Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I like one episode a week. It gives you time to think about what will happen next week. But Binging a show lets you get the entire narrative arc and move on with your life, which is also good. I like that there’s a mix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Starks posted:

They’re right and none of the reviews were that long.

Entitlement is a hell of a drug

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Daric posted:

You could also just wait until they’re all out and then watch them. It goes either way. I enjoy being able to order pizza, pour a glass of wine, sit down with my fiancé, and watch the new episode on Friday nights.

I'm more of an episode a day kind of guy. I'm not someone who will sit and watch six episodes in a sitting, but I like being able to continue when I want and having the option to watch 2 eps in a row if I'm in the mood.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

zoux posted:

It's the end of the scene that starts with the eerily accurate country anti-abortion billboard

drat I completely missed this but it's an extremely nice touch.

Plan Z posted:

The show also really hasn't given her a reason to be part of the story, yet. In the comics, she was basically the only thing keeping Starlight alive and The Boys informed.

Seems like they've made Starlight more proactive (so she isn't as reliant on Maeve's protection) and she's also been given Maeve's informant role (although there might be something more there for her to do once the Boys are in outright open war with the 7).

The actress who plays Maeve isn't bad, she just doesn't have a lot to do and going up against Starr in half her scenes isn't helping her stand out.

PostNouveau posted:

"Honestly Maeve, I am really, really happy for you."

He cycles through like half a dozen facial expressions at the end there in a matter of seconds and every single one of them bodes extremely ill. It's been said over and over but Starr's performance is really blowing everyone else away.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Entitlement is a hell of a drug

Lol imagine defending amazon

There’s literally no reason for the company to release them week to week except that they can get more money that way

Starks fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 13, 2020

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

He cycles through like half a dozen facial expressions at the end there in a matter of seconds and every single one of them bodes extremely ill. It's been said over and over but Starr's performance is really blowing everyone else away.

I mean just that very last scene from episode 4 alone...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Starks posted:

There’s literally no reason for the company to release them to week except that they can get more money that way

Imagine thinking anyone here is defending amazon lol

People throwing internet tantrums about not being able to binge a super hero tv show are literally children

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Maybe it is liberty's plan to release them one week at a time?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
liberty/stormfront/clone would never do that to us and here's why

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
The only time I ever binged a show was the first season of Doom Patrol cause I was in the hospital for a week in June and all I had was my phone.

No visitors cause of hospital coronavirus restrictions was depressing. :(

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Imagine thinking anyone here is defending amazon lol

People throwing internet tantrums about not being able to binge a super hero tv show are literally children

Ok? No argument with that second part

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I do want to point out what a 2005 plot this show has.

There are now...... SUPER TERRORITSSS!!!

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Aww, Rotten Tomatoes is going to get the 1 - 2 punch of dorks complaining about the release schedule and dorks complaining about "racism against whites"

Remember like 3 years ago when entire seasons dropping at once was new and weird?

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Tenzarin posted:

SUPER TERRORITSSS!!!

Super Villains.

:Homelandersay:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Every supposed virtue of week to week TV could be had by just watching one episode a week, but people have no self control. Binge or bust imo.

This would only work if everyone agreed to do it at the same time. Nothing sucks worse than finishing a show years after everyone else got over it and not having anyone to talk to or bounce ideas off of.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I can’t wait for amazon to add in unskippable commercial breaks and for people here to be like “what, you can’t go without watching the show for two minutes? Go pee or something, Loser!”

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

if there's a "twist" with Stormfront, I imagine it will be that Liberty wasn't her first incarnation, that she's a manifestation of Vought's odious history and came over with the company from Nazi Germany.

I'm not even sure if that qualifies as a twist, though, given the obvious foreshadowing provided by Giancarlo Esposito.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Starks posted:

I can’t wait for amazon to add in unskippable commercial breaks and for people here to be like “what, you can’t go without watching the show for two minutes? Go pee or something, Loser!”

you might be taking this too personally

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Releasing episodes over time allows for actual discussion and theorizing, I prefer it overall (even with dumbasses like Bioshuffle). Starting out with three episodes released was good though too.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I, for one, welcome TV shows being TV shows again instead of 12-hour-long movies. Just ban people who are bad at posting about TV.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There's something about this show that attracts insane trolls I guess.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rando fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 21, 2020

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

veni veni veni posted:

I want to know why he always looks like he has a wad of dip in his mouth.

it's an extra acting muscle

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
maeve was vaping in the s1 deleted scene so maybe homelander is packing a lip

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I think the release schedule is pretty good considering it's only 8 episodes. 3 episodes to start with and then a weekly release is only 5 weeks total. It's not like we're waiting months for it like a network tv show, but it still has more staying power than just binging it all over a weekend and then moving on to the next thing. It gives me a little more time to appreciate things but it doesn't draw stuff out unnecessarily either.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

veni veni veni posted:

Every supposed virtue of week to week TV could be had by just watching one episode a week, but people have no self control. Binge or bust imo.
That's because if we try to wait or portion them out you have to blind yourself to social media lest you pop into a rando on Twitter/YouTube/Instagram going "Top 7 REASONS WHY Homelander being a NAZI SUPERSOLDIER CLONE is GOOD and 27 Reasons why Hugie and Starlight's BABY WILL BE EVIL"

veni veni veni posted:

I want to know why he always looks like he has a wad of dip in his mouth.
That look he employs where his lips purse and it's a mix between supremely pissed off, annoyed impotence and just a moment away from crying is so good.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 14, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Arglebargle III posted:

There's something about this show that attracts insane trolls I guess.

It’s about a comic book property

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can you even pay for prime video monthly? Seems the "more money" argument only really apples to a weird edge case of annual renewals that come up in September

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Azhais posted:

Can you even pay for prime video monthly? Seems the "more money" argument only really apples to a weird edge case of annual renewals that come up in September

Yeah, I think a monthly subscription is $13 or something. It's cheaper to just get the yearly subscription instead of 12 individual months, but if you only want it for a month or two it's not bad.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Look I’m not an Amazon shill but if you just cancel you Netflix account for a month or two Amazon prime has a lot of weird stuff to watch

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s not about subscriptions, it’s about engagement. Since making new shows is hard as hell to do these days, they want to keep you clicking on their service for as long as possible.

Wonder what the last prestige TV IP was to finish shooting before the coronavirus hit the fan?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

withak posted:

Wonder what the last prestige TV IP was to finish shooting before the coronavirus hit the fan?

Expanse season 5 apparently finished shooting in February

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

withak posted:

It’s not about subscriptions, it’s about engagement. Since making new shows is hard as hell to do these days, they want to keep you clicking on their service for as long as possible.

Supernatural S15 was IIRC ten shooting days from complete. Even cancellation couldn't end that loving show, god bless it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I bet A-team is faking his heart attacks.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jedit posted:

Supernatural S15 was IIRC ten shooting days from complete. Even cancellation couldn't end that loving show, god bless it.

One day I’ll pick back up where I left off (season 8) and just power through to the end. I cannot believe it just kept going for ever

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/P9QrIB3.gifv

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Give this man an Emmy just based on being able to sell visceral hatred of an infant in a look alone.

But in the end he did spare the kid, so maybe there's some humanity inside HL after all.

Starks posted:

There’s literally no reason for the company to release them week to week except that they can get more money that way

Money? I think you mean "engagement".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

veni veni veni posted:

Not when it requires everybody to have self control.

My watching one a week doesn't matter if the thread all binges and talks spoilers all day.

This is the only way to have a synch'd community.

Golden Bee posted:

I like one episode a week. It gives you time to think about what will happen next week. But Binging a show lets you get the entire narrative arc and move on with your life, which is also good. I like that there’s a mix

Yep, both are good for different reasons.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Honestly I think streaming services doling out episodes one week at a time is going to become more prevalent in the near future. 2020 must have halted production on an immeasurable amount of projects, so I wouldn't be surprised if new content releases slowed to a crawl for a good part of next year. A traditional weekly trickle of content will basically serve as a way to make it feel like "new" things are coming out.

That's just a guess on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the first in a lot of weekly releases and the reasons they've done it this way are probably not entirely unrelated to Covid. I wouldn't even surprised if netflix eventually started going that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mat Cauthon posted:

But in the end he did spare the kid, so maybe there's some humanity inside HL after all.

He finally found someone with a common interest.