostname, so far as I know.

Edit: that's what I get for responding without reading all the replies first.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/CursedAds/status/1305279079420178432

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Captain Hygiene posted:

Canonically Big Boss slept with Eva once and found the experience so distasteful he secretly masterminded Les Enfants Terribles to avoid ever having to do so again.

That was Major Zero you fake fan, and he did it because he thought it was such a tragedy that Big Boss would never pass on his superior genes. This is canon

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

That was Major Zero you fake fan, and he did it because he thought it was such a tragedy that Big Boss would never pass on his superior genes. This is canon

Big Boss slept with Major Zero?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

Zero himself was duped by Big Boss, the entire subsequent chain of events set off by the latter's fear of intimacy

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I told you GameFAQs' forum was a blight on humanity. Even mentioning it causes it to spread to other forums

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hey, did this super cursed poo poo get posted in here yet?

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1304842862266376198?s=20

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, so that's why chuck e cheese started a twitch account or whatever, because their joints are re-opening and they want to drum up attention

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Robot musicians are by far the safest performers to be around these days :shrug:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Big Boss hosed once and failed his mission so he became a Volcell

Yell "Volcel"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nostradingus posted:

Yell "Volcel"

:thurman: I changed my mind this whole derail was now worth it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CJacobs posted:

I told you GameFAQs' forum was a blight on humanity. Even mentioning it causes it to spread to other forums

your mistake was mentioning Metal Gear, not GameFAQs

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've never played MGS, but I ain't judgin'. None of us are free from sin here.

Although I will note that I'm currently playing a CRPG without attempting to romance anyone at all. Most of the characters in Dragon Age: Inquisition are kind of dumb, and by the time I realized this it was too late to go back to my backup choice of Leliana

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

your mistake was mentioning Metal Gear, not GameFAQs

...Metal Gear?!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Get with the times grandpa, talking about homoeroticism in video games and how it's cool and fun is all the rage now

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean talking about homoerotism is big in any medium.

It’s literally the only reason people care about nightmare on Elm Street two

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I saw Revolver Ocelot and Big Boss kissing and then they had a baby and he ran off in a giant robot.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I'm admittedly not sure what my point is, but just wanna comment that this great example of a horrible, horrible ad --- which tries to sell the notion that gamers are genetically superior--- got lost in a lively derail about who hosed whom in MGS lore.

God, I dont know what bothered me the most: "swimmy swimmies", the latinx couple beaming about their future "perfecto baby", or the fact that I still have no idea what that company is, does, or is trying to sell me, besides some "GAMERZ ARE 3L33T" poo poo.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Is it not a parody?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm admittedly not sure what my point is, but just wanna comment that this great example of a horrible, horrible ad --- which tries to sell the notion that gamers are genetically superior--- got lost in a lively derail about who hosed whom in MGS lore.

God, I dont know what bothered me the most: "swimmy swimmies", the latinx couple beaming about their future "perfecto baby", or the fact that I still have no idea what that company is, does, or is trying to sell me, besides some "GAMERZ ARE 3L33T" poo poo.

It's an ARG/satire commercial to promote HP's new line of laptops and streaming gaming service.

quote:

If you call the number for the fake "Bright Dimensions" line, you will get the following message:

"Thank you for contacting Bright Dimensions!

Are you a gamer who's interested in helping non-gamers? Do you have endless patience for their inabilities and short comings? Is your KD ratio in the double digits?

If you answered yes, you may be ready to become a Bright Dimensions counselor. In-person applications are now being accepted."

And then a really creepy voice sings:

"Bright Dimensions"

They don't provide any information on where to contact them in person.

The Official HP Youtube channel and website are updated and they made an announcement that they are going to be announcing something involving a streaming gaming service soon.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/slp/omen-gaming/laptops

Leon Trotsky 2012 has a new favorite as of 20:39 on Sep 14, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

tight aspirations posted:

Is it not a parody?

I was definitely expecting a Veridian Dynamics logo at the end.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean talking about homoerotism is big in any medium.

It’s literally the only reason people care about nightmare on Elm Street two

Apparently the director of NoES2 had no idea that there was a very strong gay subtext until he rewatched it years later for some YouTube channel and was like, oh, ok , yeah, i see it now, its super mega gay

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

tight aspirations posted:

Is it not a parody?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's an ARG/satire commercial to promote HP's new line of laptops and streaming gaming service.

The Official HP Youtube channel and website are updated and they made an announcement that they are going to be announcing something involving a streaming gaming service soon.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/slp/omen-gaming/laptops

Thanks for the explanation. I dont game, so I can't speak to how gamers feel about it. But if it were, say, the same kind of ad aimed at comics nerds, eg "I read a lot of comics, so I have Superswimmies!" I'd still be at maximum "ewwww", even if it featured an obvious parody like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.

It sure af doesn't make me want to have anything to do with its product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

It sure af doesn't make me want to have anything to do with its product.

The thing with ARGs and viral marketing is that people are supposed to "be talking about it" and generate buzz. Which, they probably did. There were a ton of articles about it and people re-posting it. I doubt as many people would know about HP's new line of gaming laptops without the ad.

Whether awareness translates into people buying it; who knows for sure? It's essentially impossible to get an accurate metric on whether how much a specific ad campaign impacts sales unless it is dramatic and sudden. Even then, it might have been an outside factor that you can't calculate.