Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

FrickenMoron posted:

If you play a tribal society, should you eventually move into clan or feudal?

Not yet. The transition itself is currently pretty hosed atm. You'll lose 2/3 of your levies, pretty much all of your income, all of your tribal buildings (with no replacements!), and the process takes far too long anyways. Without converting your culture and appropriating a more advanced domain you'll always lag far behind any of the nations that were feudal to begin with.

Also, there's a pretty good chance that doing so will weaken you to the point where some one county tribal is a threat to your dynasty. Currently, the process takes too long and is far too punitive. For a while your superior levels of troops and raiding income will keep you on top or at least at par with your feudal victims neighbours, but some of the other folks are correct in that once you start getting heavy into development they'll outpace your income, and possibly troop quality with enough upgrades.

My advice would be to wait for them to fix it, or stay tribal and see how much you can conquer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

So what do cadet branches do for me? Are they still considered part of the dynasty or what?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I hold 3 holy sites, why can't I reform the faith? The "Reform Faith" button is telling me I don't have 3 holy sites, but...

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Grand Fromage posted:

So what do cadet branches do for me? Are they still considered part of the dynasty or what?

Yes, in fact the whole dynasty system doesn't really work as intended until you start making cadet branches.

Without them, the position of dynasty head follows strict male-line primogeniture. Once cadet branches are running around, though, the position of head bounces between whichever head-of-house in any of the branches has the most soldiers (?)

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yes. Making a Cadet Branch makes you the de facto House Head of your branch. You have to be a House Head to become Dynastic Head. Being a House Head also gives you a bunch of powers over those born into your branch.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

Is there much of a penalty for destroying a kingdom title? Especially if I did it right before I die?

I'm the king of scotland and the king of a made up kingdom that includes most of scotland... so scotland itself is like 2 duchies. My succession plan is smooth except the kingdom of scotland title is being punted to the 2nd son since I have 2 kingdom titles. I figure if I just destroy it, those two duchies will be part of my custom kingdom now and everything should be fine?

OK, this just got a lot more complicated because now I can form the kingdom of ireland, which partition of course will hand out to yet another son. Here's how I see my options as a 69 year old with high learning who has more than a year to live.

The safe approach: Form the kingdom of Ireland and destroy both that title and the king of scotland. No sons can inherit them. Succession is smooth. Leave to middling heir to figure out. I'm not 100% sure how title destruction goes though.

The high risk approach: Use my once in a lifetime kingdom invasion CB to conquer Sweden, which is huge but unstable. I'd probably win but it might take a while. I'd then have enough kingdoms and counties to form a custom empire AND I'd have 2 holy sites, putting me close to reforming the religion. Also I'd be the culture head. The realm would be extremely hard to manage and my whole goal in the first place was restoring the Danelaw! I'm not even sure what would happen if I suddenly owned all of Sweden... would I inherit the vassals or would I have to parcel everything out?

The uncertain approach: I blitz the south of England, whose only real resistance would be Denmark and the Last (saxon) Kingdom of Wessex. Then, I figure I'd have nearly all the pieces to form the empire of Britannia and could maybe make that title... I'm leaning towards this but I don't know how to see the requirements to form it. This would bring me much closer to my og goal of restoring the Danelaw too.

Help!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ultrachrist posted:

The uncertain approach: I blitz the south of England, whose only real resistance would be Denmark and the Last (saxon) Kingdom of Wessex. Then, I figure I'd have nearly all the pieces to form the empire of Britannia and could maybe make that title... I'm leaning towards this but I don't know how to see the requirements to form it. This would bring me much closer to my og goal of restoring the Danelaw too.

Help!

Hit the empire mapmode in the lower right and then click on Britannia, it will tell you how many counties you need and how much it will cost

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

The reason to create a cadet branch is if some other branch of the family has hold of the House Head position (and thus gets hooks on everyone etc.). Create a cadet branch, and you'll be the head of it.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

So how did this turn out on release? I adore CK2 and like Stellaris a lot but it took a year+ for either of them to feel solid and worth buying at full price. Is it buggy/have enough content?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Grand Fromage posted:

Cadet branches create their own house within the larger dynasty. They're still part of that dynasty, but now have their own separate house head that can control a few things related to that specific house, whereas the dynasty head gets to control things related to the entire dynasty.

House heads…
  • Can legitimize bastards
  • Can call house members to war (at no cost)
  • Can demand that house members convert to their faith.
  • Get a Weak Hook on all newly born House members.
  • Gain monthly prestige from living and landed members of their house.
Dynasty heads start out as house heads for all non-cadet branch members of the dynasty (I think they're technically the head for the “founding house” and once cadet branches pop up, it'll be treated as just another house in the bunch but will most likely have a lot more people in it), and get a whole bunch of interactions:
  • Call dynasty members to war
  • Claim a dynasty member's primary title
  • Disinherit (and restore) dynasty members
  • Denounce (and forgive) dynasty members
  • End dynasty wars
  • Control dynasty legacies
All of these dynastic powers cost a bunch of renown commensurate to how powerful they are.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 14, 2020

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I only noticed one major bug and a minor one so far. There are some weird rear end stuff that's technically working as intended but will probably be changed soon. I'm having fun.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

RevolverDivider posted:

So how did this turn out on release? I adore CK2 and like Stellaris a lot but it took a year+ for either of them to feel solid and worth buying at full price. Is it buggy/have enough content?

yes / depends on how you want to play

theres really no challenge currently because the AI is critically broken in several important way

id wait for the upcoming patch personally but i think its $1 on xbox or whatever the gently caress so you can play it that way and decide if you want to pay full price

strong bird
May 12, 2009

like ck is never a hard game but i can get 5k troops that do 5000% damage and the AI doesnt understand what to do about it and theyll just keep funnelling in. i can just Not do this (and i do not do this) but it still limits what I can do if i want to keep the game even remotely fair for the AI. if you want a RPG kind of game id say its probably the cleanest CK release yet. if you're interested in strategy and warfare its definitely weaker than ck2 right now

strong bird
May 12, 2009

its also really sparse on events and the events you do see you see very often - the lifestyle skill tree events in particular. id still recommend the game to fans of ck2 but until they fix the extremely obvious glaring AI issues im not sure about anyone else

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hit the empire mapmode in the lower right and then click on Britannia, it will tell you how many counties you need and how much it will cost

Thanks. It needs 73 counties and I have 50. That's a tall order. I might try it and then go with the safe approach when my ruler hits the 'gonna die soon' counter.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Jeza posted:

If you have a nice stable kingdom/empire as a Catholic, don't ever bother trying to find secrets in your court. All it does is give you non-stop choices between losing a level of devotion or pissing off entire swathes of families/vassals as you compulsively throw them in prison for constantly boning their siblings/grandparents/peasants.

I believe this only happens if you actually expose the secret, just finding the secret won't cause any problems.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Ck3 definitely needs some balance patches and some more content to make different regions and cultures stand out more. Other than that it's a really solid game. I've already got more hours in it than Imperator and while certain bugs are annoying I reckon most things will be solved pretty quick.

It's also hilarious to play multiplayer, scheming and murdering friends. Played as dukes in France with 2 friends. I murdered one of my friends character the Duke of toulouse. The other guy, Duke of Flanders gets suspicious and starts looking for secrets at my court and find that I murdered our friend. Meanwhile the new Duke of toulouse blames the Duke of flanders, abducts and tortures him into revealing it was me. Unfortunately he can't take his revenge on me because I get imprisoned and executed for sleeping with the Kings wife.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jeza posted:

If you have a nice stable kingdom/empire as a Catholic, don't ever bother trying to find secrets in your court. All it does is give you non-stop choices between losing a level of devotion or pissing off entire swathes of families/vassals as you compulsively throw them in prison for constantly boning their siblings/grandparents/peasants.

Speaking as someone that owns half the world, this happens endlessly anyway

I find it funny that not arresting them gives a level of devotion drop, but instantly releasing them has no penalties at all "sorry ma'am, had to pretend I cared"

The only upside to all the adultery is I can force them to convert to Catholicism upon release

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

strong bird posted:

like ck is never a hard game but i can get 5k troops that do 5000% damage and the AI doesnt understand what to do about it and theyll just keep funnelling in. i can just Not do this (and i do not do this) but it still limits what I can do if i want to keep the game even remotely fair for the AI. if you want a RPG kind of game id say its probably the cleanest CK release yet. if you're interested in strategy and warfare its definitely weaker than ck2 right now

I feel like the buildings that improve the effectiveness of knights/MAA were a bad idea to implement in their current form.

strong bird posted:

its also really sparse on events and the events you do see you see very often - the lifestyle skill tree events in particular. id still recommend the game to fans of ck2 but until they fix the extremely obvious glaring AI issues im not sure about anyone else

There certainly could be more culture-specific, tenet/doctrine-specific events and the like. Right now that stuff is pretty sparse, the majority of events that I see pop up are related to wards, lifestyles, and secrets. Sure, there's the occasional event from my spouse or something interesting happens at a feast but it's pretty intermittent.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun but there's always more to want. I do feel like my rulers are more "different" from each other than in CK2 where I found a comfortable "pattern" of changing focuses to pick up the traits/bonuses I wanted because I knew where they were.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Btw, anyone got some interesting religious tenets that they'd recommend? I haven't tried playing with stuff like Sky Burials or Sun Worship, so I'm wondering if there's some hidden gems in there, since there's a lot to choose from when reforming.
Also if there's somethings that are region/culture specific.

Edit: For example, I think Ecclesiarchy is almost required if you plan to go big with your religion.

Sky Burials is great for getting an easy +20 opinion on all of your vassals on succession, plus a free disease resistance for everyone. The decision costs nothing and gives you a bonus. Unfortunately the amount of times you can actually perform sky burials seems pretty limited, I've only ever been able to do it immediately after succession when my parent died.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

HOLY CRAP

Not only did my current ruler get Tinder scammed but I think there's some Panama Papers level shenanigans when it comes to taxation?

I hadn't really been paying attention to the "Not Rightful Ruler" penalty, did you know that if you have that penalty you get half of your normal taxes and levies?

Well most of my powerful Kings are de jure under the Guinean Empire. OK, well that's where they started right?

Except there are 6 kingdoms right now that are de jure under Kanem-Bornu. One title got destroyed and I haven't got around to remaking it. 4 of them are poor-as-poo poo rump states that have barely half of their de jure territory. And that's because the 6th has been taking chunks out of all of them (including a duchy in my own personal kingdom) and then took over a kingdom in Guinea, making it his primary title so he gets the "Not Rightful Ruler" penalty with me?!

(I can't zoom out to show everything in realm mode but the territory outlined in white is his realm)

So basically I stand to increase my levies/tax a whole lot if I create the Guinean Empire. The problem is that I am in partition succession and I would need to get to primogeniture or destroy the Kanem-Bornu title to keep everything together? I am not sure how to go about this.

I am also thinking about just revoking one of this dude's Kingdom titles lol

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hipster Occultist posted:

Not yet. The transition itself is currently pretty hosed atm. You'll lose 2/3 of your levies, pretty much all of your income, all of your tribal buildings (with no replacements!), and the process takes far too long anyways. Without converting your culture and appropriating a more advanced domain you'll always lag far behind any of the nations that were feudal to begin with.

The transition is kinda hosed, and it's true that you'll always be behind (I'm about a century behind the feudal starters, in about 1240). But the transition is certainly manageable, I did it as Rurikid Ruthenia and am far stronger than I was pretransition. The key is that you really do need tons and tons of money to build and development all your holdings, and after that the holdings of your vassals (they absolutely won't do it themselves).

I only had about 3k gold when I transitioned, but I used Discover Secrets in the Roman Empire combined with Golden Obligations to fund redevelopment.

I would absolutely not want to deal with 13th century sieges with just onagers.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Transitioning to Feudal is absolutely not bad if you just save up some money beforehand, and are ready to spend some years just chilling while you build up from scratch. Tribals are insanely powerful in the earlygame, and I think that's what's causing people to freak out when they feudalize.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

Yes, in fact the whole dynasty system doesn't really work as intended until you start making cadet branches.

Without them, the position of dynasty head follows strict male-line primogeniture. Once cadet branches are running around, though, the position of head bounces between whichever head-of-house in any of the branches has the most soldiers (?)

While I'm not entirely sure exactly how it works, I can confidently say this is not true. In my Daura run my ruler was always a woman and was always the dynasty head with the dynasty having no cadet branches.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

So starting on the Iberian peninsula is pretty wild huh. Was going for the “form Portugal” achievement and just kept getting my poo poo taken by various Islamic emirates because my liege was too weak to fight anyone off because the catholic kings won’t stop annihilating each other. Probably historically accurate though. So I try to go independent since my liege has like 400 levies and I’m allied with England but I guess to win an independence war you have to occupy your liege’s land? So even though I’m much more powerful than my liege, he keeps getting occupied by Castile or Leon or whoever so I can’t get my war score past 86 ever and then all my sons died in battle and I died of old age.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am also thinking about just revoking one of this dude's Kingdom titles lol

Probably do this in the short run.

In the long run maybe make sure you own all of any Guinean Empire kingdom that borders yours so de jure drift will work (esp. with the new Chancellor job to speed that up?).

In the even longer run, yeah Primogeniture or constantly killing off spare heirs or making the empires elective and making sure the elections pick the same candidate, but at empire scale "making sure the elections pick the same candidate" is bloody hard.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Transitioning to Feudal is absolutely not bad if you just save up some money beforehand, and are ready to spend some years just chilling while you build up from scratch. Tribals are insanely powerful in the earlygame, and I think that's what's causing people to freak out when they feudalize.

While true, I think it needs to be made more accessible so new players don't freak out as much and the AI has a better time with it.

Additionally, there was this quote from a dev diary and I'm not sure this made it in the game, at least I did not notice it:

quote:

Cultures that have just left the Tribal Era will unlock innovations faster for a time, allowing them to catch up a little as medieval social and legal structures begin sweeping their lands.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 14, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I still just use ultimogeniture. Was especially nice with my latest succession since my emperor lived to 107 and even the youngest was almost 30

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Azhais posted:

I still just use ultimogeniture. Was especially nice with my latest succession since my emperor lived to 107 and even the youngest was almost 30

I also prefer Ultimogeniture, though by the time I was using it I actually had heir designation so it was largely ornamental.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I keep getting my game crashing when I try and load an older save, starting a new game works fine, and I haven't changed my mods any. I think other people mentioned it in the thread, is there any fix for this?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Note: if you destroy a title, partition will resurrect it from the grave. One year left and my realm is gonna fracture and I'm gonna control my 8 year old great grandson. I'm sticking with it though... well so long as my 1200 gold can keep my alive form any vassal revolts. I have like 20 people in prison and people gonna fear this kid terribly.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gobblecoque posted:

While I'm not entirely sure exactly how it works, I can confidently say this is not true. In my Daura run my ruler was always a woman and was always the dynasty head with the dynasty having no cadet branches.

Yeah what it does is follow your realm succession law (or the realm succession law of the current holder, at any rate). This will respect the designated heir from absolute crown authority, but will not follow the heirs of title specific elective laws, if this heir would be different than who the realm succession law says it would be.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Oh man, I just found out that there's a bonus to councilor task effectiveness if they're your friends. Makes the family patriarch perk line even better.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

Note: if you destroy a title, partition will resurrect it from the grave. One year left and my realm is gonna fracture and I'm gonna control my 8 year old great grandson. I'm sticking with it though... well so long as my 1200 gold can keep my alive form any vassal revolts. I have like 20 people in prison and people gonna fear this kid terribly.

This is true for confederate partition but shouldn't happen under normal/high partition.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

This is true for confederate partition but shouldn't happen under normal/high partition.

Yes, only confederate creates titles but as tribal you're stuck there for an eternity.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

OK, this just got a lot more complicated because now I can form the kingdom of ireland, which partition of course will hand out to yet another son. Here's how I see my options as a 69 year old with high learning who has more than a year to live.

The safe approach: Form the kingdom of Ireland and destroy both that title and the king of scotland. No sons can inherit them. Succession is smooth. Leave to middling heir to figure out. I'm not 100% sure how title destruction goes though.

The high risk approach: Use my once in a lifetime kingdom invasion CB to conquer Sweden, which is huge but unstable. I'd probably win but it might take a while. I'd then have enough kingdoms and counties to form a custom empire AND I'd have 2 holy sites, putting me close to reforming the religion. Also I'd be the culture head. The realm would be extremely hard to manage and my whole goal in the first place was restoring the Danelaw! I'm not even sure what would happen if I suddenly owned all of Sweden... would I inherit the vassals or would I have to parcel everything out?

Help!

since I just formed Britannia today, I can specifically tell you that you'll need 73 counties in Ireland, Scotland, and England to create that title. It costs 500 gold if you're tribal, 1000 gold otherwise, unless you have a trait/perk that reduces title creation cost.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I ended up nowhere near the counties for Britannia... but I realized I had several hooks on the dukes of Ireland and switch it to Scandinavian succession. You can't vote for a great grandson (my heir) but you can vote for your cousin... which includes his mother, future Queen of Ireland! edit: lmao same for kingdom of Scotland. Now I just need to hope he's her heir too, which I assume he must be?? He's her oldest son. I can't see yet because she has no titles.

Whew, lost Scotland but it's not big. Ireland passed to my mother and I am her heir and ally. That's gonna make being 8 years old more manageable. Whew. Sorry for the constant updates, this game takes up so much of my head space ha.

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 14, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Also is anyone not seeing the Raise Runestone decision, like at all? I don't think I saw it on any character this run, whether I was Norse or Norwegian, though I have reformed.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Eimi posted:

Also is anyone not seeing the Raise Runestone decision, like at all? I don't think I saw it on any character this run, whether I was Norse or Norwegian, though I have reformed.

Pretty sure the runestone decision creates a buff modifier in your home province, and you can't take that decision again until it either runs out, or you move capital.
I also think you can only take it after a ruler died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Pretty sure the runestone decision creates a buff modifier in your home province, and you can't take that decision again until it either runs out, or you move capital.
I also think you can only take it after a ruler died.

Oh like right after the succession? My capital doesn't have the buff but my current character is very old.